Dr. Steven Stryker, MD

Colorectal SurgeryMaleAge 66

Telehealth services available

Northwestern Surgical Assocs

676 N Saint Clair St Ste 1525 Chicago, IL 60611

Dr. Steven Stryker, MD is a Colorectal Surgery Specialist in Chicago, IL and has over 43 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Stryker has more experience with Transplant Surgery and Colorectal Surgery than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Northwestern University The Feinberg School Of Medicine medical school in 1978. He is affiliated with Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Stryker to book an appointment.

Compare with other Colorectal Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Stryker with our nearby Colorectal Surgery Specialists at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Make an appointment at Northwestern Memorial Hospital today at (312) 620-1271.

provider hospital

These providers are on the medical staff of Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Stryker's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Stryker

Dr. Stryker?
  • Explained conditions well (50)
  • Office environment (50)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (49)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (4)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (4)
  • Difficult to schedule appointment (3)
Dr Stryker is awesome. From the first words he connects and treats you as he would want to be treated in an office, in an OR or in a patient room. He is clear in his explanations and his expectations; he is punctual and thorough. The staff respects him and bends over backward for him out of respect for his capacity and qualities. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have met him. Excellent surgeon, wonderful person.
Fabio Grego – Aug 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
As a colon cancer patient of Dr. Stryker's and having undergone multiple procedures with him over the past twelve years, I can unequivocally recommend him. His skill and experience are part of the reason he is regularly recognized as a top doctor in his specialties. His detailed explanations of what to expect throughout treatment and post-surgical recovery has always made me feel confident that I'm getting the best treatment available.
Mar 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Steven J Stryker to anyone looking for a gastrointestinal surgeon. After having a colonoscopy and seeing several surgical specialists, one even telling me to get my affairs in order that I had less than 6 months to live because surgery wouldn’t be possible with my heart condition. My primary doctor recommended I see Dr. Stryker at Northwestern and told me that some other physicians that he’d worked with used Dr. Stryker. From the moment I called his staff and started working with Dr. Stryker they were professional, down to earth and knowledgeable. They provided me and my family with answers for our questions and reassured us of all of concerns. They provided detailed explanations throughout the process and made me feel like I was part of the family. Even though others weren’t willing to take on my difficult case, Dr. Stryker had the confidence that they would be able to handle my medical condition. Over a year has gone by and I’m now able enjoy my life.
Frank H Sr – Feb 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker is terrific. I was impressed from my first visit, where we waited only a few minutes. He spent over an hour with me, making sure that he explained all options, weighing benefits and detriments, and explaining the process from prep through recovery. After surgery (a complete success), his follow-up was was equally thorough. In addition to his technical expertise, he’s kind, caring, gentle and considerate. I was told by people who are in a position to know that he’s the best. He certainly proved it to me.
Marty J. – Feb 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Wherever you are in the world, if you are looking for a surgeon with world class surgical skills who treats patients like members of his immediate family, come to Chicago and see Dr. Steve Stryker. With him, you never feel rushed, he answers every question in an easy to understand manner, he tells you things you didn't think to ask about, and at the same time makes you feel relaxed, confident, and safe. After living with ulcerative colitis for decades, which culminated in a diagnosis of early colon cancer, it was determined that I needed to have a protocolectomy with ileostomy (complete removal of the colon and rectum). Dr. Stryker saved my life, and gave me a surgically perfect ileostomy that has been easy to care for. It has been five years since my surgery and I am cancer free. I see Dr. Stryker annually for follow up and he is always warm and caring, so much so that I actually look forward to seeing him!
Jan 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker was truly God sent in my life. I'd been suffering from UC for 13 years and ended up with no other option but surgery. I had to have my entire colon removed in a three part surgery. Dr. Stryker took the time to get to know me and my medical history, was kind and patient with all my questions/concerns and his medical and bedside manners far surpass any of my expectations. He is easy to get a hold of and responds quickly. Also, he makes sure to give you his fullest attention while under his care. I would trust my closest family and friends in his hands and give him the highest rating possible. Thank you Dr. Stryker for helping to give me back my life after UC!
Effey – Nov 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
When I needed colon cancer surgery in September 2018 I was referred to Dr. Steve Stryker. My wife and I met with Dr Stryker and he immediately put us at ease. His level of personal empathy is exceptional. During our visit he explained in detail the necessary procedure and what we could expect. I couldn’t have been in better hands. The surgery went well and one of the first visitors I had was Dr Stryker. He was completely involved in my healing process, visiting my hospital room often, always with a friendly smile. Dr Stryker’s follow up was and continues to be excellent. His concern is exceptional. In my book Dr Steven Stryker is the best.
