Dr. Steven Potter, MD

Dr. Steven Potter, MD

Renal Transplant Surgery  |
Dr. Steven Potter, MD is a renal transplant surgery doctor who practices in Tyler, TX. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Read his story

1100 E Lake St Ste 340

Tyler, TX 75701

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
  • Cigna-HealthSpring

Learn about Dr. Potter

Dr. Potter's Experience

Dr. Potter's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Renal Transplant Surgery
  • Board certified in Urology

Dr. Potter's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Potter "Dr. Steven Potter is the Program Director of the ETMC Transplant Program in Tyler, Texas. He specializes in Renal Transplantation, Post-Transplant Care, Urologic Surgery and Vascular Access Surgery."

This content was provided by Dr. Potter ""Kidney transplant is the gold standard therapy for renal failure, so it's a privilege to be able to offer patients in East Texas the same kind of care that's available at the best institutions in the country."Steven Potter, MD, is highly qualified to step into the role of ETMC's transplant program director. He is fellowship trained in transplant surgery and is a board- certified urologist. He also has performed research in methods of laparoscopic kidney removal, helping to revolutionize donor surgery.Area residents have a lot to gain from Dr. Potter's expertise and experience, which includes six years at Johns Hopkins Hospital. "ETMC and I have worked very hard to put together a program that emphasizes quality and positive outcomes in transplant medicine. The people of East Texas deserve access to local care that's first-class, and that's what we intend to provide.""

• Renal Transplant Surgery

• Bladder Diseases
  • Bladder Diverticulum
  • Bladder Infection
  • Bladder Stones
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Chronic Interstitial Cystitis
  • Chronic Kidney Diseases
  • Congenital Obstruction of Ureteropelvic Junction
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • End-Stage Renal Disease
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Erectile Dysfunction
  • Hydronephrosis
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Kidney Disease
  • Kidney Infection
  • Kidney Infection, Acute
  • Kidney Infection, Chronic
  • Kidney Stone Pain (Renal Colic)
  • Kidney Stones
  • Neurogenic Bladder
  • Nighttime Urination (Nocturia)
  • Overactive Bladder
  • Painful Urination (Dysuria)
  • Penile Cancer
  • Polyuria
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Prostatitis
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Hesitancy
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Stones
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Vaginal and Pelvic Prolapse

• Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Lithotripsy
  • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
  • Orchiectomy
  • Pelvic Exenteration (For: Gynecologic, Urinary, or Colorectal Malignancy)
  • Prostate Removal
  • Renal Transplant and Nephrectomy
  • TURP (Transurethral Resection of Prostate) or Laser Destruction of Prostate
  • Ureteroneocystostomy
  • Urethral Dilation
  • Urinary Stone Removal (Litholapaxy)
  • Wound Repair

• University Of California At Santa Barbara
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1991
  • D Geffen Sch Of Med-Ucla
    Medical School | Graduated 1995
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1996
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1997
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002

