Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO

Practices Orthopedic Surgery

On a scale of 1 and 5 this provider is rated 4.5 after 101 reviews.
Author:
I had a great experience with Dr. Palmer regarding my hip replacement. The Dr. and his office were prompt, professional and honest with me. I had no issues and would gladly refer him to anyone needing a hip replacement.
Author:
Dr. Palmer was 1 hour late. He snapped at me when I complained about missing 2 hours for 5 mintiest. His bedside manner is awful and he did not even read my x rays and he wanted surgery. I would give him a thumbs down.
Author:
Dr. Palmer is the best! He isn't in a hurry and talks to you like a person. I knew immediately when I met him that I wanted him to do my surgery. Back to work before I planned and feeling great!
Author:
Exactly as planned. Went home the same day after my hip and back to work at 9 days. Great doctor and easy to talk to. I could not be happier.
Author:
After 1.5 years of pain and chiropractors, acupuncturists, a different Ortho doc, myofascial release etc... no one was able to diagnose and permanently relieve my pain until I fortunately found Dr. Palmer by simply Googling hip specialists in my area. Every detail of the process and procedure were explained by him and by the material provided by his staff and the outpatient facility where the out-patient surgery takes place. I knew what to expect. Dr. Palmer was very pleasant, didn't waste time, but lets you ask questions you may have. I'm now 2 months post-op and feel amazing! Actually, I felt great right after surgery. Back to gym activities and riding my motorcycle pain free! Still a little stiff the first few steps after sitting a while, but then good as gold! Highly recommend Dr. Palmer. I told him he can't retire until I'm gone! LOL! He truly is the best!
Author:
A year later, I can't walk more than a few yards, much worse than before. I had to go to a teaching hospital to be seen by a world class surgeon who stated she would not have recommended the surgery in the first place and found the implant is not sitting on the bone correctly and the angel is off. The office is small, cramped, overbooked and the staff is rude.
Unfortunately, Healthgrades can not confirm that any review is from an actual patient. This comment is not from a patient in my practice.
Author:
If you need your hip replaced, look no more! Dr Palmer is the only one you need to see!
Author:
He and his staff are the very best in the world for hip replacements. I had both done at the sane time and am trouble free for over 4 years today! Thanks be to Dr Palmer and his staff for the skill and ability to help those of us in need.
Author:
He and his staff are the very best in care you will ever receive in your life! Choose the best with him or you’ll simple settle with all the rest!
Author:
Dr. Palmer is the BEST. He performed my anterior hip replacement on 3/7, a 20 min. procedure via Spinal-was awake in 90 mins., was walking 5 hrs later w/ walker & stopped using it on 3/9. Had 3 inhome PT sessions with therapist (Gee-he was great), now going to Athletico for few weeks of PT. And the nurses & anesthesiologist at Valley Surgery Ctr were awesome. 3 nurses (who are not supposed to say) whispered in my ear "We see the results, Dr. Palmer is the best!! Greg Liddell 3/18/19
Author:
I had hip replacement and expected a long painful recovery. Wrong. Dr. Palmer is so skilled I was walking the next day and off the cane in a month and I am 75 years old. Don't hesitate. He is kind, skilled, and loves his patients.
Author:
Absolute thrilled with the outcome of the surgery and the positive attitude. Makes me confident that I picked the right surgeon
Author:
I would recommend Dr. Palmer and his Staff to anyone they were great to work with and him being a man of little words and to the point sold me on him being my Doctor. I can only say this to Dr. Palmer and his Staff. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Author:
Dr Palmer is a miracle worker. He performed bilateral hip replacements on me on Aug 29, 2018. Within weeks I was fully mobile. I owe him and his staff a huge debt of gratitude for a new lease on life. I wish I were not limited to 5 stars to give because he deserves 10. If you need the kind of surgery I did, Dr Palmer is your answer.
Author:
Dr. Palmer is fantastic! He replaced both my hips in 2014. Great bedside manner, quick recovery, and I walk perfect! Thank you, Dr. Palmer for taking the unbearable pain away! I recommend you to all my friends, neighbors, and even strangers. You truly are the “Best”!!!
Author:
Dr. Shawn Palmer is a very good doctor, highly recommend to anyone. He definitely takes his time with you, explains everything in a very clear manner. He is very professional, responsive and knowledgeable .
