Dr. Robert Zehr, MD

Dr. Robert Zehr, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Zehr Center for Orthopaedics 2659 Professional Cir Ste 1110 Naples, FL 34119 Get Directions

The hallmark virtues upon which our practice is founded--Wisdom, Integrity, Experience and Compassion--inspire each member of the patient care team to reach beyond themselves to provide you the highest quality in patient care, prudent counsel, clinical expertise and most importantly -- true concern for YOU, our patient, for whom we are honored to care.

Robert J. Zehr, MD is a board certified, fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon and the founder of The Zehr Center for Orthopaedics, a private orthopaedic surgery practice located in Naples, FL. Specifically he specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery, complex revision joint surgery, knee arthroscopy and trauma reconstruction.  Dr. Zehr has over 25 years of orthopaedic surgical experience in complex joint reconstruction and rehabilitation, having been in both the academic environment of the Cleveland Clinic for 15 years and private practice for the past 10 years. Prior to being sent to Southwest Florida in 1998 to help develop the Cleveland Clinic Naples, Dr. Zehr was the Head of Orthopaedic Oncology for The Cleveland Clinic Foundation where he came on staff after a prestigious fellowship in orthopaedic oncology at the University of Florida and his residency training at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

Further career success was achieved while an attending physician at the Cleveland Clinic Naples, where Dr. Zehr distinguished himself as its Executive Director, Chief of Staff and Head of Orthopaedic Surgery while maintaining a full and thriving surgical practice. With the abrupt departure of the Cleveland Clinic from the Naples, FL area, but still wanting to practice in the Southwest Florida community where he had practiced since 1998, Dr. Zehr began his new venture into solo orthopaedic practice in late 2007.  His highly successful joint replacement practice has positioned him as the highest volume hip replacement surgeon in Collier County and the leader in outpatient joint replacement surgery through his surgery center, Seaside Surgery Center.

Dr. Zehr's Experience

See how Dr. Zehr's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Zehr

Dr. Zehr accepts 8 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Zehr has admitting privileges.

Dr. Zehr's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zehr to family and friends
Dr. Zehr's Performance
in Bonita Springs, FL |
Doc. Zehr is the most Humble person we have ever met! On our first visit, he was very careful to evaluate my wife's groin pain. So he send us to see a pain managements & try other treatment, to make sure that the pain did not come from another source. After 5 different kinds of Doc. & treatment, 5 X-rays, 3 MRIs ; two cortisones nothing worked, or help! The last Doc. we saw, he referred us to another orthopedic doctor, but we surely wanted Doc. Zehr to do the surgery We are glad we did.
We're glad you did too Patsy! Thank you for placing your confidence in the Zehr Center and we wish you all the best in your new pain-free life!
in Naples, FL |
I was given a three ring binder at the beginning. I read it and followed it. Everything went exactly as told. I am amazed that a total hip replacement can be so easy considering how intricate it is. One of the nice items is that Dr. Zehr performs the procedure. Not an assistant. I am extremely pleased with him and his organization.
You're right Mike, that a total hip replacement is an intricate operation. But I have been performing this surgery for over 25 years, and choose the most advanced and beneficial surgical techniques for my patients. You were a big part of your successful outcome - you read and followed the Guidebook! Thank you for your kind review.
in Naples, FL |
I Highly recommend him to friends, family and compatriots looking for competent, friendly, courteous frontal approach total hip replacement. His experience is next to none, + 1300 surgeries as of start of 2017. His explanations, bed side manners and documentation are some of his strengths. His office support team and clinical surgery team are efficient, courteous and thorough! The nearly double cost of the procedure compared to the one available in the Canadian private system was well worth it
Alain, Thanks so much for your recommendation, and for including kind words about my world-class office staff and clinical support team - they are the best! We're pleased that you are satisfied - and look forward to seeing you - as a visitor - next time you're in sunny Naples.
Naples, FL |
I feel very lucky to have found Dr. Zehr who performs total hip replacement using the "Direct Anterior Approach." With this technique, there are no restrictions to be followed after surgery by the patient. I was walking totally unassisted within 4 days. Pain was minimal - easily handled with OTC Tylenol. I can cross my legs at the hip; get into and out of the car without pain; pick things up off the floor; and walk my dog. At 72 years old, I feel like I have a new lease on life!
You DO have a new lease on life! A life without pain! And we are so proud of you for doing your part with rehab and post-surgery care to help create this successful outcome. Congratulations! And thank you for taking the time to review us here.
in Marco Island, FL |
The likely hood to recommend Doctor Zehr would be zero. He did a hip replacement on me March 8 2016. I went through all the therapy, things seemed fine but I had this groin pain and could not lift my leg up without help. Went to his office heard a lot of "man up" talk. They sent me to Pain management to blow me off. I came back to them seeing only the pa , they said these things take time . I'm 11 months can't lift the leg yet went to New York HSS MRI shows muscle atrophy and tendon trauma .
in Sanibel, FL |
Dr. Zehr and his entire staff are competent, caring, and responsive. Their system for a hip replacement is efficient and very organized. Their communication answers all questions about the procedure. The entire experience from first meeting to being released was as painless as the recovery.
Thank you Phyllis! We love the word "painless"! We're glad you found value in our guidebook and we are proud of you for doing the hard work of rehab!
knowledgeable, kind, professional, thorough
Thank you Mike! Short and sweet!
in Naples, FL |
I had excellent results from my hip replacement surgery. I recommend that you and spouse carefully review his "Hip Replacement Guide Book" for similar results. I am having my other hip replaced by Dr. Zehr in 6 months.
Thank you for your testimony Robert! Of course we're as pleased with your excellent results as you are! Looking forward to relieving the pain in your other hip soon.
in Bonita Springs, FL |
The overall process was so controlled and understood ahead of time that great results were inevitable. The key for me was the therapy plan after surgery. Especially the 6 day a week in-home therapy, in my opinion, was the reason for such quick recovery of the hip replacement. In two months able to do everything: biking, golf and tennis for a 73 year old guy!
You're 73 years-young Andy! Proud of you for putting in the hard work of therapy. You discovered the key and unlocked the door to a pain-free life!
in Naples, FL |
Had anterior hip replacement as out-patient at Seaside Surgery Center. Avoided all the potential side-effects of a hospital stay, and was walking without a walker or cane in 4 days. Pain that nagged at me pre-surgery is long gone, and now at 6 weeks I am fully back to yoga, golf, biking and a full life of fitness and fun.
Two great choices you made there Robert - anterior approach hip replacement and same-day outpatient surgery at our beautiful new Seaside Surgery Center in Naples, Florida. We're glad to hear your pain-free life is full of fitness and fun!
in Ft Myers, FL |
I am so thankful I was referred to Dr. Zehr by a neighbor. Words can not describe what a wonderful experience having him perform my total hip replacement was. Thank You Dr. Zehr, you gave me my life back. Never having any major surgery before in my life, I was quite apprehensive. The office staff and the hospital staff were outstanding in relieving all of that. 5 STARS + TO ALL.
You are so very welcome Randy! We're glad you felt comfortable in our care. Best of everything to you!
in Naples, FL |
The pre surgical information provided is outstanding. Totally prepares you for a scary sounding surgery. I was out of the hospital the day after surgery, and climbing stairs in my 2 story condo. The method Dr. Zehr used left me in better shape than I have been for years. I took a trip only 4 months after hip replacement and I didn't have even a hint of a limp. Range of motion is better than I can remember! I would recommend Dr. Zehr to anyone that I care about.
We do believe that an educated patient is a happier patient - more confident in the procedures and has the best expectations for the outcomes. The direct anterior approach is the best approach for total hip replacement surgery. Thank you for putting your trust in the ZCO team!
in Naples, FL |
From day 1 I felt at ease with the Dr. Everyone associated with him are angels.
Indeed they are Mark! In fact, we call our office staff the ZCO Angels! Thanks for your kind recommendation.
in Immokalee, FL |
If you are considering a hip replacement, it should be the Anterior approach. Dr Zehr Is highly experienced in this precise hip replacement. His team from the office staff to the OR team all work together & you are well aware that you are in good hands. Your Guide Book given to you prior to surgery prepares you for pre-op, post-op, physical therapy and answers many questions you may have. I am grateful for my new hip! Thank you Dr Zehr & team!
Congratulations on your successful outcome Fatima! You studied the Guide Book and were prepared every step of the way to do everything YOU could do for a successful surgery. Thank you for your recommendation.
in Moneta Virginia |
The expertise exhibited and friendliness of Dr. Zehr and his entire staff bolstered my confidence through out the preparation and recovery period. The BOOK provided to us is written in terms that spelled out everything required before and after surgery. Bases on my positive experience, have recommended 2 people in which both had surgeries with excellent results.
We thank you Ronald, and we know your friends thank you too! We're very glad you took advantage of our Guide Book.
in naples,fl |
it's hard to believe that a hip replacement could be an enjoyable experience,but it sure was. no pain and the best care and attention that could be provided. thank you DR ZEHR & STAFF
You said the two words we love to hear - "no pain"! Thank you for your recommendation.
in Bonita Springs, FL |
The whole experience was great from the beginning to the last appointment. I recommend him to everyone who asks me about my hip.
We're so glad you are satisfied Cindy! Thank you for all of your recommendations.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Zehr, MD?

