Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO
Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Elgin, IL. He is 48 years old and has been practicing for 21 years. Dr. Palmer is affiliated with Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - Elgin and Advocate Sherman Hospital.

2350 Royal Blvd

• HealthPlus
  • HealthPlus Amerigroup
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Learn about Dr. Palmer

See how frequently Dr. Palmer performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hip Replacement
Osteoarthritis of Hip
Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

Dr. Palmer's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Palmer "Experience is what makes an expert. My practice is limited to knee and hip replacement surgery. Nothing else. I am fellowship trained in the specialty and for more than a decade I have assisted thousands of patients with the recovery from their pain and disability due to arthritis. I am the regions most experienced anterior hip replacement surgeon and serve as a national instructor teaching other surgeons how to safely perform the procedure. Visit my website at www.thehipandkneecenter.com."

Accredited by: American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery*

• Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Reverse Total Shoulder and Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Separated Femoral Epiphysis Treatment

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Pittsburg State University
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1997
  • Kennedy Memorial Hospital
  • University Of Chicago-Pritzker School Of Medicine
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002

Dr. Palmer has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Palmer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Palmer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Palmer's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Palmer to family and friends
Dr. Palmer's Performance
in Crystal Lake IL |
So easy to talk to. His nurse answered my calls every time. No leaving messages. I was so nervous about the surgery but everything worked out perfectly. I feel like I have been given a second chance.
in Hoffman Estates, IL |
Dr. Palmer is wonderful. He almost makes hip surgery easy. Six hours after surgery I was already walking. The hospital therapist called me a rock star! This is not your grandmothers hip surgery. Dr. Palmer is an expert in anterior hip surgery. The surgery itself doesn't take long, short hospital stay, and you can walk right away. You don't have to worry about how you sleep or sit. Physical therapy helps get back your range of motion. Dr. Palmer is the best!
Branson, MO |
Even though I live 9 hours away I chose Dr Palmer for my anterior hip replacement. My brother highly recommended Dr Palmer after he had both of his hips replaced so I made an appointment and was very impressed with his knowledge, professionalism, confidence and caring attitude. It has been 2 weeks since my surgery and I am walking unassisted and recovering quickly.
Carol Stream, IL |
Young Total Knee replacement patient- 1 year out. I've have a lot of issues in the year. Not that I am blaming the surgery- but the follow up care is HORRIBLE> Dr. Palmer may or may not actually be the one seeing you- might be a "helper". Have to wait a week to even get in- and when I do get an appointment - the wait time is 45-to an hour. EVERY TIME. When I finally walked out of my last appt. i was told he overbooks - and there is nothing they can do. Very frustrating
in Pingree Grove, IL |
I cant say enough about Dr. Palmer or his informative Website. He is very confident in helping you achieve a better quality of life through knee replacement surgery and he delivers. I had my Left Knee replaced by someone else and I can tell you that Dr. Palmers procedure is terrific. The Recovery Time is very fast as long as you follow his instructions to the letter and work hard at Physical Therapy. Stop suffering with your Bone on Bone pain and let Dr. Palmer "put a spring in your step!"
in Elgin, IL |
I've recently had my hip replaced. It's amazing how quickly I've recovered and how I'm pain free. Dr. Palmer did great work and I will recommend him to anyone needing the same procedure.
in Dekalb, IL |
I had a total knee replacement on March 1st and am so happy. I worked very hard in therapy and no lie, it was a bit challenging. I am a heating and air tech. Our trade requires us to twist, bend and kneel. I went back to work around week 8, part time, and "eased" back into my routine. At week 12 I am doing great and seldom have a hint of pain. It gets better every week! Thanks to Dr Palmer and St. Joe's for the best care one could expect. Life is good!!
