Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD

Dr. Sandhu
Telehealth services available

Harbor Medical Associates

3 Corporate Plaza Dr Newport Beach, CA 92660

Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD is a Psychiatry Specialist in Newport Beach, CA and has over 40 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Sandhu has more experience with Psychotic Disorders than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Govt Medical College medical school in 1981. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Fountain Valley Regional Hospital and Medical Center and Hoag Hospital Newport Beach. He has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Sandhu to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for California

Frequently Treated by Dr. Sandhu

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Sandhu treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Sandhu treats other conditions, please contact the office at (949) 642-7757.

Psychotic Disorders

Psychotic disorders specialists diagnose and treat conditions that cause severe mental symptoms and disconnection from reality, such as schizophrenia, delusional disorder, and substance-induced psychosis.Compare with other Psychotic Disorders specialists.

Dr. Sandhu is experienced in the area of Psychotic Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 8 conditions and procedures

Check Dr. Sandhu's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Sandhu's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Cyclothymia (Chronic Mood Disorder)
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Disorder
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychosis
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Psychotherapy and Psychophysiological Therapy (incl. Biofeedback)
  • Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Schizophrenia
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder

Dr. Sandhu accepts

Dr. Sandhu accepts the following insurance:

Anthem Blue Cross

3.2

4.25531914893617%
40.42553191489362%

Dr. Sandhu?
  • Listened & answered questions (28)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (27)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (26)
  • Long wait times (22)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (16)
  • Appointment was rushed (15)
I have known Dr. Sandhu for 15 years. I grew up in the same community as his family, went to the same school as his sons, etc. I can vouch for him as a treatment provider and his family as good people. He is a good doctor at being patient, keeping things at a down to Earth level, and not making some of the sort of "out there" diagnoses that psychiatry gets joked about. If you read the reviews carefully, you will see he has a good ability to read people, even in the little things or the things they do not say. I would say that for most people seeing a psychiatrist, they are having some sort of distress, his personality naturally calms people down. He has been very helpful. There are a few things that any person should know, however. 1. The biggest thing is his separation of work and family life. When he is at work, he works long and hard. If he is off work, he cannot take phone calls, fill prescriptions, etc. The staff will warn you about this, but some people who see a ps
Jun 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
One star for friendliness. He continuously refused to check my lithium levels, which caused them to dip below therapeutic range. I had a complete relapse as a result
Feb 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
I enjoyed Dr. Sandhu as a doctor and the first psychiatrist to ever understand and prescribe me medication that worked. The office staff, however, is horrible. They called me 3 days before my appointment, I’m about to be out of medication to tell me they don’t take my insurance anymore. Extremely rude, she asked me how I even got on the appointment schedule and claimed they called me a month before they stopped taking it(they never called me)!!! They gave me an appointment and never said a word about my insurance and all of a sudden don’t take it anymore. I am in a panic about my medication and cannot believe the lack of care for somebody with serious mental health issues. Would never recommend for this reason alone.
Emma – Jan 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
Staff cancelled my appointment and rescheduled it for a week later. During the waiting period I needed my refills which were supposed to be done the day of my cancelled appointment. Absurdly they denied my refills arguing Dr. hasn't seen me yet. That I needed to wait a week for my meds. They could care less that they were the ones cancelling my scheduled appointment. I suffered tremendously because of them. This was the second time I was denied a refill at only a week close to my appointment. The first time the Dr. admitted to me he did not know anything about me being denied the refill and that he was going to have a pet talk with his staff, although not apologetic at least he was aware that he definitely has two problems named Stephanie and Summer in the office. These people do not listen, do not have any empathy for the patients and play with their vulnerability and health. Shame of them! If you value your health, do yourself a favor and stay away from this place.
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Claudia Cruz – Aug 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
