Dr. Stephen Cox, MD

Dr. Stephen Cox, MD

Psychiatry  ·
Dr. Stephen Cox, MD is a psychiatry specialist in Lexington, KY and has been practicing for 40 years. He graduated from University Of Kentucky in 1975 and specializes in psychiatry and adult psychiatry.Read his story

3135 Custer Dr

Lexington, KY 40517

Learn about Dr. Cox

See how frequently Dr. Cox performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Dr. Cox's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Cox's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Cox "I may learn a lot about you, here's some information about me. I am from Kentucky. I was born in Owensboro, in 1950. I grew up on the farm. My father was a professional magician, then a salesman, then a small businessman, and gentleman farmer. My mother was a registered nurse. My mother's family was of Native Americans, Cherokee tribe. I always wanted to be a doctor. I attended Centre College and graduated from the University of Kentucky with a major in Nuclear Chemistry. I worked as a research technician for N.A.S.A. doing neutron activation analysis of the moon rocks brought back to Earth from the manned landing on the Moon. I attended medical school here in Lexington, receiving my medical degree in 1975. I decided to train in the specialty of Psychiatry. I was Chief Resident of Psychiatry at the University of Kentucky, College of Medicine. I then went on to finish my formal medical training with one year of Child Psychiatry Fellowship. I established my private practice here in Lexington. I have published several articles in medical journals of interesting case reports and original research. I am presently, or have been, a member of the AMA, the American Psychiatric Association, the Kentucky Medical Association, the Lexington Medical Society, the Southern Medical Association, and the American Academy of Clinical Psychiatry. I served as founder and first Service Director of the Adult Psychiatry Unit at Charter Ridge Hospital. I have served as the President of the medical staff of that hospital and as the Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry of both Good Samaritan Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital. I founded the Salpêtrière Journal Club. I am a board-certified psychiatrist, certified by the American Board of Neurology and Psychiatry. I have conducted FDA approval trials of new and experimental medications. I invented, patented and sold the license for a device to stop panic attacks without medicine. It is manufactured in Switzerland and sold in Europe, the United Kinvdom and Russia: www.bCalm.co ."

This content was provided by Dr. Cox "I am a licensed medical physician and a board-certified psychiatrist. I sub-specialize in treating persons who are bothered by anxiety, worry, and stress. I wish to help you to achieve the greatest success in treatment with the least inconvenience and expense. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you'll feel like your old self again real soon. If there's anything that I, or my staff, can do to help you, please bring it to our attention and we'll see what we can do."

• Psychiatry
  • Adult Psychiatry

• Psychiatry
    Accredited by: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology*

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Medication Management
  • Outpatient Psychiatry

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

• Centre College and University Of Kentucky
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1978
  • University Of Kentucky
    Medical School | Graduated 1975
  • University Of Kentucky College Of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1978
  • Univ Of Kentucky One Year Child Psychiatry Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1978

Dr. Cox has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Cox does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cox and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Cox's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cox to family and friends

Dr. Cox's Performance

Dr. Cox Says:
"

This review tool is so great. It is nice, of course, to be thanked or complimented (I hope!).

But reviews, besides pointing out good and bad doctors, also help persons who are ill and who may be losing hope to keep trying to get better, despite their waning hope. Here's how.

It is important when we write reviews to be sure and describe the very important DETAILS of HOW we were feeling so bad that we sought help

...

So glad I went! Before I began seeing Dr. Cox I had been to a number of other providers. For almost three years I was searching for a doctor that would listen to my symptoms. I have always struggled with procrastination, stress, and anxiety. I fell so far behind in my work that I didn’t even want...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Dr. Cox has, without a doubt, helped give me my life back. I have struggled since childhood with health anxiety and it peaked in 2016 when I first made an appt. He worked with me and we found the correct medicine (Sertraline) to help manage my anxiety. After having my son, my health anxiety was...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0
If you are suffering from anxiety/panic disorder, there is no one better to help you. I suffer from a panic disorder. I have seem Dr. Cox for many years. He has helped me live with the condition that I have with a fairly reasonable life. The best you will find anywhere!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option4thumbs down icon option0
Dr.Cox has been a godsend for me. After seeing numerous other doctors with no results I found him. He listens and truly cares. Always calls back if u need him. No wait time in office. Love Dr Cox.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0
Ive never met a more caring person ive hidden most of my life always waiting for the other shoe to drop,he has given me the courage to stop hiding in my room,now associating with the people i live with my daughter fiancee grandaughter my fear was overwhelming felt like an elephant was standing on...more