Dr. Scott McClure, MD

Psychiatry | Male

Scott H McClure MD 90 S Cascade Ave Ste 1020 Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Get Directions
Dr. Scott McClure, MD
Dr. Scott McClure, MD is a psychiatry doctor who practices in Colorado Springs, CO. He is 68 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Dr. McClure is affiliated with Penrose-St. Francis Health Services.

Dr. McClure's Care Philosophy

Although medications can be an important part of treatment, my treatment philosophy emphasizes a deeper understanding of the whole person, which is based in my psychoanalytically oriented psychotherapy training. Therefore, my diagnostic intake sessions are lengthy, and every so-called "medication management" followup presents an opportunity to enhance our understanding of your complete life situation. People respond much better to treatment when they feel truly understood as a person, rather than as a "diagnostic entity". Of course, this requires extra time and attention to detail...which means that I am not a participating provider for any insurance company. My billing clerk will bill your insurance for you, but you will be expected to pay for each session in full at the time of service. PPO plans will usually send you a check to cover part of the fee, but an HMO, Medicaid or Medicare will not.

Dr. McClure's Experience

See how Dr. McClure's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. McClure

Dr. McClure is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. McClure has admitting privileges.

Dr. McClure's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McClure to family and friends
    4.3
    Dr. McClure's Performance
    i went to Dr. McClure to help my mental illness of extreme anxiety. He prescribed a very addictive drug spent 20 minutes with me on one occasion. Since then, his lack of monitoring, his lack of compassion,lack of response, and lack of access has caused me to become addicted to his prescribed medication justifying my need for possible other medications or his implication of abusing his prescribed medication, has only made my mental illness 100 times worse. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND HIM.
    Like all of my patients, he had an intake involving 90 minutes of physician time and a 30 minute followup.In addition, he got two telephone appts to deal with demands for very early refills on the same meds & doses he was taking from previous doctor. Legit anxiety disorder pts do not escalate their doses or refuse free counseling services to help them decrease their meds and function better in society. It is not "compassionate" to go along with such behavior...it is enabling chemical dependency.
    in Colorado Springs, CO |
    Dr McClure asks a lot of questions and listens very well before making any kind prognosis. No assumptions are made. When prescribing medications to treat my condition, he is very clear on what the medication is designed to do, how it works and potential side affects to be aware of. On my follow up appointments, questions are asked. He seeks details with the goal of finding out if things are truly working the way they should. I wish I would have found Dr. McClure ten years ago.
    in Colorado Springs, CO |
    Dr. M is a mastermind when it comes to diagnosing and finding the right combination of medications for patients. I was in pretty rough shape when I moved out here and he built me up to my current medication combination which is working very well. One of the first psychs that would work with me and not just shove meds my way. I enjoy sitting in the room listening to the classical music before the appointment starts. It's relaxing and I'm glad there is no front desk individual.
    Thanks! I'm glad that you appreciate the added sense of privacy and personal attention that is possible without the presence of intrusive "staff". Although there are no "staff reminder calls", almost none of my patients ever miss an appointment, and you have never missed an appointment in all of these years! Your many successes are due, in large part, to your commitment to show up and communicate fully about your situation, despite your significant transportation challenges! Congratulations!
    in Woodland Park, CO |
    Dr. McClure is an amazing doctor. He really cares about all of his patients and makes sure that they are fully taken care of physically, mentally, and medically. If you are visiting for addiction issues, make sure you are ready to put the work in that it takes. He is not a doctor who will just endlessly give medication out (which is a very good thing), but as long as you work on your issues and make progress, he will make sure that you have everything you need.
    Thanks! You have made tremendous progress because you have been willing to put your recovery first and have worked very hard to make that happen!
    in Colorado Springs, CO |
    Dr. McClure is caring, dedicated, compassionate. I also feel like I can completely trust him to have my best interests in mind. I feel confident that he is one of the best in psychiatry, and certainly the best psychiatrist I have ever worked with.
    Well, coming from you, this is high praise, indeed...because you have significant experiences with psychiatrists in many parts of the country! Thank you for your ongoing willingness to keep me apprised of all of the circumstances that impact your life, no matter how difficult! You are a very brave and creative individual, with tremendous resilience.
    Colorado Springs, CO |
