Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD is an orthopedic surgery specialist in Austin, TX and has been practicing for 37 years. He specializes in orthopedic surgery.

The Center for Hip & Knee Replacement

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
Blue Advantage HMO
Blue Choice
Preferred PPO

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Check Dr. Carter III's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Carter III's Top Procedures and Conditions

Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

Dr. Carter III treats Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh more than 100% of his peers

Osteoarthritis of Hip

• Coccygeal Pain
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Surgery
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Total Knee Arthroplasty With Robotic Assistance
  • Trigger Finger
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wrist Fracture

Shelby Carter, MD, received his undergraduate degree in Chemistry at Tufts University and his medical degree from New York University, both with highest honors. He completed his general surgery internship and orthopedic residency at the Medical Colle...

1982

Dr. Carter III?
Dr. Carter III's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD
RecentMost Helpful
Dr. Carter explained everything I should expect concerning the surgery, the good with the bad. I feel very good about my choice of doctors, Dr. Carter and all the people in his office have been most professional and kind.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
Dr Carter performed a total Knee replacement for me 8 years ago and it is great. Now I am schedule with him again to do my other knee. He is the best!!!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I first experienced the care of Dr. Carter about 10 years ago when performed my Right Knee Replacement. It was a very positive experience in the many challenges of the that process. My recovery from the Left Knee Replacement I had done nine years prior to this was faster and well guided. Now, when it became apparent that I need a Left Hip Replacement , I was sure that I was total arrement with my Primary Physicians referral to him. Although the wait was more months than I expected , I had faith that he knew we could manage that....and so it has been. The complete process for the Pre-op visits and Hospital admission has bee very organized even though more complicated than I had ever experienced. I look forward to a positive and very professional Hip Replacement July15, 2019 and being the patient of his solid team .
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I really enjoyed our first meet, he is honest and pulls no punches. He will tell you exactly what to expect and what you need to do, I appreciate that. I would rather have complete transparency than a bunch of beating around the bush
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I am so Thankful for Dr. Carter and his GREAT TEAM!! They made me feel like they truly care! In my personal experience, they went above and beyond other Doctors to help me walk again. They are very knowledgeable and are on the cutting edge of new technology; But at the same time their office is well established and they have plans and procedures in place to help you both before and after the surgery. If you are needing a hip replacement, look no further. These doctors are who you want on your side!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I was very impressed from my first visit until my last appointment. When I called the office with questions, someone got back with me the same day.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
From the moment I checked in I received professional and caring care from everyone I met at this office. Dr Carter explained and demonstrated what was causing me pain and offered other alternatives to surgery.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I had my right knee replaced by Dr. Carter. My physical therapist told me he enjoyed seeing Dr. Carter's patients, because they tended to have less swelling and less pain. That was true for me. He did an excellent job, and I was pleased by the performance of both his office and medical staffs. I couldn't be more pleased with the whole process. Five stars!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
Dr. Carter and his staff are professional, friendly, courteous. He does not waste time, but takes whatever time is necessary to be sure that the patient and his/her family understand fully the problem and what needs to be done to resolve it.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
Dr Carter is an excellent surgeon as well as a caring and compassionate person, I will highly recommend him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
The main variable when it comes to getting a successful knee or hip replacement seems to be the quality of the surgeon and the extent to which he influences his staff and the hospital staff by insisting on careful, considerate care. I chose Dr. Carter and his staff and I'm satisfied that he is at the very top level of surgeons in Texas and in the world. The rate of post operative infections is extremely low among his patients, which is one indication. I couldn't be more grateful.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I became a patient of Dr Carter over 10 years ago and was very pleased with the results of two knee replacements performed by him. The operations were a great success and the results were outstanding. I have already recommended him to several friends who have been equally pleased by the results of his treatment - both surgical and non-surgical.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
Rapport is quickly established with Dr. Carter. He has replaced both of my knees as well as my husband's. Because of his skill, talents and expertise both of us experience complete and pain free use of our knees. I am back to see him with hip discomfort. As a willing listener and upon seeing my X rays he has made a plan to improve my situation. I express complete confidence in his expertise and his plan. He is an extraordinary doctor.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I discovered Dr. Shelby Carter after getting great recommendations from friends and acquaintances about their experiences with knee replacement. My primary care doctor agreed. It is reassuring to have a surgeon with such a good reputation. You always feel you are in good hands with Dr. Carter. He surrounds himself with professional and caring staff, and you get lots of information to prepare for the surgery and extensive rehab. There is about a 6-month wait time for surgery, but it is worth it.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
He is excellent! Outstanding reputation! Practical and thoughtful in his advice. My choice for my knee replacement.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I received Excellent care from Dr Carter. He is polite , and answers any and all questions I might have. He is the best. Staff friendly and courteous.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
I have had one visit with Dr. Carter and I look forward to seeing him again. My first impression was a very good one. Dr. Carter was friendly and thorough. He seemed to know about my health issues before I told him anything so I felt like he had actually read the information on my health forms. Dr, Carter deserves the wonderful record he has and I am willing to put my trust in him for future medical needs on my knees. His personal self lives up to his reputation.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
Excellent Dr. i was so happy with him. He told me everything i need to do and helped my hip feel so much better.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?
Dr. Carter III and his staff were magnificent. The receptionist was very patient with me an helped explaining the paperwork. The staff were respectful and upbeat. I was amazed with the facility - high tech equipment, which enabled Dr. Carter to make a precise assessment. He was very through with explanations and providing information. I was extremely impressed with his knowledge, and above all his integrity.
Best in the business!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Shelby Carter III, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Carter III?

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Carter III treats patients.

Compare Providers