Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Steven Bloom, MD
Dr. Steven Bloom completed his undergraduate and medical education as part of a combined 6-year BA-MD program at Lehigh University (summa cum laude) and the Medical College of Pennsylvania (cum laude). He did his residency in ophthalmology at the Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston, and returned to Philadelphia for his fellowship in medical and surgical vitreoretinal diseases at the Scheie Eye Institute and the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Bloom is an Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at the University of Louisville. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Bloom has been practicing in the Kentuckiana area since 1989, and joined Bennett & Bloom Eye Centers in 1995. His practice is devoted solely to diseases and surgery of the retina and vitreous. He has built his reputation through a knowledgeable, personalized and caring approach to patient management. He has published extensively in his field, including the textbook, "Laser Surgery of the Posterior Segment," now in its second edition, and serves as a scientific reviewer for several ophthalmic and retinal journals. Dr. Bloom's academic honors include memberships in the Phi Eta Sigma, Phi Beta Kappa, and Alpha Omega Alpha honor societies. He is a member of the American Society of Retinal Specialists and was the first Kentucky ophthalmologist to be inducted into the Macula Society. Dr. Bloom has been honored by his peers on numerous occasions by selecting him for inclusion in The Best Doctors in America. He is consistently included in the Guide to America's Top Ophthalmologists and has been included in Who's Who in America.

1935 Bluegrass Ave Ste 200

Louisville, KY 40215

• HealthLink
  • Sagamore Health Network

Learn about Dr. Bloom

See how frequently Dr. Bloom performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Vitreoretinal Surgery
Retina Diseases
Eye Surgery

Dr. Bloom's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Bloom "I treat every patient like a family member. I try to address every patient's unique needs. Although my primary job is to take care of their retinal disorders, I always try to improve my patients' overall sense of well being by helping them live better with whatever problems they have."

• Ophthalmology

• Benign Neoplasm of Eye
  • Blindness
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Chronic Endophthalmitis
  • Contusion of the Eyeball
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Hemorrhage
  • Retinal Ischemia
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Retinoschisis

• Macular Degeneration Treatment
  • Macular Hole Surgery
  • Macular Pucker Surgery
  • Panretinal Photocoagulation
  • Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Retina and Vitreous Surgery
  • Scleral Buckling
  • Vitrectomy
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery
  • Wet Macular Degeneration Injections

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

• Lehigh University
  • Tufts University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1988
  • Scheie Eye Institute, University Of Pennsylvania
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989

Dr. Bloom has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Bloom does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bloom and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Bloom's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bloom to family and friends
Dr. Bloom Says:

Thank you for completing the survey!  We value your opinion and consider your feedback seriously. Please feel free to call us with questions or concerns at 502-895-0040.

Dr. Bloom's Performance
in Fisherville |
At age 39, I sought an Ophthalmologist regarding a "black dot" impairing my vision. After several futile consultations, Dr. Bloom diagnosed me with a very rare hereditary degenerative disease which can affect vision. Moreover, he was able to offer treatment options, equating to HOPE when desperately needed. Since then, he has consistently provided superior care, both medically and personally supportive, by proving to be an integral member of my team, fighting this disease and its affects..
in Ft Mitchell, KY |
Dr. Bloom has been my ophthalmologist for close to 15 years. I suffer from ocular histoplasmosis. Dr. Bloom has performed multiple laser surgeries on both of eyes, one of which was extremely close the the retina. When my husband was stationed overseas a few years ago, my histoplasmosis flared up. Without hesitation, I booked the 8+ hour flight to Louisville from Germany just to see Dr. Bloom. In over a decade, I have never felt I was in anything other than extremely competent and capable hands.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. Bloom cared for me after cataract surgery with multifocal lenses. His care was exceptional. After the cataract surgery, I had to undergo vitreoretinal surgery to repair a macular hole. Dr. Bloom was knowledgeable and quick to act. I would recommend his care to anyone who could benefit from his personal approach to each patient and their concerns and conditions. I was highly satisfied with his work.
in Bardstown, KY |
I have been seeing Dr. Bloom for 5 years and have only good things to say about him and his staff. My first interaction was an emergency and he spent his weekend performing surgery on my eye. He personally called me to follow up. He has always been quick to respond to my needs and explained everything in detail. I consider Dr. Bloom to be one of the most dedicated doctors I have ever met. He has very high standards and expects the same of his team.
in Mitchell IN |
I have been a patient of Dr.Bloom for 7 years. He is treating me for wet Adult Onset Macular Degeneration and he has been able to stop it in one eye and is preventing it in the other. Our granddaughters accompanied us one visit and he took time to explain everything and even allowed them to view the injection procedure. Dr. Bloom and his staff are the friendliest we have ever met. Their professionalism is top notch.
in Louisville, KY |
I have the highest regards for Dr. Bloom. I have been his patient for some time and I feel that I have received the best of care. I feel that my eye problems would have been much worse had it not been for the extra care provided by him. If you are seeking the best eye care I would strongly recommend Dr. Bloom.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. Bloom has been treating my eyes for about 9 years now. I had a detached retina and he reattached it using advanced procedures. Today I see better than when I was much younger. He has ALWAYS taken my eye care very seriously and I highly recommend him for your eye care needs. His warm personality and attention to detail is exceptional.
in Glascow, KY |
What a great doctor! He is knowledgeable, professional, friendly and all over a great physician. He is on the cutting edge of his field. On top of what is new and best for your problem. We are so impressed with his office and his ability. We had 100% success rate and his followup is superb. We would recommend him to anyone and will see only him.
in Louisville, KY |
I have retinopathy and I am seen by Dr. Bloom I think that he is one of the best doctors in Louisville Ky . He has treated me for years and remains to keep my condition stable . He my angel. Dr Bloom and his staff is wonderful they actually care about your health it's not just about the money they're very professional . I highly recommend anyone to use Bennett and balloons
in Glasgow, KY |
I would trust my life with Dr. Bloom. I have been seeing him for 3 years for wet macular degeneration. Dr. Bloom has treated me so efficiently. Starting at about 20/200, his treatments have increased my vision to 20/30 to 20/40. He is knowledgeable, gentle with the injection. He has a wonderful compassion for his patients and will take time to answer your questions . He never rushes you. He makes you feel you are his only patient. His staff are more like friends! I recommend Dr. Bloom totally.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. Bloom saved my eye sight. He made sure I was conformable with what was happening and going to happen. Explain what was going on. I would have and have recommend him to others.
in Louisville |
I would and do recommend him to everyone! He was extremely professional, courteous and explained everything that would happen during my surgery in great detail. He also told me what to expect in the weeks of recovery and he was SPOT ON with everything. I cannot say enough good things about him
in Taylorsville, KY |
I will be forever indebted to Dr . Bloom and his staff for the great care they have given me for years for retinopathy due to diabetes. Dr. Bloom is not only a great doctor but is a wonderful person as well. I would heartily recommend Dr. Bloom as I feel I have had the best possible care.
Scottsburg, IN |
For anyone having eye issues, I recommend Dr. Steven Bloom. I have been a patient of Dr. Bloom's for over three years. I feel very confident in his knowledge and skills in ophthalmology. He has been able to help me see more clearly with my intermittent vision problem. Also, I was very thankful that he was available the day my son needed surgery for a detached retina, which resulted in his getting his vision back. I appreciate Dr. Bloom's sense of humor as well.
in Tompkinsville, KY |
I was referred to Dr. Bloom several years ago for a spot behind my retina. He and his staff were very compassionate and eased my anxiety tremendously. My husband is a diabetic and currently sees Dr. Bloom for a shot in his eye. Dr. Bloom is very competent, compassionate and has a great personality!! His staff is the best. Would recommend him to anyone. We have several friends that Dr. Bloom treats and they say he the greatest!!
in Ayden, NC |
I have been seeing Dr Bloom for 20 years because of eye issues caused by 50 plus years of diabetes. Not only is he a great doctor, he is a great person. I just traveled from North Carolina to see Dr. Bloom, that's the confidence I have in him!
in Glasgow, KY |
I could not be more pleased with Dr. Bloom and his fabulous staff. They come to my hometown clinic every week, which is very convenient. He immediately saw the issue with my retina and quickly developed a plan of action fo ensure I would not become blind. I never have to wait long. Dr. Bloom always listens to my questions and concerns and addresses them quickly, seeing me sooner if needed. Im so blessed to have the opprotunity to receive the shots that keep my eyes healthy! Thank you!!! Emily
in Louisville, KY |
For the past 10 years, I have been a patient of Dr. Bloom-I have complete confidence in his medical knowledge and expertise as an ophthalmologist. In the past Dr. Bloom re-attached my retina and is now treating me for macular degeneration. Dr. Bloom is the reason why I am seeing today despite a genetic condition I inherited which caused blindness for my mother. In addition, Dr. Bloom's excellent staff are a reflection of his care and concern- almost like he was a member of my family.
in Louisville, KY |
I used to work with visually impaired clients. I grew a deep respect for and trust in, the physicians at Bennett and Bloom based upon client's reports, results, and experience with this group. When I experienced a branch retinal occlusion with macular edema, I immediately knew who to go see. Dr. Bloom is a tremendous specialist and has helped me to keep the best vision possible with this condition. He is kind, knowledgeable, and has a great music playlist in his office! Entire staff is wonderful
in Louisville, KY |
Wonderful service , very knowledgeable, lasix surgery was 100% success with zero compilations.
in Glasgow, KY |
When I first met with Dr. Bloom my left eye was very bad with macular degeneration. Now after 18 months of treatment my eye has improved and I have normal vision with my left eye. On top of his excellent service and caring of his patients, his staff is also top notch. They take a personal interest in you and feel like a family member is taking care of you.
Dr. Bloom is a very honest doctor that puts his patients first and feel I was very blessed to have him as a doctor.
in Glasgow, KY |
I have been a patient of Dr. Bloom for over 2 years. He is a great doctor. He is a very smart man with a wonderful bedside manner. I believe I would have lost my sight if not for him.
in Shepherdsville, KY |
Thanks Dr. Bloom. After being diagnosed with a detached retina Dr. Bloom drove from out of state to perform surgery on my left eye. After 10 weeks vision is greatly improved (20/30). Dr. Bloom was awesome, he answered all my questions and was always patient. Everyone at Bennett and Bloom was great.
in Louisville, KY |
I highly recommend Dr. Bloom and the entire staff at Bennett and Bloom eye centers. I disagree with his one detractor on this site but you can't please everyone. It's hard not to approve of someone who saved your eyesight. He has saved many people's eyesight and when you look around his waiting room you realize that he gets the difficult cases. I find him to be personable, compassionate and amazingly competent. I took my sister to him a couple of months ago because I trust him with my loved ones
in Louisville, KY |
I took my mother to Dr Bloom 2 years ago for a second opinion for her ARM, her specialist in Mi. told her there was nothing he could do to help her. He stated it was too late to give her a shot in her eye. Dr Bloom has taken greatest care, with injections and laser by Dr Milen, she now can read the newspaper with reading glasses!!! A miracle!!! Very kind and caring.
in Albany, Ky. |
I have macular degeneration, and Dr. Bloom has been wonderful. He has helped me to maintain my eyesight now for several years. I would recommend him to anyone.
in Hardinsburg, KY |
I have been a patient of Dr. Bloom for over 19 years and have been completely satisfied with him and his work. He a truly caring Dr. and I have seen first hand how he cares about his patients. From calls to check on them after procedures to making sure that they have what they need to heal. He is compassionate and is always interested in them. He is one of the best and I highly recommend him to all my family and friends.
Louisville, KY |
I had to travel to another state to see a competent eye surgeon where I regained my sight. Dr. Bloom was in way over his head, and seems to have known nothing about retinal detachment when he proceeded with 2 invasive and apparently unnecessary surgeries.
Sir, I am truly sorry that you suffered both mentally and physically and understand your frustration and anger. Initial success repairing detachments is about 80-90 percent. My surgical results are as good or better than any of my colleagues nationally. I have literally thousands of patients that I've cured, along with some who still lose vision despite my best efforts. Unfortunately, due to HIPPA concerns, I am not allowed to respond to patient details publically over the internet.
in GOSHEN, KY |
So very thankful! Dr. Bloom and his OR team at Norton's Pavilion saved my vision. Not only is my retina reattached, but the IOI is in place and functional. Very grateful to all of the team. Also enjoyed the jazz music during surgery.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr Bloom is the best in his field. Other than his great expertise Dr Bloom is compassionate, never shows impatience and disregard for any questions. He understands the patient angst. His staff is respectful and I particularly love Monica who goes above and beyond to make the patients feel comfortable. Gladys Conn
in Louisville, ky |
Dr. Bloom is very thorough and very engaging. I see him every 5-6 weeks and feel extremely comfortable with his knowledge and his experience. At one visit My chart was misplaced and my wait was an hour before anyone realized it. Dr. Bloom was very upset and promised that would never happen again. It hasn't. I think he wants the best experience possible for his patients. I highly recommend him.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr. Bloom is a wonderful doctor and an amazing person. He truly cares about his patient's. His staff is exceptional.
Prospect, KY |
The wait time is 2-3 hours and once you finally get to see the Dr., he becomes inpatient if you start asking questions. Also lacks interest in the value of the patients time spent in a crowded, often freezing waiting rooms.
I'm so sorry for your wait, and we've taken your feedback to heart. I recently changed my template so I start earlier and end later, spreading the same number of patients out throughout the day. However, there are often emergencies that sometimes do make for unavoidable delays. I do listen to every patient, answer all their questions, and address their individual concerns. The very last thing I say to EVERY patient is "Do you have any more questions." I'm so sorry you left feeling otherwise.
in Louisville, KY |
I just visited Dr Bloom today. I can not begin to tell you how wonderful he and his staff are. From the time I make my appointment, to when I exit, everyone that I come in contact with are caring, friendly, and professional . You can not find another health care provider that enjoys his practice and his patients more that Dr Bloom and his staff. Thank you so very much for taking great care of me, my entire self, not just my eyes.
in Kentucky |
I am so thankful every day for Dr. Bloom and his team. From the initial greeting at the reception desk to the final post op exam, they were exceptionally compassionate, friendly, and professional. He and his team have always taken the extra time and effort to be sure I had the best possible care even after hours and on weekends. They are an extremely dedicated and talented team with the rare expertise to save your eyesight. It is an invaluable gift. I wake up grateful to them every day!
in Louisville, KY |
My daughter, a Type I diabetic has Dr. Bloom to thank for her eyesight. I am now treated by Dr. Bloom for Macular Degeneration. He is kind, compassionate and very, very good! If you are looking for an excellent opthamologist, look no further! Other than being a fine Dr. he appears to understand that fear is prevalent when dealing with people who have MD, he is quick to allay those fears. I have recommended Dr. Bloom to many of my friends. No complaints!
in Louisville, KY |
I see Dr. Bloom for diabetic eye care. I have always found him to be very professional, friendly, and more than willing to take the time to answer questions. I highly recommend him if you are looking for high quality eye care.
in Louisville, KY |
Dr Bloom saved my eyesight in my right eye. I had a detached retina in December 2015 that Dr Bloom surgically repaired. He took the time with me to let me know exactly what he was going to do and the surgery was over in no time. I am still healing but have my full peripheral vision back. I highly recommend Dr. Bloom for anyone with retina issues.
Have you seen Dr. Steven Bloom, MD?

Visit Dr. Bloom