Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 44

Neurosurgery

Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA and has over 16 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from TULANE UNIV SCH OF MED in 2006. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Cypress Pointe Surgical Hospital and Forrest General Hospital. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD

Ochsner Medical Center CAR

16777 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Koga is affiliated with Our Lady Of The Lake Surgical Hospital Slidell, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Save up to 80% on prescriptions

Optum Perks and Healthgrades are subsidiaries of RVO Health.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Louisiana

Check Dr. Koga's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Koga's Top Procedures and Conditions

Low Back Pain

Dr. Koga treats Low Back Pain more than 91% of his peers

Dr. Koga treats this condition more than 91% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
high

Dr. Koga treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 90% of his peers

Dr. Koga treats this condition more than 90% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care
Osteoarthritis of Spine

• Carotid Artery Disease
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Central Nervous System Lymphoma
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Chiari Malformation Type 1
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia

Dr. Koga accepts

Dr. Koga accepts the following insurance:

AvMed

Dr. Koga's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Koga

4.5

Excellent Neurosurgeon
Dr. Koga is one of the best doctors I've ever had the pleasure to know. After three cervical fusions, Dr. Koga had to go in and make some repairs and fuse another disc, knowing that I would have to have a posterior fusion down the road. I initially went to him for a second surgical opinion and after spending almost an hour with him educating me about my complicated neck issues, I hired him on the spot. Three months ago he completed the posterior cervical surgery and as another neurosurgeon friend of mine said to me while analyzing my films, "Dr. Koga could not have done a more perfect job". Dr. Koga's staff is amazing and extremely professional. I've never had to wait for anything!! His PA, Catherine is one of the smartest women I've ever met and both her and Dr. Koga have excellent bedside manners, which is rare for neurosurgeons. He's a phenomenal surgeon that I would recommend to anyone.
Patrick Taylor – Jul 13, 2022
Best doctor ever
My 24 year old daughter had a spine procedure due to a car accident. If it was possible I would rate Dr Koga with 10 stars Without a doubt one of the best specialists Thank you
Ioan seicean – Jul 05, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Dr Koga saved our life!! So approachable and uplifting. He made our problems seem manageable
Julie king – Jun 02, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Very nice mix of intelligence and compassion. Not only treating my problem but myself as an entire person as well.
Family of V. King – Jun 02, 2022
Excellent Neurosurgeon!
Dr. Sebastian Koga was my surgeon and he successfully removed 100% of my meningioma on February 21, 2022. I traveled from Memphis, TN to have this brain surgery with Dr. Koga because he truly is an amazing skull base surgeon. His patience and motivation have been shown to be above and beyond. Everything was wonderful from beginning to end: office staff, surgery, and ICU. I was so scared about the surgery and how my hair will look after, but I couldn’t believe it when he uncovered my head because my hair looked perfect. The incision was performed in a very precise manner that it left minimal scarring after, and now basically unnoticeable. Post-surgery and after a few weeks of recovery, I was able to progressively start working and now I feel almost fully recovered. I am thankful and grateful for Dr. Koga’s work. He is an excellent doctor with a great team, excellent communication throughout and very accessible.
MARIA POPA – Apr 30, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Dr Koga & his staff are very personable & caring. Dr. Koga spent unhurried, time explaining medical issue and expected outcome with surgical intervention. I was a patient 6 years prior for an unrelated issue, Dr. Koga was the only surgeon to recommend conservative interventions & not surgery at that time (condition continues to be controlled with non surgical intervention).
Jan 26, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Koga, Katherine (PA-C) and their entire team! I have been a satisfied patient of Dr. Koga's since early 2016, when he first started treating me for Degenerative Disk Disease & Cervical Myelopathy & Radiculopathy. Dr. Koga has completed two successful spinal fusion surgeries on me, one in Dec-2016, (Fusion of C5-C6) and most recently in Nov-2021, (Fusion of C3-C7). My wife and I especially appreciate Dr. Koga and Katherine (PA-C) taking the extra time to fully explain my prognosis, treatment options and post surgery progress. His entire team of professionals have been nothing but curtious and helpful. Most importantly, both of my surgeries provided me immediate relief from my extreme pain.
  • Long wait times
GC Johnson – Dec 22, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I could never recommend this surgeon.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jun 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Dr. Koga was incredible. Knowledgeable, sensitive, informative… I immediately felt at ease and felt confident in my receiving expert medical care. It’s rare to find a doctor that combines such personal touches and care for a patient as a person with outstanding quality of medical care. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for a specialist.
Tatiana – Jun 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I consulted Dr. Koga for a difficult medical problem. He took the time to explain in detail the options I have including not having surgery and answered all the questions I had. Very pleasant personality. I chose to have surgery at a later date and I am grateful that he explained the options in such a way that made it easier for me to make my mind up. An exceptional clinician. You will not be disappointed regardless of the decision you make, surgery or no surgery
