Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD

Dr. Phitayakorn
Telehealth services available

Massachusetts General Hospital

15 Parkman St # 460 Boston, MA 02114

Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD is a General Surgery Specialist in Boston, MA and has over 18 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH SCHOOL OF MEDICINE medical school in 2002. He is affiliated with Massachusetts General Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Phitayakorn to book an appointment.

Compare with other General Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Phitayakorn with our nearby General Surgery Specialists at Lawrence Memorial Hospital of Medford.

Make an appointment at Lawrence Memorial Hospital of Medford today at (781) 536-5401.

provider hospital

These providers are on the medical staff of Lawrence Memorial Hospital of Medford.

Dr. Phitayakorn's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Phitayakorn

Dr. Phitayakorn?
  • Listened & answered questions (194)
  • Explained conditions well (193)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (193)
  • Long wait times (159)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (1)
explains everything in detail. Available via his cell phone after hours and on weekends for questions/concerns.
Sep 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. Phitayakorn is not just an incredible surgeon, but also an incredible person. He was always available from the moment of delivering my diagnosis (Medullary Thyroid Cancer - extremely rare) to this day (1.5 years later). My cancer requires that a surgeon of excellence diagnose and perform the surgery due to its rarity and complexity. My surgery went perfectly and my scar healed amazingly. Dr. Phitayakorn communicates clearly and with kindness. He was always available and he saved my life. HE SAVED MY LIFE! I'm forever grateful and would not hesitate to recommend him to others. Dr. Phitayakorn cares about his patients, listens, makes sure you understand every step of the process, and I am blessed to have had him perform my lifesaving surgery.
Katie – Aug 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. Phitayakorn is an excellent surgeon. He takes time to answer questions and concerns. He is very caring. His staff is wonderful. It's easy to schedule an appointment and wait time is brief. I would highly recommend him.
Aug 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. P was wonderful! Very helpful and compassionate! He listened to my concerns and was so kind. The staff was fantastic as well and the personal attention was excellent! I appreciated the good communication! A+++!
Charlotte Parnagian – Jul 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
I was very nervous at my first appointment to talk about surgery. Within minutes Dr. Phitayakorn explained Parathyroid surgery and calmed me right down. He gave me his cellphone number in case I had any questions. He called me the night before surgery and the day after surgery. He is an extraordinary person. He is a brilliant surgeon and a compassionate, kind man. It was a pleasure to hear his reassuring voice each time he called. I would recommend him and his excellent team to everyone.
Joyce D/ Needham – Jun 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
I had been putting off surgery because I was not comfortable with the information I was getting. After I finally saw Dr. Phitayakorn I booked the appointment immediately. I had a complicated thyroid/nodule removal and I was so glad I was under the care of Dr. Phitayakorn and his team.. He is very attentive, kind, and extremely competent. Dr. Phitayakorn also gave me his cell phone number in case I had any concerns or questions before or after surgery. I cannot say enough. I will recommend him to anyone needing general surgery.
Mar 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. Phitayakorn and his team provided a comfortable surgical experience from start to finish. I arrived on time and was escorted back within minutes. His assistant was friendly and helpful. Dr. Phitayakorn answered all of my questions and concerns regarding my cyst removal. I had been warned by numerous friends the the procedure was quite painful but found it to be quite the opposite under Dr. Phitayakorn's care. He followed up to check on my healing and comfort. I highly recommend his office.
Bergen H Daley – Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. P had the unenviable task of having to remove a huge lipoma from my armpit area that had become unsightly-and so large that nerves were entangled around it. He did an excellent job. He placed the incision where it would show the least. Aside from two acetaminophen in hospital, I had absolutely no pain post-surgery. I was provided if painkillers if I needed them. I'm no hero, but I never needed any. The doctor had great communication skills, very personable, kind and informative. The entire team involved in my care, including his office assistant, were lovely to work with and very comforting. He checked in when I awoke from anesthesia, he followed up personally via phone with lab results and then we had a tele- visit (great so I did not have to go back into town from the 'burbs) about two weeks later. It was bit of wait to schedule the surgery - but don't let that deter you. He is worth the wait. Hopefully I won't need him again, but would not hesitate to use again
Feb 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Very caring and empathetic, did an outstanding job removing multiple lipomas from my back/shoulder. Healed up very well. He was always available to answer questions or any other concerns that I may have had. Outstanding surgeon!!
Bruce – Feb 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Highly recommend Dr. P for thyroid/parathyroid surgery. Answers questions and concerns; does not make you feel rushed. Warm and caring. Great patient/doctor relationship. Hospital staff couldn’t say enough about him which made me comfortable I chose the right surgeon
Elaine in Fitchburg, MA – Feb 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
He performed surgery on my thyroid. Great communicator, I knew exactly what he was going to do. He kept my wife informed throughout the day of surgery. Outstanding results!
Drew Staniar – Oct 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. Phitayakorn and his staff provided excellent advice and assistance regarding thyroid issues. The explanations were clear and helpful, the procedures to investigate options were skillfully performed, and the end result was a great relief and very positive. After the office visits he followed by calling me personally to provide test result information as soon as it was available. An excellent physician.
Jul 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. Phitayakorn removed a cyst from my husband's shoulder on May 2019 in MGH. He is an excessent and friendly surgeon. Our family appreciate his hard work for the care of my husband.
Babasalji in Boston, MA – Jun 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
I had to visit Dr. Phitayakorn last week to have a large skin tag removed from my shoulder. I had never met him before but within minutes of meeting him it wasn't hard to understand all his 5 star ratings. He is kind, considerate and takes time to explain exactly what he was doing. I must say it was a painless experience and although I hope I don't need any surgery any time soon, if I do, He's my guy.
May 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr. Phitayakorn is the best. He is empathetic, patient, very kind and above all a fantastic surgeon. Dr. Phitayakorn removed multiple deep angio-lipomas from my thigh, he used an ultra sound machine to find them and then removed them. I was nervous going into the appointment, but Dr. Phitayakorn quickly made my fears go away; he played music of my choice and explained everything to me as he was doing it. What's most impressive about Dr. Phitayakorn is his suture technique, it is unbelievable; my scar is nearly invisible. If you look at my leg you would never know I had anything removed. If you need any kind of lumps or bumps removed from your body I highly recommend Dr. Phitayakorn, his scars are unreal.
May 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
outstanding not only in his surgical skills but also in his wonderful bedside manner! The office staff were found to be very professional and caring as well.
Mar 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Dr Phitayakorn removed my thyroid on 2/26/19. His compassion and intelligence is outstanding. He explained everything and even gave me his cell phone number if I had any questions. I would highly recommend him!
Mar 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
What a skilled and caring doctor! So grateful to have been referred to him. Couldn’t be more satisfied with the care I received from Dr. Phitayakorn, his staff and all at Mass. General Hospital.
Liane in Boston – Mar 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
I was very impressed by the fact that Dr. Phitayakorn took the effort and time to personally set my mind at ease by walking me into surgery. I went into surgery without a care in the world. I would like to thank him for a job well done. I would highly recommend him.
Arthur in NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA – Jan 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?
Tremendous surgeon with great bedside manner.
Nov 17, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Roy Phitayakorn, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Phitayakorn?

