Dr. Scott Kahan, MD

Dr. Scott Kahan, MD

Obesity Medicine  |
Dr. Scott Kahan, MD is an obesity medicine doctor who practices in Washington, DC. He is 42 years old and has been practicing for 15 years. Read his story

1020 19th St NW Ste 450

Washington, DC 20036

Learn about Dr. Kahan

Dr. Kahan's Experience

Dr. Kahan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Obesity Medicine
  • Board certified in Public Health & General Preventive Medicine

Dr. Kahan's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Kahan "Dr. Scott Kahan is the Director of the National Center for Weight and Wellness. He is a physician trained in both clinical medicine and public health. He serves on the faculties of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the George Washington University School of Medicine, and the George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services. Dr. Kahan is board-certified in Preventive Medicine, Obesity Medicine, and clinical nutrition. In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Kahan also works as a public health physician specializing in nutrition and obesity policy. He serves as the Medical Director of theStrategies to Overcome and Prevent (S.T.O.P.) Obesity Alliance, a George Washington University-based coalition of more than 70 organizations that drive innovative and practical strategies to address obesity, and whose leadership board includes former Surgeon General Richard Carmona. He received his undergraduate degree in bioengineering from Columbia University, his medical degree from Drexel University/Medical College of Pennsylvania, and his Master's of Public Health degree from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. He trained in Internal Medicine and completed a residency in Preventive Medicine at Johns Hopkins University, where he served as Chief Resident. Dr. Kahan has advised the White House, U.S House of Representatives, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and numerous national and local advocacy groups and public health initiatives pertaining to obesity, nutrition, and chronic disease prevention. He teaches several courses on obesity, nutrition, public health, and health behavior change to medical students, graduate students, and undergraduate students. He created and teaches the first course devoted to obesity and nutrition at the George Washington University School of Medicine, as well as the first undergraduate course devoted to obesity at Johns Hopkins University. He has served as the Co-Director of the George Washington University Weight Management Program and the Associate Director of the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, as well as core faculty of the Johns Hopkins Preventive Medicine Residency Program. He is a columnist for The Huffington Post and has written articles in numerous newspapers and scientific journals. He often speaks at professional and public conferences and events, and is regular contributor to national and local media outlets, including USA Today, Washington Post, CNN, C-SPAN, MSNBC, PBS, CBS radio, Fox News, Men's Health, Self Magazine, The Atlantic, U.S. News and World Report, L.A. Times, and others. He has published 14 books in the fields of medicine, nutrition, and public health, and is the Editor-in-Chief of a series of medical texts that have been published internationally and translated into nine foreign languages. He co-authored a nutrition handbook for physicians, which is distributed free-of-charge to medical students in North America. His upcoming textbook, to be published by Johns Hopkins University Press in 2014, is titled Health Behavior Change in Populations: The State of the Evidence and Roles for Key Stakeholders. He serves as a scientific peer-reviewer for more than 30 academic journals and research organizations, including the National Institutes of Health."

• Obesity Medicine

• Hyperglycemia
  • Nutritional Diseases

• Nutritional Counseling
  • Weight Loss Management

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for District of Columbia.

• Columbia University / College Of Physicians and Surgeons

• CNN,
  • PBS,
  • Fox News,
  • TEDx - Manhattan,

Dr. Kahan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kahan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kahan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kahan to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Kahan's Performance
Portland, OR |
I was a long time patient who worked with the previous practice and the experience only improved with Dr Kahan's leadership. He was great in not only working with my GP and other docs to consult and develop custom plans to meet my needs but was great after I moved away from the DC area in helping as I resettled to find a new health care team. I highly recommend!
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Kahan is a shining example of compassion and brilliance. He cares deeply about his patients and is interested in getting to know them as complete people, rather than simply as particular medical issues. His friendliness and kindness make it easy to talk with him. Dr. Kahan will go above and beyond to help you and his broad-based, wide-ranging knowledge ensure that you will receive the best, most comprehensive care possible. I am so grateful to have found such a wonderful physician.
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Kahan is a wonderful doctor and has helped me immeasurably. I have tried and failed with so many programs to lose weight- I was extremely frustrated and about to give up when I came to see him. He really takes the time to listen and to try to figure out what is going on and comes up with ideas and solutions that are reasonable and doable. His manner is low key, non-judgmental, and humorous at times, which is so helpful in this context. I highly recommend Dr. Kahan.
in McLean, VA |
Scott Kahan and his team at NCWW provide first-rate medical service that focuses on weight-management and related wellness issues. In my experience, patients receive individualized attention and exceptional support with their diverse health problems. There are no magic solutions in this medical area, which has more than its share of fads that ultimately are unsuccessful. Dr. Kahan offers great support and encouragement in a long-term context. I highly recommend his services.
in Washington, DC |
Scott Kahan was instrumental in giving me the advice and motivation to make healthier decisions for myself. His gentility and understanding encouraged me to make changes in my habits on my own initiative instead of maintaining the passive stance that had characterized my approach with other doctors and medications.
in Washington, D.C. |
Dr. Kahan and the entire team at NCWW are, hands down, one of the best things that has happened to me. I was referred to Dr Kahan by the NP of a surgeon that basically told me I was out of luck. Dr. Kahan immediately put me at ease, listened patiently to my case, and offered solutions that no other doc did. I am in a much healthier place (not just in weight, but in physical and emotional health) thanks to Dr. Kahan. He is one of the kindest, most compassionate people I've met.
in Washington, DC |
04/26/2017 The only thing lighter on me after my experience with these people was my wallet. How does $500 for a 90-minute recommended psych consult sound? How does it feel when the insight given after that 90 minutes is that you're a "puzzle"?. Initial director's consult and required blood tests=some $700. Dietitian? one hour @$300; physical assessment= $200. Advice given?=keep food journal, eat half my food, exercise, take prescribed drug= no weight loss, made me sick for weeks. Horrible!
in Washington, DC |
I highly recommend Dr. Scott Kahan -- he has transformed my life over the past 5 years. He is an amazing listener, always kind and thoughtful in his approach to every issue and conversation. When I have faced many of life's challenges, he has provided support in a caring way that helps me to realize I can do anything. The focus is healthy living and a lifestyle that ensures I am feeling better emotionally and physically. He is a combination doctor, counselor, nutritionist and great human being!
in Bethesda, MD |
I can?t say enough good things about the National Center for Weight and Wellness; a terrific practice for professional, comprehensive and holistic weight management services. Dr. Scott Kahan is awesome! I always leave my appointments with him feeling as though I have a real partner who is thoroughly dedicated to this life-long process of battling obesity. It is easy to get the feeling that Dr. Kahan not only wants to help you as a patient but also cares about your well-being as an individual.
in Alexandria, VA |
If you have obesity, you know what I mean when I say Dr. Kahan gets it. He is the most non-judgmental, caring physician I have ever met. Unlike other physicians I've had, he never blames or shames you for your weight, your lifestyle, or your exercise habits. Throughout my treatment, Dr. Kahan listened closely to me, learning about my history, my life and my goals. Together, we developed a personalized plan that has helped me shed and keep off more than 110 lbs. He rates higher than five stars!
in Kensington, MD |
I found this doctor not to be a good listener. In addition, when I was having trouble losing weight, he spoke to me in a rude and overbearing manner. On one occasion, he suddenly accused me of not exercising in a rude and angry voice. Even if it had been true that I wasn't exercising, it would have been inappropriate to speak to me like that. In fact, I had been exercising quite a lot. He hadn't even bothered to ask me how much I was exercising.
Have you seen Dr. Scott Kahan, MD?
Are you Dr. Kahan?