General Surgery  |
Dr. Robert Yates, MD
Dr. Yates is a board certified surgeon with advanced fellowship training in minimally invasive (laparoscopic and endoscopic) surgery. His clinical interests include the management of hernias, including inguinal/groin, ventral, incisional and hiatal hernias, and the surgical management of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract with a particular focus on disorders of the esophagus and stomach. He is a surgeon in the University of Washington Department of Surgery and the UW Medicine Hernia Center at Northwest Hospital. Dr. Yates received his medical degree from the Ohio State University College of Medicine and completed his internship and residency training in general surgery at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He then completed an advanced minimally invasive surgery fellowship at the Center for Videoendoscopic Surgery at the University of Washington.

University of Washington Surgical Services and Hernia Center

• Premera Blue Cross
  • Providence Health Plans
  • Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Yates

The opportunity to provide surgical care to patients is a true privilege. Patients and their families place a tremendous amount of faith and trust in their surgeon, and I take that responsibility very seriously. I believe that patients do not simply have a disease that needs treatment; rather, each person has a unique set of clinical and social factors that define the goals and expectations for their surgical care. I strive to understand these factors for each patient and, whenever possible, develop and implement a treatment plan that is congruent with their goals and expectations. I encourage patients to ask questions and be active participants in their clinical decision-making process. It is particularly important to me that each patient fully understands, and has confidence in, the treatment plan that we have developed. Ultimately, it is my goal to ensure that each patient receives with the safest, most effective, and least invasive treatment possible.

Dr. Yates' Experience

Dr. Yates' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in General Surgery

• Port Placements or Replacements
  • Stomach Surgery
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Ventral Herniorrhaphy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• Miami University
  • University Of Washington Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2015
  • Sarnoff Cardiovascular Research Fellowship
    Other Education | Completed 2005

Dr. Yates has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Yates does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Yates and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Yates' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Yates to family and friends
Dr. Yates Says:

Thank you for taking the time to provide me feedback on your experience with me and the University of Washington Surgical Services and Hernia Center. We will do our best to continue to provide the best care possible to our patients by incorporating your suggestions. If you would like to provide direct feedback to our clinic, please call us at 206-368-1070.

Dr. Yates' Performance
in Seattle, WA |
I recently had hernia surgery performed by Dr. Yates at Northwest Hospital and I cannot say enough about how wonderful he and the entire staff treated me both before and after the surgery.
in Arlington, WA |
Dr. Yates saved my life and I will be forever grateful to him. I truly lucked out that he was on call when I was admitted to the hospital. He worked tirelessly with the team of doctors on my case and he was the one that I immediately felt was in charge and on my side. He operated on me twice in four months successfully. A brilliant surgeon, with gentle bedside manner, he patiently discussed and explained. I know he has specialties, but if I have to have any surgery again I will beg him to do it.
in Juneau, AK |
So thankful to have found Dr. Yates! This was my 3rd hernia repair and I truly believe it will be my last because of not only his excellent care, but also the "education" he shared both before and after! I would recommend him and his staff to anyone, he is compassionate and makes you feel at ease immediately. My LARGE incision (due to size of hernia) has been complimented by EVERYONE as an excellent repair. All staff at NW hospital said I had selected the best doctor and they were right!
in Seattle, WA |
Very patient and thorough. Could not have had a better experience.
in Seattle, WA |
I had an excellent experience with Dr. Yates and would wholeheartedly recommend him in the future. As a healthy 29 year old male primarily worried about active performance, choosing to repair a hernia without major symptoms is a tough choice. Dr. Yates was great guiding me through my options and the procedure went off without a hitch (besides finding and fixing a second hernia). Four days later I was completely off pain medication and have been healing up nicely ever since.
in Port Angeles, WA |
I am a patient that has had 5 hernia surgeries. Dr Yates performed the last one on the left side where mesh was installed many years ago and had failed. Our local surgeon recommended Dr Yates as a doctor with the skills necessary to perform this difficult surgery. I had the surgery on October 26, 2016 and am doing well after easing back to normal activities 4 weeks later. After 8 weeks I began core strengthening exercises again. He is a skilled caring professional as is his nurse Connie.
in Sammamish |
My visit and impending surgery with Dr. Yates was nothing short of incredible, (if that's possible?!) He was very receptive to my pain and scheduled me on very short notice. He clearly communicated what the surgery details would entail and was exceptional in his follow up with my significant other. I would highly recommend Dr. Yates because of his detailed work ethic and personal care & follow up.
in Edmonds, WA |
Dr. Yates answered all my questions clearly and fully. He informed me about ever step to look forward to regarding my hernia surgery. He did a perfect job of "fixing me up." I had put off surgery for four years, which meant I needed the best surgeon available. I am so glad someone recommended Dr. Yates. After extensive research, and, after meeting him, I chose Dr. Yates as my surgeon. I am so glad I did. I feel the best I have felt in four years. Dr. Yates is the best!
I would highly recommend Dr Yates. He explained my condition well, in terms I understood, and took the time to answer all of my questions. The surgery went well. He was competent and efficient. He was able to understand and advise a very active adult on the return to various forms of physical exercise post-op. I will return to him if I need more surgery His medical assistant was pleasant and efficient. The only problem I encountered was his office did not return any, two, phone calls post-op
in Mountlake Terrace, WA |
Dr Yates and hi staff Nurse Connie not only provided outstanding professional care, They were extremely efficient ane "went that extra mile" to provide the emotional support that assisted me through a period of stress.
Seattle, WA |
Fun to interact with; thorough.
in Seattle, WA |
I highly recommend Dr. Yates for inguinal hernia surgery. He is an excellent communicator who is patient focused. He thoroughly discussed all aspects of my surgery in our initial meeting, engaged me in discussing the merits of doing the surgery now versus later, and took the time to address all my questions. Post-surgery recovery was rapid and relatively pain free. His team was friendly and competent, and I felt completely confident in and comfortable with the entire surgical process.
in Seattle, WA |
From my first pre-op meeting with Dr. Yates on May 31st through my post-op meeting of July 14th, I felt I was in the best and most capable hands for my inguinal hernia repair. There wasn't anytime where I felt rushed in my meetings with him and all my questions were answered. I liked the fact that Dr Yates included a new resident in our first meetings. My insurance company and I appreciated having two doctors for the price of one. Thanks to Dr. Yates and NW Hospital Hernia Center.
in Seattle, WA |
I had a good experience start to finish. In my case Robert was clear that my operation was a quality of life procedure not a life saving one.
in Newcastle, WA |
Highly knowledgeable and skilled, is very judicious in recommending surgery and closely evaluates non-surgical options, and when surgery is determined necessary has the highest skill. Coupled with clear, complete and timely communications. Highly recommend.
in Alberton, MT |
Being a patient of Dr Yates evolved over a period of about four months after being referred to Dr Pellagrini at the UW Medical Center, Seattle, WA who then referred me to Dr Yates at Northwest Hospital and Medical Center. Dr Yates and his entire staff were exemplary in every way possible including post-op care. I would highly recommend him and the entire UW Medical Center for any health care needs you may need.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Yates, MD?
Are you Dr. Yates?