Dr. Samuel S. Koo, MD

Dr. Samuel S. Koo, MD

Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery | Male

ProOrtho (Old- Evergreen Orthopedics Center) 12911 120th Ave NE Ste H210, Kirkland, WA 98034 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

I believe all surgeons should have two essential qualities: integrity and empathy. To me, integrity means treating each patient as if I were caring for my wife and children. Family is exceedingly important to me so you can be assured you will be well cared for. I will not recommend surgery unless all non-operative solutions have been explored and exhausted. Also, integrity means to offer the highest quality care currently available. I am an expert at arthroscopic (minimally invasive) shoulder surgery. The shoulder is an extremely fascinating joint with lots of moving parts. As such, injuries are common and often complex. Over the last few years, there have been dramatic improvements in the way we treat shoulder pathology. We are now able to perform most shoulder surgeries using arthroscopic techniques (small incisions) that are at least as good, if not better than, the open (larger incisions) procedures of the past. Having trained with the world's expert in minimally invasive shoulder surgery, the care/technical expertise you will receive is cutting edge and based on the best available research for various shoulder ailments (e.g. rotator cuff tears, labral tears and instability). In fact, I am always actively looking for new ways to improve my surgical/nonsurgical treatment methods so you can regain your active lifestyle. Lastly, empathy is a term not often associated with surgeons. This is quite unfortunate, because we are in the ideal position to support patients as they recover from difficult procedures. In my practice, your questions will be heard and answered promptly. By working together, focused on your goals, we can optimize the patient experience and maximize your health and well being.Read more

Dr. Koo's Experience

96Experience
Match

See how Dr. Koo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Koo

Dr. Koo accepts 15 insurance carriers

15 Insurance Carriers Accepted*

*Please verify this information when scheduling an appointment

/* /.overlay-container */}

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Koo has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Reviewing Dr. Koo

Dr. Koo's Review Details
4.7 based on 103 responses
Experience with Dr. Koo
Dr. Koo's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (89)
Seattle, WA |
Best experience!! I saw another physician in the same office and left the visit feeling unsure, I did research and scheduled to see Dr. Koo instead. He repaired my shoulder and I am now back to normal. His entire staff was easy to work with and I have nothing but good things to say.
Seattle, WA |
From Yakima, happy with his team.
Seattle, WA |
Delightful to work with his PA Kalotay in all post op visits over the year.
in Seattle, WA |
The pre-operation experience and actual procedure were both professional and supportive with the end result being excellent.
in Bothell, WA |
No discomfort or pain after surgery for an extensive amount. Prefer Koo over past shoulder surgeons used.
in Poulsbo, WA |
Dr. Koo and his partners are very professional, informative, friendly. I am very pleased with how my surgery and recovery went. I highly recommend Dr. Koo and his staff. Thank you so much.
in Redmond WA |
I would, and have, recommended Dr. Koo to others because of his expertise. I have great confidence in both him and his PA, Claudia. Dr. Koo's expertise about my shoulder issues inspired my confidence in him. Working with Claudia all these months as she answered questions for me and offered advice and encouragement also made me feel well taken care of.
Seattle, WA |
Lived with this shoulder problem for a year and was skeptical at first because I didn't ever think I needed surgery, but 6months later (after surgery) I'm glad that I did it (surgery) and will be back out on the golf course next weekend. I highly recommend Dr. Koo. I talked to a couple people who had the surgery elsewhere and they were not as satisfied with their results as I am with mine.
in Enumclaw, WA |
He did an excellent job repairing my rotator cuff. He got me back doing all of the activities I love. His staff and facilities are top notch. He communicated very well, which was important to me as I want to participate in my medical care.
Seattle, WA |
Dr Koo inspires confidence in addressing shoulder problems. He replaced my right shoulder a year ago and I have had an effortless recovery, regaining all of my capabilities. I have recommended the Pro Ortho group to many people who inquired about my experiences with the surgery. Dr. Koo's PA, Claudia, has also provided major support during the course of the rehab period.
in Bellevue, WA |
I was diagnosed with a severe rotator cuff tear. Dr Koo thoroughly explained non surgical and surgical options. Surgery and recovery went well and am now 9 months post surgery and back to my regular routine. I have full range of motion and pretty much back to full strength but still need to be careful for another 3 months.
in Seattle, WA |
It was awesome. He really listened to me and choose the surgery that we both felt was best for me. Theat was reverse shoulder replacement. The surgery was so successful, I have almost full motion and it's only been 3 months. Claudia rocks too!!!
in Renton, WA |
After several years of physical therapy for shoulder pain I saw Dr. Koo and found out that I had serious shoulder injuries that needed surgery. Dr. Koo was able to perform surgery within a few weeks to start my road to a healthy shoulder. The surgery left very little scaring in the 3 points that were used to access the shoulder internals - to my pleasant surprise. Follow up office visits were easy. Post surgery physical therapy seemed unending but I recovered pain free motion and strength.
Port Ludlow, WA |
Dr. Koo performed a rotator cuff repair with excellent result.
in Maple Valley, WA |
Claudia has been excellent before, during and after my surgery. I would highly recommend Dr Koo and Claudia.
Seattle, WA |
I was pleased at how well Dr. Koo and His assistant Claudia listened to my concerns. The follow up care was very thorough and I am pleased with the time they took with me.
Seattle, WA |
Highly recommend Dr. Koo to anyone.
in Bothell, Wa |
Dr. Koo was honest and explained my procedure so that I felt prepared for surgery and recovery.
in Seattle, WA |
Dr. Koo was very knowledgeable and compassionate in his patient care. He communicated very well and was a good listener; he made sure all of my questions were answered to my satisfaction. Dr. Koo used good verbal skills and anatomy diagrams to explain my condition. I would rate him 5-stars (highest) and would highly recommend him to all future patients. My experience was excellent.
in Redmond, WA |
I think the deliberateness and gradual approach to therapy and recovery by Dr. Koo and PAC Kalotay were directly responsible for my full recovery and full range of motion today. I would recommend Doctor Koo and his team without reservation to anyone needing rotator cuff surgery and rehabilitation.
in Kirkland, WA |
Results have been more than expected.
Seattle, WA |
Dr. Koo takes the time to listen to your concerns. He is very thorough and takes your issues and concerns seriously.
in Woodinville, WA |
Very professional, hears to pt's concerns, explanation are understandable, smiles, my shoulder feels perfect. Has a grate staff working with him.
Have you seen Dr. Samuel S. Koo, MD?
Are you Dr. Samuel S. Koo, MD? Post a response on your personalized profile.

Compare Dr. Koo

• Excision of Scapula, Clavicle, Rib, or Sternum
    • Glenoid Labrum Repair
    • Partial Shoulder Replacement
    • Peripheral Nerve Block
    • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
    • Reverse Total Shoulder and Total Shoulder Replacement
    • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
    • Shoulder Replacement
    • Shoulder Stabilizations
    • Shoulder Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

Northwestern Center Feinberg School of Medicine

Arthroscopic Shoulder Fellowship with Stephen Burkhart

Completed in 2009

Wheaton College

Graduated in 1998

Dr. Koo has no media or publications listed.

• Korean

Dr. Koo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Koo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Koo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
    • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
    • Malpractice claims in Washington not available
    ×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Koo

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Koo's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
    Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
    Staff friendliness and courteousness
    Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)

Experience with Dr. Koo

Level of trust in provider's decisions
    How well provider explains medical condition(s)
    How well provider listens and answers questions
    Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Koo's Care Philosophy