in Wauconda Il |
Left my house for the hospital - 12 hours late returned with a hew hip. Walked four hours after surgery. Yes the pain does peak around the third day after surgery. It's been two weeks now since my surgery and just some slight swelling. Just do it!
in Carpentersville, IL |
Dr Palmer did a bilateral knee replacement on December 7th I can't believe how great everything went, very little pain hardly any scar and physical therapy went great and I was back to work at 100 percent in 12 weeks and my knees have not felt this good in years I would recommend Him to anyone needing knee replacement surgery . And I would like to add that Dr Palmer and his staff was very good about answering any questions I had at a very timely manner
in Bloomingdale, IL |
You cannot get a better surgeon than Dr. Palmer. He is highly qualified as you can tell by previous reviews. What impressed me the most is his confidence. He is not cocky but very confident in his abilities to do my hip surgery with a quick recovery time and minimal discomfort. There is no other surgeon I would rather have doing this procedure than Dr Palmer
in Woodstock, IL |
Dr. Palmer replaced my right hip 8 days ago. I was walking on my own in 5 days, and driving in 8 days. This was not pain free surgery by any means, but the results are worth it. While Dr. Palmer himself is a spectacular surgeon, his office staff and partners (surgery center and home PT) are dreadful to deal with. Don't expect calls to be returned the same day during recovery. The 24/7 access his website brags about doesn't exist. I felt rushed out on my follow-up visit, after waiting an hour.
in Lake in the Hills, IL |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Palmer to friends and family. I already do. I have heard folks from near and far sing his praises. I was also very touched by his kindness when I saw him in December before my March 1 surgery. The only thing I think could be improved upon is the fact that you never see him again after the surgery. I know how busy he is--9 were done the day I had my hip replacement. However, I am used to seeing the surgeon in recovery or at the post appt. Not enough follow-up.
in Carpentersville, IL |
Did research and now I know why he was very highly recommended. Everything he told me to expect about the outcome and the recovery was right on.
in Wauconda, IL |
I would indeed recommend Dr. Palmer . He replaced both my hips and a knee.
in Huntley, IL |
Dr. Palmer is the only doctor I have considered for my surgeries.
Chicago, IL |
Great experience and recovery time was exactly 1 week and I returned to work walking 6 miles a day for left hip replacement. I was surprised that I had almost no pain after surgery. I actually walked out of the hospital the same day only hours later and out into the parking lot to go home unassisted. It was overall a fantastic process very easy and fast. The entire process from appointment to surgery could not have been made any simpler. I have told everyone I know to go to Dr. P!!!!
in Elgin, IL |
Dr. Palmer did a great service for me with the hip replacement. He is the best.
in Crystal Lake, IL |
Dr. Palmer changed my life ! My hip surgery was such a success, I feel like a new person.
in Dekalb, IL |
Dr Palmer did a great job on both of my operations. I had no pain afterwards. I had about 6 sessions of out patient therapy on both hips as a precaution. I have given Dr Palmer's name too a few friends of mine. I wish Dr Palmer could have seen me after the operations either in the hospital, or on my office visits afterwards. Thanks to everyone on his staff for a great job done.
in Plainfield, IL |
Dr. Palmer was the answer to my prayers! I didn't know anything about his method of hip replacement until I heard an advertisement on the radio one day of "The Knee and Hip Center." I researched it online (VERY informative) and decided to make an appointment. After 4 years of crippling pain, it was now or never! Dr.Palmer was so down to earth and had me feeling quite at ease. He explained everything thoroughly and patiently answered my concerns. I left actually feeling excited to have surgery!
Dekalb, IL |
Best. Ortho. Dr. Ever.!! 2 days with a walker, 4 days witha cane AND in 1 1/2 weeks I was riding my bicycle!??
in Mt Prospect, IL |
3 yrs ago Dr. Palmer replaced my hip. Surgery early AM...walked into house that evening. Dr P hip replacement ... A piece of cake. Recently, Dr Palmer performed bilateral knee replacement (two knees same time). Walked w/o cane in 3 wks. Driving in 4 wks. Per my phy therapist, I'm the poster child for bilateral knee replacement. Final testament to Dr Palmer, whenever mention to hospital staff Dr P as my surgeon, all said (in their experience) "you're very lucky ... he's THE BEST there is!!
