Dr. Stephen Saris, MD

Dr. Stephen Saris, MD

Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Saris is the most senior, active neurosurgeon in Rhode Island. He began his training with a surgical internship in 1979 at the Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. The Beth Israel is a major teaching hospital of the Harvard Medical School. After exposure to the various surgical subspecialties, he decided to pursue a career in Neurosurgery. Dr. Saris completed his Neurosurgical residency at Duke Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina in 1985. He completed two fellowships prior to entering clinical practice. The first was at the Massachusetts General Hospital during which he studied under such internationally-known surgeons as Drs. Robert Ojemann, Peter Black, and Nicholas Zervas. His second was a four-year fellowship doing research at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Saris has written dozens of papers dealing with subjects ranging from spinal disorders to the diagnosis of pituitary tumors to novel treatments of malignant brain tumors. After this fellowship, he became an Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at the Tufts Medical Center in Boston that is the main teaching hospital of the Tufts University School of Medicine. Dr. Saris spent four years at NEMC during which time he was promoted from an Assistant to an Associate Professor. He continued his research interest in brain tumors with the creation of a research laboratory. In 1993, he joined the faculty at the Brown University School of Medicine. He took a position as an Associate Professor, and soon thereafter assumed the acting Directorship of the New England Gamma Knife Center. Dr. Saris was the Director of the Brain Tumor Program at Brown University for many years and was Co-Chair of the Neuro-Oncology Committee of the Brown University Oncology Group. He additionally was Brown's principal investigator for a National Institutes of Health study looking at spine metastases. He is currently the author of over 25 refereed, scientific articles, in addition to five textbook chapters, and numerous abstracts. For many years he was on the Neurosurgery Sub-committee of the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group and Neuro-Oncology Co-Chair of the Brown University Oncology Group. In 1999, Dr. Saris left academic medicine to create a private neurosurgical group of his own and to take the Chair Position in Neurosurgery at St. Joseph's Hospital in Providence. He has been voted by other physicians in the state as a Top Doc since 1996 by Rhode Island Magazine.

1 Davol Sq Ste 302

Providence, RI 02903

• Health Net
  • Tufts Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Saris

See how frequently Dr. Saris performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Herniated Disc
high
Intervertebral Disc Disease
Meningiomas

Dr. Saris's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Saris "To provide state of the art neurosurgical care."

• Neurosurgery

• Trigeminal Neuralgia

• Brain Surgery
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • CyberKnife®, Cranial (Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Cranial) incl. Gamma Knife and LINAC Photon Beam
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • Stereotactic Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Rhode Island.

• Boston University School Of Medicine
  • National Institutes Of Health
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989
  • National Institutes Of Health
    Other Education | Completed 1990

