Neurology  |
Dr. Ruwani Gunawardane, MD
Dr. Ruwani Gunawardane, MD is a neurology doctor who practices in Fulton, MD. She is 55 years old and has been practicing for 27 years.

Center For Brain & Neurocare

7625 Maple Lawn Blvd Ste 260

Fulton, MD 20759

• CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Gunawardane

Dr. Gunawardane's Experience

Dr. Gunawardane's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurology

• Epilepsy
  • Essential Tremor
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Lyme Disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Restless Leg Syndrome
  • Seizure Disorders
  • Stroke
  • Syncope
  • Thrombosis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tremor
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Vertigo

• EEG (Electroencephalogram)
  • Non-Cosmetic Chemodenervation

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• Saint George`S University / School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1990
  • Coney Island Hospital
  • University Of MD Med Sys

Dr. Gunawardane has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Gunawardane does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Gunawardane and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Gunawardane's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Gunawardane to family and friends
3.6
Dr. Gunawardane's Performance
Ellicott City, MD |
I am a patient of Dr. R Gunawardane my visits have all been excellent. All the staff is professional and well skilled at this office. Each and every question was answered with concern and courtesy. Because of my medical condition she takes the needed time at my visit. I never feel rushed or silly for asking questions. Any test is explained along with paperwork on the topic. Dr. G is an example of patient care physician. I will continue to put my health in her hands. Happy patient, cjh
in Abingdon, MD |
My endocrinologist recommended Dr. G. I was experiencing very bad headaches to the point i could not go to work for days. I was diagnosed having migraines. Once DR. G determined the treatment for me (botox), I was like how is this supposed to cure my headaches? Well it did and it works wonders very quickly. I really like the office staff and her because she is always trying to improve by being up on upcoming and new methods. I would recommend her office to anyone suffering from head issues
Ellicott City, MD |
Dr. Gunawardane is amazing! I went to her after my regular neurologist couldn't crack what he called intractable cluster headache, but Dr. G figured out it was chronic migraine. I had my first round of Botox injections for my right-side only constant migraines, and since then, I have only needed to take rescue meds (I typically use Treximet, but also have Zembrace for true emergencies) during 3 days. My headaches have decreased in intensity.
in Columbia, MD |
Dr. G is an excellent physician. She is quite knowledgeable about internal medicine and neurology. She takes time with her patients, particularly those with chronic neurological disorders.
in Frederick, MD |
Dr Gunawardane is a fantastic, caring, knowledgeable neurologist. She has been my doctor for many years and has treated my late husband, my daughter and my newest husband on issues such as Epilepsy, Alzheimer's, strokes and other neuro conditions. We have visited many, many neurologists throughout the DC and Baltimore regions and Dr. Gunawardane is the best I have ever found!!
Severn, MD |
I don't usually take the time to write reviews about anything but considering the circumstances that I have just been through for the past 5 months - I just had too. In short - I was diagnosed with a rather large and rare clot in the brain and only because Dr. G took the time to really listen to me and send me to get a life-saving MRI. Prior to that I had made multiple visits to the Howard County General Hospital ER, my primary doctor and had been prescribed the wrong medication. Owe her my life
Columbia, MD |
I have been a patient for 1 year. I can't say enough about how good Dr G is. She is rare in this day and time. She greets her patients with the biggest smile. She always shows concern and compassion for her patients. Always willing to answer any and every question. She doesn't rush you, making sure the patient understands everything. She truly does care about all of her patients and it shows. I don't know how I would have handled my condition without her. She truly is at the top of her game!!!!
Sykesville, MD |
Dr. G is a very kind, caring and experienced doctor. She explains her answers in detail and her follow up with me has been excellent. She has been very proactive in getting me in to see other doctors when necessary. I would highly recommend her.
in Clarksville, MD |
I was referred to Dr. Gundwardane for my severe headaches. I received an appointment the same day I called. I was very impressed with Dr. G. She diagnosed my problem right away , which was confirmed by blood test results. She is a wonderful doctor and the treatment she started me on was quickly effective. I am very grateful for the excellent care I received from Dr. G Thank you Dr. G M. Shay