Radu M – May 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I was diagnosed with an intracranial meningioma behind my left ear. Dr Koga and his staff were very professional and kind. Being told you have a brain tumor is terrifying, but they were able to inform me of my options in a way that comforted me. My family and I were able to ask as many questions as we needed to feel secure with the upcoming surgery and my recovery. I'm a 43 year old married woman with 2 teenage children, so it was also incredibly helpful being able to have the surgery performed so close to home. I was also pleased that Dr Koga not only removed the tumor completely, he did so in a way which resulted in quick healing with very little trauma or scarring. We've all been so pleased with my progress. You would never even know I had brain surgery only a month ago. Truly miraculous and we're so grateful for Dr Koga and his staff.
Nichole Ducros – Apr 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Very nice and friendly doctor that took the time to sit down and go over your images discussing and showing in full detail what causing the problem and what needs to be done to prolong a good quality of life. He was the first doctor I’ve seen that has gone through imaging with me like that...most doctors just come in and tell you oh you have 3 bulging disc in your neck and this is whats wrong with your back never showing you even one image. Dr. Koga will show you on the imaging what’s wrong and where it’s at and let you know what he feels will give you the best relief and let you make your mind up on what you want to do. His assistant is also very nice, friendly and takes just as much time showing you your images and discussing what going on.
Julius Gaudet – Dec 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I could never recommend a doctor more highly. He and his team are so helpful and informative. He is a brilliant surgeon who can help a patient understand the procedure (which in my case was quite complicated). His team was very efficient in arranging all of the pre-op and post-op appointments. I would and already have recommended him to family and friends.
James Boyd – Dec 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Dr. Koga is an excellent surgeon. This was my 3rd surgery with him this time I had a fusion of L-3 and L-4 and he removed a cyst in my spinal canal that was compressing my nerves and my root nerve. For 3 years prior to the surgery, I had pain in my lower back that went around my hip and down the front of my right leg. Apparently, the cyst was causing the problem, one week following the surgery I am pain-free of the aforementioned pain. I have recommended him in the past and will continue to recommend him.
Oct 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I couldn’t possibly explain what this surgery did for me. I am four weeks post surgery and am feeling so much better. I appreciate what Dr. Koga did for me. I had what is know as a Chiari malformation. For years I didn’t know what was happening to me, I just knew I couldn’t explain it and other physicians thought I was crazy. Dr. Koga did not waste any time. After he found out what was wrong and suggested surgery, I knew it had to be done. I have heard horrible stories about what happens when Chiari goes undetected. I’m just grateful that for the first time someone understood my pain. He is an amazing doctor and he has an awesome staff.
Kimberly Cosey Watts – Oct 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I had a microdiskectomy with dr koga. After 3 months of pain at a level 10 or higher, dr koga got me out of pain with an outpatient surgery. His staff is amazing! They were all so friendly. I would highly recommend him to anyone!
Oct 09, 2020
5 stars and something Very knowledgeable
V gorbunov – Aug 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Dr. Koga performed a triple laminectomy on my lower spine and three months later he replaced my C-5 disc in my neck with a Titanium disc. Both surgeries were a complete success with no side effects. I had seen 4 neurosurgeons prior to meeting with Dr. Koga the 4 other surgeons wanted to put rods and cages in my neck but Dr. Koga recommended the Titanium disc which was the best solution. After just 2 weeks it was like new, no collars to wear, no fusions, and no scars. It has been a couple of years since the surgeries and everything is fine no pain and I have to stop and think that I ever had those two surgeries. Dr. Koga is the best neurosurgeon and I highly recommend him.
Joseph Eugene Martin – Jul 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
Dr. Koga performed two surgeries on me the first was a triple laminectomy on my lower back with no fusions, wires or cages it was a complete success. Three months later he removed my C-5 disc and replaced it with a titanium disc. Both of these surgeries were performed in 2015 and have been successful with no problems. I highly recommend him as a great neurosurgeon. He is a perfectionist and some of the lazy nurses that work with him complain about him because they want to do short cuts. I would rather have a perfectionist surgeon than a lazy nurse.
Joseph Martin – Oct 03, 2019
So glad to hear it! Thank you for taking the time...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?
I was diagnosed with a brain bleed. I was assigned to Dr. Koga at the ER. Saw Dr. Koga on 7/3/19. He said he wouldn't know if I had cancer unless he performed brain surgery. He scheduled it for 8/13/19. After completing MRI, chest x-ray, EKG, blood test for surgery and clearance from my regular doctor, I called the office to let them know. I was told Dr, Koga's nurse would call me back. I never heard back from her. On the second day, I never heard from anyone again. I personally went to his office to deliver information. His nurse informed us Dr. Koga would not be able to do surgery on 8/13/19. There were various excuses given, such as personal days, busy, etc. The office manager called the next day and said he couldn't operate until September. Never heard back . Thank GOD, I went to a different neurosurgeon. He could tell I didn't have cancer from MRI's, CT scans. No surgery necessary. My new neurosurgeon was great. I hope this helps someone else avoid unnecessary surgery
Gerald Abney – Sep 09, 2019
Hi, we're very concerned to hear about this...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sebastian Koga, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Koga?