in Inverness, IL |
I have recommended Dr. Palmer and will continue to do so. I have the utmost confidence in his ability and knowledge. Every thing he told me prior to the surgery was right on the mark. If I need another hip, there is only one surgeon I would consult.
Buffalo Grove, IL |
Excellent experience and very good results. Care at Presence St Joseph was good as well.
in Algonquin, IL |
My husband and I have both seen Dr. Palmer for hip and knee replacements. Neighbors recommended him to us. Dr. Palmer and his staff were all we could have hoped for in our quest for an orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Palmer gave us confidence through his expert knowledge, compassion, and easy going style. His staff is much the same, plus very efficient. My husband will soon have another hip replacement with Dr. Palmer. He has given us our quality of life back again to ski, hike, and bike again!
in Algonquin, IL |
Very caring and extremely knowledgeable. I don't worry when he performs my surgery because I know I'm in capable hands. He's with you through the entire healing process.
in Elgin, IL |
I was worried because knee replacement surgery is major. From the beginning RN Lori Compton helped me get started with the arrangements. I soon met Dr. Palmer. He listened to my concerns and helped me understand what was going to be done. Lori took care of all the arrangements and I was on my way. Other than the expected recovery pain the process was easy. Any concerns I had I contacted Lori and they were taken care of promptly. I had the second one done 4 1/2 months later. Good job!
in Crystal Lake, IL |
Much to my surprise, my knee pain was due to hip problem... dr. Palmer took x-rays and we discussed hip surgery and scheduled the surgery. Next time I saw him was day of surgery prior to my procedure. My one complaint was that my post-op appointment was with his nurse practitioner instead of with him... I was somewhat let down by this as I wondered how much damage he saw in my hip.
in Lake In The Hills, IL |
I work in construction and was told I can return to work in four weeks without restriction. After four weeks I was definitely not near ready to return without restriction. It took me nine weeks to return confidently. I think the doctor may be a little too ambitious onthe recovery time. That being said my hip now feels 100% better.
in Barrington, IL |
Dr. Palmer was one of 3 surgeons i visited after an MRI indicated I was a candidate for a total hip replacement. Being in the madical field myself, i did a lot of on line research and consulted with collegues about surgeon outcomes. I was impressed by Dr. Palmers website and the videos he created addressing patient concerns. Great insight into the practice and the man. At my appointment, he was very willing to answer additional questions. Never felt rushed. Demonstrated empathy & confidence.
in Huntley, IL |
I have already referred friends and Neighbors to Dr. Palmer I am so satisfied with the services I received I am planning another service to my knee in the near future and I am using Dr.Palmer
in St. Joe, IN |
Dr. Palmer demonstrated great concern, compassion and understanding besides being a true specialist in his field. Even though his practice is a 4 1/2 hr drive I choose him to do my surgery. This has been one of the best choices that I have ever made. The results have been wonderful and my recovery time has been shorter than others I have spoken with. Lori Compton, Dr. Palmer's nurse navigator is wonderful. She was there for me through the whole process.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Palmer is beyond fantastic! Truly a joint God! I found him through my own research because I needed bilateral hip replacement and wasn't getting anywhere with 3 other orthopedic surgeons whom said "I was too young". I changed over all my primary care and hospital to travel to Elgin to have him evaluate and do my surgery. I have been told by my in home therapist that his approach is amazing and she was very impressed by my recovery and incision site and size.
in Schaumburg, IL |
Great, great, great. Run, don't walk to this doctor if you need a hip replacement.
in Huntley, IL |
I heard his name from my family doctor, friends, neighbors, people at work, even random people when out shopping. I almost felt ready to schedule my hip surgery before actually meeting him. Now that I am recovered, I can see why so many people referred to him.
Have you seen Dr. Shawn Palmer, DO?
Are you Dr. Palmer?