Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery  |
Dr. Steve Petersen, MD
A product of the Mid-West, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and went to undergraduate school in Illinois farm country, Monmouth Illinois, where I majored in Chemistry and played varsity football. I graduated from Chicago's Rush Medical School with honors in 1981 and spent the following 6 years as an orthopaedic resident and graduate student at The Mayo Graduate School of Medicine/Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I attended medical school on an Army Health Professions Scholarship and as a Major, AMC, served 4 years as the Associate Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery at Letterman Army Medical Center (LAMC), Presidio of San Francisco, CA., and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal. I completed a shoulder fellowship in 1991, with Dr. Richard Hawkins at the Steadman/Hawkins Clinic, Vail, CO. Since 1992, I have served in leadership positions as Associate Professor in the Orthopaedic Departments of Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI., and The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. I have trained over 120 orthopaedic residents and shoulder fellows, served as interim Chair for the Wayne State Orthopaedic Department, and shoulder fellowship director and co-director for the Johns Hopkins Shoulder Division. I have been fortunate to have been awarded teacher of the year by the LAMC and Wayne State orthopaedic residents, selected in 1999 as a European Traveling Fellow by the American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES) , and by my peers as Best Doctor in America from 2002-present. I continue to remain active in clinical orthopaedic research and have authored/co-authored over 60 peer reviewed publications/chapters. I am a member in numerous othropaedic societies to include ASES, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, European Society for Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, American Orthopaedic Society, Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons, Orthopaedic Research Society and the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.

5601 Loch Raven Blvd Ste G-1

Baltimore, MD 21239

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • CareOregon
  • CareSource
  • Community Health Choice
  • Coventry Health Care of Delaware
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Health Net
  • HealthPlus
  • HealthPlus Amerigroup

Learn about Dr. Petersen

I am committed to a comprehensive approach for the diagnosis and treatment of shoulder disorders through specialized patient care, individualized rehabilitation programs, and if necessary, advanced surgical procedures to include arthroscopic and open techniques. My practice specializes in treating common and complex shoulder disorders with patient education emphasized in my care.

Dr. Petersen's Experience

Dr. Petersen's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery

• Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Shoulder Reconstruction
  • Shoulder Replacement
  • Shoulder Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• Monmouth Mc
  • Traveling
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1999
  • Mayo U
    Other Education | Completed 1989

