Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Scott Kelley, MD
Dr. Scott Kelley, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Durham, NC. He is 60 years old and has been practicing for 35 years. Dr. Kelley is affiliated with Duke University Hospital and Duke Regional Hospital.

North Carolina Orthopedic Clinc

3609 SW Durham Dr

Durham, NC 27707

• American Republic
  • CoreSource
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • MedCost
  • Mutual of Omaha
  • MVP Health Care

Learn about Dr. Kelley

I am a third generation surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacement. A lot of my patients are coming to me because they are interested in the ABMSparing (Anterior-Based Muscle-Sparing) Hip Approach. Anterior muscle sparing hip surgery has been introduced in many forms but all share similar attributes. Its an operation that avoids cutting muscles so recovery is quicker without the downside of hip instability and special precautions after surgery are not necessary. My approach to patients is weighed heavily toward patient education. We have educational videos to prepare the patient for everything theyre getting into and to understand their disease better.

Dr. Kelley's Experience

Dr. Kelley's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Arthritis
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lupus

• Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• R J & Lucille Carver Coll Med Univ Of Ia
    Medical School | Graduated 1982
  • S U N Y Upstate Medical University Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • S U N Y Upstate Medical University Hospital
  • Mayo Clinic-Rochester
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Kelley has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kelley does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kelley and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kelley's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kelley to family and friends
Dr. Kelley's Performance
Durham, NC |
I told Dr. Kelley when we scheduled my surgery 15 weeks from my son's wedding that I had to be able to dance at the wedding. Just got back from the wedding-- I danced my feet off! The practice is efficient and well managed, and all the staff are a pleasure to deal with. He gives very clear verbal, written and video instructions--I followed every bit of it. My recovery was smooth, any questions were addressed quickly, and, for the first time in 3 years, I have no back and hip pain!
in Durham, NC |
Dr. Kelley performed my mother's knee replacement a month ago, and she is very happy with her decision to follow through with the surgery. He was highly recommended by a family friend, and we see why.
in Garner, NC |
FIXED THE FIRST TIME AND FOREVER Previous surgeon said I had two worst hips "this side of the 3rd world!". They caused back and knee problems, bladder issues, little sleep for 5 years, etc. Hours after my right hip was done, all knee issues ceased, I grew 1". Had left hip done 3 months later, and grew another 3/4". Walked a mile 4 weeks after 2nd op, Jogging after 6 weeks . Follow-up after ops was encyclopedic: there is no stone left unturned to avoid infection, bruising, or patient errors.
Cary, NC |
I feel so fortunate in having gone to Dr. Kelley. Not only for his surgical skills, but for the approach he takes in his practice, to help patients heal & recover fully. He is a stellar surgeon.. He provides you with a "map for success" with his videos & his caring support team. Prior to my surgery, my left side was in major distress. After surgery, I was free from pain & totally mobile within 3 wks. He sets the bar high for himself & his staff . & as his patient, you get to reap the benefit
in Cary, NC |
Doctor Kelley did my right hip replacement which went exceedingly well. From start to finish it we simply amazing.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
A superb and caring doctor! He has helped me, my wife and other family members with a variety of needed surgeries, and has done an excellent job.
in Durham, NC |
Outstanding surgeon, extremely competent, professional, respectful, compassionate. Just a few words to describe Dr. Kelley. I first heard about Dr. Kelley from former UNC System President, Bill Friday. Dr. Kelley did two hip replacement surgeries and one knee replacement surgery for me. My surgery and recovery went extremely well for all three surgeries. His approach to my physical therapy was sensible and reasonable. He sets a high bar for himself and for his entire staff.
in Durham, NC |
I had one of my hips replaced by Dr. Kelley in April and had a wonderful recovery. At my first appointment with his office he spent at least 45 minutes with me and made sure I understood my problem and my treatment options. I felt great immediately and have had no issues since. His support staff did an excellent job answering all my questions and concerns before surgery and were very attentive afterwards. Not that I want another joint replacement, but if I needone, I will only see Dr. Kelley
Raleigh, NC |
Kelley did TKR on my husband Feb. 28. Staff not responsive. I suspected a blood clot but it took two days to convince staff husband needed to be seen. Husband only had four actual PT sessions because Kelley doesn't believe in PT for TKR patients. At about eight weeks Kelley told my husband he wasn't getting better because he had a negative attitude. Husband's ROM is very poor. New doc we saw last week said lots of scar tissue has formed and more surgery may be needed to remove it. Beware
in Durham, NC |
I AM SO SORRY ABOUT YESTERDAY, DR. SCOTT KELLY. I HAD THE WRONG DOCTOR.PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR MAKING THOES COMMENTS ABOUT YOU. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE.I AM SOMETIMES AT MY WHIT ENDS. HAVE A BLESS WEEK.
in Rolesville, NC |
Dr. Scott and his whole crew were excellant. I was able to schedule surgery for my hip replacement when I wanted it and the whole procedure went fantastic. From the moment I woke up I never had any pain. Recovery was simple, hardest part not driving for weeks. Thank you Dr. Scott I have referred you to everyone who needs orthopedic surgery. You are the best.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr Kelley is likely one of the best or the best in NC. Though not quite as spectacular nat. renowned Dr. Roy Davidovitch - NYC who Only does hips. Positives: Your hip will be well done so that you can walk well Negatives: The team extreeemely pushy and manipulative about getting you out of hospital too fast, and surgery excellent but bit more rough/invasive than the best of the best can manage. ~ fit age 46 -The first 2 weeks massive tightness/swelling, walking normal up to 1 mile at 6w
in Haw River, NC |
I could not have asked for a better ortho surgeon. He and his staff are outstanding and his reputation precedes him in all associated venues, rehab, PT, etc. He did a total knee replacement for me, and he will be doing my other knee soon.
Durham, NC |
Dr. Kelley is an excellent physician. From the time I entered his office until my last post-op visit, it was a joy. I had a total hip replacement, no pain, no blood thinners, a small incision, and was back at work in 4 weeks with a normal gait - no problems. Due to his excellent surgical skills, his evidence-based knowledge about my condition, and his advice on my PT follow-up, I'm actually looking forward to getting my other hip done.
Roxboro, NC |
In August, 2016, Dr. Scott Kelley did a Total Hip Replacement on my left hip. My procedure and recovery have been a total success. Dr. Kelley does hundreds of procedures a year and my belief after seeing him in action and talking to some who know him is that he seeks perfection in himself and all around him. He was totally professional yet friendly in his relationship with me. And his support staff is skilled and professional. I give Dr. Kelley my highest recommendation.
in Apex, NC |
DR. KELLEY KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING AND DOES WELL. I FEEL HE IS THE BEST IN HIS FIELD.
Have you seen Dr. Scott Kelley, MD?
Are you Dr. Kelley?

Visit Dr. Kelley

Dr. Kelley accepts 17 insurance carriers
  • American Republic
  • CoreSource
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • MedCost