Dr. Steven Raikin, MD

Dr. Steven Raikin, MD

Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  |
Dr. Steven Raikin, MD is an orthopedic foot & ankle surgery doctor who practices in Philadelphia, PA. He is 52 years old and has been practicing for 28 years. Read his story

925 Chestnut St Fl 5

Philadelphia, PA 19107

• Amerihealth
  • EmblemHealth
  • Keystone Health Plan East

Learn about Dr. Raikin

See how frequently Dr. Raikin performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Excision of Tarsal or Metatarsal
Resection or Ablation of Bone Tumor, Partial or Complete Resection of Bone, Debridement of Bone
Osteochondritis Dissecans

Dr. Raikin's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Raikin's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Raikin "Dr. Raikin is the Director of Foot and Ankle services and a Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson Medical College. He is board certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and specializes in the treatment of elective and traumatic disorders of the foot and ankle.Dr. Raikin has published more than 50 peer review scientific papers, presented his research nationally and internationally, and written numerous book chapters on conditions and treatment of orthopaedic foot and ankle conditions. He has extensive experience in managing foot and ankle problems from the most simple and routine to the most complex and limb threatening deformities. He is a leader in new technology and procedure development, and has performed more total ankle replacement procedures than any other surgeon in the region."

This content was provided by Dr. Raikin "To provide the highest quality care of surgical and non-surgical problems of the foot and ankle in a compassionate and caring way, so as to allow rapid, safe and comfortable return to function and resolution of pain."

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Elbow Sprain
  • Flat Foot
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Hand Fracture
  • Heel Spur
  • Hip Sprain
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Morton's Neuroma
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Non-Traumatic Rupture of Achilles Tendon

• Neuroplasty
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Posterior Tibial Tendon Reconstruction
  • Tendon Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• University Of The Witwatersrand, Faculty Of Health Sciences
    Medical School | Graduated 1989
  • Mt Sinai Med Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Mount Sinai Medical Center, Cleveland Ohio
  • Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital and Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre at Oxford University, England
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

• John J. Gartland Award for Excellence in Resident Education, 2002
  • “Best Doctors in Philadelphia” – Philadelphia Magazine, 2002
  • Chen Chan Memorial Prize, BOFSS Annual Meeting, Derby, England, 1998
  • “Best of Best” Award – Comprehensive Foot and Ankle Course, 2000
  • Dynamic Sonographic evaluation of personal tendon subluxation, 2004
  • Distal Tibial and Calcaneal Bone grafts in foot and ankle surgery,
  • Bilateral Simultaneous Fasciotomy for Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome,
  • Complications of Total Ankle Arthroplasty,

