Dr. Steve A. Petersen, MD

Dr. Steve A. Petersen, MD

Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery | Male

GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL 5601 Loch Raven Blvd Ste G-1, Baltimore, MD 21239 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

I am committed to a comprehensive approach for the diagnosis and treatment of shoulder disorders through specialized patient care, individualized rehabilitation programs, and if necessary, advanced surgical procedures to include arthroscopic and open techniques. My practice specializes in treating common and complex shoulder disorders with patient education emphasized in my care.Read more

Personal Bio

A product of the Mid-West, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and went to undergraduate school in Illinois farm...Read more

Dr. Petersen's Experience

97Experience
Match

See how Dr. Petersen's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Petersen

Dr. Petersen accepts 29 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Petersen has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Petersen's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Petersen to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Petersen
Dr. Petersen's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (72)
in Baltimore, MD |
Dr Petersen performed my shoulder surgery in April. I could not have been more satisfied with the entire experience. Priscilla the office manager was so helpful in preparing me for the surgical day. Dr Petersen himself was extremely professional, offering as much time as needed with each follow up visit. He answers all questions no matter how long. Alex his P.A. was always present and helpful with all requests. So greatful that Dr Petersen's name was highly recommended to me. AWESOME TEAM !
in Ellicott City, MD |
I could see that Dr. Peterson takes great pride in his profession because of the time he took with me and my wife to clearly explain the procedure with my up coming surgery. His P.A Alex is extremely considerate and knowledgeable when it comes to the patient concerns/issues during my office visit. I can't say enough about Dr. Peterson and his P.A, Alex but, thank you for your time and expertise. Also, I truly appreciate that I had the opportunity to have my physical therapy completed in my home
in Winter garden florida |
Detailed explanation of medical condition and thoroughness of examination. He answered all questions politely and is never end rushed. I leave florida to come see him in Maryland because he is so very good in his field of expertise.
in silver spring, md |
Dr. Petersen is precise in his exam and lays out testing & treatment options very clearly, letting you know what he expects to learn from a test and what treatment options exist for the possible test results.
in Baltimore, MD |
Dr. Petersen is takes a lot of pride in his profession. He clearly explains the procedure from start to finish. His assistant, Alex, is very knowledgable and helpful. I had some concerns the day after surgery. Dr. Petersen and Alex promptly came to the hospital room.
in Olney,Md |
Shelly in Olney- I had three surgeries with Dr. Petersen, I consider him to be very skilled and knowledgable. He explained everything I wanted to know and was very generous with his time. My case was complicated and he did an outstanding job. Not only is he brilliant he's also kind and compassionate. I would never consider seeing another shoulder orthopedist. I would whole heartedly recommend him to anyone in need of his services.
in Easton, MD |
He took the time to explain treatment options. Was thorough and not rushed. I had a reverse shoulder replacement five years ago with absolutely no postoperative pain! It is still perfect. So when I had a problem with the other shoulder I made an appointment with Dr. Petersen. He is a world-class surgeon. I would fly to Baltimore from anywhere in the world to have Dr. Petersen take care of me!
in Conowingo, MD |
I have already recommended Dr. Petersen to a friend of mine. Dr. Petersen was able to repair my fully torn shoulder muscle even after it had been declared irreparable by my first orthopedic surgeon. Under his care, I am now on the way to a fuller recovery than I might have otherwise achieved. Thank you, Dr. Petersen.
in Highland, MD |
I had a total shoulder replacement in 2013 and couldn't be happier. Good as new. Same total range of motion as before. Same/improved level of muscular strength.
in Timonium, MD |
Dr. Petersen is a top notch doctor. He is thorough, patient, and a good listener. With three decades of broad and specialized experience to draw upon, Dr. Petersen's plan of care has proven to be successful each time I have turned to him for help. He is a Super Doc, and I wouldn't trust my care to any other orthopedic surgeon.
Waynesboro, PA |
Dr. Petersen is generous with his time in explaining in detail the cause and remedy of your condition. A refreshing experience in today's busy world. He is impressive.
in Aberdeen, MD |
I am a (75) yr old woman who couldn't lift my arm, (6) weeks later i am with out pain and have total movement with arm and shoulder.
in Abingdon, MD |
The same excellent care year after year. One of the best!
in Owings Mills, MD |
Dr. Peterson and his staff are very professional. He was able to diagnose my issues and provide successful treatments that other doctors were unable to provide.
in New York, NY |
My experience with Dr. Petersen and his PA was refreshing. It reminded me of the way healthcare used to be. They care and it shows. You're not rushed and he's great with explaining what's going on and proactive in his method of care.
in Baltimore, MD |
Aside from Dr. Petersen's obvious professional skills, he is generous with his time and eager to answer questions.
in Baltimore, MD |
I was very happy with the care that Dr. Petersen provided me for a shoulder problem. He explained things in an understandable way. I eventually required surgery for shoulder impingement; the pre-operative instructions were very comprehensive and helpful.
in Baltimore, MD |
I would recommend Dr. Peterson because he was very kind, gentle, and descriptive. He explained my condition to me where I could understand it.
in Maryland Line, MD |
I am very satisfied with the result of the operation
in Baltimore, MD |
I have had left shoulder replacement and right reverse shoulder replacement both without complications.
in Cockeysville, MD |
Dr. Petersen is a doctor that explains things in a patient and clear manner. He makes you feel comfortable and that you are being taken care of by a true specialist in shoulder care. That is all he does. I contacted another office that was rude and not accommodating at all. I am so glad I went to see Dr. Petersen.
in Baltimore, MD |
I highly recommend Dr. Petersen to anyone who has shoulder problems. This is my second (first with Dr. Petersen) shoulder surgery and I could not be happier. He makes you feel that you are a part of the process, and is clear and concise with his explanations. He invites you to speak up and ask questions, and ensures you understand everything discussed each visit (protocols, procedures, medical terminology used, etc.). I am extremely happy with the procedure and highly recommend him.
Have you seen Dr. Steve A. Petersen, MD?
Are you Dr. Petersen?

