Dr. Robert J. Cerfolio, MD

Dr. Robert J. Cerfolio, MD

Thoracic Surgery | Male | 54 years old

We offer the most experienced robotic thoracic surgical team in the world and optimal pt care and satisfactionRead more

Dr. Cerfolio's Experience

See how Dr. Cerfolio's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Cerfolio

Dr. Cerfolio accepts 9 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Cerfolio has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

×

Dr. Cerfolio's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cerfolio to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Cerfolio
Dr. Cerfolio's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (129)
in Montgomery, AL |
when I first meet Dr. Cerfolio was the first time on 10/27/16 i came in for a Referral visit , I''m from Montgomery, Ala. when he came into the room with his Resident,His Nurse Practionist an another Physcian he came in with a smile on his face, he has a great bedside manner, he explain the procedure, he ask and answer all question , for Surgery he explain and i was there for two days like he said, the staff were excellent , I would refer Dr. Cerfolio to other patient. and for my follow that
in Gadsden, AL |
Excellent, caring professional, well known and explains things a way you can understand them.
in Columbus, GA |
Dr. Cerfolio is an amazing man and surgeon! Dr. Cerfolio performed an Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy on my husband in September. My husband has not had any surgical complications and he is now eating and getting stronger every day! Dr. Cerfolio's belief in the power of prayer was important to us. God uses him in powerful ways. We are thankful every day for Dr. Cerfolio's knowledge, skills, and caring ways. He also has a wonderful staff in his office and superb nursing staff at UAB.
in Montgomery, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is one of the best physicians I have ever seen. I am in the medical profession and deal with doctors everyday. He impressed me at every visit. He is direct and informative, yet very comforting and caring. When you talk with him, you feel like your case is the only case he is working on. I am also impressed with the respect he shows his staff and other professionals. I can't say enough good things about him. We were so blessed to have him as our mother's surgeon.
in Troy, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is a caring understanding person. Most of all he is a man of God. He answers all questions that you have. He is honest. I trust his decisions for my health. He explains what will happen during surgery. We have seen Dr. Cerfolio for the last nine years.
in Moulton, Al |
Started with cancer on three ribs, was able to remove and was told that he needed to keep close observation to be sure there were no surprises in near future. Sure enough by closely observing thru scans Dr. Cerfolio located another growth quickly handled. Thankful for all his timely followup.
in Tuscaloosa, AL |
I grew to love Dr. Cerfolio. At the age of 18, I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I was very nervous and scared but he made all my nervousness go away. Overtime I became less worried because I knew I had the best doctor taking on my procedure. He's such a Christian and wonderful man. I wish there was more people in the world like him.
in Waterloo, AL |
My name is Paul Holloway and I had a baseball size thymoma tumor sitting on the aorta and with no other choice but surgery was refered to Dr. Cerfolio and his team. I meet with Dr. Cerfolio and his team to reveiw the surgery and what to expect the day of surgery and during recovery. Dr.Cerfolio and his team are very professional and caring from the time I first meet them till the day I was released from his care. I would highly recommend Dr. Cerfolio and his team to my family and friends.
Fayette, AL |
He is very professional and knowledgeable in his field. He has a very positive approach explaining what your options are and lets you make the decision you feel is best for your diagnosis.
Great Doctor
in Decatur, AL |
What a wonderful, smart, caring to all details of a patient, true man of God. Loved that he would only do what he would do for his own mother or wife. His staff is very caring as well.
in Eclectic, AL |
I found Dr. Cerfolio to be a kind and intelligent man. He is obviously a brilliant surgeon and appears to be a man of God.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr Cerfolio came highly recommended. Once I met with him and had my procedure, I know first hand why he is so highly recommend. He is kind, answered all my questions and very compassionate. A very gifted surgeon.
in Brent Al. |
i had cancer in my right middle lobe of lung. He has perfected a procedure that he can go in and remove the cancer if your meet the criteria for his procedure. Thank the good Lord he was able to remove the cancer. He and his staff were just great. He gave the credit for his work to our Lord.
in Gulf Breeze, FL |
First of all I want to thank Dr. Cerfolio and his team for saving my life. I had an esophagectomy on June 1st 2016 via the Ivor Lewis robotic method. Under the skill and direction of Dr. Cerfolio I had a successful surgery and was able to go home after only 8 days. I would highly recommend Dr. Cerfolio and his team at UAB (University of Alabama Birmingham) for this type of surgery to any and all who require it.
Washington, D.C. |
His level of expertise, experience, capability and compassion are world-renowned. He teaches other from around the world on robotic surgical techniques. I would not go to anyone else.
in Bessemer, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio did my mothers surgery twelve years ago. We saw him last week and he gave her a clean bill of health. He is truly an amazing doctor and person. I will always highly recommend him to anyone who needs a thoracic surgeon.
in Pachuta, MS |
My husband,age 71, had most of his esophagus remove due to cancer and acalasia. After chemo and radiation Dr. Cerfolio and his team preformed an esophagogastrectomy with the use of robotics. Dr. Cerfolio is a very meticulous surgeon and a very caring person. My husband did his walking, stairs and breathing excercises and came home on day 7 after surgery, due to following Dr. Cerfolio instructions.We were very blessed in this past year and Dr. Cerfolio was one of our greatest blessing. God Bless!