Dr. Potter has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Potter does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Potter and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Potter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Potter to family and friends
Dr. Potter's Performance
in Cookville |
How does one even begin to describe Dr. Potter? He is attentive, compassionate, meticulous, brilliant, honest, humble, always available, and backed by a team of caregivers who put the patient first (teamwork beyond compare). Dr. Potter listens to and genuinely cares for his patients. Under his care, you won't walk the journey alone. He is someone you know you can trust to take the best possible care of you or your loved one. We have seen many doctors over the years. Dr. Potter is one of a kind!
Tyler, TX |
I was in the hospital in March of 2017 and Dr. Potter was there will an excellent bedside manner and wonderful medical advice. He is my favorite Doctor in the Tyler area.
Eustace, TX |
Doctor Potter is the best in his field. He talks to you and explains why he is ordering a scan or procedure as he does not want his patient to worry. He answers all question to my sanctification. I feel confident I am in the best hands at each visit. Thanks
in Whitehouse,Texas |
Great bedside manner, never leaves any questions unanswered. EXCELLENT DOCTOR!!! GREAT at what he does-SURGERY!!! Expects the same out of his staff!!
in Henderson, Texas |
Dr Potter transplanted by husband oct 28, 2017 and the surgery and his staff was magnificent! My husband and an amputation on his right leg along with other illness knowing it was a high risk he came through miraculously . He says he felt better than he has in his body in over 6 years. Dr Potter staff and himself has been there for us through it all We praise God everyday for sending this angel and his gift our way. I recommend him and his staff to anyone!!
Sulphur Springs, TX |
I am so thankful that Dr. Potter was recommended to me by another physician. I had horrible experiences with other surgeons, and I knew at the first visit to Dr. Potter's office that he would be my choice and an answered prayer! Excellent care given by Dr. Potter and his staff!
in Buffalo, TX |
My experience with Dr. Potter has been one of the best I've had with any doctor. I have had, in my lifetime, to see many doctors. He truly cares about each patient as a person. He values their opinions and treats each person as an individual. I have waited many years to get a kidney transplant and am so thankful that God led me to one of the greatest doctors I've ever known and I thank him from the bottom of my heart for everything he has done for me and all the patience he has had with me.
in Tyler, TX |
From the very first phone call I received from his staff to schedule an appointment for my son-I was impressed. I knew if his staff was a reflection on him, my son would be in great care! That proved to be the case! He set our worries at ease within the first 60 seconds of the encounter and although my son didn't need treatment or follow-up, Dr. Potter let us know he was available for questions or concerns in the future. WOW! Amazing staff, doctor,and practice!
in Carthage Tx |
I was told about a new hot shot kidney surgeon in Tyler when I started on dialysis in Carthage, Tx. Reluctantly I met with Dr. Potter, thinking he was going to be conceited and arrogant. WOW ! was I wrong. He is the most caring and through Dr. I have ever had. I love this man and his talent. And I had my kidney transplant with him and will continue to see him for the rest of my life. I trust this man with ever fiber of my being.
Corsicana, TX |
Dr. Potter did my successful kidney transplant back in October 2012. I was suffering from having to do dialysis for 3 and half years. After the transplant my life changed tremendously. He is an excellent surgeon as well as a good person. I still do follow up visit every 3-4 months, and he explains and pays attention to every single detail and jumps right on it if my lab works show any abnormality.
in Jefferson, Texas |
I am a kidney transplant patient. I was transplanted in April 2016. I would highly recommend Dr Potter as ones Kidney transplant Surgeon. He and his staff are straightforward no nonsense but very compassionate and Knowledgeable, and if they don’t know they’ll find the answer for you.. From kidney 101, social workers/nurses will help you through the process and once surgery is over the rest of the staff is there to help when needed 24/7. Five star’s!!!
in Henderson, TX |
Every visit has always been a good experience. A little nervous on first visit but the staff put me at ease. Every visit afterwards has been pleasant.
in Cushing, TX |
Dr. Potter is very thorough. He goes over everything very carefully and makes sure you understand. He welcomes questions and listens. His office staff is top notch and very caring!
in Longview, Tx. |
I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Potter to anyone in need of a kidney transplant. My experience with him and his staff have been exceptional .
