Dr. Roger W. Childress, DDS

Dr. Roger W. Childress, DDS

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery | Male | 52 years old

Learn about this dentist

I am honored to serve you and your family with exemplary care, in a warm, caring, and comfortable atmosphere.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Childress' Experience

Visiting Dr. Childress

Dr. Childress accepts 21 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Childress has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Childress' Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (28)
Dr. Childress Says:

in Chattanooga, TN |
Dr. Childress removed my son's wisdom teeth. From our first appointment everything went very smoothly. Very pleasant and helpful office staff. Dr. Childress was great.
Lucerne, LU |
We had a great experience when Dr. Childress removed my daughter's wisdom teeth and would highly recommend him to others needing oral surgery. His entire office staff was organized, caring, and compassionate.
in Ooltewah, TN |
My daughter recovered very quickly from her wisdom teeth extractions. Dr Childress was very caring and even called to check on her afterward. I was totally impressed and pleased!
Cleveland, TN |
Excellent care
in Chattanooga TN |
Very helpful with answering questions and very compassionate.
in Chattanooga, TN |
Called in the evening to check on my daughter after an oral surgery procedure that morning. He cares about his patients! Highly recommended!
in Apison, TN |
My daughter had her wisdom teeth removed by Dr Childress. He made her feel very comfortable. He wheeled her out to her car, instead of having his assistant do it. He also called to check on her while on vacation with his wife. That to me is deserves 5 stars.
in Chattanooga, TN |
I would highly recommend Dr. Childress! I have trusted his expertise for years with my children's care as well as my own. He not only very knowledgable, but he is very patient and takes the time to answer all questions and eases your mind on any concerns you may have. He has the best bedside manner.
Have you seen Dr. Roger W. Childress, DDS?
Are you Dr. Childress?

Compare Dr. Childress

Compare this Dentist
View other dentists with similar experience to find the right dentist for you.

Dr. Childress says...

I am Dr. Bill Childress, and I am so happy to be back home in Tennessee since 2010, after 21 years in the United States Air Force.  I am originally from LaFollette, Tennessee, where my mother still lives in my childhood home.  At age 85, she just retired from teaching, after 63 years in the classroom, the last 40 in Kindergarten.  I look forward to practicing my life's work for many years, but probably not until I'm 84!  My father was also an educator in Campbell County for 39 years, and together, my parents are part of my inspiration to serve my community and my country.  I also have two uncles who practiced dentistry in Tennessee for over 50 years each.  My brother is an internal medicine/infectious disease physician in Virginia, and many, many more family members served their communities and country as educators, farmers, and members of the military.

During my years in the military I completed a six-year residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery, through which I earned the degree of medical doctor, in addition to my dental degree.  I and the two doctors I practice with at East Brainerd Oral Surgery, are all "dual-degree oral surgeons," that is, we each have both Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degrees, as well as Doctor of Medicine (MD) degrees.  My training in the Air Force was a world class, cutting edge education. After I graduated from medical school in 1998, I completed a general surgery internship year, in which I performed general surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, intensive care service, eye, ear, nose and throat (EENT) surgery, and anesthesia service.

Our approach to private practice oral surgery is, of course, to give our patients the very best oral surgery care, in a state of the art facility, but you can get that anywhere. East Brainerd Oral Surgery offers the technology you expect in oral surgery, but you will also receive personalized service from a support staff that is friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. When I perform your surgery, I will call you the same day to check on you. I call you. Not my surgical assistant, not my nurse, not my receptionist. I call you. And you will have my personal cell phone number if you need to call me before I get the chance to call you. You will know the peace of mind that your doctor can be reached if you have questions or concerns after your surgery.

I earned my bachelor's degree in microbiology in three years from the UTK, and the, at age 21, moved to Memphis for dental school at the UT Health Sciences Center. I graduated with my dental degree in 1989, and entered the USAF. My first year in the Air Force, I completed a General Practice Residency at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. From there, I married Betsy and moved to MacDill AFB in Tampa, Florida, where I was a general dentist for four years. Our first child, Justin, was born in Tampa in 1993. When he was six months old, we moved to San Antonio, where I started my residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery in 1994 at Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland AFB. Our daughter Meredith was born there in 1998, the year I graduated from medical school at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center. I completed the OMS residency in 2000, and the Air Force sent us to Eglin AFB near Destin, Florida, where we stayed for three years, when the Air Force moved us back to San Antonio in 2003. The next seven years were spent back at WHMC, where I served as a staff member, teaching in the OMS residency, and finally as the Director of the program. I was responsible for the training of 28 Air Force oral surgeons.

I am certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, and a Fellow in American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.

I firmly believe that God led me to Chattanooga, after showing me other options. We considered Johnson City and Knoxville. We invested in a market analysis of the Johnson City area, and learned that while it would have been a great place to live and practice oral surgery, it was not the right time to start a brand new practice in that city. I sent letters of introduction to six oral surgeons in there, to introduce myself and my business partner, and figure out if any of them were ready to retire and sell their practices. We didn't hear anything from any of them until six months later, and one of them wrote back to say that there were not enough patients for two more surgeons. The very same day we got that letter, neighbors in Texas were loading up a moving truck and moving to Chattanooga. My daughter's best friend's father had left a job at Toyota to accept a job at the new Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga.

My family enjoys outdoor life, fishing, boating, and a place where there are four seasons. Since Chattanooga is seemingly on the way to everywhere, we have enjoyed family visits and friends passing through, from all walks of our lives. We have attended Christway Community Church in Ooltewah since we moved here in 2010. I have been so blessed to participate in dental mission trips to Honduras in 2013 and 2015, with my church and members of the East Brainerd Oral Surgery staff. My wife and children also attended mission trips with Christway in 2011, 2012, and 2014.

I would be honored to care for you and your family's oral surgery needs. Call 423-296-8210 for an appointment.

Dr. Childress' Care Philosophy

I am honored to serve you and your family with exemplary care, in a warm, caring, and comfortable atmosphere.

Dr. Childress says...

I have been placing dental implants since 1989, and by now, have probably placed well over 1000 implants.  At East Brainerd Oral Surgery, we use a cone beam scanner to create a three-dimensional image of your face and mouth, to determine the best treatment plan for you.  We have a dedicated staff member, Jewel, who is our Implant Treatment Coordinator, and she partners with your general dentist throughout your course of treatment, so that your personal plan stays on schedule, from tooth extraction, to placement of the implant, to placement of the crown.  You're in good hands with my team.

Dr. Childress says...

It's great to hear from our patients that they have been pleased with their experience at East Brainerd Oral Surgery.  I also want to know if there is ever something we can do better.  It has been our philosophy from day one in 2010, that the doctor calls his patient after his or her surgery, to check on their recovery.  We get great feedback directly from our patients, answering questions, many times, before they turn into actual concerns. When you review us on our Facebook or Google Plus pages, we are able to respond to your concerns as needed.

Dr. Childress' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• Facial Trauma

Wilford Hall US Air Force MC

Completed in 2000

University Of Tennessee

Graduated in 1985

Dr. Childress does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Childress and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

• Oral Surgical Procedures
  • Simple Tooth Extractions
  • Teeth Extraction

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.