Patrick B – Nov 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I struggled with ulcerative colitis for 3 and in 2010 was at the end of the road for treatment by medication and required surgery. I researched all of the top surgeons in the Chicago area who specialized in removing colons -- and it became very clear Dr. Steven Stryker was time and time again at the top of most everyone's recommendation list. He has a wonderful and very assuring bedside manner -- and makes himself readily available to answer or address any and all kinds of questions or situations. I am my late 60's and it has been 9+ years since the surgery and I am pretty sure I have never been in better all around health felt. We stay in touch meeting at his office annually just to compare notes and stay up to date.
Nov 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker is a more than capable, easy to be with surgeon who has the bedside manner that can tell what you do AND don't want to hear with equal aplomb. His sense of humor is easy to take and can talk with you about anything that puts you at ease.
A fantastic doctor and experience. – Oct 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr Steven Stryker saved my life. When I was first diagnosed, the next few weeks were a whirlwind of tests, scans and appointments with new doctors. Everything was new, and everything was scary. Then I sat down in Dr Stryker’s office. He told me, ”I’ve seen this before. I’ve cured this before.” Meeting Dr Stryker was monumental. It was the first turning point in my fight against cancer. He gave my wife and I the confidence to say (and actually mean), “We may actually get through this!” And nearly five years later, we have.
Matt – Sep 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Stryker with no reservations. He demonstrates thorough listening to concerns, is equally thorough in his explanations of treatment and expectations regarding surgery and post-op course, and is exceedingly responsive. His staff is additionally very professional and courteous.
Sep 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker is the absolute best in his field in Chicago. I saw 4 surgeons before selecting Dr. Stryker and am very happy with my choice. He took the time to listen to my concerns and answer my questions, and took a very individualized approach to the surgery (unlike some of the other surgeons I met with). His approach to the surgery reduced the risk of complication and shortened by recovery time. He really tries to do the best by his patients.
Aug 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
It has been many years since I saw Dr Stryker and he changed my life. I was suffering from terrible GI issues and after he did different tests on me he said he said that he felt all of my problems were from food sensitivities and allergies, something no other doctors would explore. Dr Stryker is a surgeon and could have easily suggested surgery and I would have gladly gone along with it because I was so miserable. I was so grateful for his honesty and care. He’s the best there is.
Chicago – Jul 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I definitely will recommend him! Dr. Stryker is an excellent surgeon who has operated on thousands of patients with cancer of the colon, and his reputation has preceded him among other doctors and patients. I could not possibly have had a better surgeon. And it is also very enjoyable to talk with him in our appointments!
Jane C. McLagan – Jul 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I could not have asked for a more kind, compassionate, straightforward, and more knowledgeable physician than Dr. Stryker. He was warm, friendly, and put my mind to ease immediately. Everything he told me and prepared me for was 100% accurate. His level of knowledge and expertise made me feel very secure. I'm an RN and I look very deeply into picking my physicians and surgeons, and Dr Stryker checked off every box, and more. I will actually miss seeing him. Hes such a genuine person, and I feel blessed to have found him.
Marlene – Jul 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr Steven Stryker is an excellent, caring, professional colon surgery and colon cancer doctor. 4 years cancer clear after colon surgery. I am privileged to submit this rating.
Jul 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I have had the pleasure of having Dr. Stryker as my surgeon for the past few months. Through my diagnosis and my current post-op status, Dr. Stryker has been professional and patient with me. He set accurate expectations prior to my surgery. He has provided clear instructions to help me through my recovery. He made me feel extremely comfortable with my decision to have surgery. I trust his medical opinion and advice. I also enjoy his assistant Annabelle. She's very pleasant to communicate with and she responds to questions in a timely manner. The office atmosphere is comfortable and clean. Dr. Stryker and his office is extremely positive. I highly recommend Dr. Stryker.
Mahdi – Jul 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
Dr. Stryker is an excellent surgeon and a caring person. He has been a good friend in a difficult time and I would recommend him to anyone. He's highly respected by nurses and doctors - everyone told me I had the best surgeon!
Frankfort, IL – Jun 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Stryker to family and friends. The surgical care he provided was exceptional. I found him to be very knowledgeable and attentive to detail regarding the surgical procedure and post-surgical care. He explained the medical condition, surgical procedure and expected recovery in a manner that was understandable and responded effectively to all of my questions.
Midlothian, IL – Jun 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?
A gifted surgeon, but more importantly, a truly genuine person. His “bedside manner” is second to none. He made my wife feel completely at ease during a very difficult time in her life. Couldn’t ask for a better physician. Very highly recommended.
Bob Lippie in Crown Point – Jun 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Steven Stryker, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Stryker?

• Colorectal Surgery