Dr. Shelby Carter, MD

Dr. Shelby Carter, MD

Orthopedic Surgery •  Male • Age 66

Telehealth services available

Dr. Shelby Carter, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Austin, TX. Dr. Carter has more experience with Hip/Pelvic Bones and Knee/Lower Limbs than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with St. David's Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Carter to book an appointment.

St. David's Center for Hip & Knee Replacement

New Patient?
St. David's Center for Hip and Knee Replacement3000 N Interstate 35 Ste 500 Austin, TX 78705
    • Sat: closed

• Recent Reviews Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at St. David's Center for Hip & Knee Replacement

Dr. Carter's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Carter

1.2820512820512822%

Dr. Carter?
I appreciate Doctor Carter and his team. He did my knee and hip and I tell everyone if they want a good surgeon I and my wife recommend him.
William Krause – Jul 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
As always everything about my visit was professional, considerate and friendly. No new appointment was scheduled at this time.
Jul 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Dr Carter, his surgical team and his staff were fantastic. The hip surgery was successful and the recovery has been great and rapid. it has been exactly as he outlined prior to the surgery. Very little pain after surgery and the little that was there, dissipated after a few days. I highly recommend Dr Carter and his team!
MDS – Jul 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Very little wait time. X-ray done quickly. Everyone personable and very helpful. Currently working on setting up surgery. Couldn’t be more pleased.
Jul 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Excellent... will not go anywhere else. Dr. Carter is truly a great physician.
absolutely nothing – Jul 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
First time visit went very well. I have a left knee problem. First xrays were taken. The Tech was pleasant but all business, clear in her directions and answered my questions. I was very comfortable with Dr. Carter. He described my problem and the treatment options very well. He let me decide which option to investigate.
Jul 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Extremely pleased with Dr. Carter and his team.
Mona – Jul 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Five days after my partial knee replacement, I was walking with no assistive devices. My pain level was never above 2 at any point in my recovery. In the two months since my surgery, I've already recommended, enthusiastically, Dr. Carter to friends and others with chronic knee problems.
Frank Kavanaugh – Jun 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
I could not be any happier than to find Dr. Carter and be his patient. He and his staff have made me feel welcome. I feel very secure in knowing that they will take care of me thorough out my knee replacement surgery. Thank you so much.
Jun 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
His office personnel are dedicated to helping the patient. They have been so wonderful in working me in and working with me each time I come in. They are very professional. Dr. Carter is tuned into his patient. When he is in with me, i do not feel like he is rushed, but that he is there to help me. He is very honest in looking at my diagnostics and evaluation my knee and then telling me what he thinks is the best treatment option at the time. He shows me the x-rays and explains why he feels that way. They are prompt in the office and I have never had to wait for long periods of time.
Carol Arlene Dettmann – Jun 23, 2020
Great Doctors and Practice
Mike Halloran – Jun 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Carter and his expertise in hip replacements. My surgery went exceptionally well, the dressing by the incision is perfect, the incision itself is a work of art, I have hardly any pain, and it’s only been 3 days. I’m looking forward to a very speedy recovery and have already recommended Dr. Carter to friends and family member having issues with their knees or hips. While Dr. Carter is not particularly talkative, he is a perfectionist and looks after all the minute details of each patient’s case. He truly is a master of his craft.
Werner Klampfl – Jun 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
It seems folks are always adamant that their particular surgeon is the best. Not having any comparisons, I understand. However, there is evidence that Dr. Carter wrote the book on total knee replacements. His reputation is outstanding. People come from all over the country for his help. He is very astute, great to work with, and no-nonsense person who cares and wants to help his patients live a better life. I have had knee injuries from childhood that made my knees buckle with no warning even while standing. In my 40-50's my pain was to the point that I went to a sports medicine doctor and did everything I could (injections, PT) for a number of years. When it was not possible to climb up or down stairs, get up from sitting position, walking without pain, I went to him. It does take time to get in but it is well worth the wait. His office is state of the art. His staff is professional and caring. After two total knee replacements that went absolutely above my expectations, please go.
Terri M., Dripping Springs, TX – Jun 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Dr Carter & his team a a super friendly, professional group. I had a total knee replacement a couple of years ago. They care to spend a lot of time answering questions, preparing & educating their patients on the upcoming procedures. and they believe it's important to set realistic expectations. In my recent visit I learned I'll need a hip replacement. Dr Carter is the Doctor for me! I had an excellent outcome with my knee and believe the same will occur with the new hip.
KJ – Jun 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
I received excellent surgical and medical care during the hospitalization. Several days now since total knee replacement and still no significant pain. The St. Davids Orthopedic unit was fantastic. Not one person with a bad attitude and the Nursing, OT and PT staffs were professional, experienced and most attentive. Dr. Carter and Mr. Victor made daily rounds and were always available for questions. All in all, the experience far exceeded expectations.
R. E. Helmer, III – May 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Dr. Shelby replaced my left knee in 2/2011 and my left hip 5/2019 (even making sure he offset my shorter left leg so that both legs were even). Both operations were very successful, and I was even able to visit Ireland 3 months after my knee replacement with no problems or pain. He is exceptional in both his expertise and his personality (bed-side manner) for his patients.
Don Johnson – May 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Dr. Shelby Carter performed a badly needed and complex total knee surgery on me. His office staff, spearheaded by the surgical coordinator, Cheryl Ann Walker, was highly courtesy and professional. The surgery was a complete success. After three months, I have returned to working out, long hikes, biking, and golf. All of these activities were out of the question prior to the surgery. Shelby Carter and his PA, Alex Victor, are absolutely the best!!! I could not be more satisfied with my entire experience from initial consultation, surgery, physical therapy, and post-op visits.
Charles H. of Austin – Apr 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
I had my left knee replaced on January 31, 2019. It was my 6th major surgery on that knee. My 5th surgery was 47 years ago when I was 22; my first at 15 in high school. All surgeries were to correct athletic injuries. Clumsy? No doubt. My friends have been telling me for years to get a replacement and that I will wish I had had it earlier. BS, I thought. I've rehabbed 5 times from era surgeries that had me in a rigged cast from the top of my thigh to my ankle for 8-12 weeks. Those past rehabs were brutal. Atrophy made the first month just forcing my knee to bend enough to sit in a chair without my leg sticking out in the aisle, very painful. The old Rehab was 4-6 mos before I could walk normal. My wife is a working surgery RN and made the effort to find out the best orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Shelby Carter was the name that kept coming up. Research was worth the effort. 60 days after surgery I was 100%. My rehab this time was easy and fast. I wish I had it done years ago, NO BS!
Jay D. – Mar 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Review of Doctors, PA’s Nurses and staff of St. David’s center for knee and hip replacement. I have been a patient of Dr. Carter for several years. Was scheduled for a partial knee procedure on Feb 18. Dr. Carter became ill and cancelled all Jan and Feb schedules. Being that I had been in pain for 9 months I needed to get rescheduled. I called Cherylann at 6:50 AM on Monday morning to try to get help. She answered her phone and I immediately became her most important patient. She contacted Dr. Romero to see if he could take me as a Patient and called me back later on Monday morning. Being a new patient with Dr. Romero , he wanted additional information like a MRI and fresh blood work. I got the MRI scheduled at 10:00PM Monday night and the blood work done earlier that day. I also got an appointment with Dr. Romero on Tuesday at 1:00PM. At my Tuesday appointment Dr. Romero had all the information he needed to schedule me for surgery on Jan 29. Surgery was successful with a ROBOTIC
Lyle Paul Arends – Feb 14, 2020
Pleasant, very professional
Sheron morrison – Jan 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Carter?

