Dr. Spencer Stanbury, MD

Gilbert, AZ 85234

• EmblemHealth
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. Stanbury

I always loved science, but I also wanted to be able to interact with people; medicine is the perfect combination of the two. Many careers in science are spent in a lab supplying little interaction with others. I really enjoy getting to know my patients, sharing laughs with them, and watching them improve. Orthopedics, in particular, offered the chance to make a real improvement in the lives of my patients. Pain and suffering are terrible things, and often in orthopedics we really get to be a part of alleviating these grievances for our patients. Hand and upper extremity surgery was fascinating to me because of the complex anatomy and the importance of our hands in everyday life. My approach to hand and upper extremity surgery has a conservative slant. A lot of times we can generate complete relief of common conditions with splints, occupational therapy, or injections. Only after patients have demonstrated failure to improve with less invasive techniques do we discuss surgery. During my training in Boston, I learned many modern and less invasive surgical techniques. For many patients, these procedures can be done under local or regional anesthesia without the risk of general anesthesia. In some surgeries, blood thinners can even be continued. During my training at Boston Children's Hospital, I learned the care of the pediatric upper extremity from some of the world's foremost experts. I am very delighted to be able to bring this training to serve the needs of our youngest Phoenicians.

Dr. Stanbury's Experience

Dr. Stanbury's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Broken Arm
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist

• Hand or Wrist Tendon Transfer
  • Neuroplasty
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Wrist Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• University of Oklahoma / Health Sciences Center
    Medical School | Graduated 2008
  • University Of Rochester Medical Center
  • Harvard Medical School
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Stanbury has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Stanbury does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Stanbury and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Stanbury's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Stanbury to family and friends
Dr. Stanbury's Performance
in Gilbert, AZ |
I saw Dr. Stanbury several times in the treatment of two tendon issues I had in a finger and my wrist. He & his team were friendly and caring. They listened carefully to me & did not seem rushed. I especially liked Dr. Stanbury's conservative treatment before rushing into surgery although I ultimately did need surgery to correct the issue. The pre & post-surgical care I received was exceptional - questions were answered and I knew what to expect.
Chandler, AZ |
Great clinic, great staff and Dr. Stanbury is a great doctor. I am very pleased with the results of my trigger finger release on both hands.
Very dismissive and literally said that carpal tunnel diagnosis wouldn't lead to a 6 week vacation. As if anyone in pain is after a vacation from their job. I went to see a different ortho and was diagnosed and treated and was not dismissed with rude comments.
in Queen Creek, AZ |
I just had my second hand surgery by Dr. Spencer Stanbury. The first was an accident, the second was planned. I was so pleased with the first surgery and Dr.'s aftercare, that I decided to get two trigger fingers on the right hand taken care of. I had been having cortisone shots for over 10 years. No doctor told me that they could be fixed with very minimal down time until I met Dr. Stanbury. I highly recommend Dr. if you have any hand issues. He has a fun personality.
in Payson, AZ |
I found Dr. Stanbury to a most knowledgeable doctor, up on all the most current procedures that could benefit the patient. I saw Dr. Stanbury for problems related to Dupuytren's Contracture in both hands. Six principal visits later and I have totally functional hands, and with NO SURGERY. No more pain, discomfort or nuisance. He is one of the most straight forward, informative and friendly medical communicators I have run across. Excellent Doctor.
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr Stanbury has a very good bed side manner, leaving you feeling that he cares for you as a person. He is very specialized in what he does.
in Maricopa, AZ |
I had severe carpal tunnel syndrome. I was unable to do anything without my hands getting numb and I would get bolts of electricity in my hands and elbows. Dr. Stanbury operated on both my hands and both my elbows. I felt the difference right away. No numbness and no electricity. I'm typing this and my hands are not numb and tingly. I would recommend Dr. Stanbury to anyone that has severe hand problems, his work is awesome. His staff is also very attentive and caring. Thanks Dr. Stanbury & staff
in Phoenix, AZ |
I have had two elbow/palm of hand surgeries conducted by Dr. Stanbury. Both turned out much better than I ever expected! Dr. Stanbury is exceptionally friendly, explains everything in great detail and really seems to care about me. As far as his staff is concerned....again, five stars! His assistant, Jessica, is on top of everything going on with Dr. Stanbury's patients. She is prompt to return calls and always has an upbeat, "can-do" attitude.
in MESA, AZ |
Dr Stanbury is very through in his examination and explanation of both existing problems and potential problems. Unlike other docs he spends time and explains the treatment program. Appts are on time you are given a back room number is there is a problem. Highly recommended.
in Queen Creek, AZ |
Dr Stanbury is highly recommended! I sought him out as a second opinion for thumb arthroplasty. I not only chose Dr Stanbury because of his expertise, but because of his amazing outcomes. I had surgery on my right hand done a year ago, and my left hand just a few months ago. I am extremely happy with the results!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr.Strasburg is a great surgeon. Had corporal tunnel plus fixed problems from a previous surgery for arthritis. Very hands on personality, explained surgery to me and showed my husband drags of before and after surgery. Was very thorough. Great bedside manner. Would recommend to anyone needing hand surgery.
in Chandler, AZ |
Dr. Stanbury was the third Orthopedic Doctor we saw in the treatment of my 11 year old daughter's fractured left radius. She experienced a Galeazzi fracture in April of 2015 (gymnastics). In April 2016, we went out of our insurance network to have Dr. Standbury perform surgery to align her radius with a plate so that she cold regain wrist mobility. We trusted him, my daughter trusted him and that was important after all she had been through prior. We are very grateful for his care.
in Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Spencer Stanbury is the real deal. He took on a task that scared other hand specialists off and simply put, gave me back my hand. A hand that had two non-functional fingers and two more fingers fading fast, that he repaired COMPLETELY. He and his staff did what they said they would and did it on time....every time. read the scores to see how I would grade him...and his staff...all of them.
Chandler, AZ |
I am a rehabilitative massage therapist, so having surgery on my hand was a frightening thought. Dr. Stanbury and his staff were very professional and caring. I was very comfortable during the consultation, surgery, and follow up care. I am happy to report that I was back to work with no issues from the procedure very quickly!
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr Stanbury is very friendly, personable, a perfectionist in his work
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Stanbury was awesome in repairing a broken scaphoid. I was extremely nervous about the bone dying and his skill during surgery made all the difference. He is the best!
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr. Stanbury and the physical therapy staff are top notch! I had wrist surgery in November of 2015 and because of diligent PT and a brilliant surgeon, I'm at full capacity now 6 months later. I can now get back to playing softball and golf, and I have Dr. Stanbury and staff to thank!
in Tempe, AZ |
I had severe case of carpal tunnel in the right hand and mild in the left. I was operated on Nov 2015 on the right hand and by March I had fully recovered from the procedure (feeling back in fingers). In May of 2016 I had the left hand done and within a week I had the feeling back in my fingers. Now waiting on the incision to heal. Dr Stanbury has a wonderful manner with the patient in answering questions and listening to concerns. I have recommended him to many friends.
in Chandler, AZ |
Dr Stanbury and his staff were always professional but friendly in their dealings with me. Dr Stanbury always provided the information that would be helpful in my healing. I never left his office with unanswered questions. I would highly recommend him and his staff.
in Mesa, AZ |
I had Carpal Tunnel in both Hands, plus the Ulna nerve pinch in Left Elbow causing extra problems with Left hand. He did surgery to fixed all of it, and very successful. Cannot see scars, very clean. Bedside manners are awesome. He also explained in great detail what was going on. I will recommend Dr. Stanbury to anybody who has hand problems. Great success and Awesome Doc. Thanks
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Stanbury was all around great from start to finish. He is very personable, friendly and most important amazing at what he does. He took care of my carpal tunnel release on both hands and it went very smoothly. His staff was great and the offices were nice and fast at getting you in to be seen. I would definitely recommend him to anyone needing a carpal tunnel release.
in Chandler, AZ |
Everyone from Dr Stanbury to Jessica and the PT staff were fantastic. I have recommend Dr Stanbury and his staff to other friends with hand or wrist issues. He was up front on both of my procedures and I had a much better recovery than I thought I might. His knowledge and surgical ability and my recovery time exceeded my expectations.
Herriman, UT |
I was so worried when I broke my right wrist in 3 places and I was extremely nervous about surgery. I saw another physician and I felt sick in my gut about it. Everyone I asked recommended this office and I received a referral from a friend for Dr. Stanbury. I was not disappointed in the least; in fact, he is the best doctor I have ever worked with. His knowledge and bedside manner far exceeded any doctor I have ever worked with. Thank you for doing such an amazing job on my hand Dr. Stanbury.
in Mesa, AZ |
Fantastic experience. Can't say enough about Dr. Stanbury and his staff. I have had two wrist surgeries (right and left) with him and I am completely back to normal from a very painful situation before surgery. Calming demeanor, very informative and ensures you understand what is going to happen before the procedure begins. Top notch Doctor that I highly recommend
in Apache Junction, AZ |
Dr. Stanbury cares about his patient and explains what he is going to do so they can understand.I would and have recommended a friend to see him.
in Sun Lakes, AZ |
Always takes time to explain what he is going to do. Good bedside manner.
in Phoenix, AZ |
He was a warm friendly Doctor. Makes you feel comfortable in any appointment and I had a good experience with my carpal tunnel surgery and results were great! Very happy with my choice of Dr. Stanbury.
in Chandler, AZ |
Dr. Stanbury is an outstanding physician in all respects. Thorough, personable, collaborative, prompt in appointments, flexible in scheduling surgery and accommodating appointment changes...and most important he has excellent surgery skills based on my surgery outcome and minimal scarring. I was pleasantly surprised to get a personal phone call the evening after surgery to make sure things I was progressing as planned.
in Chandler Az |
He did a superb job on correcting the carpal tunnel problems in both hands. I'm now pain free and have full use of the hands without any problems. A great surgeon and a really nice person. He even made my Christmas Card list!
Have you seen Dr. Spencer Stanbury, MD?
Are you Dr. Stanbury?

Gilbert, AZ 85297
Phoenix Children's Hospital
1919 E Thomas Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Stanbury at OrthoArizona - Mezona Division

Dr. Matthew Hansen, MD