Dr. Robert Wendel, MD

Dr. Robert Wendel, MD

Ophthalmology  |

Dr. Robert Wendel, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Sacramento, CA. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Dr. Wendel is affiliated with Mercy General Hospital and Mercy San Juan Medical Center.

Retinal Consultants Medical Group Inc

3939 J St Ste 106

Sacramento, CA 95819

• Anthem Blue Cross
  • Blue Shield of California
  • Health Net
  • Western Health Advantage

Learn about Dr. Wendel

We provide exceptional care and compassionate service to optimize the vision of patients with retinal disease.  He participates in trials to treat macular degeneration (Miravant and Visudyne), and the use of Vitrase to clear vitreous hemorrhage. Dr. Wendel strives to provide expert retinal care.

Experience for Dr. Wendel

Gain confidence in your healthcare decisions by comparing quality indicators on our provider profiles: education, board certification, years of practice, patient experience, and now Top Care Areas, which gives frequency in conditions treated or procedures performed. More about finding the right doctor for you

Top Care Areas for Dr. Wendel by Patient Volume

Diabetic Retinopathy

Dr. Wendel treated this condition for more patients than 99% of his peers nationwide.

Retina Diseases

Retinal Vein Occlusion

Dr. Wendel treated this condition for more patients than 98% of his peers nationwide.

Need Other Care?

Discover how Dr. Wendel compares to peers nationwide for your care needs.

?

Where our data comes from - The data you see on providers' Healthgrades profiles comes from both the provider and public sources. The Top Care Areas section uses public data from billing claims that providers submit to insurance companies. That data is filed nationwide on behalf of the provider to either the government or a private health insurance company.

How we evaluate our data - Patient volume is analyzed by provider and compared nationally with all providers who perform the same procedure, or treat the same condition. We organize the volume data in percentile ranking from 'may perform' for the lowest claims volume to 'Very High' for the highest claims volume data. For a given condition or procedure, performance categories are defined based on 80%, 90%, and 95% confidence intervals from the average patient volume for all providers in our database. Providers identified as ‘may perform’ do not have sufficient volume for Healthgrades to create a statistical evaluation.

Are you Dr. Wendel?

Learn more about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Ophthalmology

• Central Serous Chorioretinopathy
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Choroidal Melanoma
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Contusion of the Eyeball
  • Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Tear
  • Retinal Telangiectasia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Retinoschisis

• Implantable Contact Lens
  • Laser Surgery
  • Paracentesis of Anterior Eye
  • Photocoagulation
  • Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • TrueBeam™ Radiosurgery
  • Vitrectomy
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

No malpractice history found for California.

• University of Michigan / Ann Arbor
    Medical School | Graduated 1979
  • St Josephs Mercy Hospital, University Of Michigan
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1980
  • UC Davis Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1983
  • Washington University Barnes Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1984