in Alto, Texas |
Very professional. Detail oriented.
in Longview, TX |
There is great greater and greatest. Dr. Potter is the GREATEST!!!!! I say this because he CARES!!!!! I t-totally trust him and could go on and on and on...but people can use flowery flattering words only to sound as sounding brass or tinkling cymbals. So, I just recommend you meet him and see for yourself.
in Tyler, Texas |
Dr. Potter And His Staff Are Awesome! He Always Listens To My Concerns And Answers All My Questions To My Understanding. I Am Always Reminded Of My Appointment A Day Before, And Contacted If I Need To Adjust Any Medications. Dr. Potter Is Always Professional And I Trust Him To Do What's Best For Me And My Good Health.
in Tyler, TX |
Dr. Potter is an amazing surgeon and compassionate doctor and will do whatever is necessary for his patients.
in Daingerfield, TX |
Dr. Potter is a fantastic man and great physician. I've been a patient of his for 5 years and was a kidney recipient in 2013. He has enhanced my quality of life and extended the time I have to spend with family and grandchildren. I would recommend him to anyone.
in Nacogdoches, TX |
Patients in need of a kidney transplant – or have received a transplant – should feel honored to have Dr. Potter as their surgeon/urologist. He expects his patients to follow his medical regime and instructions. Dr. Potter displays empathy and personal care toward each patient. He definitely lives his passion and it shows in his work and patient care. A top-notch doctor and person!
in Tyler, Texas |
Dr. Potter is an amazing doctor. He makes my husband and I feel like family! ! I would high ll y recommend to my friends and family! !
Nacogdoches |
Dr Steven Potter an excellent surgeon and a humble person I recommend him to anyone whose searching for a kidney transplant surgeon.
in Ben Franklin, TX |
I would recommend Dr. Steven Potter to anyone needing Kidney care or transplant. Dr. Potter is kind and very caring of his patients. We are very grateful for the care he has given my husband during the last 7 + years, and since the transplant. My husband has had great care from Dr. Potter and his staff.
Dr. Potter is thorough and has great relationships with his patients. He treats them and their families with a great deal of respect. At times, it seems challenging for him to explain issues/procedures using simpler terms so that the patient understands what is happening. This is not specific to just Dr. Potter, but something I find to be true for most health professionals. Overall, I am happy with the care he provides. I do not know doubt he is doing the best he can.
in Tyler, TX |
Excellent transplant surgeon. Dr. Potter tailors your you treatment to your neeeds and the best possible outcomes. I feel blessed that he is here in East Texas and and performed my transplant.
in Palestine, TX |
Dr Steven Potter, MD. Perfomed a kidney transplant on me in 2010. I doubt that I would be alive today if it were not for Dr Potter and his transplant team. In my 77 years I've never experienced a doctor who was more concerned with his patients than Dr Potter.
in Timpson, TX |
I thank God for Dr. Steve Potter, he is a wonderful doctor and friend.He show me love when I start coming here to the ETMC First Physicians Clinic me and my family love him and his team like family! Thank you doctor Potter... love you guys.
in Tyler, TX |
This man has been one of the BEST doctors I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Not only has he taken care of me, but he has taken Great care of my wife as well. I trust him with our lives. Thanks Doc
in Tyler, TX |
Dr. Potter has treated not only the patient but the family with such respect and honesty. He cares for the patient and family and his willingness to take care of the problem is so amazing. We knew we had a great doctor the first time we met him.
in Longview TX |
Dr potter was impeccable he care about his patience welfare. I would recommend dr potter to others. My spouse has been under his care for the last four(4) years and his care was above reproach. Dr Potter is a true profession
Tyler, TX |
An amazing doctor that is very knowledgeable and talented.
in Corsicana Tx 75110 |
He is the best doctor ever!!!!
in Longview, Texas |
I am a post transplant patient of Dr. Potter and he is truly an excellent doctor. He always let's you know exactly what's going on and if anything doesn't look right he is quick to take action. He cares about his patients and is always willing to address any questions or concerns we have. His staff is remarkable. If an issue arises before my appointment they are quick to get me a solution.
in Ben Wheeler, TX |
This has been the best doctor I have had. He genuinely cares about my welfare. Since Dr. Potter speaks Spanish, I don't worry about being understood or about understanding him. His down-to-earth personality puts anyone at ease. I feel blessed to have him as a doctor and highly recommend him.
in Timpson Tx. 75975 |
