Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 70

Neurosurgery

Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Flagstaff, AZ and has over 48 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Loma Linda University School Of Medicine in 1974. He is affiliated with Flagstaff Medical Center. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD

Northern Arizona Healthcare

107 E Oak Ave Ste 101 Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Arizona

Check Dr. Ritland's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Ritland's Top Procedures and Conditions

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Ritland treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 99% of his peers

Dr. Ritland treats this condition more than 99% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care
Low Back Pain

• Chiari Malformation Type 1
  • Chiari's Deformity
  • Dural Tear
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neurostimulation
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Dr. Ritland accepts

Dr. Ritland accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO

Dr. Ritland's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Ritland

4.5

5.128205128205129%

One of my guardian angels!
One of my guardian angels! I met Dr. Ritland in Flagstaff Medical Center emergency department on a cold winter evening a little over 25 years ago. He talked to me and explained what he was doing and what he was finding. He found out that I was Adjunct Faculty at Loma Linda University School of Public Health. And he told me he had been to medical school as well as completing his neurological specialty work at Loma Linda University. That was really comforting to me because as an RN I had worked for many years on the Cardiothoracic ICU which at the time was next to the Neurological ICU. I knew many of the doctors from that unit and had a very big respect for who they were and how they treated their patients. The fact that Dr. Ridlind had trained there put my mind at ease. While I was a Flagstaff he performed three spinal cord surgeries and treated with me with such respect and care. I would recommend him to anybody.
Lynna Belin – Jun 14, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Dr. Ritland was GREAT. I had back surgery on Aug. 25 , 2020, in Flagstaff , AZ. I am 80 years old and my surgery went great. I feel good and am able to live without pain . He is the best. Thank You Dr. Ritland
Elizabeth Arnow – Nov 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Dr Ritland is an amazing Dr. He performed a lumbar fusion on my back almost 3 weeks ago & I’ve been up & walking without pain meds or a walker since the surgery! I am beyond impressed & happy! His staff is wonderful too!
Virginia Vernon – Aug 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
could no walk prior to operation
Eugene J Young II – Jul 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Good surgeon, ZERO EMPATHY!! Well I wonder why my reviews are not posted, maybe a bad review?? Dr Ritland preformed a spinal fusion on myself. It took 2 surgeries to for the same symptom. After the first I was in major pain for 2 weeks. Ritland told me "you just had a major surgery, you should be in agony" He paid NO attention to my issues, in fact he downplayed the entire situation. I had to go to the hospital (unrelated) in the ER a Dr paid attention to my issues. A MRI was ordered, findings were an almost pinched spine from the surgery. Ritland was advised of the findings, THEN I was scheduled for surgery the next Day!! I am thankful for the Dr at FMC, if it wasn't for him I'd be paralyzed by now. This Dr has done successfull on family members, I know that he is a very competent surgeon. This man has NO bedside manner NOR any empathy for his patients! In hindsight really the only time that the Dr & his staff were really nice was when I "released" me after 3 months from 2nd surgery
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Chili – Mar 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Good Dr. NO EMPATHY!! I had a multi level fusion done by Ritland late 2019. After surgery things went bad, I informed the Dr that I was in agony and couldn't move. The reply was "you're supposed to be in pain, you just had major surgery." Very uncaring, does not care about pain, and makes the patient feel unworthy. I had to go to the hospital for another reason, after an MRI it was found to have pinched my spine at the surgery site. At this time my symptoms were believed and I had a second surgery. Thankfully the Dr at the hospital (FMC) had some empathy and ordered the MRI, otherwise I might have been paralyzed. Not a very good experience any way you look at it. I do know that Ritland is a good surgeon, as he has preformed surgery on a family member that was great!! I do wish I could say the same, the only difference was the family member was a young female and I'm just the opposite. This is the only the difference between the two people that had surgery. Good surgeon ZERO EMPATHY!!!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Didn't explain conditions well