Author:
It has been a year since my two hip replacements (April 13 and June 1).The surgery and recovery were so much easier than I ever would have imagined. I spent 1 night in the hospital, went home the next day and was able to climb the stairs. I needed no pain relief after the first day, received 6 PT sessions after the first and 4 after the second, and was driving in two weeks. Dr. Palmer’s method resulted in a faster recovery time than methods used by other surgeons I researched. I am so grateful.
Author:
My friends are amazed by my quick recovery. I tell them that finding Dr. Palmer online was the best thing ever.
Author:
couldn't be more impressed and thankful for Dr. Palmer and his staff. Bilateral knees surgery 4/11/2018. Everything on his website was as promised. Great communication !
Author:
I would highly recommend Dr. Palmer for knee replacement surgery. He is the best there is! He is so approachable and very knowledgeable in this area. It's his expertise!
Author:
Highly recommended!! What a awesome and miracle doctor. Whatever problem you have he will fix it!!!! You will want Dr. Palmer to fix it. My mom can finally walk after nine years from this wonderful dr. Palmer fixing her blotched surgery from a different dr. You will not be disappointed. Just a fabulous surgeon!!!!!!!
Author:
Thank you Dr. Palmer and your entire staff!! You are all in my prayers.
Author:
I tried to avoid hip replacement surgery for decades. After talking with a good friend who recently had his hip replaced by Dr. Palmer (using an anterior approach), I decided to visit Dr. Palmer. My friend is a medical professional and was very happy with his outcome. Even though I had considered many other doctors, I decided to schedule bilateral hip replacement surgery by Dr. Palmer. I could not be more pleased with the outcome. I highly recommend Dr. Palmer and his professional staff.
Author:
He is one of the best hip doctors out there I will recommend him to everyone
Author:
Outstanding care and information before and after surgery. Would highly recommend!
Author:
Dr. Shawn Palmer is a top expert in his field. He is the utmost professional who actually enjoys answering all your questions in an easy to understand patient way. His confident demeanor puts the patient at ease. His experience in the number of successful surgeries made me feel so good about trusting him that I scheduled the second hip surgery before I left his office. Family and friends can’t believe my recovery. Thank you, for improving my quality of life. I highly recommend, Dr. Shawn Palmer.
Author:
So easy to talk to. His nurse answered my calls every time. No leaving messages. I was so nervous about the surgery but everything worked out perfectly. I feel like I have been given a second chance.
Author:
Dr. Palmer is wonderful. He almost makes hip surgery easy. Six hours after surgery I was already walking. The hospital therapist called me a rock star! This is not your grandmothers hip surgery. Dr. Palmer is an expert in anterior hip surgery. The surgery itself doesn't take long, short hospital stay, and you can walk right away. You don't have to worry about how you sleep or sit. Physical therapy helps get back your range of motion. Dr. Palmer is the best!
Author:
Even though I live 9 hours away I chose Dr Palmer for my anterior hip replacement. My brother highly recommended Dr Palmer after he had both of his hips replaced so I made an appointment and was very impressed with his knowledge, professionalism, confidence and caring attitude. It has been 2 weeks since my surgery and I am walking unassisted and recovering quickly.
Author:
Young Total Knee replacement patient- 1 year out. I've have a lot of issues in the year. Not that I am blaming the surgery- but the follow up care is HORRIBLE> Dr. Palmer may or may not actually be the one seeing you- might be a "helper". Have to wait a week to even get in- and when I do get an appointment - the wait time is 45-to an hour. EVERY TIME. When I finally walked out of my last appt. i was told he overbooks - and there is nothing they can do. Very frustrating
Author:
I cant say enough about Dr. Palmer or his informative Website. He is very confident in helping you achieve a better quality of life through knee replacement surgery and he delivers. I had my Left Knee replaced by someone else and I can tell you that Dr. Palmers procedure is terrific. The Recovery Time is very fast as long as you follow his instructions to the letter and work hard at Physical Therapy. Stop suffering with your Bone on Bone pain and let Dr. Palmer "put a spring in your step!"
Author:
I've recently had my hip replaced. It's amazing how quickly I've recovered and how I'm pain free. Dr. Palmer did great work and I will recommend him to anyone needing the same procedure.
Author:
I had a total knee replacement on March 1st and am so happy. I worked very hard in therapy and no lie, it was a bit challenging. I am a heating and air tech. Our trade requires us to twist, bend and kneel. I went back to work around week 8, part time, and "eased" back into my routine. At week 12 I am doing great and seldom have a hint of pain. It gets better every week! Thanks to Dr Palmer and St. Joe's for the best care one could expect. Life is good!!
