Dr. Sangwook Yoon, MD

Dr. Sangwook Yoon, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Sangwook Yoon, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Atlanta, GA. He is 52 years old and has been practicing for 23 years. Read his story

59 Executive Park South NE Ste 3000

Atlanta, GA 30329

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia

Learn about Dr. Yoon

See how frequently Dr. Yoon performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Myelopathy
Cervical Spine Myelopathy
Spinal Fusion

Dr. Yoon's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Yoon's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Yoon "Dr. Yoon travelled in many different countries as a young child, but settled in Georgia during elementary school. He graduated from Swainsboro High School in Swainsboro, Georgia where he played competitive tennis. For college, he attended Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and graduated with a degree in electrical engineering. During college he played intercollegiate squash and enjoyed building electric motors, and won the C-robots contest. For medical school he attended Yale University. There, he completed a combined MD and PhD program. His PhD thesis was on T-cell receptor structure and function. Then he went to San Francisco for his orthopedic surgery residency at UCSF and Chicago for his spine fellowship at RUSH. He has been at Emory University since 2000. He has served as the Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at the Atlanta, VAMC. He is active in teaching and research and holds leadership positions in national and international spinal societies. He has published numerous articles in spine and is a thought leader. His philosophy in treating patients is to understand the situation, choose the right treatment, then if surgery is necessary, to perform the best surgery possible. Dr. Yoon is a family man with a wife and four children. He enjoys triathlon and is a Christian."

This content was provided by Dr. Yoon "Straight talk, careful decision making, and excellent surgery."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

• Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Plating and Fusion
  • Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (ALIF)
  • Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Cervical Spine Reconstruction
  • Complex Spinal Instrumentation Procedure
  • Complex Spine Surgery
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Microdiscectomy
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Neuroplasty
  • Posterior Cervical Laminectomy
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Scoliosis Surgery
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Spine Surgery
  • Spine and Back Procedures
  • XLIF® (eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion) Procedure

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• Massachusetts Institute Of Technology
  • University Of California San Francisco
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1999
  • Rush Presbyterian Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Yoon has no media or publications listed.

