Dr. Scott Kelley, MD

Dr. Scott Kelley, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Scott Kelley, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Durham, NC. He is 60 years old and has been practicing for 35 years.

3609 SW Durham Dr

Durham, NC 27707

Learn about Dr. Kelley

See how frequently Dr. Kelley performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Osteoarthritis
Hip Replacement
Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

Dr. Kelley's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Kelley I am a third generation surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacement. A lot of my patients are coming to me because they are interested in the ABMSparing (Anterior-Based Muscle-Sparing) Hip Approach. Anterior muscle sparing hip surgery has been introduced in many forms but all share similar attributes. Its an operation that avoids cutting muscles so recovery is quicker without the downside of hip instability and special precautions after surgery are not necessary. My approach to patients is weighed heavily toward patient education. We have educational videos to prepare the patient for everything theyre getting into and to understand their disease better.

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Achilles Tendinitis
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Ataxia
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Hip Arthritis
  • Hip Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Arthritis
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp

• Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• R J & Lucille Carver Coll Med Univ Of Ia
    Medical School | Graduated 1982
  • S U N Y Upstate Medical University Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • S U N Y Upstate Medical University Hospital
  • Mayo Clinic-Rochester
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Kelley has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kelley does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kelley and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kelley's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kelley to family and friends
Dr. Kelley's Performance
in Jacksonville, NC |
The care and attention that was afforded me by Dr. Kelley and his staff was marked to the highest degree, Dr Kelley and his staff performed their duties with a spirit of excellence. I was made to feel safe and that I was in very capable and caring hands. There was no details left undone, if I called the office with a question before or after surgery my calls were returned the same day. Dr. Kelley changed my life I came into his office barely able to walk for over 6 months now I live a full life
Chapel Hill, NC |
Dr. Kelley provides newer techniques/approaches to hip surgery than some other surgeons in the area. My hip surgery went without a hitch, and I had no problems with recovery.. The frontal approach he used left a minimal scar (almost disappeared after one year) and there was no muscle cut that had to heal afterwards. I would definitely go back to him if I ever need any other joint surgery!
Graham, NC |
Scott Kelley, MD and Jamie Messersmith, PA-C were an amazing team to have when having my double knee replacement. Not only were they surgically gifted, but kept me well informed both before and after surgery about what to expect. My knees are one year old today and I am enjoying being active again, walking and biking without difficulty. I would highly recommend Dr. Kelley to anyone contemplating knee or hip surgery. Great surgeon and he and Jamie are great people too!
in Pittsboro, NC |
Dr. Kelley is so good, after having the first hip replaced, I went back and got the other hip done! He and his team will take great care of you. The recovery was quicker than I imagined and everything was handled very, very well.
in Mebane NC |
Absolutely first class treatment from Dr. Kelley and all of his team. They are all so warm and friendly and put you at ease right away. I am almost six weeks out from a total knee replacement and I feel great!! After years of dealing with knee braces and constant searing pain. I now ask myself why did I put up with it for so long??? Thank you Dr. Kelley and staff for giving me my life back!!!
Durham, NC |
I told Dr. Kelley when we scheduled my surgery 15 weeks from my son's wedding that I had to be able to dance at the wedding. Just got back from the wedding-- I danced my feet off! The practice is efficient and well managed, and all the staff are a pleasure to deal with. He gives very clear verbal, written and video instructions--I followed every bit of it. My recovery was smooth, any questions were addressed quickly, and, for the first time in 3 years, I have no back and hip pain!
in Durham, NC |
Dr. Kelley performed my mother's knee replacement a month ago, and she is very happy with her decision to follow through with the surgery. He was highly recommended by a family friend, and we see why.
in Garner, NC |
FIXED THE FIRST TIME AND FOREVER Previous surgeon said I had two worst hips "this side of the 3rd world!". They caused back and knee problems, bladder issues, little sleep for 5 years, etc. Hours after my right hip was done, all knee issues ceased, I grew 1". Had left hip done 3 months later, and grew another 3/4". Walked a mile 4 weeks after 2nd op, Jogging after 6 weeks . Follow-up after ops was encyclopedic: there is no stone left unturned to avoid infection, bruising, or patient errors.
Cary, NC |
I feel so fortunate in having gone to Dr. Kelley. Not only for his surgical skills, but for the approach he takes in his practice, to help patients heal & recover fully. He is a stellar surgeon.. He provides you with a "map for success" with his videos & his caring support team. Prior to my surgery, my left side was in major distress. After surgery, I was free from pain & totally mobile within 3 wks. He sets the bar high for himself & his staff . & as his patient, you get to reap the benefit
in Cary, NC |
Doctor Kelley did my right hip replacement which went exceedingly well. From start to finish it we simply amazing.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
A superb and caring doctor! He has helped me, my wife and other family members with a variety of needed surgeries, and has done an excellent job.
in Durham, NC |
Outstanding surgeon, extremely competent, professional, respectful, compassionate. Just a few words to describe Dr. Kelley. I first heard about Dr. Kelley from former UNC System President, Bill Friday. Dr. Kelley did two hip replacement surgeries and one knee replacement surgery for me. My surgery and recovery went extremely well for all three surgeries. His approach to my physical therapy was sensible and reasonable. He sets a high bar for himself and for his entire staff.
in Durham, NC |
I had one of my hips replaced by Dr. Kelley in April and had a wonderful recovery. At my first appointment with his office he spent at least 45 minutes with me and made sure I understood my problem and my treatment options. I felt great immediately and have had no issues since. His support staff did an excellent job answering all my questions and concerns before surgery and were very attentive afterwards. Not that I want another joint replacement, but if I needone, I will only see Dr. Kelley
Raleigh, NC |
Kelley did TKR on my husband Feb. 28. Staff not responsive. I suspected a blood clot but it took two days to convince staff husband needed to be seen. Husband only had four actual PT sessions because Kelley doesn't believe in PT for TKR patients. At about eight weeks Kelley told my husband he wasn't getting better because he had a negative attitude. Husband's ROM is very poor. New doc we saw last week said lots of scar tissue has formed and more surgery may be needed to remove it. Beware
in Durham, NC |
I AM SO SORRY ABOUT YESTERDAY, DR. SCOTT KELLY. I HAD THE WRONG DOCTOR.PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR MAKING THOES COMMENTS ABOUT YOU. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE.I AM SOMETIMES AT MY WHIT ENDS. HAVE A BLESS WEEK.
in Rolesville, NC |
Dr. Scott and his whole crew were excellant. I was able to schedule surgery for my hip replacement when I wanted it and the whole procedure went fantastic. From the moment I woke up I never had any pain. Recovery was simple, hardest part not driving for weeks. Thank you Dr. Scott I have referred you to everyone who needs orthopedic surgery. You are the best.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr Kelley is likely one of the best or the best in NC. Though not quite as spectacular nat. renowned Dr. Roy Davidovitch - NYC who Only does hips. Positives: Your hip will be well done so that you can walk well Negatives: The team extreeemely pushy and manipulative about getting you out of hospital too fast, and surgery excellent but bit more rough/invasive than the best of the best can manage. ~ fit age 46 -The first 2 weeks massive tightness/swelling, walking normal up to 1 mile at 6w
in Haw River, NC |
I could not have asked for a better ortho surgeon. He and his staff are outstanding and his reputation precedes him in all associated venues, rehab, PT, etc. He did a total knee replacement for me, and he will be doing my other knee soon.
Durham, NC |
Dr. Kelley is an excellent physician. From the time I entered his office until my last post-op visit, it was a joy. I had a total hip replacement, no pain, no blood thinners, a small incision, and was back at work in 4 weeks with a normal gait - no problems. Due to his excellent surgical skills, his evidence-based knowledge about my condition, and his advice on my PT follow-up, I'm actually looking forward to getting my other hip done.
Roxboro, NC |
In August, 2016, Dr. Scott Kelley did a Total Hip Replacement on my left hip. My procedure and recovery have been a total success. Dr. Kelley does hundreds of procedures a year and my belief after seeing him in action and talking to some who know him is that he seeks perfection in himself and all around him. He was totally professional yet friendly in his relationship with me. And his support staff is skilled and professional. I give Dr. Kelley my highest recommendation.
in Apex, NC |
DR. KELLEY KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING AND DOES WELL. I FEEL HE IS THE BEST IN HIS FIELD.
Have you seen Dr. Scott Kelley, MD?
Are you Dr. Kelley?