Dr. Stanley Michael, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. Stanley Michael, MD
Training and ExperienceExperience I am an Orthopaedic surgeon with over 30 years of experience in the clinical and surgical practice of Joint Reconstruction and Replacement and in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. I obtained Fellowship training, for one year each, in the following subspecialties:• Joint Replacement and Reconstruction of the hip, knee and shoulder.• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery, with focus on the shoulder and knee. Hospitals My current practice location is The Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine in Barnegat, NJ, where I have office hours three days a week. I have unrestricted medical privileges at the Southern Ocean Medical Center, Manahawkin, NJ, where I perform surgery, treat in- patients and take emergency call. PositionsCurrent: I hold the position of Medical Director of the Joint Replacement Program at Southern Ocean Medical Center.I am also a member of the Hackensack Meridian Health System's Physicians Advisory Committee for the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement ( CJR) Program. Past: I held the position of Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at The Temple University School of Medicine from September 1, 1996 through June 30, 2014. During this time I was Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon at Temple University Hospital and associated hospitals in Philadelphia, PA. I actively practiced and acquired extensive clinical and operative experience in all types of major joint replacements and joint reconstructions, including primary, complex primary and revision replacement arthroplasty of the hip, knee, and shoulder; the complete range of sports medicine, arthroscopic surgery and ligament reconstructions of the knee, shoulder and foot and ankle; and operative and non-operative management of trauma of the extremities, pelvis and acetabulum at Temple University Hospital, which is a busy Level 1 Trauma Center. Surgery I currently perform most primary hip replacements through an anterior supine inter-muscular (ASI) surgical approach. This is a muscle sparing approach with benefits to the patient which are described on the 'Hip' page of this website. Academic I have been closely involved with the teaching and training of orthopaedic residents and medical students at Temple University Hospital and other Temple- affiliated Hospitals, during my tenure at those institutions. Awards I was awarded the Teacher of the Year Award, by the Residents of the Temple University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, for the years 1998, 2002 & 2004. Academic Awards and Prizes First Prize in the Master of Surgery (MS) in General Surgery Board Examination,– University of Madras, India in 1983.Second Prize for Academic Excellence in 1996, awarded by the Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society For Sports Medicine, Philadelphia, PA. Residency and fellowship training Prior to joining Temple I trained in General Surgery and then in Orthopaedic Surgery in the United Kingdom, from 1983 to 1994. I obtained United Kingdom Orthopaedic Board Certification in 1994, through the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. I then came to the US to continue my training and completed one-year Fellowship training in Joint Reconstruction and Replacement from 1994 to 1995, in Seattle, WA. I did a second one-year Fellowship in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery at Temple University Hospital, from 1995 to 1996. Degrees M.B.,B.S., 1978— University of Madras, India.Master of Surgery (MS), General Surgery, 1983— University of Madras, India 1983FRCS Ed., General Surgery, 1984— Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK.FRCS Eng., General Surgery, 1985— Royal College of surgeons of England, UK.FRCS Ed., Orthopedic Surgery, 1990— Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK.Board Certification in Orthopaedic Surgery, UK 1994— The Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland and The Joint Commission for Higher Surgical Training of UK.

Dr. Michael's Care Philosophy

My Practice Philosophy: I treat every patient with courtesy, kindness and compassion. I personally see and examine each patient during every outpatient visit. I discuss the diagnosis and treatment options and do my best to guide patients in choosing the treatments best suited to their individual needs and preferences. My patients leave their outpatient appointments feeling well-informed and involved in the decision- making process regarding their treatment. I attempt to treat all my patients by non-surgical methods initially, and only recommend surgery when this becomes the best option. Whenever surgery does become necessary, I always do my best to operate with great care and thoroughness. I constantly update my skills and keep abreast of current advances in Orthopaedics by extensive reading, online learning and by attending courses.