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Raikin to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Raikin's Performance
in Berlin, MD |
Dr. Raikin is the best dr. I have ever had. He reconstructed my foot and 1 year later I'm walking and am 100% better. Would recommend him to everyone!
in Coatesville, PA |
Several years ago I had a serious injury which devastated my right ankle. Not knowing any better I went to the local community hospital and they put things back together as best they knew how. After 15 years I had constant pain and difficulty walking. I then learned about Steven Raiken who performed a Total Ankle Replacement and the results have been nothing short of miraculous...I golf (walking), ski (no bumps) walk without any signs of a limp and am pain free. All thanks to Dr. Raiken
in Glen Gardner, NJ |
Dr. Raikin and his team were wonderful to me throughout my entire experience. I would never recommend any other orthopedic surgeon. I have to travel over an hour and a half to get to Dr. Raikins office, but there is no one else I would trust with my ortho needs. Not only is Dr. Raikin an amazing surgeon he has a bedside manner to match. Great choice if you want professionalism, quality, and peace of mind during your trying time.
in Marlton, NJ |
After putting it off for 35 years, I finally had surgery to correct bunion and metatarsal deformities. Dr Raikin achieved wonderful correction on one foot, so I returned a year later for surgery on my other foot. I was very satisfied with the entire process. It takes time, but is well worth the commitment. Thanks Dr Raikin for your excellent care!
in Medford, NJ |
Thank goodness for Doctors like Dr. Raikin. I went into the appointment feeling stressed and unsure of how my recovery would go. After one appointment both I and my husband felt sure that everything would be fine. He was crystal clear about the steps needed to reach my goal. I knew it would take work and patience and that I had to follow his instructions! I was totally prepared and knew what to expect every step of the way. Thank you Dr. Raikin! I'm so thankful I was in your care.
in Philadelphia, PA |
My ankle which had suffered numerous sprains was finally beyond the help of physical therapy with two torn tendons and a torn ligament. Dr. Raikin rebuilt my ankle so that I can finally walk pain free. Throughout the surgery and recovery, he and his team were with me every step of the way. I have total confidence in them.
in Oxford pa |
A long recovery as he promised but fortunately complete
in Chester County, PA |
The reason I would highly recommend Dr. Raikin is that I went to him for a foot injury. He is not the type of Dr. to quickly jump to surgery and will try to exhaust every last alternative before using surgery as a last and final option. I really, really liked that in him. He also has a likeable and approachable bedside manner. I highly recommend Dr. Raikin should you find yourself in need.
Harrisburg |
This is the greatest ankle guy there is. No matter how complicated or degenerated your ankle is, Steve will fix you. He's the best.
Allentown, PA |
Dr. Raikin and his staff are among the finest medical providers I've ever encountered. He was recommended to me by a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who believed I needed specialized foot reconstruction surgery. Dr. Raikin was extremely confident in letting me know issues I would encounter, when I would encounter them, and how long each would last. His staff was unbelievably responsive after surgery with questions and follow up. They are an incredible team! And...the surgery worked!
Upper Bucks, PA |
I 100% dislocated and shattered my talus 5.5 years ago. I ultimately ended up with 4 unnecessary surgeries, one of which was an ankle replacement that was wrongly placed in dead bone. After continued problems, infections, and constant pain I sought a second opinion with Dr. Raikin. He spent upwards of 45 minutes with me explaining the severity and complexity of my situation. I was facing a probable amputation down the line, but Dr. Raikin’s amazing ability and knowledge ultimately saved my leg!
Even though I did not follow through with recommended ankle surgery because of other health issues he was great providing me with recommendations and great explanations.
Warrington, PA |
He is very personal and professional. He fixed my foot and I have no problem with it now
in Philadelphia, PA |
My experience was excellent. From my first visit through surgery and follow up visits. He is very no nonsense but good to talk your through what your procedure will involve.
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin was great in giving me the confidence to get the surgery done.
Medford, NJ |
I have a lot of confidence having Dr. Raikin as my surgeon.
in Havertown Pa |
would gladly recommend Dr. Raikin to family and friends
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin performed an ankle replacement and hindfoot fusion on me. He is very good at explaining my medical condition and his course of action.
in Levittown, PA |
I suffered a Lis Franc break to my right foot. This is a very bad break. I am very active so I wanted to find a doctor that would not only help me walk again, but enable me to be active again. I was so happy that I found Dr Raikin. He explained everything that would be involved with my surgery as well as the recovery. I was up and walking within 3 months. My physical therapists were so impressed with my recovery and remarked that Dr Raikin has an excellent reputation nationwide. Thank you Dr R!!
in Philadelphia, PA |
