Dr. Shalini Chawla, MD

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry | Female

Dr. Shalini Chawla, MD

Two early personal experiences had significant influence on my desire to become a psychiatrist for adults and children. One was volunteering at Loyola University Hospital on the Pediatrics unit, where I witnessed how giving the right help with the most care at the right time would change lives.The other experience was in being favored as the aunt my nieces and nephews related to most easily. Because I listened without making them feel they were in trouble or being punished, they were able to talk comfortably with me.The belief in giving help with deep caring, and my style of listening, form the soul of my practice today. I see all patients as unique in their own way, and I value the privilege of giving the best care that my private practice in psychiatric medicine can provide.This is why patients love coming to Midwest Wellness Center.Individualized care is as important to me as it is to you because successful treatment depends on understanding your needs and circumstances. I collaborate with you, your therapist, your primary care provider, and your child’s school when necessary, to develop a treatment plan that fits your needs and achieves your goals.Not everyone needs or wants psychiatric medication. I advise what I see would be best – I work to resolve as much as possible without meds. I encourage you to make your own decisions regarding medication, with my input.I have a good working relationship with my patients because I care and I listen. Patients tell me they feel heard. I do spend a lot of time with my patients -- I’m accessible by email, and I do return phone calls.My specific qualifications to provide you with the best possible care include: Rush University Medical Center graduate Medical Director, Inpatient Psychiatry Vice Chair, Department of Psychiatry Director of Medical Education Assistant Clinical Professor, Rosalind Franklin University Fellowship residential and specialized school settings.

...See Less

Dr. Chawla's Care Philosophy

At Midwest Wellness Center Associates Ltd. we work with adults, teens, and children as individuals, couples, or families to provide the best psychiatric and psychotherapeutic services in the Western Suburbs.

Dr. Chawla's Experience

See how Dr. Chawla's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Chawla

Dr. Chawla accepts 15 insurance carriers

Dr. Chawla is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Chawla has admitting privileges.

Dr. Chawla's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chawla to family and friends
2.9
Dr. Chawla's Performance
Chicago, IL |
I saw Dr. Chawla for 6 months. In that time she ran between 40 minutes to an hour late for each appointment. Her staff never call ahead to let me know that she was running late, and they never apologized for the wait. She does not give out a direct phone number, only the number to her office locations, neither of which have answering services set up when the office is closed. So, if you have an emergency, or would like to leave any message outside of office hours you are not able to.
Woodridge, IL |
I 100% agree with those who spoke of her awful bedside manner. She does not stand up, greet you, and barely looks at you. She basically told me my previous doctors were medicating me wrong, when I feel the best I have ever felt on what they prescribed. I wish there was someone else I could notify, but I really wanted to leave a review for the next person to be aware.
Chicago, IL |
Dr. Chawla is talented. If you feel intimidated by her steely personality, that's normal. I've been seeing her for 3 years, and I was a little intimidated by her demeanor at first. But she's a psychiatrist, not a therapist - big difference. While manifesting a no-nonsense, all-business style may seem cold, she's sharp, intuitive, reliable, and has impeccable foresight. Where she may lack in warmth, she's the rare breed of competency you want in your corner when the chips are down. Guaranteed.
Chicago, IL |
Dr.Chawlas office is unorganized. It's typical to wait 30min to an hour past your scheduled appointment. Then when your with her it's a rushed appointment with very few questions or engagement. If you need a refill it takes awhile plus they charge you. If your in need of medical records or anything else good luck.
Frankfort, IL |
My overall impression was that Dr Chawla did not much care about getting to know me or my issues and was very cold, non-informative, almost condescending. She seemed almost bothered that I was there and did not take any time to explain the process. Her overall attitude was one of what's wrong with you, why don't you just try X. I went specifically because she mentions dealing with chronic pain and she was clueless about the issue. I do not believe the list of her specialties is accurate.
Willowbrook, IL |
I was a patient of Dr.Chawla for almost 2 years. Overall, my experience with her and her counseling staff was not satisfactory. Her affect was very flat, she didn't show much interest in me, or any emotion and always looked like she was about to fall asleep. In addition, after having been a patient for about 1 and 1/2 years and her having prescribed 2 anti-depressants for me, during one of our sessions she asked me Do you think you're depressed? Duh!! Really? Maybe she's better with children.
DOWNERS GROVE |
Terrible bedside manner. She barely looks up from her laptop during appointments, rarely smiles. First appointment, she did not even stand up, shake hands or introduce herself. As I described daughters behavior, she seemed shocked and confused. What kind of psychiatrist reacts this way?? In front of my child??!!
Have you seen Dr. Shalini Chawla, MD?
Are you Dr. Chawla?

Compare Dr. Chawla

Dr. Chawla says...

Dr. Chawla's Care Philosophy

Dr. Chawla's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychiatry

Dr. Chawla has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Chawla's Board Certifications

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Abnormal Female Sexual Function
  • Acute Stress Disorder (ASD)
  • Addiction
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Adolescent Depression
  • Adult Panic Anxiety Syndrome
  • Agitated Depression
  • Alcohol Related Disorders
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholic Paranoia
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Amphetamine and Other Psychostimulant Dependence
  • Anorexia
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Asperger Syndrome
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Attention Problems
  • Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder
  • Cocaine Addiction
  • Conduct Disorder
  • Conversion Disorder
  • Cyclothymia (Chronic Mood Disorder)
  • Dementia
  • Dissociative Disorder
  • Dissociative, Conversion, and Factitious Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Eating Disorders
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Opioid Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Normal Baby Development
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Palpitations
  • Panic Attack
  • Panic Disorder
  • Panic Disorder With Agorapobia
  • Panic Disorder Without Agorapobia
  • Paroxysmal Nocturnal Dyspnea
  • Pediatric Attention Deficit (ADD)
  • Pediatric Behavior Disorders
  • Pediatric Diseases
  • Pediatric Trauma
  • Personality Disorders
  • Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)
  • Phobia
  • Pica
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Postpartum Depression

Loyola University of Chicago / Stritch School of Medicine

Graduated in 1996

• Hindi
  • Punjabi

Dr. Chawla does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chawla and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry
  • Psychology
  • Psychotherapy

• Adolescent Counseling
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Outpatient Psychiatry
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Psychotherapy and Psychophysiological Therapy (incl. Biofeedback)
  • Well Baby Care