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Shelby Carter, MD...

Offer an online patient portal?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Offer evening visits?

Communicate via email?

Offer weekend visits?

Dr. Carter accepts

Dr. Carter accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
Blue Advantage HMO
Blue Choice
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Preferred PPO

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Hip/Pelvic Bones

Hip surgery includes arthroscopy, fracture repair, resurfacing, and replacment to treat conditions affecting the hip, such as arthritis, dysplasia, and injuries.Compare with other Hip/Pelvic Bones specialists.

Typically treats 78% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 5 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Osteoarthritis of Hip

Dr. Carter treats Osteoarthritis of Hip more than 100% of their peers

Dr. Carter treats this condition more than 100% of their peers

Enthesopathy of Hip (incl. Trochanteric Bursitis)

Dr. Carter treats Enthesopathy of Hip (incl. Trochanteric Bursitis) more than 99% of their peers

Dr. Carter treats this condition more than 99% of their peers

Hip Replacement

Dr. Carter performs Hip Replacement more than 95% of their peers

Dr. Carter performs this procedure more than 95% of their peers

Knee/Lower Limbs

Knee and lower limb surgeons perform procedures such as total knee replacement, partial knee replacement, and tendor repair, to treat conditions including arthritis, ligament tears, or bone fractures.Compare with other Knee/Lower Limbs specialists.

Typically treats 69% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 10 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Knee Disorders

Dr. Carter treats Knee Disorders more than 100% of their peers

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Dr. Carter treats Osteoarthritis of Knee more than 100% of their peers

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain

Dr. Carter treats Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain more than 99% of their peers

Dr. Carter treats this condition more than 99% of their peers

• Coccygeal Pain
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Surgery
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Total Knee Arthroplasty With Robotic Assistance
  • Trigger Finger
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wrist Fracture

Shelby Carter, MD, received his undergraduate degree in Chemistry at Tufts University and his medical degree from New York University, both with highest honors. He completed his general surgery internship and orthopedic residency at the Medical Colle...Read more

1982
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center
1981
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center

Memberships & Affiliations

• International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Member

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Carter communicate via email?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Carter offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Carter offer an online patient portal?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Carter have free onsite parking?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Carter offer weekend visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Carter offer evening visits?

Please call the office to learn more. (737) 202-2500