in Tyler, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio performed the Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy procedure on my 69 yr old dad. We are very happy with everything he done and how well he explained what he was going to and how he was going to do it. My dad was a little ill with not being able to drink anything for 12 day. that was the only problem he had but over all Dr Cerfolio it a very good Dr and we would recommend him to anyone.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio performed the Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy procedure on my 73 yr old dad. It is impossible to put into words the appreciation our family has for Dr. Cerfolio and his staff. The nurses who took care of him were thoroughly trained with the recovery process for this procedure. It was a tremendous relief to our family knowing he was in good hands. Not only did they take excellent care of him, they prayed with us and for us. My father is 8 weeks post op and no longer has a feeding tube!
in Trussville, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is confindent in his field and very direct regarding what his plan is for your care. I had a large tumor that was discovered during a general exam. It was said by many physicians that it could not be removed but he evaluated the situation and was confident he could do the surgery. He and his team were great. I am 10 months recovering from the surgery and doing well. There were some struggles in the recovery but it never failed that I could reach his office at any time.
in Prattville, AL |
My Carciniod tumor was fully removed and 1 month post-op I am doing well. Because of Dr. Cerfolio's expertise, the surgery could be done robotically and less of my lung tissue had to be removed. Cerfolio reviews everything and has great staff to help him. I have already recommended him to multiple people and constantly speak his praises, because he is an expert in Carciniod tumors.
in Elmore, AL |
absolutely, i would recommend this doctor, he is pleasant ,smart caring,and a man of God, he has a great team of people working with him ,Dr.Cerfolio and his staff took very good care of me while in the UAB hospitalhe is a five star Dr.one word to sum this up ,''AWESOME''
in Dadeville, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is a brilliant and talented surgeon with a great bedside manner. He sincerely cares about his patients. My experience could not have been any better and I am grateful for the care I received from Dr. Cerfolio and his team. His staff responds quickly and it is comforting to know that they are just a phone call away. They are very efficient at sending prescriptions to my pharmacy and they patiently answer my questions. My wife and I are very pleased and thankful.
in Montgomery, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is a top notch surgeon. He was professional and very caring during the first initial doctor visit, to surgery and then the follow-up appointment. Our family was blessed to have him perform our Mom's surgery. I would highly recommend him.
Compassionate and caring.
in Tuscaloosa, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is very professional and well-respected. I would highly recommend him to everyone.
in Shorter, AL |
Very thorough, excellent, very caring, answered all questions, good with my family and did everything he could to help me. Very easy to work with and listens. I would highly recommend Dr. Cerfolio.
in Ridgeland, MS |
I was referred to Dr. Cerfolio for a 2nd opinion for treatment of a carcinoid lung tumor. After my appointment, I had so many questions as I processed all of the information. He took time from his busy schedule to visit with me on the phone, and addressed all of my concerns. He truly went above and beyond in helping me through this process. I had a robotic lobectomy on 2-26-16 and feel great. I am so thankful to have connected with this amazing surgeon who genuinely cares for his patients.
in Wedowee, AL |
How fortunate I am to be a patient of this good Christian man, who happens to be an excellent thoracic surgeon. I could not have had better care at UAB Hospital, Birmingham, following the Esophagogastrectomy. I continue to receive excellent follow-up care from Amedisys Home Health care services. My family has received timely responses when questions arose and we are healing physically and mentally. This Doctor and his staff are highly respected by the nursing staff at UAB.
in Destin, FL |
Dr Cerfolio was highly recommended by other patients. I found him to be very understanding and specific about what he was going to do . He made things easy to understand. I would go back to him if my cancer returns. He is a good man who cares about his associates and patients.
in Birmingham, AL |
I will recommend highly. He was patient, courteous, knowledgeable, and professional with a great bed side manner.
in COTTONDALE AL |
I had left lower lobotomy 01/29/2016. No compliance ratio a complications. 03/03/2016 I am doing great. Began chemo 02/25/2016.
in Montgomery, AL |
The BEST Lung Cancer Specialist in the World. Very Professional. He knows his Stuff Great Bedside Manner with Patients. He answers Any and All questions openly and honestly. A strong Christian Man! He operated on my 89-year old mother. Great Results! HE IS THE BEST! Mike Montgomery, AL
in decatur,al |
excellent provider of information. Staff made referrals and prescriptions immediately. They were willing to change their schedule to meet my needs.
fantastic great guy
in Montgomery, AL |
I would not only recommend Dr Cerfolio because of his experience and great knowledge of Thoracic surgery, but also for his kindness and genuine concern for your well-being. His nursing staff I encountered during my hospital stay are phenomenal women. They are lovely people who tend to you and answer your concerns. The doctor has a humble spirit knowing God has blessed his hands for surgery and a wonderful sense of humor.
Have you seen Dr. Robert J. Cerfolio, MD?
Are you Dr. Cerfolio?

