Dr. Robert Hartzler, MD

Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery | Male

The San Antonio Orthopaedic Group 150 E Sonterra Blvd Ste 300 San Antonio, TX 78258 Get Directions
Dr. Robert Hartzler, MD

Dr. Hartzler's Care Philosophy

During my training at the Mayo Clinic, I learned that the needs of the patient come first. I always try to adhere to this principle and to treat my patients the way that I would want to be treated. I try to be very judicious when recommending or offering surgery to my patients. I try to have a subspecialized practice in the field of shoulder and elbow surgery so that I can develop expertise in treating my patients for problems in this area.

Dr. Hartzler's Experience

See how Dr. Hartzler's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Hartzler

Dr. Hartzler accepts 2 insurance carriers

Dr. Hartzler is now accepting new patients
The San Antonio Orthopaedic Group - North Central150 E Sonterra Blvd Ste 300
San Antonio, TX 78258
(210) 281-9595Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Hartzler has admitting privileges.

Dr. Hartzler's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hartzler to family and friends
Dr. Hartzler's Performance
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Hartzler and his staff at the San Antonio Orthopaedic Group were tremendous. On my visits, the waiting times were minimal which I could not believe. The staff was very friendly and Dr. Hartzler was able to diagnosis my left shoulder problem and did an in office procedure that was able to resolve the pain in my shoulder. I had gone to another orthopedic group and they simply recommended therapy for my shoulder which did not help with the pain. I highly recommend Dr. Hartzler and is staff.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Hartzler left the decision to have shoulder surgery up to me. With one ligament complete torn and two partially torn I decided I needed to have the surgery. With myofascial therapy, a healthy body from taking the dehydrated fruit and vegetable capsules, Fruit Plus+ and a very successful surgery in two and 1/2 months my shoulder is completely healed. I'm 77 years of age and very active and very pleased with the results.
in Cibolo, Texas |
Can't say enough good things about Dr. Hartzler. I've been a patient for almost two years. Dr. Hartzler is a very compassionate and caring surgeon. Continually went above and beyond in order to address all my orthopedic issues and addressed my concerns in a very timely manner. Highly recommend Dr. Robert Hartzler without any reserve.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Hartlzer is very easy to talk to and he certainly kept me involved through every step of the process when he mended my broken femur. This was my first broken bone, and to break such a big one was a scary situation, but he promised I'd be back working out, running, cycling, and living a normal life - and he delivered! I highly recommend Dr. Hartzler if you ever need a good bone doctor!His Stone Oak office is very fast. I hardly have time to boot my phone before they are calling me in.
in San Antonio, TX |
I have been under Dr. Hartzler' scare for over 2 years and have been extremely satisfied with him. He performed my total shoulder replacement 7/2016 and I expected it would be a very painful recovery. I experienced minimal pain the first week after the surgery and did not need the pain medication. I did so well, I didn't even need to go to physical therapy. I owe all of this to my wonderful and talented, Dr. Hartzler. The staff is awesome as well.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Robert Hartzler recently performed reverse shoulder replacement on my right shoulder. During my first visit he took time to explain how he could correct the problem. I had ample time to ask questions and he made certain I understood the procedure. He has continued to provide enough time in other visits also. In my estimation he is an exceptional and skilled surgeon who has been kind, caring and concerned about my progress. His office staff is well organized and professional.
in San Antonio, TX |
He is an excellent doctor. I have and will continue to recommend him for his exemplary care. He kept my husband informed of my progress and patiently answered all our questions.
San Antonio, Tx |
My experience with Dr. Hartzler for the first time without any previous knowledge of him what so ever, was with an elderly family member who fractured a leg. Dr. Hartzler was very deliberate with informing us every step of the way including letting the family know immediately after surgery how our loved one was doing, with a post-op x-ray pic of the repaired leg on his phone to reassure us how well the surgery went. Very professional, extremely talented. Post-op appointments went well!!!
Katy, TX |
Performed my shoulder surgery and was very thorough in both before and after the surgery in making sure that I understood everything and was happy with the process.
Lytle, Texas |
I had a serious problem with my shoulder and needed a reverse shoulder replacement in a big way. After having had a serious failure with prior orthopedic surgery on my feet, including a failed ankle replacement, I was apprehensive and skeptical about the outcome of my shoulder replacement. I have had an excellent outcome with my new shoulder with little pain throughout the recovery process. Dr. Hartzler was so competent, kind, caring, professional. He is amazing and the very best!!!
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Hartzler is the epitome of professionalism and expertise in the medical profession. He has the unique ability to explain a highly complex procedure in terms that a lay person can understand easily. The outcome from my surgery was even better than I had expected in terms of both pain management and overall restoration of function. I recommend Dr. Hartzler in the strongest terms possible and with absolutely no reservation. In my opinion, he is the best of the best.
in San Antonio, TX |
I saw Dr. Hartzler for my shoulder and had rotator cuff surgery. He explained the procedure and recovery process in a manner in which I could understand. My shoulder feels great and I am so glad I went to Dr. Hartzler for my shoulder.
in San Antonio, TX |
excellent surgeon. repaired my elbow and shoulder with no problems at all and a fast recovery time. highly recommend him.
New Braunfels, TX |
He told me he would call the very night I saw him. It was 7 days later and after 2-3 calls to his office before he called back. Then he suggested the next step to be an MRI which I agree to. His office was to call me the following week which was the week after Christmas. It is January 16 and I have yet to hear from them. I called his office twice........ I give up!
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Hartzler was my operating physician when I fell and injured my shoulder. He not only did a great job at identifying the tear and injury, but also an even better job at treating my torn rotator cuff. He explained the operation process and procedure every step of the way to me, and was very helpful in understanding every aspect of both the procedure and recovery process. My shoulder is recovering great and I can now start to gain back my ability to return back to my everyday life.
in san antonio texas |
He was great, he knew what was wrong with my shoulder and took care of it. I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder and after months of dealing with the pain Dr. Hartzler helped me get my life back. I was more then pleased with not only him but his staff because as someone who works for an insurance company the staff many times is just as important as the doctor. Everyone helped to make the process as easy as possible.
in San Antonio, TX |
Fantastic. NEVER had any pain, healed quickly, almost invisible scaring.
in L, Texas |
Wait time way too long. Dr Hartzler is snide and flippant. He wouldn't even try to discuss what my previous surgeries had done to my shoulder nor did he seem competent to generate a course of action for my shoulder. He spent approximately 5 minutes with me after making me wait an hour and 45 minutes. Dr Hartzler came highly recommended and I left highly disappointed.
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Dr. Hartzler. If you would like for one of our administrators to contact you to discuss it further, please email me your contact information at marketing at tsaog.com.
in San antonio, TX |
Saw Dr. Hartzler after a shoulder injury. Explained problem and treatment options clearly. Tried conservative treatment but did end up needing surgery which went well.
in San Antonio, TX |
I saw Dr Hartzler after I thought I'd strained my R shoulder while tugging my seat belt too hard. He told me I tore my rotator cuff and would require surgery. He performed procedure in August 2015 and walked me through entire, 6-week recovery process and what to expect during that time. I'd recommend Dr Hartzler to anyone!
in San Antonio, Tx |
Had shoulder surgery 4 years ago. ROM was shot and I was in constant pain. Went to see other orthopedic surgeons and was told I would need a shoulder replacement. Pain management doctor suggested Dr. Hartzler. Said he was the Michael Jordan of shoulders. He was wrong. He is actually the Michael Jordan and Dr. J of shoulders. Dr. Hartzler placed skin graft between joint in place of my worn away cartilage. He also repaired my SLAP repair by doing tenodesis. Everything has worked out great.
in San Antonio, TX |
I saw Dr. Hartzler for severe shoulder pain and the inability to basically function with my left arm. His initial diagnosis was frozen shoulder. We tried injections and ultimately determined that surgery was the best option. I found him to be an excellent doctor - both in terms of listening and not pushing for surgery immediately. His surgical skills and team are exceptional. Within a week I was able to start physical therapy and am very pleased with the results.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Hartzler, MD?

Compare Dr. Hartzler

Dr. Hartzler's Care Philosophy

During my training at the Mayo Clinic, I learned that the needs of the patient come first.  I always try to adhere to this principle and to treat my patients the way that I would want to be treated.  I try to be very judicious when recommending or offering surgery to my patients.  I try to have a subspecialized practice in the field of shoulder and elbow surgery so that I can develop expertise in treating my patients for problems in this area.

Dr. Hartzler says...

My practice is focused on surgical and non-surgical treatment of all shoulder and elbow problems including arthritis, tendon problems (rotator cuff tears, tennis elbow), fractures, and sports injuries.

I also serve on the orthopaedic call teams for North Central Baptist and Mission Trail Baptist Hospital emergency departments, which means I care for a variety of general orthopaedic conditions such as fractures, dislocations, and musculoskeletal infections.

Dr. Hartzler says...

After my orthopaedic residency at the Mayo Clinic, I got advanced training in shoulder and elbow surgery, including arthroscopy, fracture surgery, and joint replacements.

I specialize in complex shoulder and elbow arthroscopy including massive and revision rotator cuff repairs, arthroscopic joint preservation of the shoulder (glenoid resurfacing and superior capsular reconstruction), and arthroscopic-assisted fracture surgery.  I perform complex and revision shoulder instability surgery including the Latarjet procedure and arthroscopic remplissage.

I perform all kinds of shoulder (anatomic and reverse) and elbow joint replacements, including revision joint replacement and joint replacement for fractures.

Dr. Hartzler's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery

• Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Pain
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Partially Dislocated Elbow (Nursemaid Elbow)
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Shoulder Injuries
  • Shoulder Instability
  • Shoulder Labral Tear
  • Shoulder Pain
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)

U Of Tx Southwestern Med Sch At Dallas

Graduated in 2001

• Other Education
    Mayo Graduate School - Masters of Science in Biomedical Sciences

Completed in 2013

Dr. Hartzler does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hartzler and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery