Dr. Steve Chang, MD

Dr. Steve Chang, MD

Neurosurgery  |

Growing up, Dr. Steve Chang always wanted to be either a teacher or a doctor. Fortunately for BNA and our patients, he chose to do both. At Barrow Neurological Institute, Dr. Chang instructs and mentors neurosurgery residents and sees patients with spinal disorders and brain tumors.Growing up in North Carolina, Dr. Chang attended Duke University, then graduated from UNC-CH with a degree in Medicine. He completed his internship in Surgery at Banner Good Samaritan. The next years were spent at Barrow Neurological Institute, completing his neurosurgery residency and fellowships in Skull Base/Cerebrovascular and Complex Spine.His interest is in caring for patients with complex health spine and brain disorders, and working with them as a team to restore their lives. He believes in treating each patient as he would his own family members.Dr. Chang's outside interests include hiking, tennis, and spending time with his family.

Barrow Brain and Spine

2910 N 3rd Ave

Phoenix, AZ 85013

• AARP
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Bankers Life and Casualty
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio

Learn about Dr. Chang

At BNA, we put our patients first.  We are committed to treating our patients with compassion and to providing innovative and sound medical options for the treatment of our patient's neurological conditions.  As a patient of BNA, your health and well-being are important to us.  The neurosurgeons, physiatrists, hospital staff, neurological institute, and other members of our multidisciplinary team work together with one goal in mind - helping you get well.

Dr. Chang's Experience

Dr. Chang's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery

• Brain Tumor
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lumbar Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Surgery
  • Thoracic Surgical Procedure
  • Thoracoscopy
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization
  • X Stop® Interspinous Process Decompression System

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Duke University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1997
  • University Of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2002
  • Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2003
  • St. Joseph's Hospital & Medical Center, Neurosurgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009

Dr. Chang has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese

Dr. Chang does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chang and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Chang's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chang to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Chang's Performance
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr Chang preformed ACDF surgery three months ago on me. I was apprehensive for several reasons. One my age, two I had tried acupuncture, wave therapy, physical therapy, and epidurals nothing had given me relief. Originally, I went in for excruciating lower back pain. After examining my MRI Dr Chang informed me that I had a serious issue with my neck and would not take a chance performing back surgery until the problem with my neck was corrected. The back pain has greatly improved. Dr Chang TY
Albuquerque, NM |
I am grateful to Dr Chang and his staff for a successful surgery.
in Maricopa, AZ |
Dr. Steve Chang is an amazing Neurosurgeon. Dr. Chang is a brilliant Neurosurgeon, as I would highly recommend Dr. Steve Chang who is in need of a excellent Neurosurgeon. Dr. Chang is a very kind, caring and an exceptional physician. My surgery was a complete success and I can walk with little pain after only 3 and a half months out from my surgery. Thanks to Dr. Chang I am on the road to recovery and a normal happy life again! Thank you Dr. Chang and your caring staff. God Bless you
in Glendale AZ |
I would recommend Dr Chang to every person with a spinal issue....He puts you the patient first, He makes you feel like a person he has known for years, he is so kind, soft spoken and very caring about you. discuss with you what your problem is and how best to fix it and get your life back on track.Staff is just as caring and so courteous. I was hurting so bad and had been for 6months, but after my surgery I am so much better, and still recuperating.
Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Chang is a fantastic surgeon who performed spinal fusion on my neck in 2016. I consulted with several surgeons throughout the valley before deciding to proceed forward with Dr. Chang. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome of my operation, and would highly recommend him to anyone in need of spinal surgery.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Chang is a very nice person with great bedside manner. He made sure to thoroughly explain the procedure he would be performing and what should be expected after surgery if there are no complications. He spoke to the designated family immediately following surgery, took his time and allowed adequate time for questions. I really can't say enough about Dr. Chang, he is a really wonderful doctor.
Phoenix, AZ |
Said I"only"had2bulging discs&that his other patients are a lot worse off.Never addressed my Lumbar,Despite requiring me to go get 2More x-rays,lumbar& cervical.He said because I have degenerating disc if he were2do surgery2fix C5&C6 the others around it would fail.When I tried to ask(cause he walked out the door&wouldn't let me ask a ?)why I was told"MARKED"was BAD&another surgeon was going to do surgery to fuse my neck.He simply said,"I'm only one surgeon if you want2go back2him go"My hope 4 h
A+++ I feel great!!!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Chang is fantastic. He carefully explained my diagnosis, in plain, easy to understand terms. Dr. Chang described the problem clearly and the proposed solution. After the surgery, he described how it went & confirmed that everything came out as predicted. His follow-up care, and that of his staff, perpetuated the delivery of comprehensive information in easily understood terms. I could not have chosen a better surgeon.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Having recently been confronted with the need for rather extensive cervical spinal surgery, I was introduced to Dr. Chang, and his staff. From first meeting, and throughout my surgery, and post-op experience, I was absolutely impressed with Dr. Chang, and his entire staff. In my conversations with the various doctors that ultimately referred me to Dr. Chang, he is a true professional, held in very high esteem. Informative, compassionate, exemplary care!
in Chandler, AZ |
Severe Bilateral leg pain cured completely. Short recovery time after surgery. Perfect outcome.
in Glendale, AZ |
I'm a 65 year old male who has been having spinal problems for many years including lower back, hips and leg pain, and weakness in legs. For years, Pain Management had me on narcotics. Dr. Chang performed lumbar surgery 4 months ago. I was back to work after 3 weeks (office job) and everyone, including myself is surprised at how quickly I recovered. I can honestly say that I haven't felt better for decades. Pain level = 0! Dr. Chang and his staff have given me my life back!
in san tan valley, a, |
First meeting Chang deemed arrogant, as he was sizing me for a fight. Ask some questions which didnt seem as though necessary. Flag one my weight. Flag 2 call at various times to see if staff received my info or that I had a question., No call back on several occasions. Flag 3 staff did call me back to say I didn't have to go to pre op and stuff after getting blood work through family dr. Flag 4 , had 4 prior surgeries and I'm not in st Joseph system and surgery 5 days away, not good.
in Las Vegas, AZ |
Dr. Chang focuses on what is best for each individual patient. At least that's what happened in my case. I am forever greatful and have nothing but GREAT things to say about this man!
Scottsdale |
Dr Chang spent only less than 5 mins to talk to me in my first visit. He did not even give me a chance to ask him questions & spent 0 mins examining my pain. His office had me take x-ray & I brought my I MRI but he spent 0 min explaining the results of my x-ray & MRI. Ironically, this less than 5 mins conversation is going to cost a couple hundred dollar.
Have you seen Dr. Steve Chang, MD?
Are you Dr. Chang?

Visit Dr. Chang

Dr. Chang accepts 27 insurance carriers
  • AARP
    Aetna PPO
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO
    Blue Cross Blue Shield POS
    Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
    Cigna POS
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA PPO
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio