Dr. Steven Anagnost, MD

Dr. Steven Anagnost, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

The vast majority of patients can be treated successfully without surgery. Conservative treatments often include physical therapy, medication, traction, injections, and chiropractic care.

When these measure fail, surgery is sometimes the final step. Patients are understandably scared of the prospect of surgery. Many are worried about painful and prolonged recovery, as well as permanent scarring.

It is because of these valid concerns of patients, that many surgeons have intensely investigated less invasive ways of treating back pain surgically. This was the advent of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. The basic concept is simple. Surgeons wish to treat the conditions of the spine, like disc herniations and bone spurs, with as small an incision and as little tissue and muscle damage as possible. God gave us the muscle and the bone for a reason, because we need it. There is nothing manmade that we can put in the spine, that functions as well as what God originally designed for us.

Dr. Steven Anagnost has dedicated his career to bringing the advantages of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and procedures to Oklahoma, pioneering new laparoscopic spine surgery techniques and bringing these techniques to patients and spine surgeons throughout the world. As a founding member of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and the Less Exposure Surgery Society, Dr. Steven C. Anagnost is a world renowned orthopedic spine surgeon and pioneer in the minimally invasive spine (MIS) surgery community. Dr. Anagnost graduated from Emory University and performed his Spine Surgery fellowship at the prestigious Leatherman Spine Institute. Dr. Anagnost is a friendly, compassionate, and easy-to-talk-to person who is focused on helping his patients make educated decisions. Thousands of happy patients have trusted their spinal care to Dr. Anagnost Dr. Anagnost came to Tulsa in 1999, to bring the benefits of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery to Oklahoma. Prior to his arrival, there was no Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery being performed in Tulsa. He has patented and pioneered multiple spine surgery techniques and developed new tools and instruments used throughout the world, to improve MIS surgery outcomes, procedures and spinal surgery recovery times. Dr. Anagnost has been recognized as one of the leading innovators in United States for MIS techniques for spine surgery and procedures. There has been extensive statistical analysis of Dr. Anagnost's superior quality of care for his patients. This data was compiled from thousands of patient surgeries performed by Dr. Anagnost, and is found in the now famous LaPolla Report. The report shows that Dr. Anagnost provides superior outcomes when compared to other surgeons in the field of spinal surgery, both in Oklahoma as well as national comparisons. These superior outcomes include shorter length of hospital stay, less blood loss, fewer complications, and lower cost per case. Dr. Anagnost has taught the benefits of "band aid spinal procedures", using Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, all over the world. He has pioneered minimally invasive back procedures and technology. He is one of the founding members of the Society of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgeons (SMISS), which is the largest Minimally Invasive Spine Society in the World. Dr. Anagnost also founded the Less Exposure Spine Society (LESS), which also promotes technologically advanced spinal procedures and training for surgeons and patients to understand and utilize the tremendous benefits of outpatient spinal surgery. Many surgeons in Oklahoma do not perform Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, because the surgeon will make less money. Dr. Anagnost does not believe that money should direct a patient's care.

Dr. Anagnost's Experience

See how Dr. Anagnost's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Anagnost

Dr. Anagnost accepts 9 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Anagnost has admitting privileges.

