Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Seyed Kalantar, MD
Dr. Seyed Babak Kalantar is an Associate Professor in the Georgetown Department of Orthopedics and Chief of the Division of Spinal Surgery. He is co-director of the Medstar Spine Center. He earned his undergraduate education at the University of Virginia where he graduated with a bachelor of arts and was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. During his time there, he spent a semester living and studying in Spain and is fluent Spanish speaker. Dr. Kalantar attended Eastern Virginia Medical School for his medical training where he was initiated into the alpha omega alpha national honor society for medicine, an honor reserved for top academic 5% of each medical school class. After medical school, he completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. As a resident he was selected by his peers and faculty to receive the Bronze Hammer Award for orthopaedic excellence as the outstanding resident of his class. As a recognition of having earned the highest cumulative average on his in training examinations, Dr. Kalantar also received the Leonard Marmor surgical arthritis foundation award for academic excellence. Dr. Kalantar then did a Spinal Surgery subspecialty training fellowship at Emory University.

3800 Reservoir Rd NW

• Community Health Choice
  • CoreSource
  • Coventry Health Care of Delaware

Learn about Dr. Kalantar

Dr. Kalantar is dedicated to providing his patients with the highest quality of medical care and focused in meeting your individual needs. He is committed to ensuring that every patient and their family have a thorough understanding of their conditions and treatment options. His goal is to return you to an active lifestyle and afford pain relief as safely and quickly as possible

Dr. Kalantar's Experience

Dr. Kalantar's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Broken Neck
  • Cervical Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Pseudoarthrosis
  • Radiculitis
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

• Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Plating and Fusion
  • Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (ALIF)
  • Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoplasty
  • Lumbar Fusion
  • Lumbar Laminectomy
  • Lumbar Spine Surgery
  • Microsurgical Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Neck Surgery
  • Posterior Lumbar Fusion With Robotic Assistance
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Discectomy
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstruction
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Surgery
  • XLIF® (eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion) Procedure

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for District of Columbia.

• University Of Virginia
  • Baylor Col Of Med
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009
  • Emory U Spine Ctr
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010

Dr. Kalantar has no media or publications listed.

• Farsi

Dr. Kalantar does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kalantar and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kalantar's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kalantar to family and friends
Dr. Kalantar's Performance
in Winchester, VA |
better than the best. i've wasted many, many years with other doctors in the DC area. dr kalantar found/diagnosed my problem, offered a procedure as a possible remedy, and recovery is underway. i will highly recommend.
in Mount Airy, MD |
After extensive research on medical professionals, I decided to seek care from Dr. Kalantar. It meant a lot to me that he had personally experienced severe back pain and had spinal fusion surgery at a young age. Once I met with Dr. K I was convinced that I made the best selection. I had been experiencing debilitating back pain for decades. Dr Kalantar is attentive and actually listens to me as a patient. Frankly, I believe the surgery he performed will greatly improve my quality of life.
in Alexandria, VA |
I had an excellent experience with Dr. Kalantar and his staff. He quickly identified my problem and scheduled surgery. I am currently recovering and pleased with the results. Dr. Kalantar is a very talented orthopedic surgeon who would recommend to friends.
in Gaithersburg, MD |
You will not find a better spinal surgeon than Dr. Kalantar...he is the very best! And a good man too! Dr. Kalantar has had spinal surgery himself so he knows all about the entire process of being a patient. I cannot say enough about how wonderful and skilled he is.
Bethesda, MD |
Dr. Kalantar is an outstanding surgeon, and the other medical personnel and staff at Georgetown Hospital are excellent.
in Falls Church, VA |
We had asked for a recommendation from several physicians both here and from our previous home. The group at this location were highly recommended and Dr Kalantar was specifically recommended by an orthopedic surgeon we knew locally. The Dr's grasp of my condition and his confidence that he could alleviate my pain were very reassuring. He was absolutely correct to be confident!
in Upper Marlboro, MD |
I had a lumbar fusion in my lower back December of 2016 after dealing with pain for over 5 years. Dr. Kalantar was meticulous in is approach which included pain management prior to surgery which I felt was an unselfish approach. During this time he was still very hands on. When it came time to decide on surgery Dr. Kalantar’s experience and success was advantageous in helping me make the right decision to have the surgery. Dr. Kalantar and his staff at Chevy Chase are phenomenal!
I've always had issues with my back and seen many doctors for it. Dr Kalantar is bottom down a great doctor. He listens to your issues and takes the time to answer them. He performed a spine fuahion on me and it has been almost 2 months, the outcome so far is great.
in arlington, va |
.my experience with Dr. Plantar has been excellent in every way. He and his office staff were always friendly and helpful. My experience before, during, and after surgery has been excellent.
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Kalantar is truly one of the best doctors I've ever seen, and I've seen so many because of various health conditions. He really takes time to explain in laymen's terms what's going on with your body (in my case my lower spine), and what will happen if you choose to have surgery. I've had an excellent time with him in my recovery as well, and he and his nurse work as a great team to answer any questions you might have quickly. I can't recommend him highly enough.
Washington, DC |
I have been a patient of Dr. Kalantar's since 2011. I have the back of 70 year old. We have worked our way through p/t (the first couple worked), pain management & surgery. My surgery went very well and I have discovered my toes again!! I have been pain free. My back gets tired but I know my limits (which are increasing daily). Thanks Dr. Kalantar and your team for making me better!! For urgent appts, make sure you contact his office directly!
in Silver Spring, MD |
Dr Kalantar preformed a micro discectomy on me earlier this year and I went from constant severe pain to almost none at all. Not only is he a good surgeon but after 13 years of treatment by other doctors, Kalantar was the only one willing to fix the problem with surgery. He explained the differences between spinal chord vs. spinal column vs spinal roots and had statistics for the surgery that applied directly to me given my health record. Now I can enjoy a much better quality of life.
in Fairfax, VA |
Dr. Kalantar is the finest surgeon I have met, and made a fundamental difference in my life. I have degenerative cervical spinal disease and it was surgically corrected in a way that is returning me to a normal and almost pain-free life. He developed a personalized treatment plan, using state-of-the art technology, and always treated me with respect and dignity. His goal is to not just focus on the neurological issues, but make his patients whole again.
Fairfax, VA |
I have been on a years' long journey of pain/disappointing consultations from many ortho and neuro spine surgeons. Dr. K. was the first to order a test for Vitamin D deficiency to determine why my previous surgeries had not healed. He also ordered a hip MRI to get to the source of my pain which I had experienced for many years. He took the time to treat me by listening as a Doctor first, and he made me a priority, to fix the mess left by one of his colleagues - a Medstar neuro spine surgeon.
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Kalantar's skill as a surgeon is exceptional. I had cervical spine surgery and the surgery and recovery were beyond expectations. His communication with me during visits has been comfortable with his attention and time focused on me. He has a calming affect when discussing treatment options. I leave with answers to my questions. Staff are pleasant and personable.
Vienna, VA |
Dr Kalantar is a brilliant Dr. He was able to diagnose what was causing a nerve pain in my leg due to a problem with a previous lumbar fusion that my former Dr was unable to diagnose! He explained that after a spinal fusion a CT scan is needed and not an MRI as an MRI creates shadowing that clouds the image due to the metal in the spine. My previous Dr did not seem to know that fact!
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Kalantar and his associates led me through this process, explaining all my options before proceeding. Once I decided on surgery for my lower back and leg pain, the process went smoothly and orderly throughout. I have no complaints about my treatment.
Washington, DC |
great surgeon! he really cared about how I was doing and not just until the surgery. he was very accessible and involved in my recovery. great bedside matter. makes you feel like you are his only patient. may have to wait sometimes but thats because he spends so much time with each patient.
Upper Marlboro, MD |
Double books. Prepare for a long wait with no explanation or apology.
I'm so sorry about your experience. There is no excuse in making you wait and not providing an explanation or apology. I pride myself in giving patients the full time they need but that shouldn't be at the cost of making you or anyone wait as long as you had. There are reasons (not excuses). I typically don't overbook but had to add two emergency evaluations on January 5th that very much delayed the day. Again, Im very sorry for your trouble and appreciate the feedback.
in La Plata, MD |
Dr. S. Babek Kalantar is just the most knowledgeable, caring, and skilled physician, tops in his field, my opinion. On Feb. 24, 2016, in Georgetown Hospital, he performed a "less invasive" surgery..L4-S1 laminectomy w/decompression of nerves for radiating leg pain in addition to a L4-S1 posterior instrumented fusion w/interbody cages since I had abnormal motion (instability) w/months of unundescribable, excruciating pain. Since surgery, I am/have been pain free thanks to this wonderful DR.
in Alexandria, VA |
I feel so lucky to have found Dr Kalantar. He is not only a talented surgeon, but a tremendously caring and compassionate doctor. From my first meeting with him, he treated me like one, not one of many. During my surgery and hospitalization, he and his whole team demonstrated genuine caring, and always had time to talk to me.They helped me understand how things were going and patiently answer my questions and concerns. I am looking forward to healing completely and having an active life!
in Leonardtown, MD |
Dr. Kalantar is a brilliant surgeon and a compassionate and funny person. His bedside manner is extremely good, and he teats all of his patients very well. Many surgeons lack bedside manner, but not Dr. Kalantar. I truly consider him a friend as much as my surgeon.
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Kalantar operated on me in September and I was very pleased with the result. Prior to surgery he explained everything in a very patient manner. I have had 2 follow up visits and he is equally patient; he answers questions, shows genuine concern, and is not in a rush at all.
Have you seen Dr. Seyed Kalantar, MD?

Visit Dr. Kalantar

• Coventry Health Care of Delaware
    Coventry Health Care of Delaware PPO
    Emblem Health
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Husky Health
  • inHealth
  • INTotal Health
    Medicaid
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medica