Each patient is an individual who deserves the best possible care.

• General Surgery

Massachusetts General Hospital-Endocrine Surgery
2009
Case Western Reserve University General Surgery
2006
University of Illinois at Chicago Masters in Health Professions Education (MHPE)
2003
University Hospitals of Cleveland
2002
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
1998
Allegheny College

• Recipient of the 2002 Sheehan/Cheke Memorial Prize for Exemplifying the Patient-Physician Relationship, May 2002
  • Recipient of the 2002 Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey Humanism in Medicine Student Award, May 2002
  • Best 2007 UIC MHPE Thesis Award, June 2008
  • Recipient of the 2005-2006 Association for Surgical Education and American College of Surgeons’ Surgical Education Research Fellowship (SERF), April 2006
  • Recipient of the 1998 “Dean’s Award for Leadership” for Working to Strengthen the Allegheny Community., May 1998

• Thyroid Disease (Biographies of Disease), 11/8/2010
  • Hyperparathyroid Crisis, June 2008
  • Incidental Thyroid Carcinoma in Patients with Graves' Disease., Mar 2008
  • What Constitutes Adequate Surgical Therapy for Benign Nodular Thyroid Disease?, 6/1/2009
  • An Investigation of Epidemiological Factors Associated with Large Nodular Goiter., 6/1/2006
  • Jaw Tumor: An Uncommon Manifestation of Primary Hyperparathyroidism., Fall 2010
  • Difficult Problems in Thyroid Cancer Surgery., Feb 2010
  • Incidence and Location of Abnormal Ectopic Parathyroid Glands., Mar 2006
  • Follow-up after Surgery for Benign Nodular Thyroid Disease: Evidence-Based Approach., July 2008
  • Parathyroidectomy: Overview of the Anatomical Basis and Surgical Strategies for Parathyroid Operations., June 2007
  • Laparoscopic and Selective Open Resection for Adrenal and Extraadrenal Neuroendocrine Tumors., Jan 2008
  • Follicular Thyroid Adenoma and Carcinoma., In Press