Dr. Steve W. Chang, MD

Dr. Steve W. Chang, MD

Neurosurgery | Male | 41 years old

Growing up, Dr. Steve Chang always wanted to be either a teacher or a doctor. Fortunately for BNA and our patients, he chose to do both. At Barrow Neurological Institute, Dr. Chang instructs and mentors neurosurgery residents and sees patients with spinal disorders and brain tumors.Growing up in North Carolina, Dr. Chang attended Duke University, then graduated from UNC-CH with a degree in Medicine. He completed his internship in Surgery at Banner Good Samaritan. The next years were spent at Barrow Neurological Institute, completing his neurosurgery residency and fellowships in Skull Base/Cerebrovascular and Complex Spine.His interest is in caring for patients with complex health spine and brain disorders, and working with them as a team to restore their lives. He believes in treating each patient as he would his own family members.Dr. Chang's outside interests include hiking, tennis, and spending time with his family.Read more

Barrow Brain and Spine
2910 N 3rd Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85013 Get Directions

At BNA, we put our patients first. We are committed to treating our patients with compassion and to providing innovative and sound medical options for the treatment of our patient's neurological conditions. As a patient of BNA, your health and well-being are important to us. The neurosurgeons, physiatrists, hospital staff, neurological institute, and other members of our multidisciplinary team work together with one goal in mind - helping you get well.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Chang's Experience

See how Dr. Chang's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Chang

Dr. Chang accepts 27 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 6 hospitals where Dr. Chang has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Chang
Dr. Chang's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (60)
Phoenix, AZ |
Said I"only"had2bulging discs&that his other patients are a lot worse off.Never addressed my Lumbar,Despite requiring me to go get 2More x-rays,lumbar& cervical.He said because I have degenerating disc if he were2do surgery2fix C5&C6 the others around it would fail.When I tried to ask(cause he walked out the door&wouldn't let me ask a ?)why I was told"MARKED"was BAD&another surgeon was going to do surgery to fuse my neck.He simply said,"I'm only one surgeon if you want2go back2him go"My hope 4 h
in Phoenix, AZ |
A+++ I feel great!!!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Chang is fantastic. He carefully explained my diagnosis, in plain, easy to understand terms. Dr. Chang described the problem clearly and the proposed solution. After the surgery, he described how it went & confirmed that everything came out as predicted. His follow-up care, and that of his staff, perpetuated the delivery of comprehensive information in easily understood terms. I could not have chosen a better surgeon.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Having recently been confronted with the need for rather extensive cervical spinal surgery, I was introduced to Dr. Chang, and his staff. From first meeting, and throughout my surgery, and post-op experience, I was absolutely impressed with Dr. Chang, and his entire staff. In my conversations with the various doctors that ultimately referred me to Dr. Chang, he is a true professional, held in very high esteem. Informative, compassionate, exemplary care!
in Chandler, AZ |
Severe Bilateral leg pain cured completely. Short recovery time after surgery. Perfect outcome.
in Glendale, AZ |
I'm a 65 year old male who has been having spinal problems for many years including lower back, hips and leg pain, and weakness in legs. For years, Pain Management had me on narcotics. Dr. Chang performed lumbar surgery 4 months ago. I was back to work after 3 weeks (office job) and everyone, including myself is surprised at how quickly I recovered. I can honestly say that I haven't felt better for decades. Pain level = 0! Dr. Chang and his staff have given me my life back!
in san tan valley, a, |
First meeting Chang deemed arrogant, as he was sizing me for a fight. Ask some questions which didnt seem as though necessary. Flag one my weight. Flag 2 call at various times to see if staff received my info or that I had a question., No call back on several occasions. Flag 3 staff did call me back to say I didn't have to go to pre op and stuff after getting blood work through family dr. Flag 4 , had 4 prior surgeries and I'm not in st Joseph system and surgery 5 days away, not good.
in Las Vegas, AZ |
Dr. Chang focuses on what is best for each individual patient. At least that's what happened in my case. I am forever greatful and have nothing but GREAT things to say about this man!
Scottsdale |
Dr Chang spent only less than 5 mins to talk to me in my first visit. He did not even give me a chance to ask him questions & spent 0 mins examining my pain. His office had me take x-ray & I brought my I MRI but he spent 0 min explaining the results of my x-ray & MRI. Ironically, this less than 5 mins conversation is going to cost a couple hundred dollar.
Have you seen Dr. Steve W. Chang, MD?
Are you Dr. Chang?

Compare Dr. Chang

More Neurosurgery Specialists like Dr. Chang at Barrow Brain and Spine

Dr. Chang says...

Dr. Chang's Care Philosophy

At BNA, we put our patients first.  We are committed to treating our patients with compassion and to providing innovative and sound medical options for the treatment of our patient's neurological conditions.  As a patient of BNA, your health and well-being are important to us.  The neurosurgeons, physiatrists, hospital staff, neurological institute, and other members of our multidisciplinary team work together with one goal in mind - helping you get well.

Dr. Chang's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Arizona not available

Dr. Chang has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

Why It Matters: Dr. Chang's Board Certifications

• Brain Tumor
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lumbar Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors

Completed in 2009

Duke University

Graduated in 1997

• Chinese

Dr. Chang does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chang and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Surgery