Dr. Stephen M. Cox, MD

Dr. Stephen M. Cox, MD

Biological Psychiatry | Male | 66 years old

I am a licensed medical physician and a board-certified psychiatrist. I sub-specialize in treating persons who are bothered by anxiety, worry, and stress. I wish to help you to achieve the greatest success in treatment with the least inconvenience and expense. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you'll feel like your old self again real soon. If there's anything that I, or my staff, can do to help you, please bring it to our attention and we'll see what we can do.Read more

Personal Bio

I may learn a lot about you, here's some information about me. I am from Kentucky. I was born in...Read more

Dr. Cox's Experience

See how Dr. Cox's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cox to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Cox
Dr. Cox's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (37)
Dr. Cox Says:

This review tool is so great. It is nice, of course, to be thanked or complimented (I hope!).

But reviews, besides pointing out good and bad doctors, also help persons who are ill and who may be losing hope to keep trying to get better, despite their waning hope. Here's how.

in Cincinnati, OH |
He got rid of patients but continues taking new patients???
in Batabia,OH |
I wish he worked out of Cincinnati,i would go to him,i agree totally with the arrival he wrote on panic disorder. KY is lucky. To have him
in Lexington Ky |
Dr. Cox is the best and helpful Dr I've been to, he knows exactly what your condition is and what the proper way to give you the right treatment
in Ashland, KY |
Dr Cox is the best doctor I have ever been to. He is very easy to talk to and a great listener. No waiting, I have been seeing him around 15 years and have never had more than one other patient in his office. I would recommend highly!
in Lexington, KY |
Dr. Cox is THE most compassionate, knowledgeable and congenial doctor I have ever met! If you are a patient, you can be assured you will be treated with respect and dignity. The general medical community should take lessons from Dr. Cox in bedside manner and patient care. He is one of the GOOD guys!
in Pikeville, KY |
Within minutes of talking with him I felt at ease, He reassured me he would help me with all the troubles and problems I have been through and faced,,,,I suffer from extreme panic disorders and very bad anxiety,,,He takes time to listen to everything you have to say..BY FAR, the best Dr. I have ever talked to or ever been to. As I was leaving his office i told him I wouldn't know how to act without worry or have an attack,,he said lets put 2015 behind us and make it happen, Thank you Dr. Cox
Have you seen Dr. Stephen M. Cox, MD?
Are you Dr. Cox?

Compare Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox says...

I may learn a lot about you, here's some information about me.

I am from Kentucky. I was born in Owensboro, in 1950. I grew up on the farm. My father was a professional magician, then a salesman, then a small businessman, and gentleman farmer. My mother was a registered nurse. My mother's family was of Native Americans, Cherokee tribe.

I always wanted to be a doctor. I attended Centre College and graduated from the University of Kentucky with a major in Nuclear Chemistry. I worked as a research technician for N.A.S.A. doing neutron activation analysis of the moon rocks brought back to Earth from the manned landing on the Moon. I attended medical school here in Lexington, receiving my medical degree in 1975. I decided to train in the specialty of Psychiatry. I was Chief Resident of Psychiatry at the University of Kentucky, College of Medicine. I then went on to finish my formal medical training with one year of Child Psychiatry Fellowship. I established my private practice here in Lexington in 1978.

I have published several articles in medical journals of interesting case reports and original research. I am presently, or have been, a member of the AMA, the American Psychiatric Association, the Kentucky Medical Association, the Lexington Medical Society, the Southern Medical Association, and the American Academy of Clinical Psychiatry. I served as founder and first Service Director of the Adult Psychiatry Unit at Charter Ridge Hospital. I have served as the President of the medical staff of that hospital and as the Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry of both Good Samaritan Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital. I founded the Salpêtrière Journal Club. I am a board-certified psychiatrist, certified by the American Board of Neurology and Psychiatry. I have conducted FDA approval trials of new and experimental medications. I invented, patented and sold the license for a device to stop panic attacks without medicine. It is manufactured in Switzerland and sold in Europe: bCalm.co

Dr. Cox's Care Philosophy

Dr. Stephen Michael Cox

Welcome to My Office

I am a licensed medical physician and a board-certified psychiatrist.  I sub-specialize in treating persons who are bothered by anxiety, worry, and stress.

This information will help you to achieve the greatest success in treatment with the least inconvenience and expense.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you'll feel like your old self again real soon. If there's anything that I, or my staff, can do to help you, please bring it to our attention and we'll see what we can do. Thanks for coming to see me.

What I Do

I offer personalized psychiatric services to men and women 21 years of age and older.  I am committed to listening to you, treating you as an individual and answering your questions.  I sincerely want your visits to be comfortable and pleasant.

I am particularly proficient at treating virtually any kind of anxiety problem, from excessive worry to full-blown panic attack disorder.

Dr. Cox says...

Back in the 1980's I began to sub-specialize in Anxiety Disorders. I found my medical knowledge and mild manner to be well-suited to helping persons with these problems. I made an effort to learn everything available about anxiety. I founded a national, non-profit medical health education organization, the National Anxiety Foundation. Their website receives 20,000 hits per month.

I was on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Clinical Psychiatry. I have been on the Editorial Board of the medical Journal, The Annals of Clinical Psychiatry. I invented and patented a device to help sufferers of panic attacks. It is marketed in Europe by www.bCalm.co

I developed a DNA test to guide pharmacologic extinction, The Sinclair Method of alcohol use disorder (which has a 78% 1 year success rate).

In 2015 I was reviewed to be the number one psychiatrist in Kentucky by Health Grades. In 2016 I was honored to be the number one of "The Three Best Psychiatrists" in Lexington KY.

Dr. Cox says...

It is important when we write reviews to be sure and describe the very important DETAILS of HOW we were feeling so bad that we sought help from a doctor in the first place. Do not just put down a diagnosis word.

A person reading such a review may recognize themselves, in the reviewers' symptoms, from the description written in the review.

Then they may say to themselves, "Hey. They have exactly what I have. They got better. I can too! I am going to keep trying to overcome this problem."

Sometime when we fail to respond to treatment we get so disheartened. In psychiatry, as long as the neither the patient nor the doctor gives up, people tend to get better.

"Failure is success in progress." Albert Einstein

How true.

Stephen Cox MD

Dr. Cox's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Biological Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Psychiatry
  •  Malpractice claims in Kentucky not available

Dr. Cox has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

Why It Matters: Dr. Cox's Board Certifications

• Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Attack

Completed in 1978

Centre College and University Of Kentucky

Graduated in 1978

• French

Dr. Cox does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cox and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Biological Psychiatry

• ADHD Testing
  • Behavior Modification
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Medication Management

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.