Dr. Scott D. Boden, MD

Dr. Scott D. Boden, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male | 56 years old

42 reviews| Leave a review

As Director of The Emory Spine Center for over 20 years, my approach is to listen carefully to the patient history (often as or more important than the MRI/imaging studies) to make an accurate diagnosis. The next step is to offer as many treatment options as possible and involve the patient and their family in the decision making process. Spine problems can be complicated and there is rarely only one option. My goal is to help educate patients so they can choose the best option for their specific situation.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Boden's Experience

See how Dr. Boden's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Boden

Dr. Boden accepts 17 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Boden has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Boden
Dr. Boden's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (38)
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr Boden made me feel very confident in his diagnosis and suggested Cervical Surgery for my condition. He was able to schedule me within 2 weeks, recovery was excellent no pain pills needed when I came home. My recovery was amazing, I suffered a long time with a dragging foot, so many different diagnosis and treatments. I can walk now. I like that he was direct with me , my questions , degree of recovery I could expect.
in Sharpsburg,GA |
Dr. Boden does amazing work had my injury for a year and he was the only Dr. that saw the injury I had for over a year from car accident. Thank you.
in Douglasville Georgia |
Do Boden was very good at explaining what was going to happen and answered all my questions so that I could understand my two procedures. Very easy to talk to and the first Orthopedic Doctor who told me that he could see my problem and that he could help me.
in Pine Mountain, GA |
Dr Boden was professional and candid in answers to my questions. We had an excellent discussion regarding the pros and cons of the lumbar fusion I was considering. He provided the information I needed to proceed. The care I received at the Emory Ortopedic and Spine Hospital was outstanding and exceeded my expectations.
in Union City, GA |
Explain in detail, diagnosis and recommended procedure. Answered all my question and made me feel relaxed and confident in his skills
in Mableton, GA |
Before surgery, I was in pain even walking a short distance, I was not able to do things I enjoyed. Today, six weeks after surgery, I was able to do things like shopping,, walking about a mile, totally without pain. The surgery changed my life.
in Eatonton, GA |
Doctor Boden has fixed my neck,twice since it was broken. My last surgery was in 2011. I'm going back to him again,because he is the BEST at what he does. His staff is wonderful as well. This is a doctor that is highly skilled and respected by me and many others. Dr. Boden is very professional and a life saver for those who are in pain.
in Carrollton, GA |
Knows his stuff. Did a wonder on my back after a discectomy. Relatively personable person in the office, but mostly down to business when it comes to your care. Bringing up what may have caused the injury may or may not be relevant to him where you may feel it is important. This is just my opinion as the injury I incurred was due to my own carelessness, and I may have been looking for someone to reassure me that I was not alone. Regardless he hooked me up, and I feel I will soon be back to 100%
in Dublin, GA |
I really liked Dr. Boden, he took time to listen to all my questions, he made sure I understood what the surgery could do and would not do and what to expect after the surgery. He is a very busy doctor but I did not feel like he was rushing through my appointment. I have a lot of confidence in Dr. Boden and would recommend him to anyone.
in Smyrna, GA |
He performed surgery on my back, and I feel like a new person. It's like a miracle. Excellent.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Boden is an excellent surgeon! He performed my spinal laminectomy with spinal fusion 6 months ago and I've healed perfectly. I'm 82 by the way! He's very skilled at surgery.
in Lawrenceville, GA |
Emory Orthopedics & Spine Center is a wonderful facility (facility). My stay at the facility was the upmost comfortable hospital stay i have ever encountered. The nurses, doctors, environmental staff, food service staff provided an excellent service during my stay. All requested services were provided in a timely manner. All of the staff were freindly, outgoing, and courteous beyond the call of duty. There was no wait no matter the request. Finally, best tasting food I have ever eaten.
in Knoxville, TN. |
I had spinal stenosis for a long time! I could not trust anyone enough in Knoxville or Nashville, TN! Till I found, thank GOD, Dr. Boden,! I trusted his judgment & expertise! He operated on me 3 months ago, Laminectomy! He's been on target all along, as to what am I to expect! No complications & no pain! I'm able to walk & work! He was practical & straight forward setting the right expectations! I never forget him calling me back, first time I called his office, from CA. He was reassuring!
in Roswell, GA |
I had horrible pain down my legs for a long long long time...as long as I could stand it. Dr. Boden operated on my back and I have been PAIN FREE ever since!!!! I love him. I had NO complications or problems. He is wonderful. I would highly recommend him!
in Cortez, Fl |
Dr Boden performed major neck surgery on my neck (Mid 2000's) & they had to core a bone from my hip ( most compatible with the neck as I understand it) and wire it in place. If you have spine or neck problems, Dr Boden is your man! Thank you Dr Boden and Team as well as the Emory hospital, great JOB!!?? I live in Florida now & if I ever need back or neck work, I am Dr Boden & Emory Bound!!
in Avondale Estates, GA |
Dr.Boden thoroughly explained my medical situation and alternatives to correct it. He showed me the MRI pictures and demonstrated on a model of the spine. I chose surgery to have a large cyst removed from my spine. I had to wait two weeks only. The surgery went quite well with no complications and my recovery went without incident as well. The surgery was 100% effective and completely resolved my problem, for which I'm very grateful.
in Norcross, GA |
it was awful and patient relations, risk management refuse to talk to me about my injury, stay away from this doctor .
in Centerville, GA |
Dr. Boden diagnosed my problem and fixed it in a week.
in DeSoto, Texas |
Dr. Boden performed a spinal fusion on me in 1996. I have had nothing but positive experience since then.
in Warner Robins, GA |
This is the rudest, most arrogant, condescending medical person I have ever meet. His attitude seems to be, Why are you bothering me? He does not explain he does not talk more than to say a few grunts. I totally question his competence. Sure he presents a great public image, but he is so rude and disrespectful that why anyone would ever come back to him is beyond me. He does not even have rudimentary manners. We have, twice, experienced him just getting up and walking out. Very sorry person.
Have you seen Dr. Scott D. Boden, MD?
Are you Dr. Boden?