    After months of getting nowhere with other providers, a counselor recommended Dr. McClure as "the best diagnostician". He is exactly that . . . and more. Before our first appointment was over, Dr. McClure nailed a clear diagnosis and recommended a treatment regimen that over a course of several months, resulted in a dramatic recovery from severe clinical depression. His easy going relational style only adds luster to his clinical expertise. We are forever grateful for Dr. McClure!
    Thanks! As you pointed out, the correct diagnosis is absolutely essential, but it is only the beginning of the process. If you had not been willing to participate in some therapeutic modalities that are unusual and difficult, you could not have had such a positive result. I admire your persistence in going "the extra mile", because taking the road less traveled can sometimes make all the difference!
    in colorado springs, CO |
    Thanks Mr.McClure for getting me addicted to a strong and hard to come off of drug (despite my wishes for short term therapy), not accepting ANY kind of insurance to see you, expecting unrealistic counseling appts. for anyone whom has a job, and most of all for your lack of resourceful and considerate medical advice. I could've done so much better without EVER coming here! Save your time and money and go elsewhere!
    My Suboxone philosophy is to use it early in treatment to prevent people from having an expensive and dangerous relapse while they begin the hard work of recovery. On day one, patients sign a contract which requires them to participate in the weekly counseling and random UDS that are necessary to move them toward the goal of abstinence in less than a year. Persistent non-compliance causes referral to higher intensity treatments designed to overcome their resistances to adequate recovery work.
    in Colorado Springs, CO |
    He was patient, understood my concerns and made recommendations that have proven to be a great benefit. He is caring and kind, and immediately put me at ease. I would recommend him to all those seeking a professional experienced in addiction, and able to help manage the medications one would be encouraged to take. I appreciate his experience in this line of treatment.
    Thanks!
    Dr. McClure is a phenomenal psychiatrist. I have been receiving treatment by Dr. McClure for almost 2 years and he is extreme let knowledgable. He has coordinated care with my psychologist and adjusted my medication for anxiety and depression appropriately. At first I could barely go to appointments I was so anxious and now I have no problem. I'm grateful I met such a great psychiatrist and grateful for his thorough genuine care for me as a person and professional in healthcare.
    Thank you!
    Dr. McClure is very knowledgable and experienced, however my experience was greatly lacking. He has no office staff, I've had continuous problems trying to contact him for medication refills and/or scheduling. He has no staff and does his own schedule without a single reminder of your appointment. He charges $185 for any appointment missed no matter what. If you have unlimited finances that is fine but doesn't work well for me.
    My practice is for people who want more individual time than they receive in most other practice settings (30-90 min apps). In order to make it possible for me to provide this level of care, patients must do their part by cancelling appts they must miss and by following the refill guidelines on my voicemail. Of course, there are legitimate reasons for patients to miss an appt and not be charged. But people who need a staff to shepherd them into appts may wish to call a large group practice.
    Guy knows his stuff. Real life changer and life saver. Has my complete trust. No long wait times and always promptly returns phone calls. Top shelf Doctor.
    Thanks! When people take responsibility for making things work, things can work out pretty well!
    Have you seen Dr. Scott McClure, MD?

Dr. McClure's Care Philosophy

Dr. McClure says...

I have over thirty years of experience in the treatment of a wide variety of psychiatric and substance abuse disorders. I have been the medical director of a number of inpatient and outpatient treatment programs specializing in co-occuring psychiatric disorders and addictions. I have earned Board Certifications in both General Psychiatry and Addictions Psychiatry. Although medications can be an important part of treatment, my treatment philosophy emphasizes a deeper understanding of the whole person which is based in my psychoanalytically oriented psychotherapy training. People respond better to treatment when they feel that they are truly understood as persons rather than as a "diagnostic entity".

Dr. McClure's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Psychiatry
    •  Board certified in Addiction Psychiatry and Psychiatry

Dr. McClure has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Colorado.

Why It Matters: Dr. McClure's Board Certifications

• Addiction Psychiatry
    • Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
    • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
    • Bipolar Disorder
    • Borderline Personality Disorder
    • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
    • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
    • Major Depressive Disorder
    • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    • Opioid Dependence
    • Personality Disorders
    • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness

University of Colorado Health Sciences Center

Completed in 1983

University of Alabama At Birmingham

Graduated in 1975

Dr. McClure does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McClure and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Psychiatry