When I decided to get a revision done to my foot and Dr. Raikin was recommended, it came with this warning: "I have heard he does not have the best bedside manner." This never gave me pause, because I decided I wanted the best to operate on my foot! To my surprise and pleasure, that person was so wrong....Dr. Raikin has a great sense of humor, is pleasant, and above all...took the time to answer every one of my questions! I highly and without reservation recommend Dr. Raikin!
in Wynnewood, PA |
I am 72 and I had total ankle replacement surgery performed by Dr. Raiken. The ankle was damaged 50 years ago! in a skiing accident and was full of arthritis. The surgery and rehab were a total success. I walk like any normal person, have no pain at all, and still do my stretching exercises (just to be a good patient). It even cured my plantar facilitis, which has been a problem for 50 years. I know other people who have had ankle replacement surgery done elsewhere and I feel sorry for them.
Perkiomenville, PA |
I suffered with a bunion and developing hammertoe. It really impacted my running but I pushed through the pain. It got so bad it hurt to walk. Dr Raiken helped me get my active life back. I am running the Philly half marathon again this year and broad street in 2018. Can’t say enough good things about Dr. Raiken and entire Rothman team. Thank you!
Avondale, PA |
I went to Dr Raikin for a second opinion about my ankle. I had been suffering in pain for 3 years. After several x-rays he came into the room and told me right away my options and what needed to be done. I am currently still recovering from surgery and look forward to being pain free! I will say try to book your appointments for early in the morning so the wait time isn't as long. However, the wait is well worth having the best doctor!
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin was awesome. Repaired my Achilles tendon and along the way told me everything that was going to happen. When he told me I was going to walk in six weeks I didn’t believe him but it happened. Any questions I had he called me back and answer them. I am now 13 months out of surgery and I am running and back playing some Sports
in Cherry Hill, NJ |
Dr. Raikin was the 3rd Dr. I visited for my ankle replacement. Dr # 3 recommended him as one of the best in the country. I wanted to have full use of my ankle with no pain. At our first meeting I was impressed and amazed with how thoroughly and clearly he diagnosed and offered solutions to my condition. No sugar just a professional knowledge that comes from years of experience. He performed my surgery, told me what he was using and why, guided me on the path to recovery. 100%. Thanks Dr. Raikin!
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin is a miracle man! I took my wife to him after dealing with degenerative arthritis in her feet for years . No one else in 5 years were able to her get any relief. The arthritis was so bad that Dr, Raikin ended up putting over 15 screws and 2 plates In her right foot . Prior to surgery my wife could not walk 50 yds without having to rest. 7 months post op, my wife was able to walk the entire Wildwood boardwalk . My wife can walk normal again. We are forever grateful. God bless him.
in Tuckerton NJ |
Dr. Raikin did a total ankle replacement on my left ankle in July 2013. He is a gifted surgeon with a caring bedside manner willing to answer any question, and is a no-nonsense straight shooter. After the surgery his nurse helped me with pain management I followed Dr Raikins post surgery instructions and had a complete recovery. Today I am pain free and able to enjoy hiking, beach walking and stand-up fishing in a rocking boat. I recommend Dr Raikin to everyone with ankle issues.
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin fixed both feet with skill and expertise. Loved my journey to wellness at Rothman.
in Frederica, DE |
Dr. Raikin is a consummate professional; he is very knowledgeable concerning all ankle and foot issues/injuries. Dr. Raikin is a pioneer in ankle replacement. A year ago I had a total ankle replacement and now I am without pain and able to walk normally. Before I decided on surgery he thoroughly explained my options and what I needed to do in order to recover completely. After surgery, I barely needed to use any pain medication. At my one year check up my new ankle is perfect!
Philadelphia, PA |
I went to Dr. Raiken for foot surgery last February because of the ratings on these type of sites and his reputation. Well my surgery was a disaster. Not only do I now have a totally deformed foot and need to wear special shoes, I suffered through five months of horrible nerve pain. When I asked Dr. Raiken if he could help the pain, he told me that it was out of his area of expertise. My advice is to find another doctor and not suffer through what I have.
Dear Patient, We are so disappointed to hear of your experience and would love to speak with you directly to gather more detail. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Philadelphia, PA |
Did not need any pain meds through out. You guys are the best! :-)
in Levittown Pa |
He did my surgery in 2013. He had no aftercare program. My foot was in so much pain and he refused to see me. He told other patients the same thing he told me " I never did so much surgery on a person's foot" . well I just had all his surgery re done. My big toe will never hit the floor and all the hardwear was removed. I was actually walking on a screw. Do not go to him, his ego is more important then his patients.
Dear Patient, We would love to speak with you directly to discuss your concerns. Your feedback is important to us. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Gloucester City, NJ |