ChaCha – Mar 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Dr Ritland does not beat around the bush with a diagnosis. He tells you what he can do and how it will help. He does not pressure you into having any procedure done. He explains it very well before he does anything and answers any questions you may have. Great bed side manner, very caring and wants to see the best for his patients.
Jun 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Our Mom, age 90, previously very active, had an onset of pain and weakness in both legs that prevented her from exercising. Last week, Dr. Stephen Ritland performed a Lumbar Foraminotomy on her back to relieve the pain and weakness caused by a pinched nerve. With only a small incision, he was able to go in and clean out the pinched nerve area—all without disrupting anything in her spine! His surgery was phenomenal for our Mom—nothing short of a MIRACLE. Our Mom was up walking the hallways of the hospital the next day—with no pain! Dr. Ritland gave our Mom the best Mother’s Day gift of all . . . her mobility back . . . PAIN FREE! For those who have experienced severe back and leg pain, you will understand that he essentially gave our Mom her life back. Our family will be forever grateful to Dr. Ritland for his amazing surgical skill, professional demeanor in talking with us, and the compassionate care he gave our Mom. We give him the HIGHEST recommendation possible.
May 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Dr Ritland is the BEST !!! My lumbar foraminotomy (to relieve my pinched nerve causing debilitating pain and weakness in my legs) was a success beyond my greatest hopes and expectations. I attribute 100% credit to Dr Ritland and his unmatched skill as a surgeon ... the day after surgery I was walking pain-free ... and I did not need any pain medication (not even ibuprofen) after discharge from the hospital. My entire surgery process with Dr Ritland and his staff ... from consultation, evaluation, counseling, surgery, and follow-up ... was professional, educational, and supportive. I am 90 YEARS YOUNG with a history of osteoporosis, spinal compression fractures, and now severe spinal stenosis. Dr Ritland's surgery gave me immediate relief and restored my quality of life ... but he has told me I have other issues with my back ... if I need additional surgeries, I will DEFINITELY return to Dr Ritland. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND him ... BEST decision of my life to seek his surgical skill.
May 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
dr. Ritland performed to spinal fusion surgery is on myself. After both surgeries my symptoms increasingly got worse. It has been my experience that Dr. Ritland did not acknowledge the increase in symptoms post surgery. I would not recommend Dr. Ritland
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Feb 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Excellent doctor. Very precise and to the point. He explained the complete procedure (surgery) and answered all my questions. I had two other consults (as per my pcp) and I was very happy with the way Dr. Ritland performed the surgery and the follow up. The hospital staff was very supportive when I mentioned Dr. Ritland was doing my surgery.
Randy Janzen in Prescott Valley, AZ – Jan 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
A wonderful neurosurgeon that respects his patients. Explained my procedure on a level I could understand.
Ron Tevere in Dewey – Dec 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Doctor Stephen Ritland has helped me with my lower back issues since 1991, all three of my surgeries have been done by Stephen. He made me a believer in believing in myself after each surgery. I received a lumbar fusion of the L4-L5 in 2005, the best move Stephen did for me. No serious issues since then, it is good to be walking. He is a pro and i have recommended my son to see him for an opinion on his lower back issues. Thank you Doctor Ritland.
Marty Hetrick in Eagar Az – Aug 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
Dr. Ritland is an outstanding neurosurgeon. He has helped me live a comfortable life even though I suffer from extreme spinal stenosis and degenerate disc disease. I have recommended him to several friends who have also benefited from his expertise. Not only is he an expert in his field, he is a friendly, compassionate man.
Carol Sundberg in Prescott, AZ – Jan 28, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?
My desectomy/fusion was without any issues. Dr. and office/hospital/associates were a well -coordinated team making the experience for me less painful than some dental procedures I have known. We're lucky to have Stephan Ritland's services available. I personally know 6 patients with the same opinions...
George T in Prescott, AZ – Jun 22, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Stephen Ritland, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Ritland?