Dr. Steven Stryker, MD

Colorectal SurgeryMaleAge 67

Colorectal Surgery

Dr. Steven Stryker, MD is a Colorectal Surgery Specialist in Chicago, IL and has over 44 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Northwestern University The Feinberg School Of Medicine medical school in 1978. He is affiliated with Northwestern Memorial Hospital, winner of the Gastrointestinal Surgery Excellence Award. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Steven Stryker, MD

Northwestern Surgical Assocs

676 N Saint Clair St Ste 1525 Chicago, IL 60611 ()
Telehealth services available

Telehealth available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Colorectal Surgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Illinois

Check Dr. Stryker's experience treating your condition or procedure

• MSS Colorectal Cancer
  • Nonpolyposis Colorectal Cancer, Familial
  • Rectal Cancer
  • Sporadic Colorectal Cancer
Hide other areas of care

Dr. Stryker's conditions and procedures:

• Diaphragmatic and-or Hiatal Hernia
  • Diverticulitis
  • Duodenal Polypectomy
  • Embolectomy, Thrombectomy, or Vessel Exploration
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Rectal Tumor
  • Inguinal Hernia
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
  • Intestinal Abscess
  • Intestinal Obstruction
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Ischemic Colitis
  • Osteosarcoma
  • Pancreatic Cancer
  • Partial Lung Collapse
  • Pelvic Abscess
  • Pelvic Exenteration (For: Gynecologic, Urinary, or Colorectal Malignancy)
  • Peptic Ulcer
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm and Dissection
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Port Placements or Replacements
  • Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
  • Proctectomy, Open or Laparoscopic (incl. Swenson and Duhamel Procedures)
  • Proctosigmoidopexy With Robotic Assistance

