Dr. Robert Wright, MD

Pulmonary Disease •  Male • Age 69

Dr. Wright

Santa Barbara Pulmonary Consultants

2403 Castillo St Ste 206 Santa Barbara, CA 93105

Dr. Robert Wright, MD is a pulmonologist in Santa Barbara, CA and has been practicing for 31 years. He graduated from Keck School Of Medicine Of The Univ Of Southern California in 1977 and specializes in pulmonary disease, critical care medicine, and more.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Pulmonary Doctors / Pulmonologists in your area

• Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Dr. Wright accepts

Dr. Wright accepts the following insurance:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
Kaiser Permanente
Principal Financial Group
PacifiCare
WellPoint

No malpractice claims found for California

Obstructive Lung Disease

Obstructive lung disease specialists diagnose and treat conditions including COPD, emphysema, asthma and cystic fibrosis that cause blockages or narrowing in the airways of the lungs, making breathing difficult.

Typically treats 79% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 4 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Dr. Wright treats COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) more than 98% of their peers

Dr. Wright treats this condition more than 98% of their peers

Asthma

Dr. Wright treats Asthma more than 93% of their peers

Dr. Wright treats this condition more than 93% of their peers

Emphysema

Dr. Wright treats Emphysema more than 90% of their peers

Pulmonary Vascular Conditions

Pulmonary vascular specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the flow of blood between the heart and lungs, including pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary embolism.

Typically treats 67% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 1 condition or procedure

Pulmonary Embolism

Dr. Wright treats Pulmonary Embolism more than 67% of their peers

Dr. Wright treats this condition more than 67% of their peers

Interstitial Lung Disease

Interstitial lung disease specialists diagnose and treat a range of conditions that cause scarring of lung tissue due to autoimmune disease or environment exposure to harmful materials.

Typically treats 56% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 5 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Dr. Wright treats this condition more than 98% of their peers

Bronchiectasis

Dr. Wright treats Bronchiectasis more than 90% of their peers

Emphysema

Dr. Wright treats Emphysema more than 90% of their peers

Respiratory-tract Conditions

Immunologists diagnose and treat conditions such as pneumonia, bronchitis, and COPD that affect the respiratory system, including the nasal passages, bronchi and lungs.

Typically treats 57% more than their peers

Dr. Wright treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Pulmonary Disease

Dr. Wright treats Pulmonary Disease more than 99% of his peers

Dr. Wright treats this condition more than 99% of his peers

Arterial Blood Gas Test (ABG)

Dr. Wright performs Arterial Blood Gas Test (ABG) more than 99% of his peers

• Acute Lower Respiratory Infection
  • Acute Pharyngitis
  • Acute Upper Respiratory Infection
  • Alkalosis
  • Arterial Blood Gas Test (ABG)
  • Asbestosis
  • Asthma
  • Breath Testing
  • Bronchiectasis
  • Bronchiolitis
  • Bronchitis
  • Bronchoscopy
  • Central Line Insertion
  • Chronic Pulmonary Heart Diseases (incl. Pulmonary Hypertension)
  • Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax)
  • Common Cold
  • Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)
  • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • Cough
  • Partial Lung Collapse
  • Pleural Effusion
  • Pneumoconiosis and Pneumonopathy
  • Pneumonia
  • Pneumonitis (Due to Solids or Liquids)
  • Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
  • Tuberculosis
  • Valley Fever
  • Wheezing

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Robert Wright, MD...

Offer an online patient portal portal?

Communicate via email?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Offer weekend visits?

Offer evening visits?

