Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  |
Dr. Steven Raikin, MD
Dr. Raikin is the Director of Foot and Ankle services and a Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson Medical College. He is board certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and specializes in the treatment of elective and traumatic disorders of the foot and ankle.Dr. Raikin has published more than 50 peer review scientific papers, presented his research nationally and internationally, and written numerous book chapters on conditions and treatment of orthopaedic foot and ankle conditions. He has extensive experience in managing foot and ankle problems from the most simple and routine to the most complex and limb threatening deformities. He is a leader in new technology and procedure development, and has performed more total ankle replacement procedures than any other surgeon in the region.

Rothman Institute - Marlton

• Keystone Health Plan East
  • Oxford Health Plans
  • WellPoint

Learn about Dr. Raikin

To provide the highest quality care of surgical and non-surgical problems of the foot and ankle in a compassionate and caring way, so as to allow rapid, safe and comfortable return to function and resolution of pain.

Dr. Raikin's Experience

Dr. Raikin's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Elbow Sprain
  • Flat Foot
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Morton's Neuroma
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Non-Traumatic Rupture of Achilles Tendon

• Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Posterior Tibial Tendon Reconstruction
  • Tendon Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• University Of The Witwatersrand, Faculty Of Health Sciences
    Medical School | Graduated 1989
  • Mt Sinai Med Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Mount Sinai Medical Center, Cleveland Ohio
  • Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital and Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre at Oxford University, England
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

• John J. Gartland Award for Excellence in Resident Education, 2002
  • “Best Doctors in Philadelphia” – Philadelphia Magazine, 2002
  • Chen Chan Memorial Prize, BOFSS Annual Meeting, Derby, England, 1998
  • “Best of Best” Award – Comprehensive Foot and Ankle Course, 2000
  • Dynamic Sonographic evaluation of personal tendon subluxation, 2004
  • Distal Tibial and Calcaneal Bone grafts in foot and ankle surgery,
  • Bilateral Simultaneous Fasciotomy for Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome,
  • Complications of Total Ankle Arthroplasty,

