Dr. Stephen Wilson, MD

Dr. Stephen Wilson, MD

Pain Medicine | Male

Dr. Wilson believes in treating the whole person, not just the pain symptoms. His goal is to restore function to allow the patient to achieve a pain-free high quality of living.

Dr. Wilson is a native of Detroit, Michigan. He attended Wayne State Medical School and went on to do his residency in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Schwab Rehab in Chicago. He believes in practicing what he preaches and thus is a fit and healthy individual being a plant-based eater, running marathons and engaging in 100-150 mile bike races. He is passionate about helping his patients live a pain-free life and that is why he went on to earn his second board certification in Pain Medicine and was also certified in Medical Acupuncture. He is an Integrative Medicine provider as he finds ways to integrate both the traditional medical treatments (EMG's, Nerve condution studies, Injections etc) with complementary/alternative ones (Medical Acupuncture, Prolotherapy, Intramuscular stimulation, cupping etc) for optimal results for his patients. His practice, Advanced Physical Medicine, is a comprehensive pain management center featuring not only his medical services and medical acupuncture but also highly trained physical therapists and a certified massage therapist.

Dr. Wilson's Experience

See how Dr. Wilson's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Wilson

Dr. Wilson accepts 17 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Wilson has admitting privileges.

Dr. Wilson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wilson to family and friends
    3.7
    Dr. Wilson's Performance
    in Saint Clair Shores, MI |
    Excellent job
    in St. Clair Shores |
    Dr. Wilson has been treating me for many years. I have had two back surgeries (cervical fusions) and have received no pain relief from this surgery. In addition, I have many other issues with my back and I am in chronic pain everyday. No one else has been able to help me with my problems with the exception of Dr. Wilson. He is extremely knowledgeable and easy to talk to. If it weren't for him, my pain levels would stay extremely high. I consider him a God send.
    in Macomb, MI |
    Dr. Wilson is truly a godsend to me! When I first walked into Dr Wilson's office, I was a total mess! Dr Wilson is a very professional, caring Dr. that takes his time to listen to his patients with compassion and works with his patients to find the best solution to their pain! Dr. Wilson also has a great sense of humor which is uplifting to his patients! I would recommend Dr. Wilson to all my family and friends My life is better now because of Dr. Wilson, thank you so much Dr. Wilson.
    in South Lyon, MI |
    After losing my compassionate doctor of 9 years, I spent MONTHS seeking someone to HELP me work toward being pain free again but also HELP me to have a reasonable quality of life with a severe injury that causes serious pain. From Day 1, Doc Wilson was KIND and COMPASSIONATE, treating me like a human being with a struggle that he could assist me with and he treated me the way he would likely treat his own loved ones. His staff is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and kind as well; Melissa, Mary, Devon....
    Eaton Rapids, MI |
    4 weeks to be seen for an evaluation, and ensured 1 week prior an open claim letter was provided by my auto insurance for coverage; arrived for a 5:15 pm appointment. was told that because his pitiful staff hadn't confirmed primary responsibility with the auto insurance, and it was after hours to speak to a claims representative; I could not be seen per Dr. Wilson. I lost 2 hours of work after switching schedules with a co worker. When I asked to speak to the doctor, he refused. incompetence!
    in Casco,MI |
    Dr. Wilson has been treating my wife and I for over a year now. He and his staff are the best you can find. He offers a multitude of options for pain relief. Explaining each one in detail and giving you the patient time to consider what you feel is best for you. Always willing to listen and spend additional time if you need it. My wife and I feel very fortunate to have found Dr. Wilson !
    in Fraser, MI |
    I waited over a month for my appointment. On the day-of, I waited over two hours to be moved to an exam room, and another hour after that to see the doctor. The staff was very kind and courteous. Dr. Wilson and his PA were sweet, asked a lot of questions, allowed me to ask my own questions, and answered them thoroughly and, from what I could tell, honestly. We even joked around (I had the doc in stitches at one point). I'm apprehensive about my new treatment, but will be happy if it cures me.
    in Clinton Township, MI |
    I have treated with Dr Wilson for years. He genuinely cares. I know that he treats his patients responsibly and compassionately. I never been to a doctor who is so thorough and has so many options other than just pain pills. I have to wonder if the negative reviews came from people who didn't get what they wanted. He believes in treating pain , not just covering it up with pain pills, if you want to get better this is the doctor you're looking for
    in Eastpointe, MI |
    I was a patient of Dr Wilsons for 6 years and in severe pain (back and neck) Although he tried (and charged)me for many things not covered by insurance nothing worked aside from the pain meds...hello get me a MRI, something is wrong. Turns out I had herniated discs so bad in both neck and back that I had no other choice but to get fusions done. Do yourself a favor, go somewhere else
    sterling heights |
    It it was very nice he is a wonderful doctor has helped me a lot with my pain management.
    in Warren, MI |
    Dr. Wilson is a kind and considerate doctor. He works hard to make sure his patients are out of pain. I have been seeing Dr. Wilson for more than 15 years. I have had many experiences with him, a lot of them funny. He loves to joke, and laugh, and make me laugh. When he gives me shots, (trigger point shots, or nerve blocks), he is so experienced at it that it never even hurts. I have a lot of pain, but when he gives me the shots, it is a relief for awhile. I admire him greatly.
    Have you seen Dr. Stephen Wilson, MD?
    Are you Dr. Wilson?

Dr. Wilson's Care Philosophy

Dr. Wilson says...

Chronic and acute back pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia

EMG's, Nerve conduction studies, Injections, Medical Acupuncture

Dr. Wilson's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Pain Medicine
    •  Board certified in Pain Medicine and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
    •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Dr. Wilson has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Why It Matters: Dr. Wilson's Board Certifications

• Chronic Pain
    • Coccygeal Pain
    • Diabetic Polyneuropathy
    • Facet Joint Pain
    • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
    • Lumbar Disc Degeneration
    • Lumbar Herniated Disc
    • Lumbar Radiculopathy
    • Neck Pain
    • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
    • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
    • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist

Schwab Rehab

Completed in 1997

University of Detroit Mercy

Graduated in 1989

Dr. Wilson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wilson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Pain Medicine