Dr. Wright's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Wright

Dr. Wright?
Dr. Wright's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Robert Wright, MD
I have had asthma forever. I should admit I am 33, an RN, & naturally, a terrible patient. In September 2019, I went into severe respiratory distress and was almost intubated in Ventura. I was discharged from the hospital, on room air, but I still was really struggling. Enter Dr. Wright. It was a long 6 months. There were times I called and appeared in his office in tears, told him I was giving up. He would tell me to keep going. I have been steroid free for 3 months. My asthma is extremely controlled with only 3 meds. Without his caring spirit, my boys would not have a mom. I would not get to be a nurse. His office staff is wonderful. Veronica M, his NP, is outstanding. She would call me right after scans to give me results, and would call me in the week to check in. His office staff, his medical assistants (Mayra and Angel and others) made me laugh every day. They were beyond kind. There is no Dr. or office I could recommend more. Thank you for saving my life.
Chelsea B. – May 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
Dr. Wright is exceptional. I would recommend him first in a community of excellent specialists for examination and treatment of pulmonary diseases. Dr. Wright was referred to me by my primary care physician in December 2019 after a CT scan revealed a tumor causing obstructive pneumonia, located in an area making treatment difficult. He saw me the next day, and immediately started investigation and further testing and scans that he used to diagnose the rare condition afflicting me, and referred me to specialists at UCLA who performed successful surgery. Throughout the process, Dr. Wright was direct, informative and careful to make sure I understood my condition and his recommendations. He was available whenever I needed him. His continuing care and concern for me has resulted in healthy lungs after the course of treatment Dr. Wright recommended. He is excellent. April 11, 2020
B. Ginder Santa Barbara, CA – Apr 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
I've been a patient of Santa Barbara Pulmonary for 20 years and under Dr. Wright's care for a number of years. Dr. Wright provides clear explanations of test results and monitors previous records for changes. There is also a human side to medicine which is very meaningful to me as it is supportive of his medical care. I highly recommenc Dr. Wright.
Louis Wooldridge – Mar 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
I became Dr. Wright’s patient more than 10 years ago when he resolved a recurring breathing condition I had had for several years. By now he has also helped my husband and our Down’s Syndrome son with their medical issues. All 3 of us have been so fortunate to have his expertise in some of his specialities(my husband’s kidney surgery and recovery and, of course, the serious respiratory conditions associated with our son’s Down’s Syndrome). The office staff have always been terrific, efficient and courteous. He has always been prompt to respond to any of our inquiries and to explain current and future options clearly for a number of diverse medical issues over the years. Dr. Wright admirably combines the characteristics of a modern-day expert and of an old-time family doctor, like the one I grew up with. We consider ourselves fortunate, indeed, to have him as our doctor.
Dec 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
I had been struggling for over a year to get proper diagnosis and treatment for a breathing condition. Tired of waiting for tests and follow up appointments, I called down to SB to see what kind of pulmonary services were available. I ended up calling the "Wright" office. I was scheduled for a consultation 3 days later. When I arrived at the appointment they immediately performed a PFT and then I met Dr. Wright. He was compassionate and pragmatic. After looking through my chart he immediately ordered a ABG test in his office and scheduled me for a CPET later that same day. He was determined to get to the bottom of my issue. I failed the CPET so he scheduled a Right Heart Cath the next week to rule out pulmonary hypertension. Only a month later after several other tests he was able to diagnose & begin treating me for an allergic reaction to something I inhaled that caused severe inflammation in my lungs. We praise God for a very competent and experienced Dr who helped me breathe again!
A breath of fresh air and thorough care – Aug 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
Dr. Wright was recommended by a friend years ago. Having asthma since I was 5 months old, and receiving a variety of care from numerous doctors, I found what I believed was the most effective treatment. My 1st visit: He listened cautiously. We disagreed some and he agreed to treat me on the condition I would be willing to try HIS way eventually. He not only gained my trust, but HIS way was so much more effective! He has always been there for me, respectful, caring, and is truly the BEST doctor!
J. Schuler in CA – Jan 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
Dr Wright treated me for pneumonia and flu. In a diagnostic chest scan he saw a small corner of my spleen, which he assessed as slightly larger than normal. Instead of ignoring this incidental finding, he shared this finding with other doctors and that led to a diagnosis of lymphoma. (Which was successfully treated.) I’m not sure what would have happened to me had he not been so alert, knowledgeable and concerned. Thank you Dr. Wright.
Rudy in Goleta, CA – Nov 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
Dr. Wright was my pulmonologist when I was hospitalized for pneumonia. His care while I was in the hospital was exceptional. He followed up with me efficiently so that the time that I had to worry between lab reports and tests was minimized. I continued to see him after I was released from the hospital and his care remained the same. He took every concern I had very seriously and continued to run tests until we had answers and my infection was 100% clear. I highly recommend Dr. Wright.
Corinne Mathern in Santa Barbara, CA – Aug 23, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
Dr. wright saved my life. He is compassionate and always available. He is the best doctor that I have ever had, and his patients are the luckiest patients.
Liane Cohen in Santa Barbara, CA – Jul 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
I really needed help and decided to self refer myself to a specialist. I ramdomly found this office and was given an appointment with Dr Wright. I feel VERY fortunate to have gotten him because he really took the time to get a good understanding of my problem. I have always been rushed through doctor visits, but not this time. I have a f/u next week, but am pleasantly pleased with treatment so far. I feel like I am living normally again, which makes me tear up. I can't thank him enough.
Karen Reynolds in Santa Barbara, CA – Sep 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
I am so happy to have found Dr. Wright. I had a chronic cough for over a year & after three courses of Prednazone Steroid it still kept coming back. Dr Wright heard my voice from his office & diagnosed a sinus disease as the main cause of the cough. He ordered a CT sinus scan immediately which confirmed his suspicion. He was very thourough in his examination and immediately set me up with treatment. He called to check on me to make sure I was fully aware of the treatment he recommended.
Geraldine Judge in Templeton, Ca 93465. – Jul 13, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
We went to Dr. Wright after my husband's previous physician gave up his pulmonary practice. Talk about a silver lining. Dr. Wright did more for my husband in one week than his previous physician did in a year. Following our initial consultation, Dr. Wright invited us to his office where he proceeded to display and explain the various tests and their results. We couldn't have been more pleased with the one-on-one time and attention. We would highly recommend Dr. Robert Wright.
Darlene in santa maria, ca – Jun 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
Dr. Wright is my most favorite dotcor EVER! He first saw me on an emergency basis, when I came back from Machu Picchu with bronchitis that turned into pneumonia and asthma. From the beginning, I felt totally comfortable with his caring, gentle nature, his concern for me as a patient and a human being. He's been there for me for many years, and I would recommend him highly to anyone who needs a fantastic professional. I trust him implicitly; he's an amazing Pulmonologist.
Marie Sedona V. in Santa Barbara, CA – Apr 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
Dr. Robert Wright and his staff are all I could have hoped for in a medical practitioner. He has been my primary care physician for several years now and has always provided the absolute best care. He is beyond thorough in his efforts for every medical issue I have had. Dr. Wright is an excellent physician , and a man of the highest integrity.
Richard Ortale in Santa Barbara, CA – Feb 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?
I had a heart attack in January 2016 & was unconscious for 4 days. My wife informs me that Dr. Wright was at the top of the list of doctors who checked on me several times a day, spent considerable time with her, and who took a real interest in my health, lung condition, & the impact of the lungs on my heart function. After regaining consciousness, Dr. Wright showed a substantial, continued interest in my lung function & preventing possible future infections. Thank you Dr. Wright.
Tom Johnson in Santa Barbara, CA – Apr 19, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Wright, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Wright?

As a lung and critical care specialist, I believe that a patient should have access to timely and personal care. I try to the best of my ability to evaluate patients in a caring and efficient manner. When one cannot breathe, then nothing else matters. It is my hope that patients feel cared for and valued at all times.

• Nephrology