Dr. Saris has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Saris does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Saris and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Saris' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Saris to family and friends
Dr. Saris' Performance
in Riverside, RI |
Dr Saris and staff are amazing. Will recommend others
Johnston RI |
I had unbelvable facial pain. Dr. Saris did a gamma procedure on me, and I have no pain! Bev and Sheri at the hospital were great!!! Thanks. I would recommend him to anyone with my condition.
in East Providence, RI |
After searching the web, I located Dr. Saris and am so grateful. I would highly recommend. He has made me feel like a new person.
Rhode Island |
He talks good talk he said he be by my bedside or is PA would be if I was in pain when I came through my operation nobody was there. The nurse at the hospital had nothing for me for pain I walked in to the operating table and been in a wheelchair ever since with no hip no pelvic socket and a rod in my back, he said it was a simple procedure I'm in my early 50s and I'll never walk again I'll never enjoy anything I used to enjoy, I can't even be in a relationship no more and I'm in a lot more pain
Blackstone MA |
Dr. Saris was a calm, warm ,patient surgeon. He was thorough and explained everything in detail. He saved my life.
in Pawcatuck, CT |
I had Gamma Knife which saved me from having brain surgery.
in Bristol, RI |
Very happy with staff and Dr. Saris
in Warren, RI |
Thank you Dr. Saris. Your aswsome
in Portsmouth, RI |
Dr. Saris and his team were excellent. Left arm wasn't working at the time, without their surgery and care I wouldn't have returned to work so fast.
Providence |
Referred to see Dr. Saris by my primary care doctor. I was in a lot of pain and physical therapy and injections had not worked for me. Dr. Saris secretary explained that I would need to quit smoking in order for my surgery to be approved by my insurance company. I did and 8 weeks later my surgery was performed. I am back to work and am feeling great. The worst part was having to quit smoking.
in Woonsocket |
I had great pain in my back. But, after meeting Dr. Saris and he performed the surgery I feel great.
in East Providence, RI |
Very Trust worthy- Professional Responds to related questions, atmosphere - excellent
Westerly, RI |
Had surgery by Dr. Saris. Everything went very well. Already back to work. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Especially Kayla. I would highly recommend their office.
Stay as far away from this "medical center" as possible. Dr. Saris is nothing but an arrogant and overly dismissive doctor who clearly lacks the time, professional etiquette, and understanding to deal with his patients. My mother recently underwent surgery for a torn disc, he reassured us and clearly stated that "99.9 percent of his surgeries are successful" and within 2 WEEKS my mother would go back to her normal day to day routine. It's now 3 months later, my mother is still in pain, and after
in Milford, MA |
The outcome of my surgery was great. Felt better immediately. So thankful that Dr. Saris was my surgeon.
in Woonsocket, RI |
I welcome the opportunity to share my very positive and successful experience at lumbar Microdiscectomy with Dr Stephen C Saris. I had the good fortune of having my brother in law as my medical advocate, Dr F James Rybka a Board Cirtified Plastic Surgeon in California. He researched Dr Saris's credentials and successes and reassured me I was in the best of care. This information gave me peace of mind and I hope the same to anyone who has to face back surgery. Thank you Dr Saris and staff.
in Foster, RI |
This is the second time over a span of ten years that I have had a ruptured disc effect my siatic nerve. I was origianlly refered to Dr DSaris by my PCP. Couldn't walk in for the first proceedure but walked out pain free five hours later. On the second incident I ov course went back to Dr. Saris and received tha same outstanding results. A litter more pain ( a little older) then the first time but within a couple of days I was back to work. I just had to do things a little more slowly.
Woonsocket, RI |
Dr. Saris informed me of what my procedure would entail and that he was very confident that it would be successful. I no longer have any sciatica pain and my life has improved 100 times over.
in North Attleboro |
Very professional, accomplished what he said he would, no surprises.
in Middletown, RI |
I would find it without reservation to recommend Dr. Saris to anyone in need of his expertise. He is accessible for information and shares his plan for surgery with undeniable reports and visual aides.
in Harrisville, RI |
I found Dr. Saris personable; he explained the procedure prior to treating me. I never had to schedule an urgent appointment (fortunately) but scored that question below with a "Good" rating.
in Woonsocket, RI |
OMG. It was the best thing that I could have done was to wait to have my back surgery. Had back problems for many years and only recently discovered Dr. Saris through people I knew and others. So I did a google search on him and my choice was made. No more pain. I'm in a gym now to strenghten my lower back and legs. He's a PRO in what he does. He's the Man , hands down. He had my back and he really took care of it. Thank you Dr. Saris.
in Westerly, RI |
Excellent doctor ! I had a very good experience throughout the diagnosis, procedure and following up.
in Providence, RI |
It's been 12 months since surgery and have had no lower back nerve pain. Surgery was successful and I can now get on with a normal life thanks to Dr. Saris.
in Woonsocket, RI |
Dr Saris and Rodd Casper gave me my life back after being in a car accident. So grateful to him and his staff. Best doctors office to deal with ever. Thank you! For making me feel like me again!!
in Warren, RI |
The fact that I think that Dr. Saris and staff are second to none..explains it all.
in Bristol, RI |
My granddaughter was called AT WORK by the Physicians Assistant whom she had been seeing on a regular basis about fainting spells and back problems. She was told there was grey matter in her brain that appeared to be growing. We immediately went on the internet and chose Dr Saris because of the positive feedback he had been given. Dr Saris patiently went over the MRI with us in great detail and found "absolutely nothing wrong with her brain". CHOOSING HIM WAS THE BEST DECISION WE EVER MADE!
I recommend Dr. Saris and his office.
Excellent experience.
in North Providence, RI |
He was excellent at explaining everything in clear terms so I was aware of what was wrong, and how it was going to be fixed.
in Riverside R I |
Hi,Dr.Saris is the best,greatest,and most expierenced Dr I know.He also has a great personality.I had Gama knife done recently and just as the Dr. Said that he was the best of many years of Gama knife.He is.I recommend him to anyone who needs help.Call him you won,t be disappointed.??????????
in Fall River, MA |
Dr. Saris was a savior to me. I could barely walk and now I am looking forward to playing golf in the spring. He is a skilled, knowledgeable sugeron. I have recommended him to several people and will continue to do so. Truly, L. Roy
I am a patient of Dr.Saris and thankfully so!! I had a micro surgery less than 2 weeks ago and feeling stronger than ever! I was like the majority of the population, completely afraid of any type of back surgery but with my chronic pain was left with out a better option. After meeting Dr. Saris and his staff I was put at ease immediately. I am forever grateful for Dr. Saris giving me my life back! (no pun intended)
in Cranston, RI |
The minute I woke up from surgery the pain in my back was gone, the next day I walked in the hospital with a therapist and realized there was no numbness in my right leg.He will talk to you and answer any questions you have. He is sincere and cares of your well being, he explains everything to you before and after surgery.
in Harrisville, RI |
Dr Saris explained in detail about the gamma knife surgery and the outcome that he expected. Everything has gone well and on track just as he explained. I would highly recommend Dr Saris to anyone needing this type of surgery.
Narragansett |
No bedside manner whatsoever. Very rude.
in Pawtucket ri |
Dr Saris is amazing !! He made me feel so comfortable before during and after surgery. He really knows his stuff. I will actually miss him and his staff! Thank you for everything Dr Saris! Sincerely Tami Rodrigues
Have you seen Dr. Stephen Saris, MD?
Are you Dr. Saris?