Dr. Robert Tomas, DO

Dr. Robert Tomas, DO

General Surgery  |
Dr. Robert Tomas, DO is a general surgery doctor who practices in Fort Myers, FL. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Dr. Tomas is affiliated with Gulf Coast Medical Center.

12650 World Plaza Ln # 71

Fort Myers, FL 33907

Learn about Dr. Tomas

See how frequently Dr. Tomas performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
Lipomas
Hernia Repair

Dr. Tomas's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Tomas "Care for each patient as if they were a family member. Communication and respect for my patients is of utmost importance."

• General Surgery

• Liver Diseases and Disorders
  • Lung Cancer
  • Pancreatic Cancer
  • Partial Lung Collapse
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Pleural Effusion

• Breast Surgical Procedure
  • Colectomy
  • Colon and Rectal Surgery
  • Cyst Incision and Drainage
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Hernia Repair
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Incisional Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Tracheal Surgery
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Wound Repair

1 Board Action
  • Wrong-site surgery (6/16/2015)
    Action Taken: Agreed Order with Terms and Conditions
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Florida

• Botsford Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1996
  • Botsford Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2000

Dr. Tomas has no awards or honors listed.

• WINK News Health, Jan, 2007

Dr. Tomas does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tomas and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Tomas' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tomas to family and friends
Dr. Tomas' Performance
in San Antonio, TX |
This surgery did not work for me. I had a non mesh surgery performed by Dr. Tomas for an inguinal hernia in March of '16. I was very swollen for close to five months after the surgery. When the swelling went down I still had a lump in the area of the scar just like before the surgery. After seeing a few doctors and having a CT scan it was verified that I still had a hernia in the exact same area as before.
in Coral Springs, FL |
Great doctor, great staff, I had a very good experience! Would definitely recommend for hernia surgery!
Ft Myers, FL |
I should have known better... from my first visit he was trying to rush me into surgery. We discussed my procedure and then when I awoke from anesthesia, he did everything different! A very small defect has been turned into a huge/ permanent bump, with uncomfortable pulling and tension, and a huge- poorly closed scar! Also, initially he said that he would revise, but now has retracted his promise and directed me to seek another surgeon to clean up his mess! I would definitely not recommend!!
I feel inclined to protect my reputation by responding to this comment. This patient failed to mention that he had a previous umbilical and epigastric repair in 2005 by another surgeon in Miami. He developed a recurrence after the Miami surgery in the area above the navel and this repair carries a recurrence rate of 20-40 percent in the literature. I performed my repair on his recurrent hernia using my no mesh suturing technique. He has no recurrence, just scarring which is expected.
I traveled from Ohio for bilateral inguinal hernia repair. I am very glad my wife found this doctor online. I am very satisfied with the surgery results and most impressed with the way I was treated. Any paperwork I've needed for my disability claim was processed right away (thank you RN Rajim), fees were explained before the procedure so there was no surprises and it was covered by my insurance. Staff always answered the phone right away and was very helpful.
in Plano, IL |
Dr. Tomas repaired my right inguinal hernia using the Desarda no mesh, tension free, hernia repair method. He's done over 1,800 of these and has a quiet confidence appropriate to his extensive experience. He's patient, listens attentively, and explains everything. I can't imagine a better experience. Most hernias are repaired with mesh (I did not want that) and most general surgeons do a handful of hernias per year (I wanted a specialist). His technique seems very refined. Staff was excellent.
in Pensacola, FL |
I had the no mesh desarda hernia repair done for my inguinal hernia in January. I'm feeling great and am so glad I did my research and found him. The first couple of weeks are tough. You feel a little better every week after that. I'm a very active person so it was very hard for me to be patient. I walked nearly everyday after my surgery until 8 weeks post op and started light lifting again. I feel great and don't have to worry about any mesh in my body. Thanks Dr. Tomas
in Perkasie pa |
Inguinal hernia repair with no mesh. I had this done in June 2015. I completely forgot I had it repaired. No pain or any surgical sensation at all. Glad I did my research and found dr Tomas. I had slight discomfort for about 8 weeks and that was all there was. Just walk if you can next day after surgery,and walk every day. That's what I did. I tell everyone how good of a doctor Tomas is. GreAt guy. I traveled from pa for the surgery. Stayed in hotel they recommended. Everything is awesome.
SMYRNA |
I'm a 52 year old male had a umbilical hernia for several years also abdominal discomfort sour stomach Dr Tomas did my surgery 20 days ago since then no abdominal pain no sour stomach I haven't felt this good in several years just want to thank the doctor and BJ for everything they've done I would highly recommend Dr. Tomas
in Fargo, nd |
I came from out of town. What an amazing physician! I have a new chance at life without constant pain. He is worth the drive and i am so thankful i found him and his wonderful team!
Denver, CO |
had hernia repair. Was out of town patient, staff coordinated entire process seamlessly. Dr Tomas excellent physician. Glad i decided to make extra effort to have him do procedure. Very happy with results.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Tomas, DO?

See our General Surgery Specialist at Lee Health