Cardiac Surgery  |
Dr. Robert Poston, MD
From 2011 until 2014, Dr. Poston was the Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Arizona. In this role, he developed into the type of leader which could best be summarized as a "pragmatic visionary". The three years for his division under his stewardship demonstrated a track record 8 major innovations that were all new to Tucson and many were new to the country. These innovations and the overall accomplishments of the program at UA are outlined in a presentation available at his website. Dr. Poston's leadership has become more pragmatic based on lessons learned from leading major change at Tucson and other institutions. He has insisted on each of these innovations being subject to the scrutiny of peer review research and publication. He also focused his efforts on developing and maintaining a high performance team in both the OR and ICU that was able to manage both conventional and less invasive surgery at this highest level. These initiatives required a leader that fosters an environment where team members are willing to speak up about the unique challenges posed by these new programs and patients. He challenges the team to continuously improve safety through regular briefings, debriefings, and rehearsals. (more information about this leadership style is available on his website). When feasible, Dr. Poston approaches problems with patient care using a multidisciplinary approach to bring the best possible solutions rapidly forward. In general, he has tried to apply the lessons for team management learned from the aviation industry. This approach, termed crew resource management, has yielded dramatic improvements in airline travel and has only recently been adopted to improve surgical safety. In February 2015, Dr. Poston started his position as chairman of theDepartment of Cardiothoracic Surgery at St. Francis Medical Center. At St. Francis, he has continued his leadership philosophy and developed a robotic heart surgery practice focusing on heart bypass and mitral valve repairs that has quickly become the 5th busiest robotic heart surgery program in the country. The cardiac surgical department that he leads was recently honored by the hospital's "Healing Hands Award".

601 Hamilton Ave Fl 1

• Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • Oxford Health Plans
  • QualCare

Learn about Dr. Poston

My philosophy is to avoid the traditional sternum splitting procedure (i.e. saw open the chest) if the same exact cardiac surgical procedure can be done without compromising the long term surgical result (that is true for about half of all patients referred for surgery). All physicians innately recognize that patients fear surgical incisions that are morbid and take a long time to heal. An incision that requires a saw to create is clearly morbid. Developing a less invasive practice is the logical conclusion of these obvious facts, yet 99% of heart surgeons in the US only use open chest incisions to operate on patients referred to them. I also believe that patients need to know the following: there currently exists no ethical or legal imperative for a surgeon that only operates using open techniques to disclose that there is a less invasive alternative to the patient or their referring provider, even they would be appropriate for the less invasive technique with another surgeon.

Dr. Poston's Experience

Dr. Poston's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Cardiac Surgery

• Cardiomyopathy
  • Carotid Artery Disease
  • Congenital Aortic Valve Disorders
  • Congestive Heart Failure
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Coronary Artery Dissection
  • Endocarditis
  • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
  • Heart Disease
  • Secondary Hypertension

• Ablation for Treatment of Cardiac Arrhythmias
  • Aortic Repair, Open or Repair of Arterial Aneurysm, Open
  • Aortic Valve Surgery
  • Cardiac Catheterization (incl. Coronary Angiography)
  • Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery
  • Coronary Artery Bypass With Robotic Assistance
  • Coronary Cathertization With Robotic Assistance
  • Decortication and Pleurectomy
  • Heart Surgery
  • Hernia Repair
  • Impella Device
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Insertion of Epicardial Lead for Pacemaker or Cardioverter and-or Defibrillator
  • Insertion of Left Ventricular Lead for Pacemaker or Cardioverter and-or Defibrillator
  • Maze Procedure
  • Mitral Valve Surgery
  • Non-Invasive Mechanical Ventilation With Robotic Assistance
  • Open Heart Valvuloplasty of Mitral Valve Without Replacement With Robotic Assistance
  • Port Placements or Replacements
  • Pulmonary Valve Surgery
  • Removal or Revision of Pacemaker or Cardioverter and-or Defibrillator
  • Resection of Cardiac Tumor
  • Thoracentesis
  • Thoracoscopic Drainage of Pleural Cavity With Robotic Assistance
  • Thoracoscopic Wedge Resection
  • Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
  • Tricuspid Valve Surgery
  • Valve Repair or Replacement (Aortic, Mitral, Tricuspid, and Pulmonary)

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• University Of Texas / Austin Campus
  • University Of Pittsburgh / Main Campus
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2002
  • Stanford University School Of Medici
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997