Dr. Anagnost's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Anagnost to family and friends
Dr. Anagnost's Performance
    GOOD
in Tulsa, OK |
I have had major problems with my back for years. I could not get anyone to help me until I met Dr Anagnost. He did the tiny band aid surgery that really helped. I am glad I did it. Dr Anagnost takes really good care of me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have no more pain. I had back surgery with Dr Anagnost and I am glad I did. Dr Anagnost has helped me get my life back.
in Tulsa, OK |
I was in terrible pain before my surgery with Dr Anagnost. Now my pain level is so much better. My incision was smaller than an inch. I am very glad I had the surgery done.
in Tulsa, OK |
My neck pain before surgery was running into my hands making them weak. Dr Anagnost did neck surgery and as soon as I woke up, my arm pain and neck pain were better.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did a great job with my back surgery.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost has treated me and my husband with back injections. Dr A helped us both to avoid surgery.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had back surgery with Dr Anagnost and I feel great. I felt better immediately after surgery. I am very happy with all that Dr Anagnost has done for me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had back fusion with Dr Anagnost and I am doing great. He has really taken away the horrible pain I used to have. I recommend him highly.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost really helped me with my back. I had two previous surgeries before I met Dr Anagnost. I was in real pain. Now I am much better after surgery with Dr Anagnost.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had minimally invasive back fusion with Dr A. I was better immediately. My incision was tiny. He did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have had awful pain in my back and leg for years. It got so bad I could not even left my L foot. I saw another doctor who refused to help me. I heard about Dr Anagnost from a nurse at the hospital. He saw me right away and set me up for surgery to help me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have had back and tailbone pain for years. I am a diabetic also. My doctor recommended that I see Dr Anagnost. I am glad I did. He found my problem quickly and I am getting my life back again.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had a fracture of my spine. I am a musician and play keyboard. Dr Anagnost was able to treat me without surgery. I was pleased to hear that Dr Anagnost is a violinist as well.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had neck surgery with Dr Anagnost back in 2005. He did a great job and I had no pain for years. Now I have developed disc problems at other spots in my neck I went straight back to Dr Anagnost for help. I wont trust anyone else.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had terrible back pain that was running into my legs and feet. Dr Anagnost did surgery on me. I feel so much better, He did a wonderful job. Since then, Dr Anagnost has fixed my son and saved him from being paralyzed. We all trust and believe in Dr Anagnost are thankful for all he has done.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had back surgery with Dr Anagnost. I went home the same day. I am doing fantastic. My pain is gone. I am back to work on the farm and happy. Dr Anagnost did great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have had back pain for years. Dr Anagnost has been doing injections for me and helping me to avoid surgery. They are helping my pain.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost has done injections on my back and I have been able to avoid surgery because of him.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had minimally invasivre back surgery with Dr Anagnost. I feel so much better. I am very happy with Dr Anagnost. He explained my diagnosis and treatment. I am getting Thanks giving dinner ready for the family again this year even after recent back surgery. Dr A helped me get my life back again.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost has helped with shots for my back and leg pain. He has helped me to avoid surgery which I greatly appreciate.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had surgery with Dr Anagnost. I am glad I had the operation done. He did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did back surgery for me. I was in terrible pain before the surgery. After surgery, I could tsll improvement right away. He did a great job. He is the only doctor I will see for my back.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have had severe back and leg pain for years. I have had hose accidents and motorcycle accidents. My back was beat up. Dr Anagnost found my problem and made a plan to fix it. He is a great doctor who really cares.
in Tulsa, OK |
I am a Chiropractor and I have had pain for years. I was able to treat and help myself for years. Eventually the pain got too bad. I have sent patients to Dr Anagnost for years, and now I was his patient. He did band aid back surgery on me and I was better immediately. Dr Anagnost did great.
in Tulsa, OK |
My doctor referred me to Dr Anagnost. He saw me quickly and told me what my diagnosis was right away. He got an MRI and made a treatment plan for me. He was very professional and a good bedside manner.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had severe back and leg pain. I couldn't even lift my left foot the pain was so bad. Dr Anagnost did band aid back surgery and my pain went away immediately. I am back to working on the farm already.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have had back pain for for several months after I fell off my kids skateboard. I was in pain. I met Dr Anagnost and he explained the MRI to me right away. He encouraged me to avoid surgery which I appreciate.
in Tulsa, OK |
I was hurting for years with my back and leg pain. I finally knew I had to do something about it. Dr Anagnost did back surgery and I left the hospital the next day. I was doing great until I fell. Dr A did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did band aid surgery on my back almost 5 years ago i am doing great. I felt better right away and my incision was very tiny. He did a great job helping me. I am back playing with my 8 great grandchildren.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr A fixed my back 2 years ago. I am glad I did the surgery with him. He did a great job and explained things to me.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had neck surgery with Dr Anagnost. I feel much better. He did a great job. He listened to me and explained everything to me.
in Owasso, OK |
This is my 2nd surgery in 10 years and I am extremely pleased with the results, just as before and would highly recommend to any one. Dr Anagnost, very professional and informative, thanks to his complete staff for excellence care
in Tulsa, OK |
I broke my back working with my horses. Dr Anagnost was able to help me without any surgery. I am getting better and better.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had my neck surgery by Dr Anagnost. I am much better now. He did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had 3 level neck surgery with Dr Anagnost. I am very glad I had the surgery done. It even helped my lower back problem. Dr Anagnost really explained everything well to me. He did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have back pain and leg pain. My Dr sent me to Dr Anagnost. He ordered an MRI and showed me the bone spurs and discs that were pressing on my nerves. Luckily Dr Anagnost said he could treat my pain without surgery and he is doing injections. I am happy to not have surgery.
in Tulsa, OK |
My Mom is 75 years old and had a stroke with a fracture in her back. Our doctor sent us to see Dr Anagnost. He recommended shots instead of any major surgery. I am glad to avoid surgery.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had terrible back pain and leg weakness i was in terrible pain. Dr Anagnost helped me with injectikna for years, but finally the injections stopped working. He finally did surgery and boy did it help. I feel great and I have no more pain. Dr Anagnost did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I have been having back and leg pain for years. Dr Anagnost has helped me with injections which are really helping. I like that he helps his patients to avoid surgery whene err possible.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had back survery about 15 years ago with Dr Anagnost. It really helped. I am still doing well now. He sis a great job. I recommend him highly.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost is awesome. I totally trust him. My neck pain was awful. Dr Anagnost showed me the MRI and fixed me with his small surgery. I was better immediately. He did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
I had previous surgery with another surgeon. I was still hurting so my doctor sent me to Dr Anagnost for a second opinion. I am glad I did. He found the problem and fixed it right away. I am glad I got to meet Dr Anagnost and how much he has helped me.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost has helped fix my back pain with injections only. I am back to running the ranch and doing what I want at 73 years old. I am very glad Dr Anagnost helped me to avoid surgery.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost is very professional and patient. He listens to me which I think is great. I trust him with my spine care.
in Tulsa, OK |
I was in terrible pain. I went to the ER and I met Dr Anagnost. He explained to me that my spine was crushing my nerves. He did surgery right away. When I woke up from surgery, my pain was gone. It was amazing. Dr Anagnost saved me.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost did surgery on my back. He did a fantastic job. I am so much better. I really trust Dr Anagnost with my care.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr Anagnost is a fantastic doctor. I cant say enough good things about him. He fixed my back pain with a tiny incision. I have my life back again.
in Tulsa, OK |
Dr A did band aid back surgery on me. I was in horrible pain before surgery with bone spurs crushing my nerves. When I woke up from surgery, I could feel relief right away. I don't have to take pain medicine anymore. Dr A really did a great job.
in Tulsa, OK |
My minimal invasive back surgery with Dr Anagnost is doing great i can stand up straight now, and my pain is much better. Dr A did a great job.
Have you seen Dr. Steven Anagnost, MD?
Are you Dr. Anagnost?

Compare Dr. Anagnost

Dr. Anagnost says...

Dr. Steven Anagnost has dedicated his career to bringing the advantages of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and procedures to Oklahoma, pioneering new laparoscopic spine surgery techniques and bringing these techniques to patients and spine surgeons throughout the world.

Dr. Anagnost came to Tulsa in 1999, to bring the benefits of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery to Oklahoma. Prior to his arrival, there was no Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery being performed in Tulsa. He has patented and pioneered multiple spine surgery techniques and developed new tools and instruments used throughout the world, to improve MIS surgery outcomes, procedures and spinal surgery recovery times.  Dr. Anagnost has been recognized as one of the leading innovators in United States for MIS techniques for spine surgery and procedures.

Dr. Anagnost has taught the benefits of "band aid spinal procedures", using Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, all over the world.  He has pioneered minimally invasive back procedures and technology.  He is one of the founding members of the Society of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgeons (SMISS), which is the largest Minimally Invasive Spine Society in the World.  Dr. Anagnost also founded the Less Exposure Spine Society (LESS), which also promotes technologically advanced spinal procedures and training for surgeons and patients to understand and utilize the tremendous benefits of outpatient spinal surgery.

Many surgeons in Oklahoma do not perform Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, because the surgeon will make less money.  Dr. Anagnost does not believe that money should direct a patient's care.

Dr. Anagnost's Care Philosophy

Dr. Anagnost says...

As a founding member of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and the Less Exposure Surgery Society, Dr. Steven C. Anagnost is a world renowned orthopedic spine surgeon and pioneer in the minimally invasive spine (MIS) surgery community. Dr. Anagnost graduated from Emory University and performed his Spine Surgery fellowship at the prestigious Leatherman Spine Institute. Dr. Anagnost is a friendly, compassionate, and easy-to-talk-to person who is focused on helping his patients make educated decisions. Thousands of happy patients have trusted their spinal care to Dr. Anagnost.

Dr. Anagnost says...

As a researcher, Dr. Anagnost has been recognized for multiple research projects.   He has been rewarded nationally for the Top Research of the Year 2000 in his work on the effects of smoking and spinal fusion.  He has also researched and pioneered new procedures and instrumentation in the field of minimally invasive spine surgery.  Dr. Anagnost has passionately pursued his research in spinal surgery and presented his research to doctors throughout the United States and the world.

Dr. Anagnost's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Oklahoma not available
  •  Sanctions found
  •  Board actions found

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Oklahoma.

Dr. Anagnost has received 2 sanctions

• Disciplinary action in another state (8/15/2014)
    • Action Taken: License Restricted
    • Summary: Please reference the following Document
    • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    • State: Kentucky
    • Other (9/12/2013)
    • Action Taken: Consent Order
    • Summary: Dr. Steven Constantine Anagnost; License # 21194; NATURE OF COMPLAINT: Voluntary submittal to jurisdiction. ACTION TAKEN: The physician shall appear before the Oklahome Medical Board documenting successful completion of continuing medical education in the area of billing and medical recordkeeping and completion of an ACGME-affiliated spine visiting fellowship prior to resuming surgical practice in Oklahoma. The physician shall also pay a $10,000 fine plus costs before resuming surgical practice in Oklahoma.
    • State: Oklahoma
    Board Action

Dr. Anagnost has 1 board action

• Other (1/16/2014)
    • Action Taken: Release from Prior Order
    • Summary: Dr. Steven Constantine Anagnost; License # 21194; NATURE OF COMPLAINT: The physician completed all requirements ordered by the Oklahoma Medical Board 09-12-2013 Consent Order & Agreement. ACTION TAKEN: No Board limitation on the physician's surgical practice in Oklahoma.
    • State: Oklahoma

Graduated in 1989

• Other Education
    Society Of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeons

Completed in 2007

Dr. Anagnost does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Anagnost and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Adult Orthopedic Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Surgery
  • Orthopedic Neck Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Pediatric Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery

• Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (ALIF)
  • Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection
  • Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection
  • Lumbar Facet Joint Injection
  • Lumbar Transforaminal Injection
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation