Psychiatry  |
Dr. Stephen Cox, MD
I may learn a lot about you, here's some information about me. I am from Kentucky. I was born in Owensboro, in 1950. I grew up on the farm. My father was a professional magician, then a salesman, then a small businessman, and gentleman farmer. My mother was a registered nurse. My mother's family was of Native Americans, Cherokee tribe. I always wanted to be a doctor. I attended Centre College and graduated from the University of Kentucky with a major in Nuclear Chemistry. I worked as a research technician for N.A.S.A. doing neutron activation analysis of the moon rocks brought back to Earth from the manned landing on the Moon. I attended medical school here in Lexington, receiving my medical degree in 1975. I decided to train in the specialty of Psychiatry. I was Chief Resident of Psychiatry at the University of Kentucky, College of Medicine. I then went on to finish my formal medical training with one year of Child Psychiatry Fellowship. I established my private practice here in Lexington. I have published several articles in medical journals of interesting case reports and original research. I am presently, or have been, a member of the AMA, the American Psychiatric Association, the Kentucky Medical Association, the Lexington Medical Society, the Southern Medical Association, and the American Academy of Clinical Psychiatry. I served as founder and first Service Director of the Adult Psychiatry Unit at Charter Ridge Hospital. I have served as the President of the medical staff of that hospital and as the Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry of both Good Samaritan Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital. I founded the Salpêtrière Journal Club. I am a board-certified psychiatrist, certified by the American Board of Neurology and Psychiatry. I have conducted FDA approval trials of new and experimental medications. I invented, patented and sold the license for a device to stop panic attacks without medicine. It is manufactured in Switzerland and sold in Europe, the United Kinvdom and Russia: www.bCalm.co .

Stephen M Cox MD

3135 Custer Dr

Lexington, KY 40517

Learn about Dr. Cox

I am a licensed medical physician and a board-certified psychiatrist. I sub-specialize in treating persons who are bothered by anxiety, worry, and stress. I wish to help you to achieve the greatest success in treatment with the least inconvenience and expense. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you'll feel like your old self again real soon. If there's anything that I, or my staff, can do to help you, please bring it to our attention and we'll see what we can do.

Dr. Cox's Experience

Dr. Cox's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Psychiatry
  • Board certified in Psychiatry

• Psychiatry
  • Adult Psychiatry

• Psychiatry
    Accredited by: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology*

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Attack
  • Panic Disorder

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Medication Management
  • Outpatient Psychiatry

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

• Centre College and University Of Kentucky
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1978
  • University of Kentucky
    Medical School | Graduated 1975
  • University of Kentucky College of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1978
  • Univ Of Kentucky One Year Child Psychiatry Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1978

Dr. Cox has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Cox does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cox and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Cox's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cox to family and friends
Dr. Cox Says:

This review tool is so great. It is nice, of course, to be thanked or complimented (I hope!).

But reviews, besides pointing out good and bad doctors, also help persons who are ill and who may be losing hope to keep trying to get better, despite their waning hope. Here's how.

It is important when we write reviews to be sure and describe the very important DETAILS of HOW we...

Dr. Cox's Performance
in Lexington, KY |
Dr. Cox has, without a doubt, helped give me my life back. I have struggled since childhood with health anxiety and it peaked in 2016 when I first made an appt. He worked with me and we found the correct medicine (Sertraline) to help manage my anxiety. After having my son, my health anxiety was once again spiraling out of control and Dr. Cox (once again) helped put a plan in place. I resumed medication and am doing better than ever. I not only recommend but URGE those struggling to make an appt.
in Richmond, KY |
If you are suffering from anxiety/panic disorder, there is no one better to help you. I suffer from a panic disorder. I have seem Dr. Cox for many years. He has helped me live with the condition that I have with a fairly reasonable life. The best you will find anywhere!
in Dorton,Ky |
Dr.Cox has been a godsend for me. After seeing numerous other doctors with no results I found him. He listens and truly cares. Always calls back if u need him. No wait time in office. Love Dr Cox.
in Georgetown, KY |
Ive never met a more caring person ive hidden most of my life always waiting for the other shoe to drop,he has given me the courage to stop hiding in my room,now associating with the people i live with my daughter fiancee grandaughter my fear was overwhelming felt like an elephant was standing on my chest the guilt from not being able to associate with my family,feeling like i was having a heart attack went to the hospital so many times they would make fun of me the staff,he has changed my life
in Cincinnati, OH |
He got rid of patients but continues taking new patients???
I apologize. I am soon to be 67 years old. I am asking some difficult and, to me, stressful patients to find care elsewhere. I do accept some screened new patients who are easier for an older doctor to treat or who have a problem that I have very special skills and knowledge to treat.
in Batabia,OH |
I wish he worked out of Cincinnati,i would go to him,i agree totally with the arrival he wrote on panic disorder. KY is lucky. To have him
in Lexington Ky |
Dr. Cox is the best and helpful Dr I've been to, he knows exactly what your condition is and what the proper way to give you the right treatment
in Ashland, KY |
Dr Cox is the best doctor I have ever been to. He is very easy to talk to and a great listener. No waiting, I have been seeing him around 15 years and have never had more than one other patient in his office. I would recommend highly!
in Lexington, KY |
Dr. Cox is THE most compassionate, knowledgeable and congenial doctor I have ever met! If you are a patient, you can be assured you will be treated with respect and dignity. The general medical community should take lessons from Dr. Cox in bedside manner and patient care. He is one of the GOOD guys!
in Pikeville, KY |
Within minutes of talking with him I felt at ease, He reassured me he would help me with all the troubles and problems I have been through and faced,,,,I suffer from extreme panic disorders and very bad anxiety,,,He takes time to listen to everything you have to say..BY FAR, the best Dr. I have ever talked to or ever been to. As I was leaving his office i told him I wouldn't know how to act without worry or have an attack,,he said lets put 2015 behind us and make it happen, Thank you Dr. Cox
Have you seen Dr. Stephen Cox, MD?

Visit Dr. Cox