Baltimore, MD |
Dr. Gunawardane is an excellent physician who takes time with her patients to first, detect a problem, second, find a solution, and third, adeptly explain the process of treating the problem for the most successful outcome. I have MS and referred other patients with my condition to her and would not hesitate to tell others about her warm patient-focused personality to find successful solutions.
in BETHESDA, MD |
Dr Ruwani is the best in her field. Before I met this special lady, I had seen several neurologists, but they were not of much help. I suffered over 20 migraine episodes a month, and was put on all sorts of medications by other neurologists. After my first appointment with her, I was sure she was a keeper. She recommended several tests and after those, it was straight forward. It was not ''try this or that'' like the other doctors I had seen, we settled on Botox shots. Since I started my Botox
in Ellicott City, MD |
I think there are few neurologists as caring, compassionate, and dedicated to her patients as Dr. Ruwani Gunawardane. I have suffered with migraines for over 45 years and have continually sought a variety of treatments for them. Not until I met Dr. Gunawardane, have I felt the concern and seen thoroughness of such a professional. In my case, I see her as a “miracle worker”. My migraines have gone from 15 a month to three a month - something I never thought possible.
Baltimore, MD |
The office staff is rude and unprofessional. Though a member of my insurance network, her office tried to bill me for the difference between the "normal" charge and what insurance pays to network providers. She talks a lot, listens little. Often confused me with other patients and addressed parts of "my"medical history that weren't mine.. One visit she would tell me one thing, next visit she would contradict herself. Must allow an hour or more for waiting room prior to appt.
in Hagerstown, MD |
I have been seeing Dr. G for the last year due to multiple strokes. I have seen many Doctors in the past with no positive outcome or diagnosis. Coming to Dr G was like a Christmas miracle. My husband was my full time care giver because I was unable to complete daily functions on my own. After seeing Dr.G and being prescribed the correct medication by the second day I was walking by myself and getting dressed on my own. I attribute all my success and medical improvement to Dr. Gunawardane.
in Millersville, MD |
I am only rating this practice one star because it will not allow me to rate it as zero. If you want to see a microcosm of everything that is wrong with the health care system today, then by all means waste your time at this practice. If you value your time, health, and money avoid this practice like the plague! You will wait for hours to be seen and when you finally are seen you will be rushed through your appointment. You can see my full review on Google. Horrible!!!!!
in Fredericksburg, VA |
Starting seeing Dr. G for chronic migraines. She is professional, caring and extremely knowledgeable in her field. After years of searching for a migraine specialist, I am thankful I found Dr. G. The staff at Center for Brain and Neuro is great and I always feel that I am in good hands. Highly recommend Dr. Gunwardane for migraine treatments.
in Sykesville, MD |
When I met Dr. G, she reassured me that she would be with me through a diagnosis. She has more than kept her word. I’ve been a patient for about six months, and I’m always struck by the knowledge and compassion of Dr. G and her team. She is so thorough in her research and testing that I feel confident I am getting the best care possible. I would recommend the Center for Brain & Neuro Care to anyone in need of an analytical, tenacious, and attentive neurologist (and staff!).
Beltsville, MD |
Good service and staff
in Sparrows Point, MD |
I had a very pleasant experience. DR. G is funny, welcoming, and really easy to talk to. More importantly, she listens. She doesn’t just write you prescriptions and send you on your way. She asks a lot of questions and really takes in a lot of information before giving suggestions.
in Forest Hill, MD |
I have been under Dr Gunawardane's care since 2013. She was the first doctor after a 10 month exhaustive search to accurately diagnose me with atypical trigeminal neuralgia. Once diagnosed, Dr G. was able to find an amazing combination of medications with minimal side effects to keep my pain under control. I also have chronic migraines and Dr G. who always stays current with the latest therapies was able to treat them using Botox. Her staff is caring, compassionate and knowledgeable as well.
in Columbia, MD |