• Korean

Dr. Yoon does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Yoon and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Yoon's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Yoon to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Yoon's Performance
in Stone Mountain, GA |
I am a 63 years old healthy woman who was experiencing excruciating pain radiating from my buttocks down both of my legs that got worst if I coughed or sneezed. My feet were also numb. After other treatments, PT and injections, I was referred to a surgeon. I chose Dr, Yoon. He is a kind and patient doctor and according to my research and experience, the one of the absolute best surgeons in his field. My surgery was 100% successful.. My leg and buttock pain is gone and I'm ready to live again.
in Peachhtree Corners, GA |
Dr. Yoon is fantastic! He explained everything to me in terms of surgery and recovery in a way that I could clearly understand. I had an L3-L4 laminectomy discectomy for a pretty nasty disc herniation that was causing paralysis. I have zero nerve pain now, and would absolutely recommend Dr. Yoon to any and everyone!
in Hoschton, GA |
Wonderful caring doctor--I am able to walk after 5 months in a wheelchair!!!
in Lawrenceville |
I will always recommend Dr. Yoon. He is the person that is giving me a new fresh start, after 11 years in terrible pain, and 5 bad back surgeries, He just told me trust me I'm gonna fix you, it is just 3 months after my surgery but my pain it's almost gone. i'm always going to owe you Doc. Thank You God Bless you.
in Temple, GA |
Have already referred Dr.Yoon to several people. I feel really good for the first time in a year and a half. Dr. Yoon and his staff were amazing.
in Hampton, Georgia |
Dr. Yoon is an extremely qualified Spinal expert. His surgery on my back exceeded my expections., He has given life a back my legs and back, pain free. Tommy N. Smith. Former Mayor and County Board of Commissioners Chairman.j
in Atlanta, GA |
After years of experiencing pain and numbness in my left leg and buttock region, I am now pain free. Four weeks following a L-3 to L-5 laminectomy and L5-S1 discectomy, I feel like a new man. Thank you Dr. Yoon!!!!
in Warner Robins, GA |
After experiencing failed treatments for my lower back and hip pain for more than a year I saw Dr. Yoon. He diagnosed the problem immediately upon reviewing the MRI and CAT scan and I agreed to spinal fusion surgery. I am now 6 months out from the surgery by Dr. Yoon and am excited to be pain free. Dr. Yoon's caring professionalism is unsurpassed.. He was very straight forward and patient in answering my wife's and my questions. I would certainly recommend him to others.
warner robins ga |
did an excellent job on my back. would recommend him to anyone. in fact,did! and this person had back surgery by dr.yoon.
in Newnan, GA |
I highly recommend Dr. Yoon. He and his surgical team successfully performed 2 lumbar spinal fusions & inserted rods & screws for stabilization & relieved the stenosis in my spine as well in the most effective manner. My post surgery status is excellent - the numbness in my legs & feet are gone & the pain associated with that is gone. It was the right decision to have this surgery & to have it done by Dr Yoon. Emory Orthopedic & Spine Hospital provided excellent post surgery care as well.
I had an XLIF procedure by Dr. Yoon after having 2 failed laminectomies at my local hospital, the second complicated by the development of an infection. I am 100% satisfied by Dr. Yoon who thoroughly explained my surgical options and his expectations for my recovery. I am markedly improved after the surgery. He is an excellent physician, knowledgeable, skilled and compassionate. I have already referred 2 patients to Dr. Yoon. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Yoon to any patient with back problems.
Lithonia, GA |
In my experience, Dr. Yoon is a compassionate, knowledgeable physician. I have already recommended him to others. His team also demonstrates high level of care.
Bonaire, GA |
Dr Yoon is a God send. Before surgery I had excruciating pain down back of right leg. I couldn't function at all. I am post-op three months and am a new person. Had an L4/5 laminectomy and spinal fusion. Pain was gone after I walked for first time after surgery. Recuperation is going well. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommenced Dr. Yoon and his incredible staff!!!
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Yoon is the best surgeon at Emory Orthopaedic Clinic. He fixed my cervical spine problems that I suffered with since 2003, another surgeon could not. He is an excellent surgeon who patiently answers your questions & has a great personality. His bedside manner was comforting. My pain radiated down my left arm, left shoulder blade into my hand. It was a stabbing, burning pain that was excruciating & constant. Dr. Yoon fixed me & gave me back my life, I am forever grateful. Need more space.
in Atlanta, GA |
Like Dr. Yoon I'm a cyclist and immediately felt that he really understood my challenges with my back condition and goals to return to health. While he has been very proactive in encouraging me to exercise and get back on the bike he has been very clear that I need to take it slow as I only get one chance to heal. As a person who is go go go I needed to hear that. So today, six months after surgery, my fusion is complete and am ready to resume my passion for cycling. Awesome job!
Riverdale, GA |
Awesome !!! , very respectful on blood concerns.
in Duluth, GA |
Dr. Yoon clearly explains what the problem is and exactly how he will repair it. He is very kind and caring when he speaks with you. He listens to everything you says and answers any and all questions. He never rushes you through an appointment, but spends all the time you need with you.
Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Yoon, listened first and then recommended other treatments prior to surgery which made me comfortable with working with him. Eventually surgery was needed in my case, and I didn't hesitate working with Dr. Yoon.
Gainesville, GA |
Dr. Yoon helped give me my life back after a bad fall! He is very knowledgeable and has a terrific staff!
Atlanta, GA |
Outstanding physician. He was very helpful, explained the risks and benefits, tried to help me understand long term prognosis of my spinal condition. Eventually operated on my lower spine, an 8 hour surgery. After 6+ years of severe pain, numbness and weakness following an accident and two prior surgeries, I am not completely pain free and have full use of m y legs at 1-year post surgery. I would highly recommend him not just for his surgical skills but his way of relating as a human being.