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine
  • Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction

Why It Matters: Dr. Petersen's Board Certifications

Dr. Petersen says..

I have had a shoulder specialty practice since 1987, with my practice based at an academic medical center the majority of my career. This has provided me the opportunity to provide care for challenging shoulder disorders and offer safe, comprehensive, "state of the art" treatments that offer predictable results/outcomes.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Chondrocalcinosis

• Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Reconstruction
  • Shoulder Replacement
  • Shoulder Surgery

No malpractice history found for Maryland.

Rush Med Coll Of Rush Univ

Graduated in 1976

• Other Education
    Mayo U

Completed in 1989

Dr. Petersen has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Petersen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Petersen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Petersen's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Petersen

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Petersen's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Petersen

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Petersen says...

A product of the Mid-West, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and went to undergraduate school in Illinois farm country, Monmouth Illinois, where I majored in Chemistry and played varsity football. I graduated from Chicago's Rush Medical School with honors in 1981 and spent the following 6 years as an orthopaedic resident and graduate student at The Mayo Graduate School of Medicine/Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I attended medical school on an Army Health Professions Scholarship and as a Major, AMC, served 4 years as the Associate Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery at Letterman Army Medical Center (LAMC), Presidio of San Francisco, CA., and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal. I completed a shoulder fellowship in 1991, with Dr. Richard Hawkins at the Steadman/Hawkins Clinic, Vail, CO. Since 1992, I have served in leadership positions as Associate Professor in the Orthopaedic Departments of Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI., and The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. I have trained over 120 orthopaedic residents and shoulder fellows, served as interim Chair for the Wayne State Orthopaedic Department, and shoulder fellowship director and co-director for the Johns Hopkins Shoulder Division. I have been fortunate to have been awarded teacher of the year by the LAMC and Wayne State orthopaedic residents, selected in 1999 as a European Traveling Fellow by the American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES) , and by my peers as Best Doctor in America from 2002-present. I continue to remain active in clinical orthopaedic research and have authored/co-authored over 60 peer reviewed publications/chapters. I am a member in numerous othropaedic societies to include ASES, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, European Society for Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, American Orthopaedic Society, Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons, Orthopaedic Research Society and the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.

Dr. Petersen's Care Philosophy