Dr. Steven Merkow, MD

Dr. Steven Merkow, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
I received my undergraduate and medical degrees from the University of WI -Madison. I then trained in General Surgery for 2 years at Hennepin Co. Medical Ctr in Minneapolis,MN. Formal Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine residency was at Tufts University in Boston MA. I have had a very fulfilling career while raising 4 wonderful children with my wife (Dr. Ann Bartos Merkow). Some highlights of my career are listed: I have been involved with the care of athletes at Arrowhead HS since 1988. I served for 15 years on the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association Medical Advisory Board Recent past president of the University of WI Medical Alumni Association Member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine Member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America.

N15W28300 Golf Rd

Pewaukee, WI 53072

• American Enterprise Group
  • American Republic
  • Golden Rule
  • Medico
  • NGS CoreSource

Learn about Dr. Merkow

See how frequently Dr. Merkow performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Knee Disorders
Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
Knee Sprain

Dr. Merkow's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Merkow "Emphasize listening to my patients. Tailoring their care to their needs and giving my opinion on what I feel is in their best interest. I utilize injury specific physical therapy as well."

• Orthopedic Hip Surgery

• Coccygeal Pain
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus

• Knee Surgery
  • Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Separated Femoral Epiphysis Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Total Knee Arthroplasty With Robotic Assistance
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Wisconsin.

• University Of Wisconsin / Madison
  • Tufts-New End Med Ctr
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985
  • Sports Med
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1985

Dr. Merkow has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Merkow does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Merkow and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Merkow's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Merkow to family and friends
4.0
Dr. Merkow Says:

I try as best to my ability to give each individual patient the time they require. There are times that there are unforeseen issues that arise that require additional time for a given patient.