Dr. Poston has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Poston does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Poston and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Poston's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Poston to family and friends
Dr. Poston's Performance
Las Cruces |
This doctor was the only one that explained all the options to me, including the robotic option. Other surgeons that I saw only mentioned the procedure that splits open the chest. It is obvious that any patient would want to know about lesser invasive options. I am grateful that Dr. Poston has started his practice in New Mexico.
Lakewood, NJ |
My surgery was an emergency and complicated by other underlying conditions that became apparent after the surgery. Not only is Dr. Poston a highly skilled surgeon, but he is a kind, compassionate, and caring person. With his surgical skills, he repaired my mitral valve and did a triple bypass. My other conditions required several specialists and I requested Dr. Poston to be the doctor in charge since I have such confidence in him. He coordinated the whole team to oversee my recovery
in Hightstown, NJ |
Dr. Poston is an excellent heart surgeon and wonderful human being. I had robotic by-pass surgery and it went very well. Dr. Poston came everyday to see how I was doing . I also liked that he did not make the surgery an emergency. I am very pro active with my health care, and I was very fortunate that I went to St. Frances Hospital and got Dr. Robert Poston to do my surgery.
in Bisbee, AZ |
I had robotic cardiac bypass surgery (at 64) with Dr. Poston in August 2012, at the University Medical Center (University of Arizona). I know all about what happened to him (all politics), and I want to recommend him for every reason one can possibly consider. Every one. He was an angel to me, and as a two-time cancer survivor (2 surgeries at MD Anderson), I am in awe of this wonderful person and awesome surgeon! He is truly in the league with Ben Carson; Tucson's loss is New Jersey's gain.
in Sierra Vista, AZ |
Dr. Poston did 4 robotic bypasses on my dad who was 83. Two days in the hospital. Playing golf two weeks later. Gave my dad his cell phone number. Always returns his calls. Still checking on him almost 3 years later. What other doctor does this? At 85, my dad shot 69 at PDS country club to make a big news splash.
in Tucson, AZ |
My husband found out that he needed heart surgery and was referred to Dr. Poston. He gave my husband hope and a new lease on life, both physically and emotionally after he informed my husband that he would be a good candidate for robotic heart surgery. He assured him that it would be his choice to select the traditional form of surgery or the robotic. My husband chose the robotic surgery and has never regretted it. He was out of the hospital within a week and onl
in Sierra Vista, AZ |
Dr. Poston did my surgery May 2013. 3 months and 1 day after surgery I was in the ring competing again. I earned 5 State Titles last year. This year, as of today, I am #2 in World Standings. I will be competing for World Championship in July. If it were not for Dr. Poston I would not be competing at all.
in Sierra Vista, AZ |
Dr. Poston performed a robotic bypass on me 4 years ago and I could not be happier with the results. In this day and age, a surgeon who is willing to provide his cell phone number with his patients and ask them to call 24/7 with problems is truly exceptional. This is a one of a kind surgeon.
in Caen, P |
Dr. Poston had reviewed all of my dad's medical records before his consult, gave my dad his cell phone number, explained every step of the operation and follow-up care and treated my dad as a valued and respected member of the team. He did a flawless operation and made sure my dad was taken care of and recovered well by spending the night with him in the ICU. I would recommend Dr. Poston unconditionally to any patient.
Trenton, NJ |
I had a robotic valve repair done by Dr. Poston. Everything went great and I was back to full activities in 3 weeks. My neighbor had surgery at U Penn and took 3 times as long to recover. I really believe that robotic, less invasive is amazing.
in Rhode Island |
Very committed to his patients. He did my robotic bypass five years ago. Since then whenever I have had a question related to my cardiac health he has always returned my call.
in Redwoalley, CA |
I have known Dr. Robert Poston for over 25 years, and can attest to his excellence in medicine. I have consulted with Dr. Poston about my 101 year old mother during the time I have known him and he has always been very helpful and supportive. He is thorough in his assessments, communicates the options carefully and thoroughly, and has always followed up appropriately without exception. Dr. Poston gives his patients his personal cell phone number and he has saved us several unnecessary trips
in Terrance |
Very gifted surgeon who cares a lot about the patient and their family. He spent countless hours with me before and after surgery, explaining a complicated surgery in ways that I could easily understand. I traveled from Arizona to come to Trenton, NJ in the winter in order to have surgery by Dr. Poston. Several of my neighbors in Arizona had surgery by him when he was at the University of Arizona. They all said - if you need heart surgery, go see Dr. Poston. Their advice was correct.
Minimally invasive surgery was something that I was not aware of being available in this area. I thought it was only offered in places like NYCity or Philadelphia. I met Dr. Poston and underwent a less invasive valve surgery. As he suggested, I recovered quickly with 3 days in the hospital and was back to work in 3 weeks. There was almost no blood loss, which I am told a very important advantage of this method. It was nice to avoid a prolonged anemia like my mother had after open heart.
I really liked doctor Poston but I also got a sense that there was a whole team of people behind him that contributed to my excellent outcome. From the first day that I saw him in the clinic for my assessment for surgery, it was apparent that the entire team was working hard together with a very high morale. Clearly, they recognize that they are involved in something special. They have the only robotic heart surgery program in New Jersey.
in Allentown, NJ |
I have been in the nursing profession for over 30 years and have never met a surgeon like Dr. Poston. From beginning to the end, Dr. Poston was kind, compassionate, and visible. He made rounds daily himself, not sending an assistant or another surgeon. On the post op visit, he also was there to conduct the post op exam. He went above and beyond, by giving my friend his personal cell phone number and answering it. Thank you for renewing my faith in surgeons.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Poston, MD?
Are you Dr. Poston?