Dr. Steven C. Anagnost, MD

Dr. Steven C. Anagnost, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male | 49 years old

356 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results

The vast majority of patients can be treated successfully without surgery. Conservative treatments often include physical therapy, medication, traction, injections, and chiropractic care. When these measure fail, surgery is sometimes the final step. Patients are understandably scared of the prospect of surgery. Many are worried about painful and prolonged recovery, as well as permanent scarring. It is because of these valid concerns of patients, that many surgeons have intensely investigated less invasive ways of treating back pain surgically. This was the advent of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. The basic concept is simple. Surgeons wish to treat the conditions of the spine, like disc herniations and bone spurs, with as small an incision and as little tissue and muscle damage as possible. God gave us the muscle and the bone for a reason, because we need it. There is nothing manmade that we can put in the spine, that functions as well as what God originally designed for us.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Anagnost's Experience

See how Dr. Anagnost's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Anagnost

Dr. Anagnost accepts 9 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Anagnost has admitting privileges.

Dr. Anagnost's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Anagnost to family and friends
Dr. Anagnost's Performance
    GOOD
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost is a fantastic doctor. I cant say enough good things about him. He fixed my back pain with a tiny incision. I have my life back again.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr A did band aid back surgery on me. I was in horrible pain before surgery with bone spurs crushing my nerves. When I woke up from surgery, I could feel relief right away. I don't have to take pain medicine anymore. Dr A really did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
My minimal invasive back surgery with Dr Anagnost is doing great i can stand up straight now, and my pain is much better. Dr A did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost took care of my husband 11 years ago. Dr Anagnost really helped him. When my back and neck started to hurt, there is only one doctor I will see and that is Dr Anagnost.
in Tulsa, OK |
My back pain has gotten worse and worse to the point where it is just awful. Dr Anagnost found my fracture right away and made a plan to help me. I am so glad he is my doctor.
in Tulsa, OK |
My back pain and leg pain were so severe I was losing function into my leg. Dr Anagnost showed me the MRI showing the severe pressure on my spine and nerves. He made a plan to help me right away. I am glad he is my doctor.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had terrible neck pain for years. My mom sees Dr Anagnost and when my arms got weak she insisted I go see him. I am very glad I did. I had 2 large disc herniations that were crushing my spinal cord. Dr Anagnost fixed it right away.
in Tulsa, OK |
I broke my back after a horse threw me into a tree Dr Anagnost was able to fix me without surgery. I am doing much better now.
in Tulsa, OK |
I broke my neck after a large air compressor fell on me. I was in pain and terrified. My doctor sent me to Dr Anagnost and he explained everything. He did surgery to fix it and I am doing great. I recommend Dr Anagnost to everyone I meet with spine problems.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had bone spurs in my neck that were paralyzing my nerves My pain was terrible Dr Anagnost fixed my neck and I am doing great. He has always been honest with me and explained everything to me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had terrible neck pain and arm weakness in my arms. I could not take it anymore. My primary doctor sent me to Dr Anagnost. He fixed my neck with a tiny surgery. I was better as soon as I woke up. He did an amazing job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have been seeing Dr A for years and he has helped me to avoid surgery.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr A has been doing shots for my back pain and fracture which has been helping a lot. I am very glad I could avoid surgery.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had severe neck and arm pain. Dr Anagnost found the large bone spurs that were crushing my spinal cord. He is a good doctor who cares.
in Tulsa, OK |
He is very competent and explains things easily.
in Tulsa, OK |
I am 84 years old and I certainly did not want surgery but I needed help with my back and leg pain. Dr Anagnost told me I had spinal stenosis, and he is helping me with injections instrad of surgery and I am grateful.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost has taken great care of me for over 10 years now. I trust him.
in Tulsa, OK |
Very knowledgeable and professional.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did band aid surgery on me. My back pain is much better. He did a great job. I am glad I had surgery with Dr Anagnost.
in Tulsa, OK |