Dr. Michael's Experience

See how Dr. Michael's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Michael

Dr. Michael accepts 15 insurance carriers

Dr. Michael is now accepting new patients
Institute of Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine249 S Main St Ste 5
Barnegat, NJ 08005
(609) 242-6999Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Michael has admitting privileges.

Dr. Michael's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Michael to family and friends
based on 9 total reviews
Dr. Michael's Performance
Have you seen Dr. Stanley Michael, MD?
Are you Dr. Michael?

Compare Dr. Michael

Training and ExperienceExperience

Hospitals

PositionsCurrent:

I hold the position of Medical Director of the Joint Replacement Program at Southern Ocean Medical Center.I am also a member of the Hackensack  Meridian Health System's  Physicians Advisory Committee for the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement ( CJR) Program.

Past:

I held the position of Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at The Temple University School of Medicine   from September 1, 1996 through June 30, 2014. During this time I was Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon at Temple University Hospital and associated hospitals in Philadelphia, PA. I actively practiced and acquired extensive clinical and operative experience in all types of major joint replacements and joint reconstructions, including primary, complex primary and revision replacement arthroplasty of the hip, knee, and shoulder; the complete range of sports medicine, arthroscopic surgery and ligament reconstructions of the knee, shoulder and foot and ankle; and operative and non-operative management of trauma of the extremities, pelvis and acetabulum at Temple University Hospital, which is a busy Level 1 Trauma Center.

Surgery

I currently perform most primary hip replacements through an anterior supine inter-muscular (ASI)  surgical approach.  This is a muscle sparing approach with benefits to the patient which are described on the 'Hip' page of this website.

Academic

I have been closely involved with the teaching and training of orthopaedic residents and  medical students at Temple University Hospital and other Temple- affiliated Hospitals, during my tenure at those institutions.

Academic Awards and Prizes

Residency and fellowship training

Degrees

Dr. Michael's Care Philosophy

My Practice Philosophy:

I treat every patient with courtesy, kindness and compassion.  I personally see and examine each patient during every outpatient visit. I discuss the diagnosis and treatment options and do my best to guide patients in choosing the treatments best suited to their individual needs and preferences. My patients leave their outpatient appointments feeling well-informed and involved in the decision- making process regarding their treatment.

I constantly update my skills and keep abreast of current advances in Orthopaedics by extensive reading, online learning and by attending courses.

Dr. Michael says...

Stanley P. Michael, MD, MS, FRCS, FRCS Ed. (Orth).

I provide exemplary orthopaedic care for each and every one of my patients. I use the extensive experience and skills that I have acquired from over  30 years of practice, in both teaching hospitals and private practice settings,  to diagnose and treat orthopaedic ailments and help patients return to their usual way of life as quickly as possible.

Orthopaedic Subspecialty Care Offered:

The areas of my special interest and expertise in the field of orthopaedic surgery are :

Joint Replacement and Joint Reconstruction Surgery of:

• Hips
  • Knees
  • Shoulders

Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery of:

• shoulders
  • knees.

Dr. Michael says...

I completed fellowship (post residency) training for, one year each, in the following orthopaedic subspecialities:

1. Joint Replacement and Reconstruction of the hip, knee and shoulder.
  2. Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic ( minimally invasive ) Surgery.

Dr. Michael's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Achilles Tendinitis
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu Dr Mgr Medical University

Graduated in 1978

Christian Medical College Hospital (Vellore, India)

Completed in 1978

Christian Medical College Hospital (Vellore, India)

Completed in 1983

Coventry & Warks Hospital (Coventry, U.K.)

Completed in 1987

Royal Surrey County Hospital (Vellore, India)

Completed in 1983

The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital (Birmingham, U.K.)

Completed in 1984

Providence Medical Center Of Seattle

Completed in 1995

Temple University Hospital

Completed in 1996

Dr. Michael does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Michael and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• All Shoulder or Elbow Replacement Procedures