Dr. Petersen has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Petersen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Petersen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Petersen's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Petersen to family and friends
Dr. Petersen's Performance
Owings Mills, MD |
Dr. Steve Petersen had the expertise to fix 2 large full thickness tears in my rotator cuff after a fall on the ice. My shoulder is functioning very well with no pain .
in Mechanicsburg, PA |
Excellent doctor, I had surgery on both shoulders with less then desirable results, went to Dr Peterson and had both shoulders replaced, I can now do the things; golf, play with grandkids, work, lift, with no pain. He is a true professional and has few in his field, who can match his expertise. Glad I met this Dr. and highly recommend him to anyone who has shoulder issues.
New York, NY |
I sought treatment severe pain in my upper arm. Dr Petersen misdiagnosed the problem as a neck problem. I consulted a neurosurgeon and orthopaedist who disagreed and said it was a shoulder problem. When Dr Petersen refused to see me after these diagnoses. I saw another shoulder specialist who also disagreed with his diagnosis and gave me a steroid injection which solved my problem. Wrong and stubborn is not a good combination. In the meantime, I had months of pain.
No one is more critical of my diagnosis and treatment plan than myself. Fortunately, successful treatment has been offerred by another physician that has provided relief of this person's shoulder pain. I am hopefull that the benefits of the injection will be lasting. Of note, I have not treated someone from NY,NY, over the past 12 months.
in Sparrows Point, MD |
Highly likely
in Washington, DC |
I was referred to Dr. Petersen by another distinguished orthopedic surgeon (albeit not a shoulder surgeon) who told me that my rotator cuff was irreparable. Dr. Petersen took one look at the MRI and said "I can fix you right up." And, indeed he did. He fully repaired my rotator cuff and in less than four months, I was in the pool and swimming laps. Today, it is fully functional and as good as new! I wouldn't think of going to anyone else for shoulder issues!
in Abingdon, Md. |
One of the best. Long history with Dr. Peterson.
in Baltimore, MD |
Absolutely! Would highly recommend Dr. Petersen and the entire staff. Knowledgable, warm, friendly and very patient.
in Burtonsville, MD |
Terrific doctor and amazing surgeon. Tremendous results. He has my highest recommendation. Wish all doctors were as awesome!!
in Baltimore, MD |
I would recommend Dr. S. Petersen to others because of his knowledge of shoulders, his willingness to offer options besides shoulder replacement, his ability to ensure trust and his overall demeanor plus his experience and research into arthroscopic shoulder surgery.
in Parkville, MD |
Dr Petersen performed a total shoulder replacement on me on 9/20/16. He was very up front with what my experience would be during recovery. The first week I was pretty sore but after that there was minimal pain, if any. I am 8 weeks out and I feel great. I still have some exercises I do every day at home. I would highly recommend him, he is very personable and takes the time to explain everything. His staff is very pleasant along with Alex, his P.A.
in Parkville, MD |
Dr. Petersen was very patient and concise in explaining what was involved in the procedure and what to expect afterwards and throughout rehab. I would highly recommend Dr. Petersen to anyone who is having shoulder issues
in Baltimore, MD |
Dr Petersen performed my shoulder surgery in April. I could not have been more satisfied with the entire experience. Priscilla the office manager was so helpful in preparing me for the surgical day. Dr Petersen himself was extremely professional, offering as much time as needed with each follow up visit. He answers all questions no matter how long. Alex his P.A. was always present and helpful with all requests. So greatful that Dr Petersen's name was highly recommended to me. AWESOME TEAM !
in Ellicott City, MD |
I could see that Dr. Peterson takes great pride in his profession because of the time he took with me and my wife to clearly explain the procedure with my up coming surgery. His P.A Alex is extremely considerate and knowledgeable when it comes to the patient concerns/issues during my office visit. I can't say enough about Dr. Peterson and his P.A, Alex but, thank you for your time and expertise. Also, I truly appreciate that I had the opportunity to have my physical therapy completed in my home
in Winter garden florida |
Detailed explanation of medical condition and thoroughness of examination. He answered all questions politely and is never end rushed. I leave florida to come see him in Maryland because he is so very good in his field of expertise.
in Baltimore, MD |
Dr. Petersen is takes a lot of pride in his profession. He clearly explains the procedure from start to finish. His assistant, Alex, is very knowledgable and helpful. I had some concerns the day after surgery. Dr. Petersen and Alex promptly came to the hospital room.
in Olney,Md |
Shelly in Olney- I had three surgeries with Dr. Petersen, I consider him to be very skilled and knowledgable. He explained everything I wanted to know and was very generous with his time. My case was complicated and he did an outstanding job. Not only is he brilliant he's also kind and compassionate. I would never consider seeing another shoulder orthopedist. I would whole heartedly recommend him to anyone in need of his services.
in Easton, MD |
He took the time to explain treatment options. Was thorough and not rushed. I had a reverse shoulder replacement five years ago with absolutely no postoperative pain! It is still perfect. So when I had a problem with the other shoulder I made an appointment with Dr. Petersen. He is a world-class surgeon. I would fly to Baltimore from anywhere in the world to have Dr. Petersen take care of me!
in Conowingo, MD |
I have already recommended Dr. Petersen to a friend of mine. Dr. Petersen was able to repair my fully torn shoulder muscle even after it had been declared irreparable by my first orthopedic surgeon. Under his care, I am now on the way to a fuller recovery than I might have otherwise achieved. Thank you, Dr. Petersen.
in Highland, MD |
I had a total shoulder replacement in 2013 and couldn't be happier. Good as new. Same total range of motion as before. Same/improved level of muscular strength.
in Timonium, MD |
Dr. Petersen is a top notch doctor. He is thorough, patient, and a good listener. With three decades of broad and specialized experience to draw upon, Dr. Petersen's plan of care has proven to be successful each time I have turned to him for help. He is a Super Doc, and I wouldn't trust my care to any other orthopedic surgeon.
Waynesboro, PA |
Dr. Petersen is generous with his time in explaining in detail the cause and remedy of your condition. A refreshing experience in today's busy world. He is impressive.
in Aberdeen, MD |
I am a (75) yr old woman who couldn't lift my arm, (6) weeks later i am with out pain and have total movement with arm and shoulder.
in Owings Mills, MD |
Dr. Peterson and his staff are very professional. He was able to diagnose my issues and provide successful treatments that other doctors were unable to provide.
in New York, NY |
My experience with Dr. Petersen and his PA was refreshing. It reminded me of the way healthcare used to be. They care and it shows. You're not rushed and he's great with explaining what's going on and proactive in his method of care.
in Baltimore, MD |
Aside from Dr. Petersen's obvious professional skills, he is generous with his time and eager to answer questions.
in Baltimore, MD |
I was very happy with the care that Dr. Petersen provided me for a shoulder problem. He explained things in an understandable way. I eventually required surgery for shoulder impingement; the pre-operative instructions were very comprehensive and helpful.
in Baltimore, MD |
I would recommend Dr. Peterson because he was very kind, gentle, and descriptive. He explained my condition to me where I could understand it.
in Maryland Line, MD |
I am very satisfied with the result of the operation
in Baltimore, MD |
I have had left shoulder replacement and right reverse shoulder replacement both without complications.
in Cockeysville, MD |
Dr. Petersen is a doctor that explains things in a patient and clear manner. He makes you feel comfortable and that you are being taken care of by a true specialist in shoulder care. That is all he does. I contacted another office that was rude and not accommodating at all. I am so glad I went to see Dr. Petersen.
in Baltimore, MD |
I highly recommend Dr. Petersen to anyone who has shoulder problems. This is my second (first with Dr. Petersen) shoulder surgery and I could not be happier. He makes you feel that you are a part of the process, and is clear and concise with his explanations. He invites you to speak up and ask questions, and ensures you understand everything discussed each visit (protocols, procedures, medical terminology used, etc.). I am extremely happy with the procedure and highly recommend him.
Have you seen Dr. Steve Petersen, MD?

Visit Dr. Petersen

• Community Health Choice
    Group Plan PPO
  • Coventry Health Care of Delaware
    Coventry Health Care of Delaware HMO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA