Dr. Steven Bernick, MD

Dr. Steven Bernick, MD

Gastroenterology  |
Male
Dr. Steven Bernick, MD is a gastroenterology doctor who practices in Tacoma, WA. He has been practicing for 13 years. Read his story

9040 Jackson Avenue

Tacoma, WA 98431

Learn about Dr. Bernick

See how frequently Dr. Bernick performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Esophageal Diseases

Dr. Bernick's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Bernick's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Bernick "Dr. Bernick is a dedicated, conscientious physician with a stellar academic background and broad range of clinical experience in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, and Medical Acupuncture. This includes over 20 years active duty military service, with his last assignment as Head, Division of Gastroenterology, Naval Hospital Bremerton. He continues to serve as a Staff Gastroenterologist, Madigan Army Medical Center. Author, professor, and invited lecturer, his varied experience involve healthcare delivery around the world. Dr. Bernick's patients are among the most satisfied in military healthcare, and he was cited as "Top Twenty – Best of the Best" for patient satisfaction in all of Navy medicine in both 2015 and 2016."

• Gastroenterology

• Esophageal Varices
  • Esophagitis
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding
  • Unexplained Weight Loss
  • Vomiting Disorders

• Acupuncture
  • Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Gastroenterology Procedures

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• Disciplinary action in another state (4/7/2016)
    Action Taken: Probation
    State: California
  • Other (2/6/2015)
    Action Taken: Summary Suspension
    State: Washington
  • Unprofessional Conduct (5/18/2017)
    Action Taken: Termination of an Agreed Order without restrictions, terms, and/or conditions
    State: Washington
  • Unprofessional Conduct (5/14/2015)
    Action Taken: Agreed Order with Terms and Conditions

Residency Hospital | Completed 2007
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2011
  • Contemporary Medical Acupuncture Training Program
    Other Education | Completed 2010

Dr. Bernick has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Bernick has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Bernick does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bernick and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Bernick's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bernick to family and friends
Dr. Bernick's Performance
in Silverdale, WA |
Dr. Bernick was my GI MD for 3years. He was very professional in all appointments. What I respected most was his willingness to listen to my input regarding diet changes I had made that were helping me be asymptomatic w/ my Chrons. He also took care of his health with diet and exercise, which I respected and absolutely look for in a physician. If I had a flare-up, he was immediately available via email/phone for new Rx/refills, if warranted, while I scheduled an appointment. Excellent physician.
in Clayton, NC |
Dr. Bernick was wonderful! Super friendly and professional. He really took his time to explain things to me and genuinely cared for my health.
in Tacoma, WA |
Dr. Bernick was great. Even though his schedule was completely full, he gave up his lunch hour to see me in clinic when I had an acute problem. He is very knowledgeable and kind.
Bremerton, WA |
Dr. Bernick provided excellent care for both my wife and myself, who both underwent procedures and outpatient clinical visits under his care. He provided excellent information and was clearly up to date on the latest gastroenterology literature. He has my wholehearted recommendation and gratitude for his help.
Los Angeles, CA |
Excellent bedside manner and extremely thorough.
in Silverdale, WA |
Dr Bernick seems very knowledgeable about my disease, and that gives me great confidence in the treatments, and course of action that he recommends.
in Poulsbo WA |
I was very thankful to be under the care of Dr.Bernick when I was going through medical changes that were not just physically but emotionally draining me. He gave me the support I needed medically and guided me as a professional through my ptsd from previous doctors.
in Bremerton, wa. |
Dr. Bernick was my Dr. for approx. 5 years. He diagnosed me as having ulcerative colitis and treated me until his retirement from the United States Navy. He was very thorough in his examination that lead to the diagnosis of my disease. He followed my progress on medications he prescribed and changed them if results were not satisfactory. He ensured that I Had a smooth transition to the Dr. assuming his position upon his retirement. I will miss him a darn good Dr.
in Poulsbo, Washington |
Dr. Bernick is a highly skilled and efficient practitioner with an excellent bedside manner. As an anesthesia provider I have worked with him on high risk patients and can say patient safety is paramount in his practice. As a patient and family member of a patient, I specifically requested him to perform procedures on both myself and family member based on my assessment of his skill and safety. He additionally provided excellent follow-up care and education.
in Bremerton, WA |
Dr. Steven Bernick, MD, was my gastroenterologist for the past five years; I suffer from ulcerative colitis. Throughout his care was outstanding and he was able to medically drive my disease to remission. He constantly searches for new drugs and treatment regimes that will improve quality of life. He listens well, respects patient inputs and rights. I have been extremely pleased with the care he has provided and would recommend him in strongest terms to patients with US or other gastro problems.
in Bremerton, WA |
Dr. Steven Bernick is a very caring a competent physician. He expertly treated me during my unexpected illness. He not only took the time to listen to me, as I explained the symptoms I was experiencing, but educated me on the results of my lab work and other extensive studies. He also ensured that I was on the road to recovery after my hospitalization. I cannot say enough about his professionalism and skill as a physician. Without reservation I would recommend Dr. Bernick be your physician!
in Gig Harbor, WA |
As an Anesthesiologist providing services for endoscopy patients in Dr. Bernick's practice and as a patient previously in his care, I have found him to be exceptionally skillful, professional, and pleasant to work with. After 3 years of observing his patient care, I made a point to ensure he was the endoscopist for my initial screening colonoscopy because of the respect and confidence I have in him. Dr. Bernick is the finest Gastroenterologist I have worked with in my 15 years as a physician.
in Moncks Corner, SC |
Dr. Steven Bernick has an extensive medical knowledge that places him among the best gastrointestinal doctors in the country; and his diligence in both patient understanding and follow up care far exceeds that of many of his peers. Dr. Bernick is through and takes extra care to ensure that his patients not only understand their condition but also every step in their treatment process. Dr. Bernick is professional and friendly. He gives his patients hope, and greets them with an infectious smile.
Bremerton, WA |
Dr Bernick identified a long standing, previously undiagnosed condition. By doing so, we were able to address the condition, substantively improving my quality of life.
Dr. Bernick took care of me as a patient for several years. He shows compassion for his patients. Dr. Bernick spends adequate time in appointments, makes sure that you understand treatment plans and options, and gives you the tools and information to help assist you make the best decision for you. Dr. Bernick responds to emails promptly, acknowledges concerns and reacts quickly. Dr. Bernick is very knowledgeable and I would recommend him for everyone!
Have you seen Dr. Steven Bernick, MD?
Are you Dr. Bernick?