Dr. Stryker accepts

Dr. Stryker's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Stryker

Dr. Stryker

Very honest and compassionate. Talks and listens yo the patients concerns. However, hard to get a hold of. His assistance NEVER returns calls and rarely responds yo emails, even though Dr. Stryker says he is here if questions arise. It's crucial that doctors are there fof those who seek assistance.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Hanan Zayid – Oct 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
It’s tough to articulate the level of appreciation I have for Dr. Steven Stryker. I had rectal cancer and my tumor was in a horrific place. Dr. Stryker came up with a treatment plan – and he saved my life. His technical skills are beyond elite; yet his compassion is almost, (almost) what makes him stand out more. He listens; he’s incredibly clear about how his goal is for his patients to get the best possible outcome. I won’t ever forget his dedication; his uncompromising support before/during/after my surgeries and the months that’ve followed. Couldn’t possibly recommend him more. Whatever I write seems to fall short; Dr. Steven Stryker is an incredible surgeon – and an incredible person.
Jenny – Sep 28, 2021
Lzaander@
Aug 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr Steven Stryker is an excellent surgeon. I had a section of my small intestine removed as the result of cancerous carcinoid tumors. Prior to the surgery, Dr Stryker explained to me the details of the surgery that I was to have, and how he was going to do it. He showed my wife and I anatomy pictures to help us understand the area where he was going to operate, which helped put our minds at ease. Dr Stryker has the experience, and his bedside manner was absolutely excellent. He cares for his patients and it shows. I would recommend him to anyone looking for the very best in his field.
Mark Dreher – Jul 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I had a severe case of diverticulitis that needed surgery. I happen to be in the health field so I know quite a few people to ask their opinions on a surgeon. After speaking with both Dr. friends and nurses and one former student everyone and I mean everyone said Dr. Steven Stryker is your man. As it turned out this was a very good decision because my surgery was quite complicated not a normal run-of-the-mill Bowel resection surgery my bowel had blowing up so huge that all of the neighboring organs were fused to it fortunately with Dr. Stryker’s many many years of experience and know how he was able to get me through this crisis with flying colors. My husband told me that after the surgery when he met with Dr. Stryker that he looked visibly shaken from the operation that’s how complex it was but I am happy to report that I am now fine and thankful that we had Dr. Stryker. His bedside manner is fabulous such a nice guy Who really cares about his patients. Thank you Dr. Stryker
Karen H. – May 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker is professional and informative. He thoroughly answers your questions and explains what is happening with your specific concern. I would highly recommend Dr. Stryker to my family and friends.
May 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
From diagnosis to surgical follow-up, Dr. Stryker was a skilled, knowledgeable and compassionate professional. He took more than adequate time to explain the exact nature and extent of my colon cancer, discuss alternatives (robotics vs. regular open surgery) and provided a five year program of testing and post surgical care. His office staff and Northwestern Hospital staff are the best. There is no one better than Dr. Stryker!!
May 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr Stryker's throughout the past 15 years for the management of Crohn's disease. I am always confident in his care and would recommend him to anyone who needs to see a colorectal surgeon. He has been an integral part of my care team.
May 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I had rectal cancer, and I traveled 130 miles to see Dr. Stryker because of his reputation as a top surgeon. I was not disappointed. Dr. Stryker is very careful and thorough is all his work. I highly recommend him for anyone who might need colon or rectal surgery.
Mark – Apr 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr Stryker is awesome. From the first words he connects and treats you as he would want to be treated in an office, in an OR or in a patient room. He is clear in his explanations and his expectations; he is punctual and thorough. The staff respects him and bends over backward for him out of respect for his capacity and qualities. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have met him. Excellent surgeon, wonderful person.
Fabio Grego – Aug 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
As a colon cancer patient of Dr. Stryker's and having undergone multiple procedures with him over the past twelve years, I can unequivocally recommend him. His skill and experience are part of the reason he is regularly recognized as a top doctor in his specialties. His detailed explanations of what to expect throughout treatment and post-surgical recovery has always made me feel confident that I'm getting the best treatment available.
Mar 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Steven J Stryker to anyone looking for a gastrointestinal surgeon. After having a colonoscopy and seeing several surgical specialists, one even telling me to get my affairs in order that I had less than 6 months to live because surgery wouldn’t be possible with my heart condition. My primary doctor recommended I see Dr. Stryker at Northwestern and told me that some other physicians that he’d worked with used Dr. Stryker. From the moment I called his staff and started working with Dr. Stryker they were professional, down to earth and knowledgeable. They provided me and my family with answers for our questions and reassured us of all of concerns. They provided detailed explanations throughout the process and made me feel like I was part of the family. Even though others weren’t willing to take on my difficult case, Dr. Stryker had the confidence that they would be able to handle my medical condition. Over a year has gone by and I’m now able enjoy my life.
Frank H Sr – Feb 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker is terrific. I was impressed from my first visit, where we waited only a few minutes. He spent over an hour with me, making sure that he explained all options, weighing benefits and detriments, and explaining the process from prep through recovery. After surgery (a complete success), his follow-up was was equally thorough. In addition to his technical expertise, he’s kind, caring, gentle and considerate. I was told by people who are in a position to know that he’s the best. He certainly proved it to me.
Marty J. – Feb 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Wherever you are in the world, if you are looking for a surgeon with world class surgical skills who treats patients like members of his immediate family, come to Chicago and see Dr. Steve Stryker. With him, you never feel rushed, he answers every question in an easy to understand manner, he tells you things you didn't think to ask about, and at the same time makes you feel relaxed, confident, and safe. After living with ulcerative colitis for decades, which culminated in a diagnosis of early colon cancer, it was determined that I needed to have a protocolectomy with ileostomy (complete removal of the colon and rectum). Dr. Stryker saved my life, and gave me a surgically perfect ileostomy that has been easy to care for. It has been five years since my surgery and I am cancer free. I see Dr. Stryker annually for follow up and he is always warm and caring, so much so that I actually look forward to seeing him!
Jan 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker was truly God sent in my life. I'd been suffering from UC for 13 years and ended up with no other option but surgery. I had to have my entire colon removed in a three part surgery. Dr. Stryker took the time to get to know me and my medical history, was kind and patient with all my questions/concerns and his medical and bedside manners far surpass any of my expectations. He is easy to get a hold of and responds quickly. Also, he makes sure to give you his fullest attention while under his care. I would trust my closest family and friends in his hands and give him the highest rating possible. Thank you Dr. Stryker for helping to give me back my life after UC!
Effey – Nov 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
When I needed colon cancer surgery in September 2018 I was referred to Dr. Steve Stryker. My wife and I met with Dr Stryker and he immediately put us at ease. His level of personal empathy is exceptional. During our visit he explained in detail the necessary procedure and what we could expect. I couldn’t have been in better hands. The surgery went well and one of the first visitors I had was Dr Stryker. He was completely involved in my healing process, visiting my hospital room often, always with a friendly smile. Dr Stryker’s follow up was and continues to be excellent. His concern is exceptional. In my book Dr Steven Stryker is the best.
Patrick B – Nov 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I struggled with ulcerative colitis for 3 and in 2010 was at the end of the road for treatment by medication and required surgery. I researched all of the top surgeons in the Chicago area who specialized in removing colons -- and it became very clear Dr. Steven Stryker was time and time again at the top of most everyone's recommendation list. He has a wonderful and very assuring bedside manner -- and makes himself readily available to answer or address any and all kinds of questions or situations. I am my late 60's and it has been 9+ years since the surgery and I am pretty sure I have never been in better all around health felt. We stay in touch meeting at his office annually just to compare notes and stay up to date.
Nov 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker is a more than capable, easy to be with surgeon who has the bedside manner that can tell what you do AND don't want to hear with equal aplomb. His sense of humor is easy to take and can talk with you about anything that puts you at ease.
A fantastic doctor and experience. – Oct 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr Steven Stryker saved my life. When I was first diagnosed, the next few weeks were a whirlwind of tests, scans and appointments with new doctors. Everything was new, and everything was scary. Then I sat down in Dr Stryker’s office. He told me, ”I’ve seen this before. I’ve cured this before.” Meeting Dr Stryker was monumental. It was the first turning point in my fight against cancer. He gave my wife and I the confidence to say (and actually mean), “We may actually get through this!” And nearly five years later, we have.
Matt – Sep 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Stryker with no reservations. He demonstrates thorough listening to concerns, is equally thorough in his explanations of treatment and expectations regarding surgery and post-op course, and is exceedingly responsive. His staff is additionally very professional and courteous.
Sep 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Stryker?