Dr G has been in my life for 15 years & I couldn't be happier. Since day one she has been an advocate for my health!! She takes the time to listen not only to me but she listened to my husband. As a spouse he has many questions & concerns and Dr G took the time to establish a rapport with both of us. Her personal touch is both affirming and validating as a patient. Dr G is not only a champion and advocate, but she's a friend. If you are looking for a Dr that will listen, you have found her!
in Columbia, MD |
When I first came to Dr. Gunawardane, I was a ton of prescription medication to deal with my seizures, anxiety, migraines, and chronic pain. Since I started seeing her about a year ago- I am a whole new person. She has me on a medicine regimen that finally works for me and fits in with my everyday life so that I can still function. I would recommend her to anyone! Love her!
in Elkridge, MD |
I have been a patient with Dr Ruwani Gunawardane for over 14 years and she was the only specialist to successfully customize a solution to my medical condition. Thanks to Dr. G, I can drive, work, and live a fuller lifestyle. When you visit her, she walks in with a genuine smile and bright personality., which makes me happier. I often ask questions about newer treatment technologies and alternative treatments. Dr G is on top of the latest medical research and the effectiveness of alternat
in Baltimore, MD |
I have seen Dr. Gunawardane twice in 2016. My first appointment was at 2:30pm. I arrived early to fill out paperwork etc. But I still did not get seen UNTIL 4:00pm. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE. I expressed this to her and she gave me excuses. She is a nice person and a good talker so I gave her a second chance. My next appt. a month later was at 9:00am. I did not get seen by her till 10:15am and was stopped from walking out the door. I was livid. More excuses. Not acceptable. Will not be returning.
in Columbia, MD |
Dr. G and her staff are truly kind, efficient, and generous practitioners. Their office is clean and they usually see me and my dad within 15 minutes of our arrival. She even takes you without an appt if you really need to see her - very accommodating. My father has been greatly helped under her care. A++
in Columbia, MD |
I love Dr. Gunawardane and really trust her and confide in her as my neurologist. When I started seeing her in October, I was doing terrible, but thanks to Dr. G I feel healthy again and like I can manage my illnesses! Also, I love the staff there.
Severna Park, MD |
Dr. G has worked diligently to help my husband manage MS. She is innovative and caring!
in Ellicott City, MD |
Dr. Gunawardane has been my Neurologist for the past seven years. I first met Dr. Gunawardane in March 2009 when I had been admitted to the Howard County Hospital. I had developed severe numbness in my body which began in my hands and feet and spread throughout the majority of my body. I was admitted to the hospital from the ER and was given a variety of tests all with no conclusion. Dr. Gunawarane who had been the Neurologist on call for the Hospital saw me on the second day of these sympto
in Columbia, MD |
The doctor gave me a bunch of injections, but NEVER told me that no insurance plan covers these injections. As I am walking up to the front to check out she says, that it will be $150. As I am checking out, that $150 becomes close to $400. I was NEVER told that my insurance wouldn't cover these. They later sent me a bill for another $100. A second opinion from another doc, questioned the need for the injections. Talk about feeling ripped off. Had I known it cost me $500, I would have passed.
in Silver Spring, MD |
Dr. G and her husband are a great team. They have helped me tremendously. The new office is a nice bright space, however my only complaint is the wait time for a scheduled appointment. Granted, she will squeeze in other patients, who have a medical emergency, instead of having them go to the ER where they don't give you what you need. I am not 100% pain free yet, but I am getting there, with the help of the Gunawardane team.
in COlumbia MD |
Dr. G is amazing!!!!! Since she has been in her new office it is totally a new change. Her staff is super sweet and accommodating. It is a pleasure whenever I have to visit her new Maple Lawn location.
in Bowie, MD |
Dr Gunawardane is an excellent physician. I've been a patient for a little over 2 years. When I first started with her she gave me a thorough consultation and optimized my treatment plan with the medications for my condition. She takes her time and is very knowledgeable on the latest current therapies in treating me. I can always depend on her whenever I need to talk to her urgently. Her gifted skills & knowledge has given me a better quality of life. Awesome doctor who always shows compasion.
in Frederick Maryland |
Dr Gunawardane has been my doctor for over 10 years . She is so caring and compassionate . She calls me from her house even on weekends to insure I am doing ok . She is a delight to go see I travel over 60 miles one way to see her and it is worth it . The neurologist I had before was no comparison to her . When my insurance company doesn't want to allow the medicine she has personally contacted them and resolved the issues