Dr. Potter is A Great Doctor, As Well as A Doctor that's Concerned About his Patients. He has Changed My Life. For me To Be Back At Work, And Go back on Family Trips. Without Worrying About having To Go Back To Dialysis. It's A Great Feeling, Also Knowing that I Can Call his Office Whenever I'm having A Problem. I have Went Back To My Normal Life Because Of Doctor Potter. Until U Have Being in A situation That Mean having A Transplant. U Can't Never Relate to This Situation. Thank U Dr. Potter.
in Redlands, CA |
I trust his expertise. He is very attentive to all my medical concerns. He is one of the easiest doctors to talk to. I am very satisfied with him as my doctor and I recommend him highly.
LONGVIEW, Texas |
Dr.Potter is not only my doctor, he has become my friend. Since my journey begun 4 years ago he has been on this journey with me.
in Bullard, TX |
Dr. Potter was my Kidney transplant surgeon. You will not find a more conscientious hands on kind of a Doctor in all of Tyler, TX. You always know where you stand with him because he tells it how it is and in layman terms. He treats his patients with great respect, great care and dignity. He is a brilliant surgeon and a wonderful human being. Most certainly would I recommend him to family and friends. As a matter of fact, I already have done so.
in Arp, Tx |
Dr. Potter is a great doctor. He is very professional and cares about the well-being of his patients. He has a very caring staff as well. I would recommend him to all.
in Corsicana, Tx 75110 |
He is a good doctor. One of the best in what he does. I recommend anyone to see him that needs a kidney transplant. He gives his patients the best care.
in San Augustine, Texas |
This is a short review from the family of Phillip Ponder and his donor grand-daughter (Summer White). Dr. Potter took exceptional care of Phillip and Summer before, during, and after the kidney transplant. He was also very concerned about their families too! He wanted to speak with us, as well as them, and wanted us to be present for some office visits because he wanted to make sure that everything ran smoothly. He is the only transplant surgeon that I would ever recommend. He is one of a kind!!
in Longview TX |
I've been a long time patient of Dr.Potter and will continue to be. He has got me through some terrible health issues and I have total confidence in him.he is always professional doctor who is caring and takes time to listen to his patients.
in Flint, TX |
Dr. Potter is one of the most amazing, caring, fantastic doctors I have ever had. You could do no better in Dallas or Houston if you were looking for kidney Dr.
Richardson, TX |
I started out 7 years ago with Dr.Potter. His staff went out of there way to help us. My daughter decided to donate her kidney to me. Ryan (my daughter) had her own team that worked with only her. I had my team. I was amazed Dr. Potter is an amazing surgeon, he did excellent work. Dr Potter makes sure that you get his best at all times. I'm 7 years in and it is because of Dr.Potter. Thank you so much. Has a great bedside manner!
in Austin TX |
The ultimate professional, informative, detailed , humerus and when it pertains to kidney transplant I could not ask for a better doctor/ surgeon. Cam from Austin to Tyler at the ETMC to get my transplant done . At the first contact felt immediately comfortable ??thanks also to his great staff
in Mineola, TX |
Best doctor we have ever seen. Very concerned about his patients. Very thorough and remembers everything from name to anniversary date! Would recommend him to anyone.
in Tyler, TX |
Thoroughly amazed each time we have a visit. Could not ask for better care for my Mother. Dr Potter is very thorough, very on top of things, and knows his craft. Most of all he is caring and so very dedicated to his patients as well as the family. Honestly, I cannot say enough about how impressed I continue to be with him.
in Lufkin, TX |
Dr Potter is very caring and concerned about your health.
in White Oak, TX |
He was very kind and straightforward about my health. He was very knowledgeable about transplant issues and how to deal with life after the surgery. I had been treated for my transplant in the Houston area for several years before moving to east Texas. I found Dr. Potter to be so much kinder and more concerned for me as a person than they made me feel in Houston.
in Palestine, TX |
Dr. Potter performed my kidney transplant Dec 2016 and it's been very successful. I'm a 73 year old male with a living donor (my daughter). He's monitored my progress regularly and adjusted meds as needed. He's very competent and caring.
Have you seen Dr. Steven Potter, MD?
Are you Dr. Potter?

Visit Dr. Potter

Dr. Potter accepts 25 insurance carriers
    Aetna PPO
    Medicare Advantage PPO
    Teacher Retirement System
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
    Medicaid HMO
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Beech Street (Multiplan) PPO
    Blue Choice
  • Cigna-HealthSpring
    Cigna-HealthSpring HMO
    Medicare Choice Plus PPO
  • Coastal Comp Health Network (CCHN)
  • CorVel