Dr. Scellig Stone, MD

Dr. Scellig Stone, MD

Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Scellig Stone, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Boston, MA. He is 40 years old and has been practicing for 14 years. Read his story

300 Longwood Ave

Boston, MA 02115

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Learn about Dr. Stone

Dr. Stone's Experience

Dr. Stone's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery

Dr. Stone's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Stone "My practice is focused mainly on functional disorders in children, where I am primarily advancing a treatment called deep brain stimulation to calm involuntary and disabiling motions in children with dystonia. I hold both a medical degree and a PhD in neuroscience from the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Toronto, training that gives me a unique perspective on the treatment of neurosurgical patients. I completed the prestigious Shillito neurosurgical fellowship at Boston Children's Hospital in 2014, and am the founding surgical director of our department's movement disorders and deep brain stimulation program. My clinical work focuses primarily on dystonia, a movement disorder in which faulty brain signals cause involuntary muscle contractions in children. I specialize in deep brain stimulation, a surgical procedure in which I implant electrodes on different targets in the brain to deliver electrical stimulation to those areas via a simultaneously-implanted pacemaker-like device called a neurostimulator. Deep brain stimulation is currently indicated for primary dystonia, and holds enormous future potential for other conditions. I also run a general neurosurgical practice, encompassing areas such as brain tumors, neuroendoscopy and epilepsy surgeries. I am a passionate advocate for dystonia awareness and the potential application of deep brain stimulation for patients, and have been an invited speaker locally and internationally on the topic. As a surgeon-scientist, I am interested in encouraging functional regeneration and repair of the brain using targeting therapies such as deep brain stimulation. Through understanding mechanisms of adult neurogenesis and neurostimulation, I am hopeful that we will be able to harness intrinsic brain mechanisms to repair and restore damaged and diseased brain."

This content was provided by Dr. Stone "I was inspired to become a neurosurgeon by my 10th grade biology teacher, who taught me to how push myself to accomplish my goals and exposed me to basic neuroscience research.

I remember seeing a video in high school of a patient being treated by an early form of deep brain stimulation. I was amazed at the ability of surgeons to alter brain function in a targeted way and alleviate a debilitating movement disorder. I have always been fascinated by the nervous system and neurological diseases, and knew at that point that I wanted to become a neurosurgeon.

My approach to care reflects the work ethic that this influential teacher and my parents instilled in me as well as the satisfaction I get from helping a child suffering from neurologic illness. I find working with kids inspiring. They are usually much braver patients than adults and their potential for recovery is often great. Giving a child the ability to reach his or her full potential is something that motivates my work every day."

• Neurosurgery
  • Epilepsy

Dr. Stone does not have any board certifications listed.

• Bracheal Plexus Birth Injuries

• Movement Disorder Surgery
  • Neurosurgical Procedures
  • Pediatric Neurosurgical Procedures
  • Spinal Cord Surgery

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

• Queen's University
  • Boston Children's Hospital, pediatric Neurosurgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014
  • University of Toronto, Graduate
    Other Education | Completed 2012

Dr. Stone has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Stone has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Stone does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Stone and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Stone's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Stone to family and friends
3.7
based on 3 total reviews
Dr. Stone's Performance
    GOOD
Have you seen Dr. Scellig Stone, MD?
Are you Dr. Stone?

Visit Dr. Stone

Dr. Stone accepts 1 insurance carrier
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Hospitals where Dr. Stone has admitting privileges