Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO

Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Experience is what makes an expert. My practice is limited to knee and hip replacement surgery. Nothing else. I am fellowship trained in the specialty and for more than a decade I have assisted thousands of patients with the recovery from their pain and disability due to arthritis. I am the regions most experienced anterior hip replacement surgeon and serve as a national instructor teaching other surgeons how to safely perform the procedure. Visit my website at www.thehipandkneecenter.com.

Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Elgin, IL. He is 47 years old and has been practicing for 21 years. Dr. Palmer is affiliated with Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - Elgin and Advocate Sherman Hospital.

Dr. Palmer's Experience

See how Dr. Palmer's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Palmer

Dr. Palmer accepts 29 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Palmer has admitting privileges.

Dr. Palmer's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Palmer to family and friends
Dr. Palmer's Performance
in Carpentersville, IL |
Dr Palmer did a bilateral knee replacement on December 7th I can't believe how great everything went, very little pain hardly any scar and physical therapy went great and I was back to work at 100 percent in 12 weeks and my knees have not felt this good in years I would recommend Him to anyone needing knee replacement surgery . And I would like to add that Dr Palmer and his staff was very good about answering any questions I had at a very timely manner
in Bloomingdale, IL |
You cannot get a better surgeon than Dr. Palmer. He is highly qualified as you can tell by previous reviews. What impressed me the most is his confidence. He is not cocky but very confident in his abilities to do my hip surgery with a quick recovery time and minimal discomfort. There is no other surgeon I would rather have doing this procedure than Dr Palmer
in Woodstock, IL |
Dr. Palmer replaced my right hip 8 days ago. I was walking on my own in 5 days, and driving in 8 days. This was not pain free surgery by any means, but the results are worth it. While Dr. Palmer himself is a spectacular surgeon, his office staff and partners (surgery center and home PT) are dreadful to deal with. Don't expect calls to be returned the same day during recovery. The 24/7 access his website brags about doesn't exist. I felt rushed out on my follow-up visit, after waiting an hour.
in Lake in the Hills, IL |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Palmer to friends and family. I already do. I have heard folks from near and far sing his praises. I was also very touched by his kindness when I saw him in December before my March 1 surgery. The only thing I think could be improved upon is the fact that you never see him again after the surgery. I know how busy he is--9 were done the day I had my hip replacement. However, I am used to seeing the surgeon in recovery or at the post appt. Not enough follow-up.
in Carpentersville, IL |
Did research and now I know why he was very highly recommended. Everything he told me to expect about the outcome and the recovery was right on.
in Wauconda, IL |
I would indeed recommend Dr. Palmer . He replaced both my hips and a knee.
in Huntley, IL |
Dr. Palmer is the only doctor I have considered for my surgeries.
Chicago, IL |
Great experience and recovery time was exactly 1 week and I returned to work walking 6 miles a day for left hip replacement. I was surprised that I had almost no pain after surgery. I actually walked out of the hospital the same day only hours later and out into the parking lot to go home unassisted. It was overall a fantastic process very easy and fast. The entire process from appointment to surgery could not have been made any simpler. I have told everyone I know to go to Dr. P!!!!
in Elgin, IL |
Dr. Palmer did a great service for me with the hip replacement. He is the best.
in Crystal Lake, IL |
Dr. Palmer changed my life ! My hip surgery was such a success, I feel like a new person.
in Dekalb, IL |
Dr Palmer did a great job on both of my operations. I had no pain afterwards. I had about 6 sessions of out patient therapy on both hips as a precaution. I have given Dr Palmer's name too a few friends of mine. I wish Dr Palmer could have seen me after the operations either in the hospital, or on my office visits afterwards. Thanks to everyone on his staff for a great job done.
in Plainfield, IL |
Dr. Palmer was the answer to my prayers! I didn't know anything about his method of hip replacement until I heard an advertisement on the radio one day of "The Knee and Hip Center." I researched it online (VERY informative) and decided to make an appointment. After 4 years of crippling pain, it was now or never! Dr.Palmer was so down to earth and had me feeling quite at ease. He explained everything thoroughly and patiently answered my concerns. I left actually feeling excited to have surgery!
Dekalb, IL |
Best. Ortho. Dr. Ever.!! 2 days with a walker, 4 days witha cane AND in 1 1/2 weeks I was riding my bicycle!??
in Mt Prospect, IL |
3 yrs ago Dr. Palmer replaced my hip. Surgery early AM...walked into house that evening. Dr P hip replacement ... A piece of cake. Recently, Dr Palmer performed bilateral knee replacement (two knees same time). Walked w/o cane in 3 wks. Driving in 4 wks. Per my phy therapist, I'm the poster child for bilateral knee replacement. Final testament to Dr Palmer, whenever mention to hospital staff Dr P as my surgeon, all said (in their experience) "you're very lucky ... he's THE BEST there is!!
in Inverness, IL |
I have recommended Dr. Palmer and will continue to do so. I have the utmost confidence in his ability and knowledge. Every thing he told me prior to the surgery was right on the mark. If I need another hip, there is only one surgeon I would consult.
Buffalo Grove, IL |
Excellent experience and very good results. Care at Presence St Joseph was good as well.
in Algonquin, IL |
My husband and I have both seen Dr. Palmer for hip and knee replacements. Neighbors recommended him to us. Dr. Palmer and his staff were all we could have hoped for in our quest for an orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Palmer gave us confidence through his expert knowledge, compassion, and easy going style. His staff is much the same, plus very efficient. My husband will soon have another hip replacement with Dr. Palmer. He has given us our quality of life back again to ski, hike, and bike again!
in Algonquin, IL |
Very caring and extremely knowledgeable. I don't worry when he performs my surgery because I know I'm in capable hands. He's with you through the entire healing process.
in Elgin, IL |
I was worried because knee replacement surgery is major. From the beginning RN Lori Compton helped me get started with the arrangements. I soon met Dr. Palmer. He listened to my concerns and helped me understand what was going to be done. Lori took care of all the arrangements and I was on my way. Other than the expected recovery pain the process was easy. Any concerns I had I contacted Lori and they were taken care of promptly. I had the second one done 4 1/2 months later. Good job!
in Crystal Lake, IL |
Much to my surprise, my knee pain was due to hip problem... dr. Palmer took x-rays and we discussed hip surgery and scheduled the surgery. Next time I saw him was day of surgery prior to my procedure. My one complaint was that my post-op appointment was with his nurse practitioner instead of with him... I was somewhat let down by this as I wondered how much damage he saw in my hip.
in Lake In The Hills, IL |
I work in construction and was told I can return to work in four weeks without restriction. After four weeks I was definitely not near ready to return without restriction. It took me nine weeks to return confidently. I think the doctor may be a little too ambitious onthe recovery time. That being said my hip now feels 100% better.
in Barrington, IL |
Dr. Palmer was one of 3 surgeons i visited after an MRI indicated I was a candidate for a total hip replacement. Being in the madical field myself, i did a lot of on line research and consulted with collegues about surgeon outcomes. I was impressed by Dr. Palmers website and the videos he created addressing patient concerns. Great insight into the practice and the man. At my appointment, he was very willing to answer additional questions. Never felt rushed. Demonstrated empathy & confidence.
in Huntley, IL |
I have already referred friends and Neighbors to Dr. Palmer I am so satisfied with the services I received I am planning another service to my knee in the near future and I am using Dr.Palmer
in St. Joe, IN |
Dr. Palmer demonstrated great concern, compassion and understanding besides being a true specialist in his field. Even though his practice is a 4 1/2 hr drive I choose him to do my surgery. This has been one of the best choices that I have ever made. The results have been wonderful and my recovery time has been shorter than others I have spoken with. Lori Compton, Dr. Palmer's nurse navigator is wonderful. She was there for me through the whole process.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Palmer is beyond fantastic! Truly a joint God! I found him through my own research because I needed bilateral hip replacement and wasn't getting anywhere with 3 other orthopedic surgeons whom said "I was too young". I changed over all my primary care and hospital to travel to Elgin to have him evaluate and do my surgery. I have been told by my in home therapist that his approach is amazing and she was very impressed by my recovery and incision site and size.
in Schaumburg, IL |
Great, great, great. Run, don't walk to this doctor if you need a hip replacement.
in Huntley, IL |
I heard his name from my family doctor, friends, neighbors, people at work, even random people when out shopping. I almost felt ready to schedule my hip surgery before actually meeting him. Now that I am recovered, I can see why so many people referred to him.
Have you seen Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO?
Are you Dr. Palmer?

Compare Dr. Palmer

}

Dr. Palmer's Care Philosophy

Dr. Palmer's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Palmer has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Palmer's Board Certifications

University Of Chicago-Pritzker School Of Medicine

Completed in 2002

pittsburg state university

Graduated in 1992

Dr. Palmer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Palmer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement