Dr. Steven Koos, MD

Dr. Steven Koos, MD

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery  |

Dr. Steven Koos specializes in oral and maxillofacial surgery and treats a wide variety of patients of all ages. He has also been placing dental implants for over a decade now, has extensive experience in implantology, and has successfully treated thousands of Chicago dental implant patients. Dr. Koos is one of only a handful of dual-degreed oral and maxillofacial surgeons in the country, and as both a physician and dental surgeon he has the special expertise to comprehensively treat complex oral conditions. He graduated from Northwestern University Dental School and also obtained a Medical Degree from Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Koos furthered his training and education through a six year intensive residency program focused in General Surgery, Anesthesiology, and oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at University Hospitals of Cleveland, Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital, Mt Sinai Hospital, and MetroHealth Hospital of Cleveland. Dr. Koos prides himself on giving focused attention to his patients' needs, empowering patients with a thorough understanding of treatment options and extending compassionate care. He has been fortunate to even receive the Patient's Choice Award due to his consistent exceptional care. Dr. Koos is a member of the International Congress of oral Implantologists, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, the Computer Aided Implantology Academy, the American Association of oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, the International Association of oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, the American Medical Association, the American Dental Association, the Illinois Society of oral and Maxiilofacial Surgeons, and the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology. All patients that come to see Dr. Koos, with his extensive training in anesthesia, are afforded the ability to have either sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the complexity of their treatment and their desired level of comfort.

ORA Oral Surgery & Implant Studio

• Mutual of Omaha
  • Preferred Medical Plan
  • Principal Financial Group

Learn about Dr. Koos

We deliver comprehensive oral and maxillofacial surgery surgical services in a compassionate, attentive and caring manner. As some of only a handful of dual-degree maxillofacial surgeons with both medical and dental degrees, Dr. Koos and Dr. Schrotenboer utilize their extensive training in both medicine, dentistry and surgery to offer the most skilled and technologically advanced treatment available. All procedures are carried out with comfortable sedation for a relaxed and pain-free dental surgery experience.

• Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

• Facial Trauma
  • Fear of Teeth
  • Geographic Tongue
  • Gum Cancer
  • Gummy Smile (Oversized Gingiva)
  • Impacted Teeth

• Excision of Submandibular Gland
  • Extraction of Wisdom Tooth
  • Facial Implant Surgery
  • Foreign Body Removal
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Total Joint Replacement
  • Venipuncture
  • Wrinkle Removal
  • X-Ray

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Loyola University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2004
  • Northwestern University Dental School
    Other Education | Completed 1996

• German

Dr. Koos does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Koos and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Koos' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Koos to family and friends
Dr. Koos Says:

My team and I have been very fortunate to have received such strong, outspoken, and positive feedback from patients.  This can be seen in over 1000 cumulative 5 star reviews from all around the web - both here on Healthgrades and on Google, Yelp, Demandforce, Vitals, Dr. Oogle, Rate MDs, Yahoo Local, Dex Knows, etc.

We are 100% committed to providing the very best and most attentive...