The receptionist will never pick up her phone, after calling every day for a week (during normal business hours) and being sent straight to voicemail I realized she must have a problem with simply answering her phone seeing as she could not possibly be so busy as a receptionist for just one doctor every minute of the day. She told me multiple times (after calling me back) that she would check with my insurance (which I had already done) to make sure they were in network so she could make me an appointment. After a week, I was finally able to make an appointment and I got there early so I could complete the new patient paperwork. I was also told at this time that their credit card reader wasn’t working so I would have to pay my co-pay in cash. 20 minutes after my appointment was supposed to begin, his current patient walked out and the receptionist motioned for the man sitting next to me that he could go in. In short, I waited an hour just to have to leave because he didn’t have time.
May 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
I think Dr. Sandhu was kind and listened compassionately to my concerns. He gave honest feedback, which isn't always easy to hear, but necessary. Dr. Sandhu is great and I would highly recommend. I like that he isn't too conservative, does not wait a long time to change medication if one is not working.
CA, CA – Dec 11, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
This review is not for Dr. Sandhu, who is genuinely wonderful. Rather, it's for the staff. A few months ago, I arrived for an appointment to find out I owed $600. Apparently someone had forgot to copy my insurance information, so my insurance was never billed. They claimed they called me to attempt to settle the matter. This is a lie, because while I received calls reminding me of my appointments, never once did anyone ask me about my insurance or let me know there was a problem. STAY AWAY!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
AshleighJ in Irvine, CA – Sep 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
I had a terrible experience with this doctor. When I was unsure about the medication he wanted to prescribe he began yelling..."because I am the doctor and you are the patient."
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Aug 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
I was sent to Doctor Sandhu from my Cardioligist, after telling him my psychiatrist I was seeing was not helping me. I made the decision to see Sandhu and never looked back. he read me like a book and knew just how to help me. From day one i came out of my condition and understood how to help myself and take my medication in the correct dosage. His office staff could improve both back and front office about being a little more professional and on top of business.
Carol in Costa Mesa – Feb 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
I think Dr Sandhu is excellent. I came in suffering a MAJOR anxiety attack that completely debilitated me, and he worked with me for several months until the right combination of medicines restored me to my normal self. I was able to return to work and continue my life afterwards.
Costa Mesa – Feb 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
Such a careless and unprofessional psychiatrist. He doesnt care about his patients and it takes around 45-50 minutes on average to see him when you have an appointment. If you care about your health please go find a different doctor for your own sake. I hope anyone else who needs help sees this and doesnt make the same mistake i did.
Irvine, CA – Dec 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
I waited in this "Psychiatrist" office as a new patient for 1 hour. In front of me were 1 patient in his office, 2 in the waiting room and 2 pharmaceutical reps ( I'm presuming). I got to my appointment on time with my paperwork ready and in hand. I waited 15 minutes after the last patient came out who thanked them for "squeezing" him in. I was brought back to his office where Dr never said hello nor apologized for keeping me waiting. His manner was not for me and I left. He did not care.
Laguna Beach, CA – Aug 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
Saw this Dr. for 4 years. Of course tried to change my meds which sent me into a tailspin. Never talked about my condition, just bs. Then he decides to blast me on my last visit with his opinion of me. Put me on disability and when there was a glitch, refused to help. Told me he was "up to here" with me and then sat and stared at me. Creepy. His staff is rude also and not there to help. Other than prescribing meds, he did nothing to help. And always some strange intern present, why? RUN!
Las Vegas, NV – May 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
I went in with an open mind. He helped me find the right medication. i trusted him. A few times I needed to tell him "no, you aren't describing me". Wouldn't allow it. His opinion is the only one that matters. surface level talk only. No desire to learn who I am. Does offer more drugs, but made a false judgement of me, & ran with it. Maybe I'm hard to get to know, but I he does not support me. Also, he encouraged my spouse to leave me. Husband agreed he misjudged me in a big way. Disappointed.
Pwood in Irvine, CA – Sep 23, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
My illness was resistant to everything I tried. Dr Sandhu always listened to me and listened for somethimg else to try. Finally he found a new med that changed everything. He never quit on me
Phoenix, AZ – Sep 13, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?
this doctor's is horrible! only cares for money and has no compassion.
Newport Beach, CA – Aug 31, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Sarabjit Sandhu, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Sandhu?

We understand the need for consistent care and we treat each patient like family. Our compassionate, professional staff is dedicated to providing the highest...Read more

• Psychiatry