Dr. Steven G. Helm, MD

Dr. Steven G. Helm, MD

Allergy & Asthma | Male

Allergy & Asthma Center 535 Jack Warner Pkwy NE Ste C, Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Because of my own experiences with allergies, asthma, and eczema, I do not consider these to be trivial problems and can appreciate the toll that even minimal symptoms can have over a long period of time. I am especially concerned that patients will adapt to their condition and begin to think that frankly abnormal problems are "normal for them" and tolerate changes which can become permanent. From personal experience I know questions to ask which are not found in textbooks I want to deliver cutting-edge care to my patients, but not burden them with unnecessary or overly expensive approaches. There is no point to having a prescription if the medicine is unaffordable. As medicine and insurance changes, it is necessary to try to keep healthcare as reasonable and affordable as possible. I try to give each patient the time and attention they deserve and never want to rush a visit. My patients deserve my full attention and consideration for all of their problemsRead more

Personal Bio

Dr. Helm's Experience

93Experience
Match

See how Dr. Helm's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Helm

Dr. Helm accepts 28 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Helm has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Helm's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Helm to family and friends
based on 4 total surveys (1 with a review)
Experience with Dr. Helm
Dr. Helm's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (4)
in Tuscaloosa, AL |
Dr. Helm has been my allergist for the past two years. He has been incredibly helpful in diagnosing my food allergies and setting up allergy shots to combat my chronic sinus issues. He is very personable and always avaible to answer questions or refill a prescription. I would highly recommend him to anyone with any type of allergy or sinus issues.
Have you seen Dr. Steven G. Helm, MD?
Are you Dr. Helm?

Why It Matters: Dr. Helm's Board Certifications

• Allergy & Immunology
  • Pediatrics

Dr. Helm says..

With over 30 years of training and experience, I am familiar with most allergic conditions and how to treat them, Having used many of the medicines which are available gives me a special perspective regarding subtle differences in benefits and side effects which I can pass on to my patients. I also know and understand some of the signs and symptoms of these conditions which might be unappreciated by someone who had not experienced them firsthand.

I have seen individuals with very mild and very severe problems and I understand that these can change over time. None of them is trivial and all are worthy of being addressed.

At my office, I can do sophisticated tests to evaluate these conditions and try to employ the most up-to-date techniques available. That is why many physicians refer their patients for evaluation and expert treatment.

When a problem turns out to require expertise in another field, I know a number of excellent specialists to whom I am happy to refer.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Allergic Reaction
  • Anaphylaxis
  • Angioedema
  • Animal Allergies
  • Asthma
  • Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
  • Bronchitis
  • Chronic Sinusitis
  • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • Food Allergy
  • Pollen Allergy
  • Recurrent Infections
  • Skin Infections

Dr. Helm says..

I have had years of experience in performing all kinds of skin testing for allergies, blood testing, when appropriate, and patch testing for allergic conditions such as contact dermatitis.

I have also been active in drug testing and testing for foods. This includes actual challenges to verify allergies.

I have tested for allergies to insects for decades and understand how to best treat them

My office routinely does breathing tests such as pulmonary function testing for asthma and is one of the few facilities which can do methacholine tests to diagnose asthma and asthma variants.

I also do treadmill testing to identify exercise-induced bronchospasm for those having breathing problems with athletics or other forms of exercise.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Allergy Shots
  • Lung Spirometry
  • Nebulizer Treatment
  • Patch Testing
  • Xolair® Therapy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

University Of Texas Southwestern Medical Center At Dallas

Med College Of Georgia

Completed in 1982

University Of Texas / Austin Campus

Graduated in 1973

Dr. Helm has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Helm does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Helm and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Helm's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Allergy & Asthma
  • Board certified in Allergy & Immunology and Pediatrics
  • Malpractice claims in Alabama not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Helm

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Helm's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)

Experience with Dr. Helm

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Helm says...

I was born and raised in Texas and graduated from the University of Texas with a degree in Chemical Engineering. Then I attended the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas and followed that with three years of residency training at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City.

I had asthma and allergies from infancy and found myself drawn to patients who had similar problems. New advances in diagnosis and treatment had begun to revolutionize what could be done for these problems and I enjoyed taking care of those who had such conditions, so I decided to specialize in this field.

I was fortunate enough to be able to undertake two years of specialized training in adult and pediatric Allergy and Immunology at the Medical College of Georgia which is one of the premier training programs in the country. This qualified me for getting my boards in Allergy and Immunology.

I am from Texas, but  am proud to have lived in Tuscaloosa for over two decades and have raised both of my girls here.

Dr. Helm's Care Philosophy

I try to give each patient the time and attention they deserve and never want to rush a visit. My patients deserve my full attention and consideration for all of their problems