Dr. Merkow's Performance
in Waukesha |
I had a total right hip replacement 13 days ago and just had my post-op appointment. I walked into his office without any assistance such as a walker or cane and no longer taking any prescription pain medicine. Everything is moving as it should and I cannot thank Dr. Merkow enough. I'm going back to work in 2 weeks with anticipation to being fully recovered by mid-December. Dr. Merkow's Administrative Assistant, Kelly and Julie his PA are wonderful and attentive and answered all my questions.
Lake Geneva, WI |
DR. Merkow recently performed knee surgery on me and I was extremely satisfied with the results. I would highly recommend him and his staff without hesitation. Very friendly, caring and professional. And no pain whatsoever!
in Oconomowoc, WI |
Anterior hip replacement surgery had no complications. I was up and walking 4-1/2 hours after surgery. I did physical therapy at home on my own schedule. I am back to work 4 weeks later.
in Waukesha, WI |
Dr. Merkow took the time to answer all of my questions. He has taken good of me through two replacement hip surgeries.
in Waukesha, WI |
Dr. Steve provided most excellent care throughout my knee replacement. Procedure was well-explained; preparation was well-guided; surgery went flawlessly; recovery as pain-free as possible; followup was caring, well-monitored; physical therapy was expert, proceeded rapidly; 8 weeks post-surgery I'm well-recovered. Nurse Practitioner Cynthia was so knowledgeable/helpful, monitoring and explaining everything. Administrative Assistant Kelly made communication easy/clear. Thank you all so very much!
Waukesha, WI |
Dr. Merkow does a wonderful j0ob of explaining what needs to be done. He is through and takes time to answer questions. I have had two major surgeries by him, and would recommend him anytime.
Waukesha, WI |
I was very pleased with my initial consultation with Dr. Merkow. He and his staff were prompt, professional, knowledgeable and made the experience as seamless as possible. All questions were answered and options provided.
Waukesha, WI |
You know, It seems kind of ironic that one of the surveryors said " I have found no arrogance in Dr. Merkow" Hmmm, What an opening statement. A few years back I had a total hip replacement my Dr. Merkow. When the pain never ceased, I saw him and he said to me, Quote " there is nothing wrong with you, you are a drug addict looking for drugs!!" Then shortly after I received a letter stating " I am no longer his patient." I was put on disability because of my hip he supposedly fixed!!!
Menomonee Falls, WI |
My experience with Dr. Merkow and the entire staff at Orthopedic Associates of Wisconsin in Pewaukee was excellent. I received an accurate evaluation of my knee and made the decision to do a simple procedure. The surgery was a success. Dr. Merkow was able to stop my knee from locking up as it was doing. I was walking in a few days and returned to my daily activities and responsibilities within a week! I would highly recommend Dr Merkow and his orthopedic expertise! -Jamie
Milwaukee, WI |
First off there is not a gram of arrogance in Dr Merkow. He was friendly, knowledgeable and reassuring. He explained the procedure, why he did what he did, and the results I could expect. At the same time, when I did something to jeopardize the surgery he was firm without being rude. Best of all, my recovery went so well that the physical therapist commented that if all surgeries went like mine, she would have the easiest job in the world. Thanks Doc!
in Waukesha, WI |
Dr. Merkow is AWESOME! He is an excellent surgeon. I recently had total knee replacement surgery done. He was very informative, worked with me on the pain medication, is very kind and compassionate and has a great bedside manner. He gave me the feeling that I could trust him completely with my surgery. I will be having my other knee done, and will be going back to Dr. Merkow for sure. I couldn't have had a better experience.
in Muskego, WI |
I appreciated Dr. Merkow's down to earth manner. He got right down to business but didn't make me feel rushed. He took plenty of time to answer my questions and make recommendations.
in Delafield, WI |
Clear information, direct response. All with a friendly supportive style.
in Lake Geneva, WI |
I saw Dr. Merkow this morning with a knee problem. He is the true specialist in diagnosing the medical problems you come in with. He is a very caring doctor and truly tries to do the best to alleviate your pain or issues. I would highly recommend Dr. Merkow to anyone that has orthopedic medical problems. I trust him with all my medical care implicitly.
in Waukesha, WI |
thorough, friendly, professional. explained options in a neutral manner.
in Pewaukee, WI |
Dr. Merkow is very friendly and spoke to us in words we understood. He thoroughly explained my injury and my options. The surgery went well.
in Wales, WI |
Dr. Merkow is very thorough when explaining the condition and how to resolve the problems. Always will take the time to listen to my concerns and answer any questions I may have . I have had two knee surgical procedures and in both cases I had excellent results and minimal pain. I trust his expertise and knowledge . I would highly recomm him to anyone needing orthopedic evaluation.
in Waukesha, WI |
He was excellent at diagnosing my knee problem. He is a very friendly guy and very accommodating with scheduling time for me.
in Mukwonago, WI |
Since 1990, Dr. Merkow has done 3 surgeries on me with sincere concern & dedication to a successful outcome each time. He is extremely knowledgeable and talented in his medical ability. He has a wonderful caring "bedside manner" and refreshingly, is not hindered by an annoying ego. He is my "go-to guy" for my mishaps from play. I called w/a problem on a Friday, was able to get in on the following Monday - had initial appt, x-rays & necessary MRI, stayed for follow-up, and got my results ASAP
in Oconomowoc Wi |
Good at diagnosing. Very good with locating and injecting steroid into a joint.
in Oconomowoc Wi |
Dr. Merkow was great! He listened to my concerns,was patient, and when it came to do a knee replacement on my right knee I was walking on my own in a week. I would recommend Dr. Merkow at any time. He was the best.
in Brookfield, WI |
Saw Dr. Merkow for second opinion. He has a calm and reassuring manner. He spent a long time answering all my questions. I was very satisfied.
Was not please him at all this time around. Call me a liar when he doesn't know the office policies. He should check first before telling someone no & shaking his head.
Brookfield, WI |
Very poor bedside manner. Misdiagnosed and then became very defensive and accusatory.. Almost caused a death.
Have you seen Dr. Steven Merkow, MD?
Are you Dr. Merkow?