I found Dr.Raikin to be highly unprofessional and condescending. It seemed that he had already made up his mind about my prognosis prior to evaluating me. He offered no guidance but found more time to be critical of my path of treatment. His cognitive bias attitude lacked any positive outcome for my situation and when I started to get upset he stated, "well if I had a magic wand that could cure you." His negative attitude and dismissive behavior overshadowed any clear plan of treatment.
Dear Patient, We are truly sorry for your experience and would love the chance to speak with you directly to gather more detail. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin did flat foot reconstruction on me 2weeks ago. I have minimal pain, was only on pain medication 1st week. I have some swelling but that's expected just need to follow his instructions. In 4weeks I can start to walk on it again!
in Pennsauken, NJ |
Dr Steven Raikin, MD, is an excellent physician with a wonderful "bed side manner" and is an extremely gifted surgeon. My daughter had her foot shattered and required extensive surgery, actually 5 areas had to be addressed, and my husband, daughter and I had 100 % confidence in Dr Raikin and his team. As a result, my daughter is almost back to all her activities. I would recommend Dr Raikin, and have, to anyone that has any type of ankle injury.
in Plymouth Meeting, PA |
I had a great experience with Dr. Raikin. He was so nice and explained everything that was going on with my feet. He performed two complicated surgeries to repair damage as a result of a rare diabetes complication. Because of him, I am able to walk normally and without pain. Highly recommend!!
in Medford Lakes, NJ |
Dr. Raikin turned my life around. He reconstructed my Achilles and peroneal tendons in 2016 and transformed me from someone with limited function and a lot of pain to someone who is pain-free and has no significant limitations.
in Dallas, TX |
Dr. Raikin performed my bunion surgery while my husband was stationed at Joint Base MDL. As a professional ballerina, I was very hesitant to have the operation. He gave me a realistic and detailed overview of the procedure, recovery time, and the work it would take if I wanted to return to pointe. I had the surgery in 2013, and have since returned to the stage as a principle dancer. Dr. Raikin and his staff are exceptionally talented and knowledgeable, and I am thankful for their work everyday!
It's been one year since my surgery and it's as if nothing was ever wrong with my ankle-so grateful, thanks.
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin was great! He answered all of my 14 year old sons questions with patience and compassion. The surgery went perfectly. Couldn't ask for a better experience.
in Reading, PA |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Raikin. I had 2 surgeries done by him (one on each foot) exactly 1 year to the day apart. Dr. Raikin is very thorough, was very considerate and open regarding my treatment, took all the time I needed to help me make the decision to proceed with surgery. Both surgeries went well. Dr. Raikin explained the need to keep my foot highly elevated to prevent edema. Now as a 73 year old woman who could hardly walk across a room, I have my life back. Thank you Dr. R.
Turnersville NJ |
I think Dr. Raikin is a fabulous surgeon and I thank God he was able to repair my foot and ankle and I will be able to walk again. Everything he said about the recovery was exact. My only issue is the pain management, which was zero. Phone calls with his nurse and follow up visits with him I was told I would have to deal with it but I couldn't, it was hampering my recovery and mental health. I would suggest to follow up after surgery with your primary care doctor. His nurse is rude.
in Selma, Alabama |
I had the best experience with Dr. Raikin. I broke my ankle 1year ago. Dr. Raikin put a plate and nine screws in my ankle. My instructions were given to me (which I followed almost to the letter). Everything he had explained to me was true. He did his job professionally and with care. He exhibited a wonderful since of humor and kept my husband and daughter at ease throughout this process. I am also a diabetic so it took longer for me to heal. I thank God for this Dr. And his abilities. Best Dr.
Bridgeton, NJ |
My mother's heel never healed right so she turned to another surgeon. Come to find out Dr. Raikin eft my mother with a staff infection. He never readmitted her to hospital despite repeated follow ups complaining of how poorly her foot was not healing properly. He only gave her topical creams to put on her heel/ankle, did nothing to help.
Philadelphia, PA |
Very knowledgeable and professional. Had foot surgery with Dr. Raikin, he was spot on. Followed his instructions and had a great outcome.
Malvern, PA |
He is very professional and thorough. A great communicator who really knows his stuff. I will not be having surgery with him but he made some non-surgical recommendations for me and I hope they will help. He's just very, very good.
in Cherry Hill, NJ |
He explained the procedure and the total time for recovery and prognosis. He was accurate to a T. The results for my foot and ankle surgery are outstanding. Highly recommend Dr. Raiken
King of Prussia, PA |
Dr Raikin is smart and highly skilled. He is serious when it is called for but can also be human and kind as well. His primary nurse is top notch too. The hospital experience was also a great experience. Thanks Thomas Jefferson. The Rothman office staff is problematic and do not communicate well. Keep tabs on them.
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr Raikin is the consummate professional. I recommend him to anyone needing a Dr. With his Specialty.
Very polite
Have you seen Dr. Steven Raikin, MD?

Visit Dr. Raikin