Dr. Shalini Varma, MD

Dr. Shalini Varma, MD

Adult & Adolescent Psychiatry | Female

Shalini Varma MD 701 N Milwaukee Ave Ste 320, Vernon Hills, IL 60061 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Dr. Varma's Experience

93Experience
Match

See how Dr. Varma's experience matches your preferences.

Why It Matters: Board Certifications

• Psychiatrynull

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Other Education

Visiting Dr. Varma

Check out the quality of care at the 6 hospitals where Dr. Varma has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Reviewing Dr. Varma

Dr. Varma's Review Details
      4.3 based on 58 responses
      Experience with Dr. Varma
      Dr. Varma's Office & Staff
        Under 10 minutes (39)
      in Kenosha, Wi |
      Dr. Varma is spectacular in every aspect as a psychiatrist! Not only does she care and get to know her patients but she ensures her treatment plans for all are tailored to her patients needs. She is responsive in communication outside of appointments and is always there for her patients and assists in any way possible. Without her I may not have received the appropriate treatment I needed to healthy. I can't thank her enough and recommend her to all suffering from mental illnesses.
      Kenosha wi |
      Dr Varma is the best. Caring, always available on her cell phone for anything. Appointments and scheduling are easily accommodated. Couldn't ask for a better doctor
      in Lake Villa, IL |
      Before I walked into Dr. Varma's office, I had no clue that I suffered from BiPolar Disorder. I was seeing a different Psychiatrist for depression and PTSD but getting very little relief. Dr. Varma knew I had BiPolar Disorder within 10 minutes, if not right away. I didn't believe it until she gently convinced me during our first appointment. Dr. Varma is also a therapist and spent a year as an Internist. She actually drove to my pharmacy to fix problems with the pharmacist...TWICE!
      in Kenosha, WI |
      Dr. Varma is a caring doctor who helps her patients at all time of the day. My son had a melt down at 9:00 at night and she answered my emails and helped me guide my son to a healthy place. She also answered the pharmacy within a couple hours and called my insurance to get a prior approval for a medicine. It didn't take 2 weeks to get pre-approved. I have recommended her to friends that were looking for a new doctor.
      Poplar Grove, IL |
      Dr Varma was able to see me in two days from when I called! She is thorough and caring. She has unique insights that helped me more in 3 appointments than I had been helped in the past year! I highly recommend her to anyone needing help.
      in Highland Park, IL |
      I find Dr. Varma to be very pleasant and intelligent.. She was quick to evaluate my status. She was able to do this because Dr. Varma understands the complexity of the influences on an individual's feelings of well being. To enhance this understanding she asks informative questions about physical, familial, and emotional issues, in addition to looking at medical records. She even used the Web to ask other doctors their opinions on treatment of a neurological condition I have. I was impressed!
      in Racine, WI |
      Dr. Varma is very friendly and welcoming. She makes you feel comfortable immediately. She is a good listener. She works to help you through the issue at hand with methods practice and discuss in her office. These are things that you are able to do on an ongoing basis at home to help yourself. She explains and describes medications, and how they will affect you. She is efficient and caring, mindful of where you are coming from, and very helpful.
      in Kenosha, WI |
      I was at my wits end. No matter how I advocated my Dr would not listen to my growing concerns with nausea. It became so severe I couldn't leave the house. I became discouraged with Dr's, but then I found Dr. Varma. She saw me as a person and not another set of symptoms. She listened to my concerns and understood why I became so frustrated. Within a month I was back to my busy schedule as a grad student and full time student teacher. I wouldn't be getting ready to graduate without her.
      in Williams Bay, WI |
      Dr. Varma was incredibly responsive to all of my anxiety. She followed up with immediate and appropriate information. I highly recommend Dr. Varma
      in Pleasant Prairie, WI |
      Pros:*Dr. Varma answered the phone right away *She is a smart woman. Cons: *I felt no understanding, compassion, or empathy from Dr. Varma. *As I walked out alone after our appointment, I felt hopeless. *She gave me a note suggesting I try Prozac which blocks one of the metabolizing pipelines for another medication I am taking and causes a toxic reaction. I told myself Someone who can charge $600 an hour MUST be good! I don't know how I came off, but her indifference was such a letdown!!
      in Racine, WI |
      Dr. Varma runs a small, efficient practice and her patients are top priority. She listens, is very perceptive and well prepared. She remembers key points from previous visits and is especially good at tying each visit together so that progress is made. Initially she charged us in advance for the first appt. (which made me nervous), but once we met her and experienced the high quality care, every penny has been worth it. She is responsive to messages too! Highly recommend!!
      in Kenosha, WI |
      I began seeing Dr Varma four months ago after a series of life altering events threw me into a tail spin. She listened with compassion, asked questions and acted quickly to keep me from a complete break down. After I was stabilized, Dr Varma gently helped me to see how ill I had been, plus helped me to take responsibility for my own plan of recovery through healthy lifestyle changes. From the beginning Dr Varma was honest about her charges and that she did not work with insurance companies.
      in Racine, WI |
      Dr. Varma is knowledgeable and willing to suggest possible reasons why symptoms might be related to something other than the obvious. Her knowledge recently suggested a lab test that would not be part of a normal testing panel. The results of that test panel showed an abnormality that otherwise would have most likely gone undiagnosed. She offers easy accessibility via her contact information and is quick to respond to concerns. Appointments can be made easily within a short window of time.
      in Wausau, WI |
      I started seeing Dr. Varma in the past year. While seeing her for ADD, it has changed my life. I've seen huge improvements in the personal and professional realms. My family and friends comment on the positive changes they've seen in me during this time, even without knowing what the underlying change had been in my life. I feel that Dr. Varma is also very focused on patients' outcomes. She went above and beyond in helping me with an unrelated issue just because she cared so much.
      in Omaha, NE |
      I BELIEVE DR VARMA IS UNETHICAL IN HER BILLING PRACTICES. OTHERS HAVE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCE AS I DID. I BELIEVE DR. VARMA IS MOST INTERESTED IN HER FINANCIAL GAIN AND I HAVE WRITTEN TO THE STATE MEDICAL ASSOC. THERE ARE MANY GOOD PSYCHIATRISTS IN THE FIELD. SEARCH ONE OF THEM OUT AND STAY CLEAR OF DR. VARMA.
      in Antioch, IL |
      Dr. Varma is the best psychiatrist I have ever had and trust me there were a lot. She is the first physician that truly understands my illnesses and gives me hope to live with and manage my mental conditions. I feel totally empowered after our visits. Dr. Varma exudes confidence. I would highly recommend Dr. Varma to anyone suffering from a mental illness.
      New Smyrna Beach, FL |
      Dr. Varma is great! She is a really good listener and knew exactly how to help me. I was feeling better after only one visit with her. I would highly recommend her! :)
      Have you seen Dr. Varma?
      Are you Dr. Varma? Post a response on your personalized profile.

Compare Dr. Varma

• Telepsychiatry

Why It Matters: Dr. Varma's Board Certifications

• Psychiatry

• Adjustment Disorder
      • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
      • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
      • Bipolar Disorder
      • Depression
      • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
      • Major Depressive Disorder
      • Mood Disorders
      • Nondependent Cocaine Abuse
      • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
      • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
      • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
      • Opioid Dependence
      • Panic Attack
      • Panic Disorder
      • Personality Disorders
      • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
      • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
      • Schizophrenia
      • Tobacco Use Disorder

• Family Psychotherapy
      • Life Coaching
      • Medication Management
      • Psychotherapy Services

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Rutgers Med Sch

Graduated in 2003

Southern Illinois University School Of Medicine

Completed in 2004

Advocate Lutheran General Hospital

Completed in 2009

Drew University Med Sci

Graduated in 1999

Dr. Varma has no media or publications listed.

• Hindi
      ×

Dr. Varma's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Adult & Adolescent Psychiatry
      • Board certified in Psychiatry
      ×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Varma

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Varma's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
      Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
      Staff friendliness and courteousness
      Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)

Experience with Dr. Varma

Level of trust in provider's decisions
      How well provider explains medical condition(s)
      How well provider listens and answers questions
      Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Varma's Care Philosophy

I want to help you attain the goal of optimizing your life at any age. Your illnesses are treatable. Why should your mental illness keep you reaching your goals? YOU are important and will always be priority #1. I provide medication and therapy. You will have an active role in your treatment. I want to obtain a clear understanding of YOU as the WHOLE person, not just a BAG of symptoms. I am able to evaluate patients WITHIN ONE WEEK for timely psychiatric evaluation.