in Dawson, GA |
Dr. Yoon thoroughly explained my options. I am very satisfied with the results of my surgery. He is very caring and I have already recommended him to a friend of mine. I would highly recommend him to anyone with spine related pain.
in Carrollton, GA |
I would recommend Dr. Yoon. I am overweight and at first visit he was harsh but I needed to hear it. He was very pleased with my progress! I loved him and his office.
in Clarkston,GA |
Dr. Yoon, is a compassionate when it comes to his patients. I am very pleased to have him as my Doctor.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Yoon told me he can "fix" me of the severe pain I had in lower back...but first I went to a quack-o-practor who wanted a YEAR of treatments for me!!!...had two epidurals and a block...gave up and had the surgery and the pain is gone! I am very pleased and grateful to Dr. Yoon! I can actually walk my two big dogs again and expect to be hitting golf balls this summer. Looking back, I should have let him "fix" me long before I did.
in Mcdonough, GA |
Dr Yoon is a great surgeon. He literally restored my quality of life. I suffered from spinal stenosis for almost a year. I tried everything including visits to various pain doctors, epidurials, acupuncture and chiropractors. I was so scared of doing the back surgery. The moment I met Dr. Yoon, I felt real comfortable and also felt that I could place my life in his hands. He gave me such a feeling of confidence. Thank you, Dr. Yoon, you took my life out of a living hell and made me whole again
in Valley, AL |
I have degenerative disc disease and Chiari Malformation. I fell rupturing a disc. I was referred to Dr. Yoon In my initial visit, we discussed my neck also. Dr. Yoon wanted to have MRIs.of my neck and back. It was found that I needed surgery on my C5to9, the ruptured disc and scoliosis. I praise God Dr Yoon was my doctor. I'm free of pain and abl6 to walk again. He was willing to go the extra mile
Atlanta, GA |
Dr.Yoon took one look at what i needed done and told me everything was going to be fine after my surgery.thanks to him i got my feelin back in my right arm,he's the best at what he does and i have no concerns....love him will refer him to a family member or friend.
Atlanta, Georgia |
Dr. Yoon is a very skilled and confident surgeon. He told me during our consultation that he would make me feel better and he did. The night of the surgery, I felt relief immediately. I would highly recommend Dr. Yoon to anyone who needs back surgery.
in Douglasville, GA |
Very pleased with my recent Lumber Laminectomy surgery performed by Dr Yoon. I was having a lot of numbness and pain shooting down left leg and surgery completed took away the problems I was having. Great surgeon and very easy to talk to! I would certainly use him again if needed.
in Alpharetta, GA |
Dr. Yoon is caring and has the most sincere concern for his patients. He is an extremely skilled physician who uses his skill to change his patient's lives. Would highly recommend and trust Dr. Yoon. We feel very fortunate to have had him perform major spine surgery on my 84 year old father due to previous doctor in the practice being unavailable for emergency surgery. Very thankful for the good results!
in Covington, GA |
My wife required some extensive back surgery. After getting a 2nd opinion from Dr. Yoon, our reseach on his background showed some impressive information about his experience and accomplishments. Selecting Dr Yoon for her surgery was one of the best decisions we ever made, and The 6 hour surgery turned out to be highly successful. My wife had a 6 month recovery target and she made it with flying colors. Dr Yoon is skillful surgeon and a wonderful man and we highly recommend him.
in Greensboro, GA |
Dr. Yoon was a pleasure to work with. He was very thorough in his evaluation of my condition and very efficient in his surgical performance. He was also very accurate in his post operative assessment of how my condition would improve over time. The care received at Emory exceeded my expectations - all of the medical professionals encountered during this experience were excellent.
in Decatur, GA |
Dr. Yoon provided easy to understand information regarding my diagnosis and then options that made sense and were easy for me to review and make an informed decision. He did not pressure me one way or the other, but presented all available options and did so with care and compassion.
in Blairsville, GS |
Dr. Yoon basically gave me my life back. After a year of another back surgery, constant pain, missed work, and inability to do anything, he identified the problem, did outpatient surgery, and returned me to full mobility. My family and I are forever grateful
in Atlanta, GA |
I highly DO NOT Recommend Dr. Yoon period. I had an ACDF 2 LEVEL 4/5,5/6 neck fusion on 12/18/2014. It failed! Had to have another surgery to correct this one this time from the back of the neck, Posterior fusion with Rods and screws. This surgery was on 11/5/2015. Do NOT sign anything stating anyone can touch you BC after paying experts thousands it's now known Dr. Yoon did not do the first surgery. He was only in the OR for a combined 30 min. 2 15 min visits. I hired him not an attendee/reside
in Lithonia, GA |
Dr. Yoon was very welcoming, answered all my questions, was sympathetic, staff is awesomely friendly and welcoming. Everyone was super helpful, and knowledgeable. What I truly loved most is that I didn't feel rushed. Dr. Yoon, gave my family and I, eye to eye contact, confidence in his answers, and remained seated. Some Doctors stand, and wait at the door, which in my opinion says you're ready to go. After all the detailed introductions, and explainations, I was ready for the surgery. Thanks!
in Simpsonville, SC |
Dr. Yoon was abrupt, rude, and interrupted me while answering his first question What are you doing here today? I never completed a sentence without being interrupted during the minute exam. He refused to treat my condition because operating on my condition did not have a 95-99% chance of being completely successful. End of exam. I asked for a referral and he gave a partial name of someone he couldn't remember. I drove 3 hours each way for this exam just to be humiliated. NOT RECOMMENDED!
in BIRCHWOOD TN |
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK DR YOON FOR THE RELIEF OF PAIN IN LOWER BACK AND LEGS FIRST SURGERY 2011 L4 L5 SECOND SURGERY 2016 L3 L4 NO PAIN AFTER SURGERY I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND DR YOON AND HIS STAFF THANK YOU DAVID MCCLENDON
Have you seen Dr. Sangwook Yoon, MD?
Are you Dr. Yoon?