Compare Dr. Zehr

}

Dr. Zehr's Care Philosophy

Dr. Zehr says...

Dr. Zehr concentrates on conditions of the hip and knee joints. Dr. Zehr was one of the first, and still is one of the few orthopaedic surgeons in Southwest Florida to perform the direct anterior approach to hip replacement using the specialized Hana Table. He recently performed the area's first same-day outpatient total hip replacement at Seaside Surgery Center in Naples, where he serves as Co-Founder, CEO and Medical Director. Seaside has recently acquired the Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery System, which Dr. Zehr uses to perform partial knee replacements. He is one of only four doctors in Southwest Florida certified on the Mako system. The system at Seaside is one of two between Naples and Venice. The other is at Physicians Regional Medical Center, where Dr. Zehr also practices. Seaside recently installed the fully integrated Arthrex Synergy UHD 4K imaging system, the only ASC to have one. Only 6 other hospitals in the country have graduated to this level of technology.

Dr. Zehr says...

Total Hip Replacement can be done through several different approaches to the hip joint.  The direct anterior approach allows to surgeons to enter the hip joint without cutting through any muscle which results in far less pain post operatively. In addition this approach uses fluoroscopic technology to allow a far more accurate placement of the components of the hip replacement. Less pain, more accurate, quicker recovery and no post operative restrictions of motion are why patients are demanding this approach for their hip replacement surgery

Dr. Zehr has performed hip replacement surgery using the direct anterior approach more than 1200 times and currently does more hip replacement surgeries in the Naples, FL area than any other surgeon.

Dr. Zehr's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• "Americas Top Surgeons" - Consumers Research Council, 2002-2011
    • Cambridge Who's Who of Executives and Professionals, May 2007
    • Best Doctors in America, 1998-2000
    • "Top Doctor" - Castle-Connolly, 2004-2011
    • Allograft-Prosthesis Composite vs. Megaprosthesis in Proximal Femoral Reconstruction, 1996
    • Abductor Reattachment with a Custom Proximal Femoral Replacement Prosthesis, 2002
    • Enchondroma Associated with Pagets Disease, 2000

University of Missouri-St. Louis

Graduated in 1976

University of Missouris-St. Louis

Graduated in 1979

Dr. Zehr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zehr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery