Dr. Shelby Carter, MD

Dr. Shelby Carter, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Contact provider for availability

Dr. Shelby Carter, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Austin, TX. He is 63 years old and has been practicing for 37 years. Dr. Carter is affiliated with Arise Austin Medical Center, Seton Medical Center Austin, The Hospital at Westlake Medical Center and St. David's Medical Center.

The Center for Hip & Knee Replacement

3000 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas

Learn about Dr. Carter

Dr. Carter's Experience

Dr. Carter's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Broken Arm
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Med College Va
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1981
  • Med College Va
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1982

Dr. Carter has no media or publications listed.

• International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Member

St. David's Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
America's 100 Best Hospitals Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Carter is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Carter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Carter to family and friends
Dr. Carter's Performance
in Georgetown, TX |
Dr. Carter is so professional and kind. He found my problem right away and knew exactly what to do. Great experience, I would highly recommend him.
Bastrop, TX |
Dr. Carter has done both knee replacements for me! I can play tennis and dance better than I have in years! I shopped around for three years before I found a doctor I trusted with my knees! Dr. Shelby Carter is wonderful!!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter is, first of all, a great human being. He is kind and caring with his patients. I have been seeing Dr. Carter for many years. He has made a big difference in my ability to live my life comfortably. I always recommend him to friends and family for their hip and knee issues since that is his focus now.. My late husband was a colleague of Dr. Carter's and held him in high esteem for his medical expertise and his personal qualities as well as his excellent surgical skills..
in Cedar Park, TX |
Dr. Carter is a copacetic physician with superb abilities, friendly manner, and an unmatched sense of compassion. His office staff is one of the most professional that I have seen as well - never a problem with getting appointments, and getting questions answered. While you hope to never have knee issues, when they inevitably occur there is no substitute for the superb care offered by Dr. Carter and his Austin office.
in Georgetown, TX |
Without a doubt Dr. Carter is one of the best if not the best orthopedic surgeon! He and his staff are all about doing what is best for the patients. Dr. Carter is clear and concise in his explanation on the appropriate action to be taken. After my motorcycle wreck my case was one of the most challenging ones he could've had and the results were beyond my expectations.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter is the best. He's on the cutting edge of the latest technology: He gave me the first 2 robotic total knee replacements in Austin. That technology fits right in with his deep experience & great gifts as a surgeon. Yet he's so modest and unassuming in person! My two knees have given me a new lease on life, and my recovery has been much easier than I imagined. I'm going to be back on the tennis court 3 months before I thought I would--& am already doing everything else without pain.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter has been my doctor for 10 yrs, treating me for a non surgical hip problem. It has been excellent care. He also did a knee replacement on my husband, whose recovery was prompt and successful. My son-in-law came from S.Antonio to have Dr. Carter do his knee replacement, because he wanted the "best". Dr. Carter's reputation as an outstanding surgeon, in his specialty, is widely known. He has my highest recommendation.
Pflugerville, TX |
I have been a long time patient. I would not hesitate to recommend Shelby Carter to any of my friends or family. I would not choose any other orthopedic surgeon.
Austin, TX |
I've been very satisfied with the hip replacement that Dr. Carter performed on me. I was especially happy with the seamless interface between his office and the hospital.. I don't feel like I'm 20 again but at least my hip no longer keeps me from doing the thing I want to do.
in Austin, TX |
Dr Carter has performed two knee replacement surgeries for me...one at age 88... Both were successful. I highly recommend him and his team.
Oak Brook, IL |
Dr. Carter has an unparalleled reputation for excellence in hip and knee surgery. The nurses in the hospital say he i the physician they would choose for themselves or their family. The professionals who work on his team are proud to work with him--he motivates all fo them to strive for excellence. He is totall devoted to doing everything in his power to get great results for his patients. He is the best of the best.
in Austin, TX |
I had an amazing experience with Dr. Carter. I trusted him with no reservations and believe he is the best in his field. He was always professional, compassionate and honest. I felt he really cared about my situation. When I went to see him I could hardly walk but after my bi-lateral hip replacements, I'm almost dancing after only 8 weeks. His staff is also exceptional. I encourage anyone who has hip problems to schedule an appointment with him!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter replaced my hip and my husband's knee. He was party to a decision regarding my ankle fusion. Locally, he poineered anterior hip transplants. Recently, he agreed to a last minute appointment to look into an extremely painful issue for me, and I'm grateful beyond measure. He's unsurpassed in knowledge, skill, and compassion, and I recommend him with no reservation. His assistants are helpful and forthright. He sometimes has lengthy waits for surgeries, but he's worth the wait!
in austin tx |
it was a good visit he answered all my questions
Dr. Carter performed bilateral resurfacing of my hip joints in 2009 and I recently visited for my follow up exam. My surgery went well with no complications and the follow up revealed that all is normal. Dr. Carter did excellent work which allowed me to regain my life as I knew before. I recommend Dr. Carter to everyone I meet who has trouble with their hips or appear to.
in The Hills, TX |
I could not be happier with the results of my knee replacement. Because of polio, my right leg has always been at least an inch shorter than my left. Dr. Carter was able to get my legs close to the same length. For the first time in my life I do not have a limp. I had no pain after surgery and had full motion of my knee in three weeks.
Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter was highly recommended to me by others who had surgery by him. Dr hoped to delay surgery so tried cortisone, then Orthovisc. Then got on wait list for for full knee replacement. Now I'm at 4 months post surgery. Very happy I waited for him. He and staff are great at communicating what you need to know before/after surgery and if you have questions/concerns they've responded ASAP. Medical people describe incision as "beautiful" and can tell it is Dr Carter's.
in Austin, TX |
After 4 previous surgeries on my left knee, one not so good, and one pretty major, the amount of bone on born and constant pain was out of control, and interfering with sleep. It took six months to get an appointment with Dr. Carter, but hey, he has a great reputation and is known as a perfectionist in his field, I.E., the best! The X-rays were done in the office and as soon as they were done he came back in the room and said what I pretty much had anticipated: knee replacement.
Austin, TX |
Dr. Carter is a fantastic surgeon! He knows his stuff. I recommend him to others all the time. Don't be put off by a bit of a wait to see him for surgery. It will be worth it! All the staff in his office is very helpful.
in Austin, TX |
I had waited with great anticipation for my visit with Dr. Shelby Carter and I was not disappointed! The office was very nice and calming, the staff were very polite and helpful and best of all, I was called in to see the doctor just minutes after my arrival. I had X-rays done within the next few minutes and and before I could even finish filling out my forms I was talking with the doctor about my films and needs. I feel that I found the right doctor and the right practice for my needs.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Shelby Carter is the best! I trust him with my life. He has been there for me through three joint replacements and if I have a choice he is the surgeon that I will go to for care. Apparently many other people think the same thing because to get a surgery date with him takes a few months, but to me the wait is worth it.
in Austin, TX |
After a question or two you know that Dr. Carter knows his business! Very direct and to the point in his responses, he quickly sums up symptoms with possible causes. I know his work from many friends and family who have been treated by Dr. Carter ... simply the best!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Shelby Carter is known as the highest rated orthopedic surgeon specializing in knee and hip replacements, in Austin, Texas
in Dri[pping Springs, TX |
Dr. Carter performed a complete right knee repalcement 4 years ago. Imediately following surgery I was instructed to a series of physical theripy for two weeks. When I first arrived at the therapist they looked at my knee and said it looked like the work of Dr. Carter. I was up and walking with no assistance in 30 days. I never had complications or a reason to revisit Dr. Carter for the past 4 years. It is in my opinion that Dr. Carter and his staff Ms. Selina Robertson are the BEST.
in Austin, TX |
Had left knee replaced (never a good thing to go through), but Dr Carter is meticulous and so minimal scar, no infection, very quick healing, good function. Will have him do other knee in 2 months. Dr Carter is a rare surgeon with experience, good surgical skills, and deep insight into joint problems.
in Lakeway, TX |
Dr. Carter is very attentive, listens to the complaints and makes recommendations accordingly. He is not quick to jump to surgery and tries other alternatives to avoid the knife. Since they've moved to their new offices it seems its easier to get an appointment. Highly recommend Dr. Carter and he's not the only knee doctor I've seen.
Have you seen Dr. Shelby Carter, MD?
Are you Dr. Carter?

Austin, TX 78746
Seton Medical Center Austin
1201 W 38th St
Austin, TX 78705

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Carter at The Center for Hip & Knee Replacement

Dr. Jacob Manuel, MD