Dr. Robert Ference, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 54

Dr. Ference

Joint Plus Excel

28300 Orchard Lake Rd Ste 222 Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Dr. Robert Ference, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Farmington Hills, MI. Dr. Ference has more experience with Knee/Lower Limbs than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as DMC Huron Valley - Sinai Hospital and DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Ference to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Surgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Ference is affiliated with St. Mary Mercy Livonia Hospital Livonia, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Michigan

Frequently Treated by Dr. Ference

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Ference treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Ference treats other conditions, please contact the office at (248) 626-0135.

Knee/Lower Limbs

Knee and lower limb surgeons perform procedures such as total knee replacement, partial knee replacement, and tendor repair, to treat conditions including arthritis, ligament tears, or bone fractures.Compare with other Knee/Lower Limbs specialists.

Dr. Ference typically treats 75% more often than similar doctors

• Carpal Tunnel Release
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Femur or Knee
  • Excision of Scapula, Clavicle, Rib, or Sternum
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot and Ankle Ligament and Tendon Repair
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
  • Pelvic Fracture
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Separated Femoral Epiphysis Treatment
  • Shoulder Dislocation
  • Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
  • Spondylosis
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures
  • Total Knee Arthroplasty With Robotic Assistance
  • Trigger Finger
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Dr. Ference accepts

Dr. Ference accepts the following insurance:

