Dr. Scott Standard, MD

Dr. Scott Standard, MD

Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Scott Standard, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Nashville, TN. He is 54 years old and has been practicing for 28 years. Read his story

2011 Murphy Ave Ste 301

Nashville, TN 37203

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee

Learn about Dr. Standard

See how frequently Dr. Standard performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Cervical Spine Myelopathy
Spinal Stenosis
Spine Disorders

Dr. Standard's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Standard's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Standard "Raised in Atlanta, GA, Dr. Standard chose the practice of medicine at an early age. Working at the side of his uncle, Dr. Carl Hartrampf, a pioneer in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, he was inspired by the miraculous changes possible through skilled surgery. While at Princeton, Dr. Standard studied under Nobel prize winning neuroscientists, choosing a career in Neurosurgery graduating Cum Laude. After studying at Oxford University and London's prestigious Queen's Square Neurological institute in London, he completed his residency at Vanderbilt University. While a resident, Dr. Standard completed a Fellowship in Neuro-endovascular Surgery, pioneering several of the early techniques in endovascular repair of brain aneurysms and doing original research in the Toshiba Vascular Laboratory in Buffalo, New York. After graduating residency and fellowship, Dr. Standard was on faculty at Vanderbilt University for several years before joining the practice of Neurosurgery at St. Thomas. He has been at St. Thomas Hospital for 20 years, serving as Chairman of Neurosurgery for the past 10 years. He is also on the board of St. Thomas Health Services, which directs the care of the regional hospitals. He was instrumental in developing the St. Thomas stroke program as well as founding the Hospital for Special Surgery. Dr. Standard is married and has three sons living in Nashville and enjoys hiking, cycling and running. In his spare time, he is the Scoutmaster of Troop 92, a thriving Boy Scout troop building character into young men for the future. Recently, he led an expedition of 25 on a backpacking trip of over 100 miles in the rugged, beautiful New Mexico backcountry. His Christian faith is central to his love for his patients and his life mission. As a member of First Presbyterian Church, he co-teaches the High School Sunday School and participates in local and international mission trips. He is on the board of the Atlanta Youth Project, a Christian ministry for inner city youth in Atlanta which sponsors a free K-12 private school, the Atlanta Youth Academy, as well as God's Farm which hosts over 5000 inner city kids for summer day camp."

This content was provided by Dr. Standard "The Howell Allen Clinic is dedicated to excellence in patient care through the comprehensive evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the brain, spinal cord, and spinal and peripheral nerves.

We are committed to providing exceptional clinical care and service, utilizing the latest advances in neurological surgery. Our patients benefit from minimally invasive procedures, smaller incisions and accelerated recovery periods.

Graduates of the nation's best medical schools and neurosurgical training programs, our surgeons are credentialed and board-certified at the highest levels of professional achievement, resulting in unparalleled expertise in the field of neurosurgery."

• Neurosurgery

• Brain Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Intracranial Vessel Angioplasty and Stenting
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• Princeton University
  • Vanderbilt University School Med
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1996
  • University At Buffalo State University Of New York
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1994

Dr. Standard has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Standard does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Standard and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Standard's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Standard to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Standard's Performance
in Nashville, TN |
I was in a lot of pain after injuring my back and had tried everything I knew to avoid having surgery, because I had heard that back surgery was seldom successful. By the time I went to see Dr. Standard, I was desperate for relief. He put my mind at ease with his calm, low-key manner as he told me about the surgery I needed. He said he had had the surgery himself, that it was not difficult, and that he had performed a lot of them. Dr. Standard fixed my back problem, and my pain is now gone!
in Nashville, TN |
Dr Standard operated on my back and I had immediate relief. He has a caring bedside manner and his office staff was helpful explaining test results and follow care. His secretary helped me get my work papers in order for this to run smoothly during my recovery time. That was one thing off my list of worries as I focused on healing. I would recommend Dr Standard to anyone and everyone.
in Mount Juliet |
Dr.Standard was very professional and caring with my initial visit. He was also very kind during my stay in the hospital. My follow up visit he was extremely kind and listened to my questions. I would highly recommend Dr.Standard without hesitation.
in Kingston Springs, TN |
Dr. Standard performed a FAILED SURGERY on me that put me out of work for 2 months. My follow up visit he did not know who I was. He told me I needed a follow up MRI & when I asked him if I needed another one aside from the one I had 2 weeks prior Dr. Standard got angry with me because ends up his new office staff started a new chart on me which I was unaware of. His solution to my failed surgery was to have more injections. I do not recommend this Doctor!
in Greenbrier, TN |
Dr. Standard and his staff are the best! No wait time in lobby and maybe 5 minutes in exam room. He listened to my concerns and problems and immediately addressed them. My progress and healing has already began. Thanks to everyone there!
Dr Standard is kind and will make time for you unlike other doctors. However my surgery did nothing for me I laid in bed for 6 weeks and 3 months later have neuropathy and no relief. I'm EXTREMLY disappointed in my surgery. I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE AND BE ABLE TO WALK. No relief!!! Dr. Standards office staff is the worse I have ever encountered. Also, his secretaries will try to answer medical questions and not ask him and then contradict each other.
in Hartsville Tn |
Immediate relief post-op. He is very knowledgable, and has a kind bedside manner! I recommend Dr. Standard to anyone who may have painful back issues ??
Have you seen Dr. Scott Standard, MD?
Are you Dr. Standard?