Dr. Shelby Carter, MD

Dr. Shelby Carter, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. Shelby Carter, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Austin, TX. He is 63 years old and has been practicing for 37 years. Dr. Carter is affiliated with Seton Medical Center Austin, St. David's Medical Center, The Hospital at Westlake Medical Center and Arise Austin Medical Center.

The Center for Hip & Knee Replacement

3000 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas

Learn about Dr. Carter

See how frequently Dr. Carter performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Enthesopathy of Hip (incl. Trochanteric Bursitis)
Bursitis
Osteoarthritis

Dr. Carter's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Ankle Fracture
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Ataxia
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Broken Arm
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Osgood Schlatter Disease

• Med College Va
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1981
  • Med College Va
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1982

Dr. Carter has no media or publications listed.

• International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Member

St. David's Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
America's 100 Best Hospitals Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Carter is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Carter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Carter to family and friends
Dr. Carter's Performance
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter and his team are the best I've ever encountered. Not even close.
Austin, TX |
After seeing 2 other surgeons for my knee replacement surgery I decided on Dr Carter who was highly recommended by a close friend. I couldn't have been happier with my choice. He is clearly the best knee surgeon in Austin.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter and his staff are the best. From informing me of actually what goes on with the procedure to being current on my condition, you couldn't ask for a better organization. Dr. Carter and his staff are the most knowledgable group I have ever had the oprotunity to experience. Thank You Dr. Carter & your staff.
in Austin, TX |
When the time came for knee replacement surgery I began asking every doctor I knew and trusted for recommendations. Without exception on everyone's short list of orthopedic surgeons was Dr. Shelby Carter. I made an appointment to meet Dr. Cater. I liked him and I was happy to hear he was working at St. David's on 32nd St. a place where I spent a good deal of time during my professional life. Dr. Carter and his staff provided excellent care from the beginning. I had my surgery with po
in Pflugerville, TX |
Best ortho surgeon in central Texas! Replaced my knees and gave my a new life of activity. I could not imagine having this done any better than Dr. Carter did. Highly recommend.
Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter is a brilliant, compassionate physician. He manages his schedule well and gives patients sufficient, focused evaluation. Dr. Carter can quickly analyze among treatment options to find the most effective treatment. His experience and confidence means that I receive his opinions and recommendations for a good outcome. We are fortunate to have Dr. Carter as our doctor.
Irving, TX |
Had my left knee replaced June 15. Going back for right knee September 14. He is a master at knee replacement. His staff is very attentive to all your care before and after surgery.
Austin, TX |
I had been to another doctor concerning my knee and potential issues with a decades-old repair of a broken femur, but had little confidence in his approach. When I saw Dr. Carter, he took the time to answer my questions and concerns, while he carefully explained how I could get a knee replacement without complications from the old injury.
in Austin, TX |
I had knee replacement surgery with Dr. Carter in 2000, and subsequently, 2 hip replacements. I had not had any contact with his office since 2014, but recently needed help. From The appointm process through the evaluation/X-ray and shot, the staff were efficient and professional. I spent no time alone in a room behind a closed door waiting--waiting. The followup with Dr. Carter was pleasant, as always. He has been my orthopedic surgeon for 18 years. I consider myself fortunate.
in Austin, TX |
The appointment started on time. After a brief conference, an X-ray was ordered and we proceeded to it directly. Within minutes, the X-ray was reviewed. After an explanation, I received a shot. Before release I had a brief review and meeting with Dr. Carter. The whole experience felt comfortable and reassuring. I appreciated that there was not a long wait of sitting in a patient room--waiting. They were respectful of my time,and I so respect their professionalism and excellent medical care.
in Austin,TX |
Dr. Carter, Selena and the remaining staff are superlative examples of Health Care quality. I am so grateful I chose this practice for my hip replacement!
Austin, TX |
Surgery went well - less pain and more flexibility than I expected. Back to doing my normal activities quicker than I expected. I am very please with Dr Carter and his staff. I highly recommend Dr Carter. My initial visit took a while but well worth the wait.
Austin, TX |
My wife and I are both patients of Dr. Carter. My wife for several years of palliative knee care followed by a full knee replacement over a year ago. I'm a recent patient with beginning knee problems. Dr. Carter and his staff are professional, confidence building, and when necessary compassionate. I would highly recommend Dr. Carter and his practice.
in Georgetown, TX |
Dr. Carter is so professional and kind. He found my problem right away and knew exactly what to do. Great experience, I would highly recommend him.
Bastrop, TX |
Dr. Carter has done both knee replacements for me! I can play tennis and dance better than I have in years! I shopped around for three years before I found a doctor I trusted with my knees! Dr. Shelby Carter is wonderful!!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter is, first of all, a great human being. He is kind and caring with his patients. I have been seeing Dr. Carter for many years. He has made a big difference in my ability to live my life comfortably. I always recommend him to friends and family for their hip and knee issues since that is his focus now.. My late husband was a colleague of Dr. Carter's and held him in high esteem for his medical expertise and his personal qualities as well as his excellent surgical skills..
in Cedar Park, TX |
Dr. Carter is a copacetic physician with superb abilities, friendly manner, and an unmatched sense of compassion. His office staff is one of the most professional that I have seen as well - never a problem with getting appointments, and getting questions answered. While you hope to never have knee issues, when they inevitably occur there is no substitute for the superb care offered by Dr. Carter and his Austin office.
in Georgetown, TX |
Without a doubt Dr. Carter is one of the best if not the best orthopedic surgeon! He and his staff are all about doing what is best for the patients. Dr. Carter is clear and concise in his explanation on the appropriate action to be taken. After my motorcycle wreck my case was one of the most challenging ones he could've had and the results were beyond my expectations.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter is the best. He's on the cutting edge of the latest technology: He gave me the first 2 robotic total knee replacements in Austin. That technology fits right in with his deep experience & great gifts as a surgeon. Yet he's so modest and unassuming in person! My two knees have given me a new lease on life, and my recovery has been much easier than I imagined. I'm going to be back on the tennis court 3 months before I thought I would--& am already doing everything else without pain.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter has been my doctor for 10 yrs, treating me for a non surgical hip problem. It has been excellent care. He also did a knee replacement on my husband, whose recovery was prompt and successful. My son-in-law came from S.Antonio to have Dr. Carter do his knee replacement, because he wanted the "best". Dr. Carter's reputation as an outstanding surgeon, in his specialty, is widely known. He has my highest recommendation.
Pflugerville, TX |
I have been a long time patient. I would not hesitate to recommend Shelby Carter to any of my friends or family. I would not choose any other orthopedic surgeon.
Austin, TX |
I've been very satisfied with the hip replacement that Dr. Carter performed on me. I was especially happy with the seamless interface between his office and the hospital.. I don't feel like I'm 20 again but at least my hip no longer keeps me from doing the thing I want to do.
in Austin, TX |
Dr Carter has performed two knee replacement surgeries for me...one at age 88... Both were successful. I highly recommend him and his team.
Oak Brook, IL |
Dr. Carter has an unparalleled reputation for excellence in hip and knee surgery. The nurses in the hospital say he i the physician they would choose for themselves or their family. The professionals who work on his team are proud to work with him--he motivates all fo them to strive for excellence. He is totall devoted to doing everything in his power to get great results for his patients. He is the best of the best.
in Austin, TX |