Dr. Wendel has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Wendel does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wendel and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Wendel's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wendel to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Wendel's Performance
in Auburn, CA |
I would highly recommend Dr. Wendel at Retinal Consultants in N. California. I was diagnosed with Eales Disease and was losing my sight. He initially gave me two laser treatments in each eye for Retinopathy (bleeding in the retina). Then one eye developed Macular Puckering (a membrane covering the macula) and performed eye surgery to remove the covering. My vision improved the next day and recovery was fairly easy. Because he is in high demand, sometimes I had to wait 2 hours to see him.
in Sacramento, CA |
Dr. Wendel is both extremely professional and caring. He is direct in a supportive way when answering questions about the medical interventions he provides. His treatments are based on current, accurate data prepared by knowledgeable staff during every visit. My mother is 94 and suffers from macular degeneration. He consistently and empathetically acts toward her as if she were his parent. He is one of the best physicians I have seen in many years of medical care - highest recommendation!
in Vacaville, CA |
15 years ago I have a detached retina and Dr. Wendel opened up the hospital for me on a Sunday to do my surgery. I was very grateful because if I had had to wait until Monday I may have lost my eyesight. I love his demeanor and sense of humor. I recently had a hole in the retina of my other eye and while I live in Vacaville and there are retinal consultants here, I choose to always drive to Sacramento to see Dr. Wendel when I have a problem, and even for regular maintenance checks. He is great!
in PINE GROVE |
I was referred to Dr. Wendel by an old friend. I have heard my friend praise him for saving her vision,so being that I am a 66 year old diabetic with eye problems myself,I was very thankful to get in with him as a patient.I needed a medical procedure where he would give me shots in my eye for one of my issues. I have had 3 shots and my vision is greatly improved.I will be getting laser in both eyes at a later date.I have complete confidence in his thorough testing and expertise . Thank You
in Sacramento, CA |
I had eye surgery done by Dr Wendel he stop the bleeding in my eye I think he is the best doctor he took care my dad eye 30plus yrs ago now he is taking care of me. my dad had seen many eye doctors when he was alive Dr Wendel is the best
in Magalia, CA |
Dr wendel has saved my eyesight. I have a condition that is treatable and Dr Wendel is the best at what he does. His staff is professional and helpful.
in Jackson, CA |
He is great at what he does and the staff is excellent.
in JACKSON, CA |
IF YOU WANT THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY, THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED TO GO!
in Placerville, CA |
Dr. Robert Wendel, MD has provided very effective and painless care for my retinal occlusion. I'm greatly improved and appreciate his friendly care and that of his courteous friendly staff.
Auburn, CA |
In a word, CARES! Dr. Wendel cares from the 1st time you meet him, until you no longer need to see an ophthalmologist. He surgically did amazing things for my 91 year old dads detached retina. There aren't enough words to explain. I would highly recommend Dr. Wendel !!!!!!
in Sacramento |
I have been seeing Dr. Wendel every month for 2 yrs due to Diabetic Eye Disease. Every month I get a shot in my eye, sometimes both. My shot's just recently came to an end at the first of this yr. Guess what, I really miss going in once a month for those shot's! Truth be told, I really miss seeing Dr. Wendel and Kimi. Without the kindness, professionalism & sincere care from these 2 people I would not have the vision I do today! They cared & for that they get my vote as the #1 place to go!
in Sacramento, CA |
Dr Wendel is the best. His manner is confident and his knowledge and expertise is evident. This translate to the total assurance that you are receiving the top of the line care. Having problems with your eyes is terrifying, but with Dr Wendel you are educated as to what you are facing, and what treatment options are available. I feel that I have received superior advice and excellent care.
in El Dorado Hills, CA |
Dr. Wendel is great! He demonstrates courtesy and interest, and manages the encounter very well. I feel well taken care of and my condition continues to improve under his care.
in Redding, CA |
Dr. Wendel and his staff are awesome.
I have been a patient of Dr. Wendel's for 12years, and have found him to be very kind, understanding and helpful. He has a great sense of humor which makes my visits pleasant.
in Auburn, CA |
Always friendly and helpful. Doctor and teem very efficient and caring. Happy that I found them.
Rocklin, CA |
Have been seeing Dr. Wendel of Retinal Consultants every year since he reattached my retina 15 years ago. Thanks to him, my vision was saved! Would highly recommend Dr. Wendel to anyone!!! His office at Medical Plaza in Roseville is also very convenient for people living in that vicinity.
Dr. Wendel pioneered some of the treatment protocols that all Retinal Specialists use. In my case, he diagnosed the problem and started treatment right away. He is straightforward and thorough.
in California |
Both my husband and I are patients of Dr. Wendel. He is very conservative in his approach and takes all the time necessary to treat your condition and answer all your questions. We would highly recommend him. He is well known by his peers and was recommended by a doctor from Stanford.
in Sacramento, CA |
Dr. Wendel has given my mom a chance was 100% successful magular degeneration injection that cleared the bleeding behind her eye. To this day mom has improved vision and no reacuring bleeding. He is so caring and never gave up on mom. I would recommend him to any and everyone who has problems with their eyes. He takes his time with every patient and explains the procedure 100%. Thank you Dr Wendel for helping my mom! Your the best and one who still to this day keeps a eye on moms eyes ??
in Chico, CA |
Dr Wendel is friendly and easy to talk with. He is very knowledgable and caring of his patients. After treatment he always walks his patients out to the front desk.
in Citrus Heights, CA |
Dr. Wendel treats my mother for Diabetic Retinopathy. He is very compassionate, very educated, and trustworthy. I would recommend him to any of my family or friends. His patient care is excellent. Even when the office gets busy, considering they are emergency based, he is always well worth the wait.
Sacramento, CA |
Completely unprofessional, rude and arrogant. I would never recommend this doctor to anybody.
in Carmichael, CA |
I would recommend Dr. Wendel for eye care of retinal degeneration. He is very gentle and tell you what he is going to do. he is just a great eye Dr. I hate to leave because I an being called back to Kaiser for my treatment. i want to thank Dr. Wendel for taking such good care of me. T.hank you again. Clair E Bailey
in Stockton, CA |
I began seeing Dr. Wendel for treatment of my Macular Degeneration about ten years ago when he was in the Stockton office. When his schedule changed and he was no longer coming to Stockton, I started going to the Elk Grove office. In addition to being an excellent physician, we have built a comfortable Dr-patient relationship and I have total confidence in him, and I know that I am receiving the best possible treatment and advice for the preservation my vision.
in Rocklin, CA |
This doctor has very poor bedside manners. Telling a patient "You are not special" and not allowing the patient to talk is very unprofessional. When I asked what is wrong with me he told the medical assistant to give me a handout on my way out. Arrogant and no respect to his patients at all.
in Citrus Heights, California |
Kind and considerate care of my 92 year old Father. He even walked Dad to his car after an injection. That is over and above. But that is just the beginning. His monthly treatment of Dad's only eye has done wonders. It is remarkable that his vision has improved to allow him to enjoy his rabbits and turkey's. He can differentiate colors. Thank you for your expertise and kindness. You have enabled my dad to enjoy his life in this last year and remain in his current living situation.
in Carmichael, CA |
I have been treated for WAMD by Dr. Wendel every month for over 8 years. I have total confidence in his continuing education, knowledge and experience. He is gentle, he is willing to work with me, I trust that he cares enough to do all he can to preserve my eyesight, and he has a wonderful dry sense of humor.
Sacramento, CA |
My husband's retinal tear was very sudden and Dr. Wendel took care of him quickly and saved his sight. There was a set back but that also was handled quickly.
in Sacramento, CA |
I had a 9:20 AM appointment. It took 40 minutes before I was even called to into the department. At the 2 hour point when I still had not seen the doctor I left. No one bothered to inform me if there was some unusual problem It appeared to be business as usual. Given that they were open 2 hours it is hard to understand how they could be 2 hours behind. If a physician doesn't care or can't even manage a his office +- 2 hours you have to wonder about his clinical capabilities!!!
in Galt, CA |
Very detailed in the diagnosis and used terminology that is understandable to the layman. He covered everything so well that I had no questions for him, which is quite an accomplishment, as I am always full of questions about such things.
in Roseville, CA |
His singular, consummate mission is to sustain his patients' eye sight. He is unmatched in that respect.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Wendel, MD?
Are you Dr. Wendel?

Carmichael, CA 95608
Mercy General Hospital
4001 J St
Sacramento, CA 95819

More Ophthalmology Specialists like Dr. Wendel at Retinal Consultants Medical Group Inc

Ophthalmology Specialist