Dr. Robert Ramirez, MD

Allergy & Immunology | Male

Dr. Robert Ramirez, MD
Many moons ago, back when I was an altar boy, I wanted to be a priest when I grew up. But my passion for science and medicine is what eventually put me where I am today. Interestingly, these two careers are not that different from each other. In both one is at the service of others. In both one has to be a good listener to be able to empathize. In both one is able to touch other people's lives and make a difference. Having trained at the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (American Council for Graduate Medical Education accredited school), followed by training at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio and then University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, I have had the experience of caring for very diverse cultures and patient demographics. This in turn I feel has made me better prepared to handle different presentations of both common and unusual diseases, as well as helped me better understand the role that personal beliefs and cultural backgrounds plays in a person's own perspective of their condition. This in turn helps me try to achieve better patient-centered care. Besides taking care of patients, I actively participate in clinical research studies. I have been able to publish articles and presented clinical data on unusual allergic diseases on different journals and national meetings.

Dr. Ramirez's Care Philosophy

As an allergy patient myself, I strive to do my best everyday in caring for my patients allergic conditions, with dedication and compassion. I strongly believe in patient-centered care, where I tailor my diagnostic testing, education and treatment plan according to each individual medical and personal needs.

Dr. Ramirez's Experience

See how Dr. Ramirez's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Ramirez

Dr. Ramirez accepts 15 insurance carriers

Dr. Ramirez is now accepting new patients
Medical Center8285 Fredericksburg Rd
San Antonio, TX 78229
(210) 614-3923Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Ramirez has admitting privileges.

Dr. Ramirez's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ramirez to family and friends
based on 16 total reviews (1 with a comment)
Dr. Ramirez Says:

Thank you to all for the feedback!

We strive to continuously improve at every step of the way:  from the phone call to schedule your first appointment, to the diagnostic workup and finalizing your care plan.

If you have any concerns or suggestions to help us do even better, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr. Ramirez's Performance
in San Antonio, Texas |
Not what I expected. In fact, I see a lot of doctors and realize more and more how "in the box" they are. The only success I had was eliminating allergies as a factor in my eye puffiness. Some suggestions when asking about conditions: "when did you first notice the swelling?", "how long have you had it?", "any family members with the same issue?", "any medicine changes?" etc. Instead of assuming age is a factor and staying in that mindset. Age if it was years but not within a matter of WEEKS!
I apologize for the bad experience, but thank you for your feedback. I tried to voice my own frustration at not being able to give you a straight answer for the eye puffiness (other than showing that it was not allergies). It seems though that this frustration came across as me not caring, and it disappointed you. Again, apologies for not noting that during the visit. I pray that you have been able to get an answer. Feel free to contact us at any time.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Ramirez, MD?

Compare Dr. Ramirez

Dr. Ramirez says...

Many moons ago, back when I was an altar boy, I wanted to be a priest when I grew up.  But my passion for science and medicine is what eventually put me where I am today.  Interestingly, these two careers are not that different from each other.  In both one is at the service of others.  In both one has to be a good listener to be able to empathize.  In both one is able to touch other people's lives and make a difference.

Having trained at the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (American Council for Graduate Medical Education accredited school), followed by training at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio and then University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, I have had the experience of caring for very diverse cultures and patient demographics.  This in turn I feel has made me better prepared to handle different presentations of both common and unusual diseases, as well as helped me better understand the role that personal beliefs and cultural backgrounds plays in a person's own perspective of their condition.  This in turn helps me try to achieve better patient-centered care.

Besides taking care of patients, I actively participate in clinical research studies.  I have been able to publish articles and presented clinical data on unusual allergic diseases on different journals and national meetings.

Dr. Ramirez's Care Philosophy

As an allergy patient myself, I strive to do my best everyday in caring for my patients allergic conditions, with dedication and compassion.  I strongly believe in patient-centered care, where I tailor my diagnostic testing, education and treatment plan according to each individual medical and personal needs.

Dr. Ramirez says...

As a Board Certified Allergist, I am trained to find the sources of your allergy symptoms, discuss ways to avoid them, find effective treatment options, while keeping your overall health and well-being in mind.

I focus on adult and pediatric:

• nasal and chest symptoms
  • food and drug allergies
  • insect allergies
  • skin allergies
  • immunodeficiencies

A Board Certified Allergist completes two or three more years of study in the field of asthma, allergy and immunology, after having completed a Residency in Pediatrics or Internal medicine.

Dr. Ramirez says...

To diagnose allergic diseases like allergic rhinitis, food allergies, and insect allergy, we perform different tests:

• Skin prick testing
  • Serological testing (also known as lab or blood testing, RAST testing, or IgE testing)

As a Board Certified Allergist trained over 2 years, along with my staff, we have been performing these for many years, multiple times a week.  These tests require careful interpretation.  For example, a positive result to food on testing is NOT always indicative of a food allergy.  When in doubt, we perform Oral Food Challenges to get to "get to the bottom" of the issue.

It is very satisfying when I am able to improve a person's quality of life by confirming that a person is no longer allergic to a food.

Allergy Shots, which aims to treat the problem, not just the symptoms, has been a very effective tool to help my patients have a better quality of life.  It's effectiveness has been established historically with over 100 years of use in this field.  Since 2015 we have also started doing allergy drops (sublingual immunotherapy), which has also been very effective and convenient.

We also perform Oral challenges for drug allergies, as well as patch testing for contact dermatitis.

Since 2015, I have been implementing also Oral Immunotherapy (OIT) to desensitize patients who are allergic to peanuts.  I have been very successful with the few patients we have tried it on, and look forward to implementing this for other foods.

Dr. Ramirez says...

Thank you to all for the feedback!

Dr. Ramirez's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Allergy & Immunology
  •  Board certified in Allergy & Immunology

Dr. Ramirez has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Ramirez's Board Certifications

• Angioedema
  • Asthma
  • Asthma in Adults
  • Asthma in Children
  • Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
  • Bronchitis
  • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • Chronic Sinusitis

University Of Texas Medical Branch

Completed in 2009

University Of Puerto Rico / Medical Sciences Campus

Graduated in 1999

Dr. Ramirez does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ramirez and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Allergy & Immunology