I had an amazing experience with Dr. Carter. I trusted him with no reservations and believe he is the best in his field. He was always professional, compassionate and honest. I felt he really cared about my situation. When I went to see him I could hardly walk but after my bi-lateral hip replacements, I'm almost dancing after only 8 weeks. His staff is also exceptional. I encourage anyone who has hip problems to schedule an appointment with him!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter replaced my hip and my husband's knee. He was party to a decision regarding my ankle fusion. Locally, he poineered anterior hip transplants. Recently, he agreed to a last minute appointment to look into an extremely painful issue for me, and I'm grateful beyond measure. He's unsurpassed in knowledge, skill, and compassion, and I recommend him with no reservation. His assistants are helpful and forthright. He sometimes has lengthy waits for surgeries, but he's worth the wait!
in austin tx |
it was a good visit he answered all my questions
Dr. Carter performed bilateral resurfacing of my hip joints in 2009 and I recently visited for my follow up exam. My surgery went well with no complications and the follow up revealed that all is normal. Dr. Carter did excellent work which allowed me to regain my life as I knew before. I recommend Dr. Carter to everyone I meet who has trouble with their hips or appear to.
in The Hills, TX |
I could not be happier with the results of my knee replacement. Because of polio, my right leg has always been at least an inch shorter than my left. Dr. Carter was able to get my legs close to the same length. For the first time in my life I do not have a limp. I had no pain after surgery and had full motion of my knee in three weeks.
Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter was highly recommended to me by others who had surgery by him. Dr hoped to delay surgery so tried cortisone, then Orthovisc. Then got on wait list for for full knee replacement. Now I'm at 4 months post surgery. Very happy I waited for him. He and staff are great at communicating what you need to know before/after surgery and if you have questions/concerns they've responded ASAP. Medical people describe incision as "beautiful" and can tell it is Dr Carter's.
in Austin, TX |
After 4 previous surgeries on my left knee, one not so good, and one pretty major, the amount of bone on born and constant pain was out of control, and interfering with sleep. It took six months to get an appointment with Dr. Carter, but hey, he has a great reputation and is known as a perfectionist in his field, I.E., the best! The X-rays were done in the office and as soon as they were done he came back in the room and said what I pretty much had anticipated: knee replacement.
Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter is a fantastic surgeon! He knows his stuff. I recommend him to others all the time. Don't be put off by a bit of a wait to see him for surgery. It will be worth it! All the staff in his office is very helpful.
in Austin, TX |
I had waited with great anticipation for my visit with Dr. Shelby Carter and I was not disappointed! The office was very nice and calming, the staff were very polite and helpful and best of all, I was called in to see the doctor just minutes after my arrival. I had X-rays done within the next few minutes and and before I could even finish filling out my forms I was talking with the doctor about my films and needs. I feel that I found the right doctor and the right practice for my needs.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Shelby Carter is the best! I trust him with my life. He has been there for me through three joint replacements and if I have a choice he is the surgeon that I will go to for care. Apparently many other people think the same thing because to get a surgery date with him takes a few months, but to me the wait is worth it.
in Austin, TX |
After a question or two you know that Dr. Carter knows his business! Very direct and to the point in his responses, he quickly sums up symptoms with possible causes. I know his work from many friends and family who have been treated by Dr. Carter ... simply the best!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Shelby Carter is known as the highest rated orthopedic surgeon specializing in knee and hip replacements, in Austin, Texas
in Austin, TX |
Had left knee replaced (never a good thing to go through), but Dr Carter is meticulous and so minimal scar, no infection, very quick healing, good function. Will have him do other knee in 2 months. Dr Carter is a rare surgeon with experience, good surgical skills, and deep insight into joint problems.
in Lakeway, TX |
Dr. Carter is very attentive, listens to the complaints and makes recommendations accordingly. He is not quick to jump to surgery and tries other alternatives to avoid the knife. Since they've moved to their new offices it seems its easier to get an appointment. Highly recommend Dr. Carter and he's not the only knee doctor I've seen.
Have you seen Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Are you Dr. Carter?

1201 W 38th St
Arise Austin Medical Center
3003 Bee Caves Rd
Austin, TX 78746

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Carter at The Center for Hip & Knee Replacement

Orthopedic Surgery Specialist