Dr. Shaun B. Rai, DMD

Dr. Shaun B. Rai, DMD

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery | Male | 46 years old

Dr. Shaun Rai is an experienced board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Prior to moving to Virginia Beach in 2004, Shaun B. Rai, DMD practiced as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for four years in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. He graduated from Trinity College in Connecticut and Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston, MA. He completed a residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC in 2000. This prestigious and demanding residency program provided Dr. Rai with exceptional training in all aspects of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Shaun B. Rai, DMD is a diplomate of both the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology, and is a member of numerous local and national medical and dental societies. He maintains a busy office-based practice as well and he also has privileges as an attending surgeon at Sentara Leigh Hospital and Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Dr. Shaun B. Rai has devoted his professional career to all aspects of oral and maxillofacial surgery, with an emphasis on dental implantcases, bone grafting surgery, surgical management of impacted teeth, and delivery of the highest quality sedation and anesthesia services in a warm and compassionate manner. To keep informed of the latest developments in oral and maxillofacial surgery, Dr. Rai has always exceeded the continuing education requirements of the state of Virginia. Dr. Shaun B. Rai has always felt that communication with patients and their dentists is of utmost importance and is necessary for a successful outcome and is very honored to have been voted one of the “Top Dentists” in the Hampton Roads area by his peers in Coastal Virginia Magazine in 2013. Dr. Rai is committed to humanitarian efforts and volunteers his time and expertise as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon in service to those less fortunate at the Park Place Dental Clinic in Norfolk, VA, and through the Virginia Dental Association Mission of Mercy programs. Shaun B. Rai, DMD is known for his warm personal demeanor and a passion for the details of oral surgery. He enjoys the unique combination of dentistry, medicine, and highly specialized surgery of the mouth, face, and jaws that make up the day to day life of an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. When Dr. Rai is not caring for patients, he enjoys personal fitness and spending time with his wife and two young sons.Read more