Compare Dr. Boden

Dr. Boden says...

Dr. Boden received his B.A. and M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and completed an Orthopaedic Residency at The George Washington University Medical Center, followed by a Spine Fellowship at Case Western Reserve University Hospitals. Dr. Boden is currently a tenured Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Emory University School of Medicine and serves as the Director of the Emory Orthopaedics & Spine Center, Vice Chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chief Medical Officer/Chief Quality Officer (CMO/CQO) of The Emory University Orthopaedics & Spine Hospital, and Emory Healthcare Physician Director of Strategy and Development for Orthopaedics & Spine Programs. He is also the Clinical Director of the Whitesides Orthopaedic Research Laboratory and has received many awards including the Volvo Award for Low Back Pain Research (4 times), The Marshall Urist Young Investigator Award, the North American Spine Society Outstanding Paper Award (7 times), and the AAOS/ORS Kappa Delta Research Award. He has received the Leon Wiltse Award for Outstanding Contributions to the field of spine surgery from the North American Spine Society. Dr. Boden has authored over 175 peer-reviewed articles on spine and basic science topics as well as 30 chapters and 7 textbooks.

Dr. Boden is Co-Editor of Seminars in Spine Surgery, a Deputy Editor of SPINE, and served many years as an Associate Editor for Basic Science for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Dr. Boden served as Secretary of the American Orthopaedic Association after serving on the Executive, Finance, Membership, and Critical Issues Committees for two years as a Member-at-Large. He served as AOA President in 2013-2014. He has served as Secretary on the Board of Directors of The Orthopaedic Research Society, as President of The International Society for Study of the Lumbar Spine in 2009, and as President of The Eastern Orthopaedic Association in 2007 of which he currently serves as Managing Director.

Dr. Boden's basic research focus has centered on gaining an understanding of the biology of spine fusion healing and bone graft substitutes as well as the molecular control of bone formation and gene therapy applications for bone and intervertebral disc cartilage regeneration. His research is most recently focusing on the development of small molecules to promote bone and cartilage regeneration. He is a named inventor on over 30 issued patents. In 2012, Dr. Boden became a Founder and the Chief Medical, Science and Technology Officer of SkelRegen, a start-up company spun out of Emory University with the goal of developing small molecule technologies to promote the next generation of skeletal tissue regeneration solutions.

Dr. Boden's interests also include innovative health care delivery strategies in a managed care environment and he is Founder and Chairmen of the National Spine Network, a collaboration of 25 Spine Centers of Excellence around the U.S. focusing on outcomes research and quality improvement. He has recently helped Emory to plan an open a free standing multidisciplinary Musculoskeletal Outpatient Center (2004) as well as an Orthopaedics & Spine Specialty Hospital (2008). The hospital was designed using an innovative model of patient and family centered care and consistently receives some of the highest patient satisfaction ratings of any hospital in the U.S.  Dr. Boden most recently was the catalyst for an exciting long term partnership between Emory and the Atlanta Hawks NBA Basketball team to build a new Emory Sports Medicine Complex that will be the home of Emory Sports Medicine Center, Emory Physical Therapy, The Atlanta Hawks Practice Courts and basketball operations, and a Sports Science Performance Measurement and Research Center.

Dr. Boden's Care Philosophy

As Director of The Emory Spine Center for over 20 years, my approach is to listen carefully to the patient history (often as or more important than the MRI/imaging studies) to make an accurate diagnosis.  The next step is to offer as many treatment options as possible and involve the patient and their family in the decision making process.  Spine problems can be complicated and there is rarely only one option.  My goal is to help educate patients so they can choose the best option for their specific situation.

Dr. Boden's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Boden has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Boden's Board Certifications

Completed in 1992

Perelman School Of Medicine University Of Pennsylvania

Graduated in 1982

University

Dr. Boden does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Boden and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Orthopedic Neck Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Spinal Fusion