HAP Insurance
Preferred PPO
Priority Health
Priority PPO

Dr. Ference's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Ference

Dr. Ference?
  • Explained conditions well (29)
  • Appointment scheduling (28)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (28)
  • Appointment was rushed (1)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (1)
Dr. Ference is a top-notch surgeon, the BEST! When I was having terrible knee pain, my friend who had knee replacement from him referred me and I went for a consultation visit. He showed me my x-rays and there was no doubt that I would need to have total knee replacement as it was bone on bone. He discussed and showed me exactly how the replacement would go and what to expect during and after surgery and physical therapy. I had my knee surgeries five months apart and my x-rays show that my replacement is straight as an arrow. Everything turned out perfect. I am walking great and my gait is normal again. Dr. Ference is extremely caring and has a wonderful bedside manner. He is a very trusted and respected surgeon. His office staff is accommodating and friendly which is a plus!
Cheryl Simons – Jan 03, 2021
Thank you, Cheryl!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
I started a new job and had a torn rotator cuff which made my job nearly impossible. I went to Dr. Ference who listened to my concerns, discussed my options and suggested a Cortizone shot to relieve the pain so I could continue working. I went to work the same day as the pain subsided almost immediately. I was able to do my job without pain and finish the season. I know I will eventually need to have rotator cuff surgery and will be going back to see Dr. Ference for the surgery. I appreciated him understanding my circumstances and timing of my job. He has a great way of explaining your injuries and how to deal with them. Dr. Ference and his staff are very caring and understanding! I would definitely highly recommend him as I have not met a more informed and caring surgeon.
Doug S. – Jan 03, 2021
Thank you, Doug!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
I have been patient of Dr. Ference since 2004. I torn my meniscus on my left knee. I went to a different doctor and they stated nothing was wrong with my knee, even though I was in great pain. I made an appointment with Dr. Ference. He determined my meniscus was torn and scheduled surgery. Since my surgery, I have not had any pain and I have full range of motion in my left knee again. Dr. Ference is great surgeon.
Michael Thompson – Dec 22, 2020
Dr. Ference's Reply – Flag
Thank you for your review and rating, Michael!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr. Robert Ference performed a bi-lateral total knee replacement on me 14 years ago at age 58. Living in Michigan makes me alternate exercising activities based on the weather. I am a very active person which includes biking (18 miles), ice skating (3 times a week), water skiing,walking, snow skiing, elliptical machines, coaching high school Varsity golf and softball. Being a pitching coach has required me to get into a catchers stance all these years to catch my pitchers. Dr. Ference's outstanding surgery has allowed me to continue to do this even at age 72 now. In November 2020 Dr. Ference just performed enhancement surgery on my left knee because I broke the plastic center post. After only 2 weeks I am at 130 degrees of knee flex and will be catching again in a few weeks. I cannot say enough how grateful I am to have found Dr. Ference and thank him enough times for keeping me in tip top shape so as I can continue to lead my active life style.
Bob Koltvedt – Nov 26, 2020
Dr. Ference's Reply – Flag
Thank you for your review and rating, Bob!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr. Ferrance did both of my hips and I feel incredibly great I came in with the worsted pain and now I feel awesome. I was referred by Linda, and Yvette Ford . Love you all
Yvette Williams – Nov 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
A friend of mine who is a retired surgeon recommended Dr. Ference for my knee replacement. So I was expecting a very competent doctor. What I didn't expect was his kind manner and personal attention. He immediately explained the procedure in great detail in a way that I could easily understand. He answered my questions and concerns. THEN, he asked if we could pray together. Being a Christian, I was then very confident that I was in good hands. My follow up visits were met with the same attention and reassuring conversation. My surgery could not have been more perfect and my rehab has been amazingly effective. Most of the credit goes to Dr. Ference for his very talented skills and his careful attention to details afterward. I would recommend him to anyone. I am forever grateful to my friend who recommended this fine person!
Nancy Sarowski – Sep 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr. Ference is one amazing Doctor. He cares about you way more than any doctor I've met before. He took on my wife's difficult surgery when even u of m would not. He cares about his patients and does and amazing job!!!
Joshua Lisiecki – Aug 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr. Ference is the most amazing surgeon I have ever met. I am a 40 year old woman who has had 12 knee major knee surgeries, so I am a unique case. My tibia was dislocating and several other doctors refused to help me. Dr. Ference knew immediately what was wrong and how to fix it, giving me my 12th surgery. I am now able to walk on my own, with no problems. On top of being immensely intelligent, he is also one of the kindest people I think I've met. He genuinely cares how you are doing. His staff is also very kind, and always take the time to make sure I have everything I need. I cannot recommend him any higher.
Sarah Mertz-Lisiecki – Aug 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr Ference is one of the best doctors in Michigan . I had total knee replacement Dr.Ference prayed for me and reassured me that he would be there for me anytime i needed him.the surgery was a total success i am walking better than i have in years with hardly any pain and no pain pills 8 weeks no cane or walker.Thank u Dr. Ference and staff
Aug 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
On March 3, 2020, Dr. Ference performed a total knee replacement of my right knee. Prior to the surgery he reviewed all aspects of the procedure with my wife and me. I found him considerate, knowledgeable, caring and sincerely interested in my condition as well as what he could do to make my knee function properly again. He went the extra mile to get me enrolled in a trial using the X-10 machine before and after my surgery, which I believe has greatly accelerated my healing and continued recovery. I am so grateful for his skills and his knowledge which certainly have allowed me to return to a healthy knee condition which I have not had in over a decade. And I look forward to continued healing of my knee thanks to Dr. Ference. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing orthopedic surgery!
Rick Rockwell – Apr 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
I have never had more trust and respect for a doctor until I met Dr. Ference. What an excellent surgeon! His knowledge, kindness and his undivided attention made me a believer. His explanation of my knee replacement and what to expect afterwards was spot on. He is truly a man of God and is not ashamed to proclaim it. I have never had a doctor pray with me before surgery and praise and give all the glory to God together afterwards. What a comfort that was for me. Dr. Ference is truly a blessing from God!
Thomas Knaus – Mar 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr. Ference has replaced both hips, performed a torn rotator cuff procedure and recently helped with tendonitis in my elbow. He is not only an outstanding surgeon, his bedside manner is second to none. He is more than happy to answer all of my questions and is sincerely interested in my quality of life. I could not lead the very active life that I do without his ongoing support.
Jun 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr. Ference is friendly, kind, and knowledgeable. I was very comfortable with him. I saw Dr. Ference III after I fell and couldn't walk due to a knee injury. Dr. Ference diagnosed a torn meniscus and thoroughly explained the surgical procedure to me. The surgery went well andrecovery was quick. I would definitely see Dr. Ference again and also refer friends and family to him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
dr ference is a excellent doctor had to manipulate my knee he helped me to recovery in know time which help me get back to work my wait in the doctors office was know more then 10 minutes was very friendly and very professional went to another doctor this doctor didnt have time to heip and the time to see me
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
execellent doctor, very attentive,excellent surgeon.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Great Doctor, He did a knee repacement for me and my knee better than it has been since my twenty's. I like the fact he uses the latest technology to aline my leg. He personally did follow up calls to check up on me.
May 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
This is my second surgery, first knee 4 years ago, I didn’t consider anyone else when my left knee gave out. Dr. Ference is truly a caring, compassionate surgeon. He explains fully your care. He does not rush through your visit. Follow up care is fantastic. The office staff is very helpful. We recommend him highly!!! I am 80 years young and doing the home PT machine. On my 2 week check up I walked with a cane and at times moved around without it..
May 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
Dr Ference is, by far, the most caring, professional doctor I have ever visited. He ALWAYS has his patient’s best interests at the forefront of his practice. He never rushes and explains everything so carefully.
Mar 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
As an R.N., I knew Dr. Ference as a resident years ago and I was impressed not only with his skill but he was also respectful and humble. In 2015 when knee pain was keeping me from a level of activity that I enjoyed, I went to Dr. Ference and in April 2015 I had a right TKR. I can now walk my dog 3 miles/day and keep up with my toddler grandchildren. I have referred several friends to Dr. Ference and they have also had positive experiences and outcomes.
Debbie in Dearborn, MI – Feb 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?
I had left knee makoplasty in May 2018 and right total hip replacement 1-22-19. I am very grateful to Dr. Ference for the excellent treatment and care before, during and after both surgeries. He is very thorough and patient and makes every effort to explain and demonstrate things. He is very easy to talk to and makes you feel at ease. Great bedside manner! His office staff are very friendly and professional. Sharon, his office nurse, is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Richard Habermas in Dearborn, MI – Feb 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Robert Ference, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Ference?

Recognizing that every every person's body, mind and spirit is unique, Dr. Ference takes the time to truly listen to his patients, getting to know...Read more

Wayne State University Medical School, Detroit Graduated in top 10% of his class Member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society

I'm an...