Rai Oral Surgery and Dental Implants

Learn about this Dentist

Exceptional Care Uncompromising StandardsRead more

Personal Bio

Dr. Rai's Experience

Visiting Dr. Rai

Dr. Rai accepts 17 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Rai has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Rai's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Rai to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Rai
Dr. Rai's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (35)
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr Rai made me feel very at ease. I am a high anxiety patient and he took the best care of me and my procedure went great. Thx Dr Rai.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Although she wasn't looking forward to the wisdom teeth extraction and surgical work, Olivia loved Dr. Rai and the entire experience...Loved that it was quick and for the most part, not as painful as she expected. Dr. Rai and the office staff were extremely nice and answered all of our in-office questions and call-in questions as well. Thoroughly impressed Dr. Rai made his own calls and followed up multiple times on Olivia's progress..Wonderful bedside manner. Highly recommend Dr. Rai!!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Excellent experience, a little nervous going in but staff was friendly oral surgeon embraces technology to enhance the experience. After having all four wisdom teeth removed in one setting noticed minimal to no pain, procedure was a breeze, was made aware of potential complications none of which seem to have happened. Again great experience highly recommended
in Portsmouth, VA |
I was a little late for my appointment but the nurses insured me that it was fine. And made the check-in an easy process. They nurse; Deana that help prepare me for surgery was awesome. She helped me to relax while going under anesthesia. Dr. Rai was very great while I was going under. He did an amazing job. I wasn't in a lot of pain as I was expecting to be in. And I was helped all the way through from the beginning to way to my car. I am very pleased with everything.
Virginia Beach, VA |
I can't compliment this office enough. My wisdom tooth extraction was very quick and painless. Dr Rai. and his assistant were very polite and friendly and made me feel comfortable in what is usually an uncomfortable situation.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Thank you for your excellent treatment yesterday. You explained each and every step which put me at ease. Even though I was only having a small procedure, you encouraged me to ask questions if I had any. You also made it very clear that I could contact you after I went home if I had any concerns or questions. Dr. Rai, you and your staff are awesome and I will recommend you to anyone I know who require the services of an oral surgeon. Thank you again for taking such great care of me.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Staff was great!! Hard to imagine how pleasant the experience with Dr. Rai was. All I can say is if you need an Oral Surgeon, Dr. Rai is the one to see!
in Norfolk, VA |
I was so impressed from the moment I walked into the office. I was greeted by name not by one staff member but both at the front desk. As I had another appointment immediately after my consultation that I had mentioned on the phone while scheduling, both staff members mentioned this. I knew from that point on the service and care I was going to receive would be EXCEPTIONAL. I have even received follow up calls from Dr. Rai himself to check on my recovery. Thank you Dr. Rai and your TEAM of Pros!
in Virginia Beach |
Veronica B, Virginia Beach Staff was helpful and explained procedure. Young pregnant staff was amazing. Dr Rai came introduce himself and next thing I remember was waking up to the procedure completely done. My sister came with me and the staff explained everything as far as care after the surgery (do's & don'ts). Thank you
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Great experience. Went in nervous and apprehensive however Jenna and Dr. were both great. Everything was explained and made me feel more comfortable.
in VIRGINIA BEACH |
Dr.Rai and staff took really good care of me while I was there. They did and amazing job taking my 4 wisdom teeth out didn't feel a thing and it was super quick...
in Virginia beach, va |
Dr. Rai's practice takes great care and service. The staff were friendly and courteous, making scheduling easy. During my Phrenectomy procedure, Dr. Rai made sure I was calm and comfortable prior to going under the knife and proceeded with a gentle hand. I had no major discomfort or pain even after. I am extremely pleased with my results.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I have great insurance and they tried to tell me my out of pocket to extract ONE tooth (NOT a Molar,btw) was $928. REALLY??? After having to wait days, then come in with a horrible problem, I guess they thought they had me, but went to a different practice same day on the advice of my dentist and had same tooth extracted for $365. BEWARE!!!!!
Horrible ran office. They had us wait over an hour before we were told that we missed our appt because we took too long to fill out their paperwork. Don't do business that treats patients like this.
Have you seen Dr. Shaun B. Rai, DMD?
Are you Dr. Rai?

• Dental Trauma
  • Jaw Bone Tissue Deterioration
  • Jaw Irregularities
  • Jaw Misalignment Leading to TMJ
  • Malocclusion (Bad Bite)
  • Orofacial Pain

• Teeth Extraction
  • Teeth Whitening
  • Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Recording
  • Traumatic Dental Injury Treatment

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Tufts University

Graduated in 1996

Washington Hospital Center

Completed in 2000

Trinity College Hartford, CT

Graduated in 1992

Dr. Rai has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Rai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Rai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Rai's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Rai

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Rai's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Rai

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Rai says...

Dr. Shaun Rai is an experienced board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Prior to moving to Virginia Beach in 2004, Shaun B. Rai, DMD practiced as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for four years in the metropolitan Washington, DC area.  He graduated from Trinity College in Connecticut and Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston, MA.  He completed a residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC in 2000. This prestigious and demanding residency program provided Dr. Rai with exceptional training in all aspects of oral and maxillofacial surgery.

Dr. Shaun B. Rai has devoted his professional career to all aspects of oral and maxillofacial surgery, with an emphasis on  dental implantcases, bone grafting surgery, surgical management of impacted teeth, and delivery of the highest quality sedation and anesthesia services in a warm and compassionate manner. To keep informed of the latest developments in oral and maxillofacial surgery, Dr. Rai has always exceeded the continuing education requirements of the state of Virginia. Dr. Shaun B. Rai has always felt that communication with patients and their dentists is of utmost importance and is necessary for a successful outcome and is very honored to have been voted one of the “Top Dentists” in the Hampton Roads area by his peers in Coastal Virginia Magazine in 2013.

Dr. Rai is committed to humanitarian efforts and volunteers his time and expertise as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon in service to those less fortunate at the Park Place Dental Clinic in Norfolk, VA, and through the Virginia Dental Association Mission of Mercy programs.

When Dr. Rai is not caring for patients, he enjoys personal fitness and spending time with his wife and two young sons.

Dr. Rai's Care Philosophy