Dr. Robert Maloney, MD

Cornea & Refractive Surgery | Male

Dr. Robert Maloney, MD
Robert K. Maloney, MD, MA (Oxon), is a former Rhodes Scholar and Summa Cum Laude graduate of Harvard University. He completed his education at Oxford University and Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Maloney was the first surgeon in western North America to perform LASIK surgery as part of the original FDA clinical trials. He is Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at UCLA, and director of the Maloney Vision Institute, in Los Angeles, California. Voted by his peers as one of America's top ten vision-correction specialists in a nationwide survey conducted by Ophthalmology Times, Dr. Maloney has trained more than 700 surgeons in the use of the excimer laser and has personally performed more than 55,000 vision-correction surgeries. He is the recipient of the prestigious 2001 Lans Distinguished Award, presented by the International Society of Refractive Surgery, for his innovative contributions to the field of vision-correction surgery. The American Academy of Ophthalmology awarded him the Senior Honor Award for contributions to the education of other eye surgeons and the Secretariat Award for contributions to the Academy. He is also selected as a "Best Doctor in America", Castle Connolly "America's Top Doctors", and was named one of the "34 Best Ophthalmologists in America" by Becker's ASC Review. He has contributed more than 100 articles, abstracts and reports to professional journals and delivered more than 200 invited lectures on five continents. Dr. Maloney's research is focused on developing new technologies for vision correction surgery, including the implantable contact lens and the light-adjustable lens implant, and on complications of vision-correction surgery. He has been a principal investigator for twenty FDA clinical trials. He is the developer of the "Modified Maloney Method" of calculating IOL power for cataract surgery. Dr. Maloney has appeared frequently on television as the exclusive LASIK surgeon for the ABC hit series Extreme Makeover. He has been interviewed by the Discovery Channel, the Learning Channel, NBC's Extra, ABC's 20/20 and Prime Time Live, PBS's Life and Times, CNN's The World Today, and CBS's The Doctors. His work has also been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers.

Dr. Maloney's Care Philosophy

I got my first pair of glasses at age 12, and still vividly remember how much I hated wearing them. I had LASIK surgery on my own eyes in 1997, and for the first time in my adult life I experienced the wonderful freedom from glasses it brings. I could see individual blades of grass in a lawn, open my eyes underwater and see my alarm clock without glasses. Life's simple pleasures seemed to truly come alive. The decision to have vision correction surgery is exciting, but it is also frightening for many people. I'm often asked if the procedures are safe. If you are a good candidate, I can tell you that I have such confidence in these procedures I've personally treated my wife, my mother, my brother and six other family members. One of my core beliefs is that you too deserve to be treated like a family member. To me that means you are seen promptly without waiting, you are treated with courtesy and all of your questions are answered. Treating you like family means that we thoroughly educate you about the procedures as they apply to you and your eyes. Family means that we triple check the surgical plan to ensure it is perfect for you. As I would with my own family, I will recommend the procedure that is best for you, or none at all if that's what we find is most appropriate. I think you will be excited when you see the clear difference we offer at the Maloney Vision Institute. I look forward to meeting you and introducing you to the incredible freedom that life without glasses and contacts can bring. Yours sincerely, Robert K. Maloney, M.D., M.A. (Oxon)

Dr. Maloney's Experience

See how Dr. Maloney's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Maloney

Dr. Maloney accepts 6 insurance carriers

Dr. Maloney is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Maloney has admitting privileges.

Dr. Maloney's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Maloney to family and friends
    based on 9 total reviews
    Dr. Maloney's Performance
    Dr. Maloney Says:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience online.  If you had a less than stellar experience,  I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally and find out how we can improve.  Thank you again.

Have you seen Dr. Robert Maloney, MD?
    Are you Dr. Maloney?

Dr. Maloney says...

Robert K. Maloney, MD, MA (Oxon), is a former Rhodes Scholar and Summa Cum Laude graduate of Harvard University. He completed his education at Oxford University and Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Maloney was the first surgeon in western North America to perform LASIK surgery as part of the original FDA clinical trials.  He is Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at UCLA, and director of the Maloney Vision Institute, in Los Angeles, California. Voted by his peers as one of America's top ten vision-correction specialists in a nationwide survey conducted by Ophthalmology Times, Dr. Maloney has trained more than 700 surgeons in the use of the excimer laser and has personally performed more than 55,000 vision-correction surgeries.

He is the recipient of the prestigious 2001 Lans Distinguished Award, presented by the International Society of Refractive Surgery, for his innovative contributions to the field of vision-correction surgery. The American Academy of Ophthalmology awarded him the Senior Honor Award for contributions to the education of other eye surgeons and the Secretariat Award for contributions to the Academy. He is also selected as a "Best Doctor in America", Castle Connolly "America's Top Doctors", and was named one of the "34 Best Ophthalmologists in America" by Becker's ASC Review.  He has contributed more than 100 articles, abstracts and reports to professional journals and delivered more than 200 invited lectures on five continents.

Dr. Maloney's Care Philosophy

Yours sincerely,

Robert K. Maloney, M.D., M.A. (Oxon)

Dr. Maloney says...

Dr. Maloney's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Cornea & Refractive Surgery
    •  Board certified in Ophthalmology

Dr. Maloney has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Maloney's Board Certifications

Harvard

Graduated in 1979

Oxford University

Graduated in 1981

Dr. Maloney does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Maloney and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Cornea & Refractive Surgery

• Implantable Contact Lens
    • LASIK
    • Laser Cataract Surgery
    • Phakic Refractive Lens Implantation
    • Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK)
    • Pterygium Surgery
    • Refractive Lens Exchange
    • Sutureless Cataract Surgery
    • Visian Impantable Collamer Lens (ICL)