Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD

Dr. Grunsten
Telehealth services available

Robert Grunsten, M.D.

3000 N Halsted St Chicago, IL 60657

Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD is a Psychiatry Specialist in Chicago, IL and has over 48 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Grunsten has more experience with General Mental Health than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University Of Illinois College Of Medicine Chicago medical school in 1972. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Grunsten to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Illinois

Frequently Treated by Dr. Grunsten

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Grunsten treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Grunsten treats other conditions, please contact the office at (773) 296-7137.

General Mental Health

General mental health includes management, treatment and prevention of mental illness through risk factor screenings, counseling, group therapy, and wellness support.Compare with other General Mental Health specialists.

Dr. Grunsten typically treats 89% more often than similar doctors

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Bulimia
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Evaluation

Dr. Grunsten accepts

Dr. Grunsten accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Priority Health
Priority PPO
We do not accept health insurance

Dr. Grunsten's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Grunsten

Dr. Grunsten?
Dr. Grunsten has been a life saver for me, I was suicidal from a wrong diagnosis from a past psychiatrist and dr. Grunsten immediately gave me the correct diagnosis and medication. I have recommended him to family and friends. He is very kind and compassionate and I can tell he actually cares about his patients. Because I don’t have insurance he works with me to help find the most affordable medications for my budget.
Oct 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I've been seeing Dr. Grunsten for a few years and recommend him to friends and family. He is one of the best doctors I've ever had. Always feel better after seeing him even if it's just a quick visit. He is supportive, down to earth and great with technology and appointment reminders! Honestly would recommend him to everyone.
  • Long wait times
Sep 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
Dr. Grunsten is a very empathetic doctor who listens and makes you feel at ease. Very calm and very knowledgeable! I would recommend him 100%.
Jan 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Grunsten’s for about 6 years now. He is easy to talk to and I trust his medical judgement very much. He has kept me on the lowest possible doses of all medications and has never pushed a particular medication in me. He always has a great show recommendation or funny meme to show me. It’s very easy to schedule my regular appointments with him as well as on the rare occasion that I’ve had to reschedule a follow up. He can be reached by text message for scheduling which is very convenient. I am always seen on time or within 5 min of scheduled time and the (shared) waiting room is clean and comfortable. When you’re looking for a first time psychiatrist appt. or looking to switch/2nd opinion, it can be stressful and a little anxiety provoking. Dr. Grunsten made feel at ease from the get go and I highly recommend him. Best of luck to you! Keep your chin up, it will get better. :)
JMA1984 in Chicago, IL – Sep 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. G’s for the past 8 years, and feels he provides excellent care. He is professional, warm, funny and very skilled at medication management. Interstate him implicitly and highly recommend him.
Liz M in Naperville , IL – Jan 26, 2019
Excellent understanding and carrying ..been his patient for over 19 years
Maricela Ramirez – May 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
If I could give Dr G a 10, I would in an instant. He's a wonderful human being,on top of being a great doctor. He truly cares about his patients. Go see him once and you'll understand. Honestly the best doc I've ever had (and I've had a lot of them!)
  • Appointment was rushed
Todd V – Mar 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I see Dr. Grunsten through the Lake County Health Department. He's an amazing, caring guy that's always up to date on the latest available research and treatments.
Anon in Waukegan – Jul 14, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
Fantastic doctor! Really understands the frustration of the weight gain which some medications bring. He was able to adjust my meds and I dropped 35 pounds and I feel great! Highly recommend him especially if you are struggling with the weight gain with medicine!
Julie in Chicago, IL – Apr 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
Dr Grunsten really, really knows what he is doing. He has done for me what several others have not been able to do and I recommend him highly.
Chicago, IL – Mar 11, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
Dr. Grunsten changed my life for the better! I am beyond grateful I met him! He knows precisely what he is doing & actually takes the time to understand you & resolve any issue that is happening at the moment! I am very adamant that there is no psychiatrist better in the Chicagoland area. He exceeded my expectations! Thank you Dr.Grunsten!
Vanessa in Chicago,IL – Jul 09, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
He is very kind and very accessible! When you need him he goes above and beyond. He is accommodating even understands sometimes public transportation is the reason behind a delay. I moved away from the city and still come to town for my appointments! I have seen a lot of docs and I am so very grateful for his knowledge compassion and dedication to his patients! Don't miss out on a life changing experience!
Steven M in Chicago – May 24, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I have great respect for Dr. Grunsten. He is very knowledgeable with current medical information. Through the years I have found him very quick to respond to my calls with a very caring and friendly demeanor. I highly recommend him!
HD in Chicago – Mar 27, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I have upmost respect for Dr. Gurnsten ...he took care of me for years & I will miss him very much. He is an excellent Doctor. I highly recommend him.
SGordon in Chicago – Feb 24, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I have been seeing Dr. Grunsten for ~10 years. I had previously seen a number of psychiatrists who were very ineffective. I can not speak any more highly of his expertise, professionalism, dedication, and flexibility. He is always quick to respond to communications. He makes a great effort to provide ways to get medication and treatment that would otherwise be unaffordable. I have responsed negatively to most medications. However, he recently suggested a new medication that has changed my life.
Sincerely Grateful in Des Plaines – Feb 19, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
I am so pleased with the quality of service I receive from Dr. Grunsten, he is so easy to talk to and understand. Appointments and on time every time and I have never felt better in my life. I would highly and have recommended him to my family and friends.
Asweetguy in Chicago – Feb 05, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?
DR. Grunsten is a excellent dr. I have been his patient for many years. He is kind and always gets back to u right away. Now a days with Drs that is very rare. If he doesn't have a appointment time that fits ur schedule he always does his best to move things around or stay late to accommodate your needs. Dr. Grunstren is extremely knowledgeable in is his field . I strongly recommend him to anyone that is looking for a new physician. He is extremely compassionate about his patients and his work.
Tricia larose in Elmwood park il – Feb 04, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Grunsten, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Grunsten?

My goal is to help individuals achieve their highest level of functioning with the least possible side effects where medication is indicated and I keep...Read more

• Psychiatry