Dr. Koos' Performance
in Chicago, IL |
Koos and the entire team that he has assembled at Ora are outstanding. You can tell by his professionalism, leadership and attentiveness to his patients has trickled down to his entire staff who represent the same demeanor.
in Chicago, Illinois |
Dr. Koos removed a tooth that had broken off. He was very attentive as long as the staff. They took good care of me throughout the whole process. He called me later in the evening to be sure I was okay. I use to go to another dental facility and it can't compare to the level of service I receive with Dr. Koos. I would definitely refer Dr. Koos and the Ora Dental Studio to family and friends. They will get the job done right the first time!
Chicago, IL |
Dr. Koos removed my four wisdom teeth, and I couldn't have imagined a smoother process and recovery. He has a great bedside manner, and made himself more than available for questions in the days following the procedure. I would recommend him to anyone who needs oral and maxillofacial surgery.
in Decatur indiana |
Dr. Steven Koos is by far the best Dr. I have ever encountered. He has excellent bed side manners, he's funny, any he takes the time needed to explain the procedure he is going to perform. I give him an A++ and recommend him for any one. I personally drive 3 1/2 hours for my kids to have wisdom teeth removed. :)
Chicago, IL |
Caring, attentive, and overall amazing doctor. Would refer him to family and friends and would see him again in a heartbeat!
Chicago, IL |
Excellent care. Very kind and attentive Doctor.
in Michigan City, IN |
Dr. Koos was amazing. I had 4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday and still have almost no pain- although everyone is different. As someone who is anxious about needles and medical procedures, Dr. Koos and his staff made the experience as relaxing as possible. It's rare to find a doctor this good with such excellent bedside manners.
Chicago, IL |
My 13 year old son had to have oral surgery to expose an impacted tooth. I thought it was great the way the entire procedure was explained to my son. It made him less nervous to know and understand each step in the process of the surgery he was going to have. Everyone in the office is very friendly, professional and helpful. On the day of surgery, everything went smoothly and as planned and my son was feeling great. Dr. Koos called later that evening to check on his patient.
Chicago, IL |
My experience was excellent. I was prepared and reminded of my appointment before the surgery. The surgery itself was well managed - the staff was very attentive and the surgery was efficient. I was also appropriately informed of aftercare which I followed.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. koos had an awesome, calming spirit. I felt so at ease with him. He explained my procedure(pre and post) thoroughly (4 in 1 wisdom teeth extraction). The atmosphere of the dental office is very relaxing, with high tech machinery and, smells wonderful. The day of the procedure I felt like I was in good hands and I was. He was calming, professional, quick, and thorough. He supplied everything to make post-op a success and it was. he even calls you that night. I highly recommend him to anyone.
in Evergreen Park, IL |
Dr. Koos and his team were wonderful! Beautiful office setting and friendly and knowledgeable staff. They all made me feel extremely comfortable. Had all 4 wisdom teeth removed and I can say that it was the best surgical experience I've ever had!
Chicago, IL |
Had a wisdom tooth, which ended up being infected, removed. Despite the infection, the surgery went smoothly and was pretty quick. I appreciate the fact the Dr. Koos followed up personally over the phone later that day to make sure that I was taking proper care of the tooth. He also promptly answered questions and concerns that I texted him following his call.
in Chicago, IL |
I had to get my wisdom teeth removed, from start to finish everyone was very kind and attentive. They really cared about their patients. Thanks guy!!
in Norridge, IL |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Koos, and in fact already have! At least twice! I've had two pretty gruesome experiences with oral surgery already, and was pleasantly surprised at how well my recovery went after getting my wisdom teeth removed by Dr. Koos. He explained the procedure very carefully during the consultation. The evening after the surgery, he called to make sure everything was going alright and if I had any questions. You can tell he really cares about all of his patients! 10/10!
in East Chicago, IN |
First time their made me and my son feel comfortable about having his wisdom teeth pulled.very nice and dr. Gave alot of information.so far excellent will be going back in a couple of we eks.for surgery.will definetly review again.
Chicago, IL |
The office is beautiful, state of the art, and extremely clean. The many receptionists are always so friendly and eager to help in whatever way they can. Dr. Koos takes the time to sit down with you and really makes sure you understand exactly what will happen during your procedure. He also makes a personal call the evening of your procedure to make sure you don't have any issue, and extends the offer to call him personally with any questions or concerns in the future. A Wonderful experience!
in Chicago, IL |