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Raikin to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Raikin's Performance
in Frederica, DE |
Dr. Raikin is a consummate professional; he is very knowledgeable concerning all ankle and foot issues/injuries. Dr. Raikin is a pioneer in ankle replacement. A year ago I had a total ankle replacement and now I am without pain and able to walk normally. Before I decided on surgery he thoroughly explained my options and what I needed to do in order to recover completely. After surgery, I barely needed to use any pain medication. At my one year check up my new ankle is perfect!
Philadelphia, PA |
I went to Dr. Raiken for foot surgery last February because of the ratings on these type of sites and his reputation. Well my surgery was a disaster. Not only do I now have a totally deformed foot and need to wear special shoes, I suffered through five months of horrible nerve pain. When I asked Dr. Raiken if he could help the pain, he told me that it was out of his area of expertise. My advice is to find another doctor and not suffer through what I have.
Dear Patient, We are so disappointed to hear of your experience and would love to speak with you directly to gather more detail. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Philadelphia, PA |
Did not need any pain meds through out. You guys are the best! :-)
in Levittown Pa |
He did my surgery in 2013. He had no aftercare program. My foot was in so much pain and he refused to see me. He told other patients the same thing he told me " I never did so much surgery on a person's foot" . well I just had all his surgery re done. My big toe will never hit the floor and all the hardwear was removed. I was actually walking on a screw. Do not go to him, his ego is more important then his patients.
Dear Patient, We would love to speak with you directly to discuss your concerns. Your feedback is important to us. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Gloucester City, NJ |
I found Dr.Raikin to be highly unprofessional and condescending. It seemed that he had already made up his mind about my prognosis prior to evaluating me. He offered no guidance but found more time to be critical of my path of treatment. His cognitive bias attitude lacked any positive outcome for my situation and when I started to get upset he stated, "well if I had a magic wand that could cure you." His negative attitude and dismissive behavior overshadowed any clear plan of treatment.
Dear Patient, We are truly sorry for your experience and would love the chance to speak with you directly to gather more detail. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin did flat foot reconstruction on me 2weeks ago. I have minimal pain, was only on pain medication 1st week. I have some swelling but that's expected just need to follow his instructions. In 4weeks I can start to walk on it again!
in Pennsauken, NJ |
Dr Steven Raikin, MD, is an excellent physician with a wonderful "bed side manner" and is an extremely gifted surgeon. My daughter had her foot shattered and required extensive surgery, actually 5 areas had to be addressed, and my husband, daughter and I had 100 % confidence in Dr Raikin and his team. As a result, my daughter is almost back to all her activities. I would recommend Dr Raikin, and have, to anyone that has any type of ankle injury.
in Plymouth Meeting, PA |
I had a great experience with Dr. Raikin. He was so nice and explained everything that was going on with my feet. He performed two complicated surgeries to repair damage as a result of a rare diabetes complication. Because of him, I am able to walk normally and without pain. Highly recommend!!
in Medford Lakes, NJ |
Dr. Raikin turned my life around. He reconstructed my Achilles and peroneal tendons in 2016 and transformed me from someone with limited function and a lot of pain to someone who is pain-free and has no significant limitations.
in Dallas, TX |
Dr. Raikin performed my bunion surgery while my husband was stationed at Joint Base MDL. As a professional ballerina, I was very hesitant to have the operation. He gave me a realistic and detailed overview of the procedure, recovery time, and the work it would take if I wanted to return to pointe. I had the surgery in 2013, and have since returned to the stage as a principle dancer. Dr. Raikin and his staff are exceptionally talented and knowledgeable, and I am thankful for their work everyday!
It's been one year since my surgery and it's as if nothing was ever wrong with my ankle-so grateful, thanks.
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Raikin was great! He answered all of my 14 year old sons questions with patience and compassion. The surgery went perfectly. Couldn't ask for a better experience.
in Reading, PA |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Raikin. I had 2 surgeries done by him (one on each foot) exactly 1 year to the day apart. Dr. Raikin is very thorough, was very considerate and open regarding my treatment, took all the time I needed to help me make the decision to proceed with surgery. Both surgeries went well. Dr. Raikin explained the need to keep my foot highly elevated to prevent edema. Now as a 73 year old woman who could hardly walk across a room, I have my life back. Thank you Dr. R.
Turnersville NJ |
I think Dr. Raikin is a fabulous surgeon and I thank God he was able to repair my foot and ankle and I will be able to walk again. Everything he said about the recovery was exact. My only issue is the pain management, which was zero. Phone calls with his nurse and follow up visits with him I was told I would have to deal with it but I couldn't, it was hampering my recovery and mental health. I would suggest to follow up after surgery with your primary care doctor. His nurse is rude.
in Selma, Alabama |
I had the best experience with Dr. Raikin. I broke my ankle 1year ago. Dr. Raikin put a plate and nine screws in my ankle. My instructions were given to me (which I followed almost to the letter). Everything he had explained to me was true. He did his job professionally and with care. He exhibited a wonderful since of humor and kept my husband and daughter at ease throughout this process. I am also a diabetic so it took longer for me to heal. I thank God for this Dr. And his abilities. Best Dr.
Bridgeton, NJ |
My mother's heel never healed right so she turned to another surgeon. Come to find out Dr. Raikin eft my mother with a staff infection. He never readmitted her to hospital despite repeated follow ups complaining of how poorly her foot was not healing properly. He only gave her topical creams to put on her heel/ankle, did nothing to help.
Philadelphia, PA |
Very knowledgeable and professional. Had foot surgery with Dr. Raikin, he was spot on. Followed his instructions and had a great outcome.
Malvern, PA |
He is very professional and thorough. A great communicator who really knows his stuff. I will not be having surgery with him but he made some non-surgical recommendations for me and I hope they will help. He's just very, very good.
in Cherry Hill, NJ |
He explained the procedure and the total time for recovery and prognosis. He was accurate to a T. The results for my foot and ankle surgery are outstanding. Highly recommend Dr. Raiken
King of Prussia, PA |
Dr Raikin is smart and highly skilled. He is serious when it is called for but can also be human and kind as well. His primary nurse is top notch too. The hospital experience was also a great experience. Thanks Thomas Jefferson. The Rothman office staff is problematic and do not communicate well. Keep tabs on them.
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr Raikin is the consummate professional. I recommend him to anyone needing a Dr. With his Specialty.
Very polite
in Philadelphia, Pa |
Very polite
Have you seen Dr. Steven Raikin, MD?

Visit Dr. Raikin