Author:
Left my house for the hospital - 12 hours late returned with a hew hip. Walked four hours after surgery. Yes the pain does peak around the third day after surgery. It's been two weeks now since my surgery and just some slight swelling. Just do it!
Author:
Dr Palmer did a bilateral knee replacement on December 7th I can't believe how great everything went, very little pain hardly any scar and physical therapy went great and I was back to work at 100 percent in 12 weeks and my knees have not felt this good in years I would recommend Him to anyone needing knee replacement surgery . And I would like to add that Dr Palmer and his staff was very good about answering any questions I had at a very timely manner
Author:
You cannot get a better surgeon than Dr. Palmer. He is highly qualified as you can tell by previous reviews. What impressed me the most is his confidence. He is not cocky but very confident in his abilities to do my hip surgery with a quick recovery time and minimal discomfort. There is no other surgeon I would rather have doing this procedure than Dr Palmer
Author:
Dr. Palmer replaced my right hip 8 days ago. I was walking on my own in 5 days, and driving in 8 days. This was not pain free surgery by any means, but the results are worth it. While Dr. Palmer himself is a spectacular surgeon, his office staff and partners (surgery center and home PT) are dreadful to deal with. Don't expect calls to be returned the same day during recovery. The 24/7 access his website brags about doesn't exist. I felt rushed out on my follow-up visit, after waiting an hour.
Author:
I would definitely recommend Dr. Palmer to friends and family. I already do. I have heard folks from near and far sing his praises. I was also very touched by his kindness when I saw him in December before my March 1 surgery. The only thing I think could be improved upon is the fact that you never see him again after the surgery. I know how busy he is--9 were done the day I had my hip replacement. However, I am used to seeing the surgeon in recovery or at the post appt. Not enough follow-up.
Author:
Did research and now I know why he was very highly recommended. Everything he told me to expect about the outcome and the recovery was right on.
Author:
I would indeed recommend Dr. Palmer . He replaced both my hips and a knee.
Author:
Dr. Palmer is the only doctor I have considered for my surgeries.
Author:
Great experience and recovery time was exactly 1 week and I returned to work walking 6 miles a day for left hip replacement. I was surprised that I had almost no pain after surgery. I actually walked out of the hospital the same day only hours later and out into the parking lot to go home unassisted. It was overall a fantastic process very easy and fast. The entire process from appointment to surgery could not have been made any simpler. I have told everyone I know to go to Dr. P!!!!
Author:
Dr. Palmer did a great service for me with the hip replacement. He is the best.
Author:
Dr. Palmer changed my life ! My hip surgery was such a success, I feel like a new person.
Author:
Dr Palmer did a great job on both of my operations. I had no pain afterwards. I had about 6 sessions of out patient therapy on both hips as a precaution. I have given Dr Palmer's name too a few friends of mine. I wish Dr Palmer could have seen me after the operations either in the hospital, or on my office visits afterwards. Thanks to everyone on his staff for a great job done.
Author:
Dr. Palmer was the answer to my prayers! I didn't know anything about his method of hip replacement until I heard an advertisement on the radio one day of "The Knee and Hip Center." I researched it online (VERY informative) and decided to make an appointment. After 4 years of crippling pain, it was now or never! Dr.Palmer was so down to earth and had me feeling quite at ease. He explained everything thoroughly and patiently answered my concerns. I left actually feeling excited to have surgery!
Author:
Best. Ortho. Dr. Ever.!! 2 days with a walker, 4 days witha cane AND in 1 1/2 weeks I was riding my bicycle!??
Author:
3 yrs ago Dr. Palmer replaced my hip. Surgery early AM...walked into house that evening. Dr P hip replacement ... A piece of cake. Recently, Dr Palmer performed bilateral knee replacement (two knees same time). Walked w/o cane in 3 wks. Driving in 4 wks. Per my phy therapist, I'm the poster child for bilateral knee replacement. Final testament to Dr Palmer, whenever mention to hospital staff Dr P as my surgeon, all said (in their experience) "you're very lucky ... he's THE BEST there is!!
Author:
I have recommended Dr. Palmer and will continue to do so. I have the utmost confidence in his ability and knowledge. Every thing he told me prior to the surgery was right on the mark. If I need another hip, there is only one surgeon I would consult.
Author:
Excellent experience and very good results. Care at Presence St Joseph was good as well.