in Edgewood,MD |
I have been seeing Dr Gunawardane for over 15 years now and when other doctors didn't know what my problem was she diagnosed me on the first visit and got it right spot on. She is very accommodating, and personable with her patients that's why I travel from Harford County to see her. She goes above and beyond to see me in the event of an emergency and she also treats my family members as if they were hers.
in Rockville, MD |
Dr. Gunawardane is an excellent physician. I went to her for intense headaches a few years ago. She was able to quickly identify a short list of possible issues and we started on a treatment plan immediately. I no longer suffer. She makes me feel comfortable by listening to me and asking relevant questions. She and her staff treat me very respectfully, and they understand how to provide excellent care regardless of your insurance. I feel human again and attribute that all to Dr. G's care.
in Columbia, MD |
I am 36 years old newly diagnosed with MS. Dr. G came to the hospital held my hand and told me with the most kindest heart. She has done everything to make sure I have the very best. She was at my side everyday while I was in the hospital. She has spent hours of her personal time on the phone with my insurance to get the medication I need. Matthew is amazing as well he goes above and beyond to help me. Everyone in the office is so kind. It is nice knowing I have them on my side to help me fight!
in Mount Airy MD |
I have to say she is an amazing doctor . She takes her time with you and does not push meds on you .I have multiple sclerosis and i thought the meds just weren't for me even after taking them for a couple of years soo i asked if i could go off of them she said if thats what you think is best . Well let me do tell yoou i was back in her office and was back on my meds . I have her to thank for my headaches being controled and my mulitple sclerosis controled also. She is the best all around .
Ellicott City, MD |
Dr. Gunawardane is a caring professional doctor who goes the extra mile for her patients. She always listens to what her patient's have to say, answers all of your questions and gets to the bottom of what is going on so that you are on the right medication to fix your problem. From reading a few previous reviews it appears a few people weren't happy with there visits but everyone will not be happy with every doctor they go to and all personalities don't work together That's why there are choices
in Columbia MD |
Dr G is very high energy, so be sure to write down your questions to be sure you ask. She'll gladly take the time to answer them but you have to be assertive. Things are a lot less hectic with the new office. The new staff is very nice, but they're still new, so Matthew may be the only one who can answer your question.
in Laurel, Md. |
Wonderful!I would never leave this doctor.She is very professional and knowlegable. Dr.Gunawardane is also flexible and friendly.
in Columbia, MD |
Her new office is beautiful and the staff is courteous and polite. I am always able to get an urgent appointment right away. There may be a wait time, but I'm so happy to be able to get in on the same day or the following, and Dr. G always spends a lot of time with me. She is very thorough and caring. Good doctors are worth waiting for.
She has been helpful in educating, assisting, and helping my wife and I cope with the life style changes in her health. When we were paying for snake oil and useless dead end doctors Dr. G took time to look for the root causes of my wife's condition and actively pursue a resolution verses masking the symptoms.
She is an arrogant Dr who knows nothing about medicine
in Cheltenham, Maryland |
Diagnosed my condition, put me on appropriate meds. She is always searching for better meds and treatment for me. Has a motherly spirit.
in Columbia, MD |
So patient. Very knowledgable. Area's finest neurologist. Amazing care. Office staff is also great! Dr. G has helped me beyond praise filled words.
in Columbia, MD |
Very poor, she just wants to push her drug on to me
in Westminster, MD |
Dr. Gunawardane is a caring and outstanding physician who listens. She is a pleasant and upbeat person who makes you feel important and valued. Her aggressive philosophy of medicine ensures that you get the best outcomes for your illness. I highly recommend her.
in Kensington, MD |
Dr. G is a great example of how a doctor should be. She has gone above and beyond not only for my wife but ALL her patients. She has always taken time with my wife, listens to her issues, questions, complaints and makes sure my wife leaves the appointment happy. She cares to see people get better and improve their quality of living to enjoy life and be happy.
Have you seen Dr. Ruwani Gunawardane, MD?
Are you Dr. Gunawardane?