Stephen and his staff are simply amazing. Getting wisdom teeth pulled is as high on my list of getting a colonoscopy so not high but when I arrived his team was very nice, energetic, talked me through everything and I was shocked by how many people were in the room but all I remember is them asking me my music choice then waking up to more music which seemed like minutes later. My pain levels weren't high I feel a little discomfort but nothing as bad as I thought
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. Koos extracted my tooth and before I was ready for the implant I moved to Philadelphia. I traveled back to Chicago for the sole reason to have Dr. Koos continue to be my surgeon. He takes the time the patient requires and it shows that he really cares about the person. I appreciated it so much I traveled across the country to be his patient! His staff is also awesome. They are always so kind, patient, and understanding! Thanks Lily, Tia, and Ali for being so awesome!!!!
in Chicago, IL |
Had a tooth extraction. Very thorough - - great experience even though it isn't something you'd want to do. He called me at home that night to see how I was doing and gave me his cell number. The facility and staff was first rate.
in Chicago, IL |
Highly recommend Dr. Koos and ORA dental. I had one of my front tooth removed and put an implant in there. Good experience with Dr. Koos and his team. No pain.
in Oak Park, IL |
I recommend Ora Studios and Dr. Koos and staff in oral surgery enthusiastically. From explaining oral healthcare issues and options through insurance coverage and charges, the Ora Studio professionals have been consistently attentive, thorough and excellent in their patient care. I have been very pleased with my dental care as well as that of family members since visiting Ora; our experiences there have been very pleasant and reassuring, even under potentially stressful circumstances!
Chicago, IL |
Dr. Koos explained everything to us during the consultation regarding wisdom teeth removal. My teenage daughter was still expecting the worst after listening to her friends, who had theirs removed by other dentists. We both were really pleased with the entire experience she had with Dr. Koos and his entire staff. Very caring, knowledgeable and respectful group. I will not hesitate to recommend others in the future. Thank you!
in Calumet City, IL |
Best experience I have had at a dental office, bar none. Had wisdom teeth removed today and I am feeling alright. Dr. Koos followed up with a phone call in evening to make sure I wasn't having any issues. Wow!
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Koos is amazing! I typically don't write reviews but this doctor goes above and beyond for his patience. I had an implant done and was very nervous about the whole process. He answered all my questions. I felt very informed. He has an unbelievably good bedside manner and way with people. After my implant he called to check in on me and gave me his cell # in case of anything. This doctor is outstanding.
La Grange, IL |
Dr. Koos extracted my son and daughters wisdom teeth yesterday. Dr Koos and his staff were wonderful, and very professional from the time we walked in the office until we left. Dr. Koos and his nurse were attentive to both kids. They ask the kids what kind of music they like to hear before their extractions. Dr Koos called that evening to follow up and I had a question the following day and he return my message ASAP. I would definately recommend Dr. Koos is wonderful and a compassionate O.S.
in Chicago, IL |
I saw Dr. Koos for my wisdom teeth extraction. The entire time Dr. Koos and his staff made me feel comfortable and informed. Him and his staff make sure you know what's going on the entire time and they are all so nice. He even gave me a call several hours after the procedure to make sure everything was going correctly. I would highly recommend Dr. Koos! He is great.
in Lake Villa, IL |
Wow I never thought I would say a tooth extraction was a great experience. I put off having this procedure done for over 2 years. In that time I had several complications with the tooth. Needless to say I was a hot mess agonizing over this. Dr Koos and his staff did a magnificent job with my extraction. My recovery was amazing. 3rd day after and no Ibuprofen, no pain, no swelling. A huge Thank You to Dr. Koos, Jasmine, Eddie, Nancy and 3 others whose names I cannot remember.
in Chicago, IL |
After my wisdom teeth extraction, Dr. Koos is the only surgeon I would suggest. I have never had good experiences with dental work, and I must say from the consultation through to the surgery he made me feel nothing short of relaxed and confident. I was very nervous before the procedure, and he took the time to explain everything thoroughly until I was comfortable. He really does care. He's really gentle too. I had minimal to no swelling and was off of pain medicine 2 days after the procedure!
in Channahon, IL |
I had a excellent experience with my wisdom teeth removal. The surgery went nice and smooth. The staff was very nice and informative. I couldn't have asked for a better Doctor. Dr. Koos does an phenomenal job, I will recommend him and his office to everyone. He cares about his patients; he called me that night and made sure I was doing good and if I had any questions. I don't know of any other doctor that does that. He is very knowledgeable and makes sure you know everything that will be going o
Have you seen Dr. Steven Koos, MD?

Visit Dr. Koos