Compare Dr. Cerfolio

Dr. Cerfolio's Care Philosophy

Dr. Cerfolio's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Thoracic Surgery
  •  Board certified in General Surgery, Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery and Thoracic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Alabama not available

Dr. Cerfolio has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

Why It Matters: Dr. Cerfolio's Board Certifications

Completed in 1991

Mayo Clinic Rochester

Completed in 1993

Mayo Clinic Rochester

Dr. Cerfolio does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cerfolio and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Thoracic Surgery
  • General Surgery

• Cardiac Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
  • Chest CT (incl. Heart and Lungs)
  • Decortication and Pleurectomy
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Esophagectomy (Esophagogastrostomy, Esophagojejunostomy)
  • Esophagomyotomy
  • Esophagomyotomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Excision of Esophageal Lesion
  • Excision of Tracheal Tumor or Stenosis
  • Head and Neck Surgery
  • Heart Surgery
  • Hernia Repair
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Laparoscopic Diaphragmatic or Paraesophageal Hernia Repair With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Lobectomy of Lung With Robotic Assistance
  • Lobectomy, Open
  • Lung Removal (Partial or Complete): Open, or Resection of Lung Tumor: Open
  • Lung Surgery
  • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
  • Lymphadenectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy (MIE)
  • Nerve Block, Sympathetic
  • Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic (VATS) Lobectomy
  • Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS) or Thoracotomy
  • da Vinci® Lobectomy

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.