I feel much better after my band aid back surgery with Dr Anagnost. I am back to wor.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did the band aid surgery on my back. It really helped. I felt better immediately.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had back surgery by another doctor who put screws into my back. I was in terrible pain. Dr Anagnost found the problem and showed me the problem, and removed the screws that were hurting me so badly. I am much better now. Thank You Dr Anagnost.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had previous back surgeries with another surgeon and I was really hurting. Dr Anagnost found my problem and fixed it quickly. I was able to go home the same day as my surgery and I felt better immediately. I trust Dr Anagnost, he did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost fixed my neck pain and arm pain. Before surgery my pain was absolutely terrible. Now I am early pain free. I feel great thanks to Dr Anagnost and his staff.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had a back dusion operation with Dr Anagnost. He did a great job. I am doing much better.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost has done a great job on my neck and my low back. I am back to driving my school bus.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had previous surgery with another doctor. I was in terrible pain after that surgery. Dr Anagnost found the problem right away and fixed it. I trust him.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost is awesome. I was seeing other surgeons for years and they would not help me. Dr Anagnost found the problem right away and fixed me. He did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had a large back surgery by another doctor, and I was in terrible pain. Dr Anagnost found the problem right away and fixed it with an injection. He took my pain away. I appreciate all he has done for me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have seen Dr Anagnost for years for my back pain. I trust him. He has helped me to avoid surgery with non operative back treatments.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have seen Dr Anagnost for over ten years now. He has always been honest with me. He has done a great job with my neck and back pain.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had band aid back surgery with Dr A. It really helped. I trust Dr A and I recommend him highly.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had the minimally invasive back surgery with Dr Anagnost. My leg pain got better right away. I was suffering for years before my surgery I am very glad Dr Anagnost helped me.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did a great job. I had Minimally invasive back surgery. My pain went away immediately. My pain before surgery was 9/10. NOW MY PAIN IS ZERO. I really appreciate all Dr Anagnost has done for me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have been suffering with my neck pain for years. I saw many doctors who could not diagnose or help me. I met Dr Anagnost whonfound my problem right away and made a plan to help. I am glad we have Dr Anagnost.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had minimally invasive spine fusion with Dr Anagnost. All I had was a band aid after my surgery. I went home the day after surgery. I am very happy I had the surgery done.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr A helped me when no one else would. I had a large disc heriation in my back. I trust him.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had back surgery by another Dr. I was worse and hurting badly. Dr Anagnost saw me and fixed me right away. I really appreciate all Dr A has done for me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had neck fusion with Dr Anagnost, and I am doing great. He is very professional and did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had minimally invasive back fusion with Dr Anagnost. I am walking and doing great . I only had a tiny incision. Dr Anagnost did a fantastic job. I trust him and appreciate all he has done for me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had neck surgery with Dr Anagnost. He did a fantastic job. I feel incredibly better. I recommend Dr Anagnost for anyone who has neck and back pain. Dr Anagnost really helped me.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost treats my mom and I both. He has done injections on her and helped to avoid surgery which is great.
in Tulsa, OK |
My neck has been hurting for years. I could hardly feel my hands and could not even write. My doctor sent me to Dr Anagnost. He found the problem right away and made a plan to fix it. I am glad I finally got to see him. Other doctors were very rude to me but Dr A treated me kindly.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have neck and arm pain. I had been seeing a chiroprctor and it still hurt . My doctor sent me to see Dr Anagnost who found the problem and showed my xrays to me. He is very professional and kind.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost is awesome. He did surgery on my neck. He did a fantastic job. I felt better immediately. I will only see Dr Anagnost for my spine now. I really trust him.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had back surgery with Dr Anagnost. Before surgery my pain was an 8/10 constant pain. Now my pain level is 2/10 off and on only. I am much better thanks to Dr Anagnost.
in Tulsa, OK |
I broke my back in 9 different places. Dr Anagnost was able to help me without surgery which was great.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did a great job with my surgery. I trust him.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost is an honest and skilled doctor who has been a big help to me with my neck and back problems.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had a large back fusion operation by another doctor. I went to see Dr Anagnost for a second opinion. He found what was wrong and fixed it. My leg pain is gone now, and I am much better after Dr Anagnost surgery.
Have you seen Dr. Steven C. Anagnost, MD?
Are you Dr. Anagnost?

Compare Dr. Anagnost

Dr. Anagnost says...

Dr. Steven Anagnost has dedicated his career to bringing the advantages of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and procedures to Oklahoma, pioneering new laparoscopic spine surgery techniques and bringing these techniques to patients and spine surgeons throughout the world.

Dr. Anagnost came to Tulsa in 1999, to bring the benefits of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery to Oklahoma. Prior to his arrival, there was no Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery being performed in Tulsa. He has patented and pioneered multiple spine surgery techniques and developed new tools and instruments used throughout the world, to improve MIS surgery outcomes, procedures and spinal surgery recovery times.  Dr. Anagnost has been recognized as one of the leading innovators in United States for MIS techniques for spine surgery and procedures.

There has been extensive statistical analysis of Dr. Anagnost's superior quality of care for his patients. This data was compiled from thousands of patient surgeries performed by Dr. Anagnost, and is found in the now famous LaPolla Report. The report shows that Dr. Anagnost provides superior outcomes when compared to other surgeons in the field of spinal surgery, both in Oklahoma as well as national comparisons. These superior outcomes include shorter length of hospital stay, less blood loss, fewer complications, and lower cost per case.

Dr. Anagnost has taught the benefits of "band aid spinal procedures", using Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, all over the world.  He has pioneered minimally invasive back procedures and technology.  He is one of the founding members of the Society of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgeons (SMISS), which is the largest Minimally Invasive Spine Society in the World.  Dr. Anagnost also founded the Less Exposure Spine Society (LESS), which also promotes technologically advanced spinal procedures and training for surgeons and patients to understand and utilize the tremendous benefits of outpatient spinal surgery.

Many surgeons in Oklahoma do not perform Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, because the surgeon will make less money.  Dr. Anagnost does not believe that money should direct a patient's care.

Dr. Anagnost's Care Philosophy

When these measure fail, surgery is sometimes the final step. Patients are understandably scared of the prospect of surgery. Many are worried about painful and prolonged recovery, as well as permanent scarring.

Dr. Anagnost says...

As a founding member of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and the Less Exposure Surgery Society, Dr. Steven C. Anagnost is a world renowned orthopedic spine surgeon and pioneer in the minimally invasive spine (MIS) surgery community. Dr. Anagnost graduated from Emory University and performed his Spine Surgery fellowship at the prestigious Leatherman Spine Institute. Dr. Anagnost is a friendly, compassionate, and easy-to-talk-to person who is focused on helping his patients make educated decisions. Thousands of happy patients have trusted their spinal care to Dr. Anagnost.

Dr. Anagnost says...

As a researcher, Dr. Anagnost has been recognized for multiple research projects.   He has been rewarded nationally for the Top Research of the Year 2000 in his work on the effects of smoking and spinal fusion.  He has also researched and pioneered new procedures and instrumentation in the field of minimally invasive spine surgery.  Dr. Anagnost has passionately pursued his research in spinal surgery and presented his research to doctors throughout the United States and the world.

Dr. Anagnost's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Oklahoma not available
  •  Sanctions found
  •  Board actions found

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Oklahoma.

Dr. Anagnost has received 2 sanctions

• Disciplinary action in another state (8/15/2014)
    • Action Taken: License Restricted
    • Summary: Please reference the following Document
    • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    • State: Kentucky
    • Other (9/12/2013)
    • Action Taken: Consent Order
    • Summary: Dr. Steven Constantine Anagnost; License # 21194; NATURE OF COMPLAINT: Voluntary submittal to jurisdiction. ACTION TAKEN: The physician shall appear before the Oklahome Medical Board documenting successful completion of continuing medical education in the area of billing and medical recordkeeping and completion of an ACGME-affiliated spine visiting fellowship prior to resuming surgical practice in Oklahoma. The physician shall also pay a $10,000 fine plus costs before resuming surgical practice in Oklahoma.
    • State: Oklahoma
    Board Action

Dr. Anagnost has 1 board action

• Other (1/16/2014)
    • Action Taken: Release from Prior Order
    • Summary: Dr. Steven Constantine Anagnost; License # 21194; NATURE OF COMPLAINT: The physician completed all requirements ordered by the Oklahoma Medical Board 09-12-2013 Consent Order & Agreement. ACTION TAKEN: No Board limitation on the physician's surgical practice in Oklahoma.
    • State: Oklahoma

University Louisville School Med

Completed in 1998

Leatherman Spine Center

Completed in 1999

Dr. Anagnost does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Anagnost and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Adult Orthopedic Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Surgery
  • Orthopedic Neck Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Pediatric Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery

• Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (ALIF)
  • Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection
  • Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection
  • Lumbar Facet Joint Injection
  • Lumbar Transforaminal Injection
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation